Is this Flight too early?

Looking at celebrity Beyond cruise for next year ending in Rome.

The only non stop flight from Fco is 10:00 a.m.

The ship docs at 5:00 am. Would you go for it or plan on staying over extra night?

I know it’s up to my comfort zone but appreciate any comments. Thank you!

I would stay an extra night.  10am international flight...could be very tight.  I wouldn't expect disembark to take place much before 6:30-7AM.  I'd rather have a day to rest and explore the city then travel next day 

I think it is an hour drive to FCO from the port and you are catching an international flight.  I don't know if FCO is one of the European airports that is suffering the chaos that you read about today.  Even if you did self-walk off (which you would most certainly have to do), it would be tight--even if nothing goes wrong.  So my vote is also stay the extra night or find a later flight.  Or, go for it and be willing to have a back up plan in case you don't make it.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

The standard advice, prior to 2022, has been that one should fly in the day before a cruise and stay overnight in a hotel. With the travel craziness of 2022, there is a train of thought to stretch that out to 2 days before, especially if international or connecting flights are involved.

This extra day local allows for the possibility of testing, if required. 

P.S. Some folks have taken to cruising with carry-on luggage only, to obviate the need for airport luggage check and possible loss. This is new and gaining acceptance. It is a huge compromise but might be worth it. In general, those carryon folks completely give up on the concept of more formal attire of any sort for dinners.

Edited by CruiseMrB

26 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

The standard advice, prior to 2022, has been that one should fly in the day before a cruise and stay overnight in a hotel. With the travel craziness of 2022, there is a train of thought to stretch that out to 2 days before, especially if international or connecting flights are involved.

P.S. Some folks have taken to cruising with carry-on luggage only, to obviate the need for airport luggage check and possible loss. This is new and gaining acceptance. It is a huge compromise but might be worth it. In general, those carryon folks completely give up on the concept of more formal attire of any sort for dinners.

The OP is asking about the flight on disembarkation day.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

The question was not for getting to the cruise, it was for a flight back home.

As to the original question, unless I had a horseshoe in my backside, I would stay the extra night close to the airport. That is just too tight considering you really don't know when you will be off the ship.

48 minutes ago, Guest said:

Looking at celebrity Beyond cruise for next year ending in Rome.

The only non stop flight from Fco is 10:00 a.m.

The ship docs at 5:00 am. Would you go for it or plan on staying over extra night?

I know it’s up to my comfort zone but appreciate any comments. Thank you!

No.  Find a later flight or stay another day at a hotel (perhaps near the airport).

There's no way I'd risk that. The chances of missing your flight are far to high. You pretty much need to count on a miracle or two, and that's a lot to ask (even in Rome).

If I were you I'd stay over (a couple days, if at all possible), enjoy a bit of Rome, and head out a little more relaxed. 

My first alternative would be a later same day flight with a connection.  

It’s not ideal, but flying westward you gain a lot of time and might still be able to get back at a decent hour.  Also, it’s not like flying to the ship where less chance of losing luggage or missing the ship is super important.

See if there is a package that takes you from the port to Rome. One or two nights in Rome and then take the nonstop. You have to get to the airport by 7:30- 8:00 which means a very early breakfast. Our hotel ( years ago) packed us a lovely breakfast box with rolls, jam, butter, juice , cheese and ham that we ate in the car service which they arranged. You’ll never make the flight same day from the ship. The port is just too far away from the airport.

• Like 1

There are too many variables to even consider it. What if disembarkation is delayed? Traffic, we’ve done this trip once and it took us almost an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the airport. The airport is huge and if you are flying international you have to change terminals. Long story short, we walked off the ship about 7:30 and got to the gate around 10:45 for an 11:30 flight.

Is the reward worth the risk? Only you can answer that.

I'm risk tolerant and would not hesitate to book the 1000 flight from FCO.

I was one of the first to disembark my ship at Citivecchia (0630-0700 ish) this past June. I prearranged a driver and was at FCO by 0740 and at my gate by 0800. My FCO-VIE flight was at 9 am.

If it were me... I am a nervous nilly... I wouldn't try it. I have an additional reason to the ones stated... just the planning and thoughts about risk..would impact my ability to enjoy the last day at sea. So for me... and this is a personal thing.. I am willing to take more time... so that I can enjoy every day of my cruise... but that is me... I always have back up plans for my back up plan.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:36 PM, Nado44 said:

I'm risk tolerant and would not hesitate to book the 1000 flight from FCO.

I was one of the first to disembark my ship at Citivecchia (0630-0700 ish) this past June. I prearranged a driver and was at FCO by 0740 and at my gate by 0800. My FCO-VIE flight was at 9 am.

wonder if flying to Chicago would be as easy...

We have cruised to/from Rome 4 times; 2 of the 4 times there was a 24 hr strike of public transit workers.  So while our prearranged driver was there, what should have been less than  a hour drive was 3 hrs.  If public transit goes on strike every road is crammed with cars trying to get to work, airport.  Have a back up plan.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, kearney said:

If it were me... I am a nervous nilly... I wouldn't try it. I have an additional reason to the ones stated... just the planning and thoughts about risk..would impact my ability to enjoy the last day at sea. So for me... and this is a personal thing.. I am willing to take more time... so that I can enjoy every day of my cruise... but that is me... I always have back up plans for my back up plan.

You and me both!

• Like 1

You could do self assist at around 07:00 and be in a car that picks you up at the pier by 07:15, hence by 08:15 - 08:30 you should be at FCO. If you fly Business Class or have a higher tier status card that enables you to use priority lines no problem. Pre Covid 2.5 hours before departure should have been no problem either, now it will depend on the airport situation next year, if it will be more towards pre COVID RE staffing etc you should be absolutely ok. Given there are uncertainties it is a bit of a gamble at this stage.

My last cruise  was in June. Our flight home to the UK was 11.30. We booked a private transfer to FCO using Civitavecchia Cabs. For your early flight you will need to self disembark the ship - I seem to recall you can disembark around 0630 - it only takes a few minutes to get to the arrivals hall  Our cab was booked for 0645

It took us around 45 mins to get to FCO  then you have to queue up to check in. May be we were unlucky but getting through security was chaotic with long queues - we found it stressful!

Hopefully you will make your 10am flight ok but personally the worry would add to my collection of grey hairs.

Edited by lydnsyd