8/12/22 PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS

LACruiser88

23 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I understand what you are saying, but how does that compare to a Hawaii cruise where you are in the middle of the ocean for several days?  There must be a government mandate along the way for the Panama Canal?

That was a point I made earlier about Hawaii, that might be an exception. Special itineraries?  We don’t know yet. 

We are just speculating now. Waiting for the update of health protocols….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Where does it say stops in Canada?

Voyages that include Canada:
Please note that cruises that begin, end or visit Canada will require sailing guests ages 12 and above who are not Canadian citizens be fully vaccinated, unless they are granted a medical exemption. Find out if you can enter Canada at travel.gc.ca^. Note all Alaska voyages include Canadian ports.

This is from Princess website;  it says vacinnated it does not mention having to get a covid test to visit Canada.

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone should start a Canada specific question on testing. Closed loop U.S. cruises that don't involve Canada are something completely different.

Hawaii is not a "special itinerary". It is essentially an all U.S. cruise except for the token stop in Ensenada.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

Hey thanks for the clarification.  Cheers

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

First, I don't know if it was a typo or not, but it says up to 15 nights, not including 15 nights and doesn't use the phrase "16 nights or over."  If you look at the declarative statement that it definitely must be a cruise of less than 16 days.  A 16 day sailing would entail 15 nights, so it can't have any more than 14 nights.  I'm just posting this as a precaution for those considering a 15 night trip.  I would double check with Princess first, rather than presuming no test is needed.

It does say 16 nights or longer’ on the princess website. So I think it’s ok as mine is 15 nights, recorded as a ‘15 day cruise’. But will be happier when Princess confirm for definite. Fingers crossed 

“Guests sailing on voyages 16 nights or longer, or sailing on full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other specific itineraries, need to take a supervised test within three days of embarkation (guests 5 and older). Guests on these types of voyages will be contacted directly by an Ocean Navigator to assist” 

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

We are just speculating now. Waiting for the update of health protocols….

Well, guess what?  The page added yesterday has just been updated to AUG 13 (it was not changed earlier this morning).  Check it out again:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, guess what?  The page added yesterday has just been updated to AUG 13 (it was not changed earlier this morning).  Check it out again:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/

Seems b2b info still the same no change in protocol.

I still would like to know if Hawaii sailings, some are 15 and some 16 are

considered trans ocean?  Their description of trans ocean, anyway.

Also, what are these special itineraries that would be 15 days or less, where a test would be required?

Doesn’t affect me, as ours are longer cruises.  But, interesting…

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, what are these special itineraries that would be 15 days or less, where a test would be required?

WC segments?

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

I have a TA leaving England on Sept. 2, with a duration of 15 days.  According to the section on "Cruises leaving the UK until Sept. 5", I only need a self-test/self-attestation to board, or at least that's how I read it (and maybe some wishful thinking!).

5 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I have a TA leaving England on Sept. 2, with a duration of 15 days.  According to the section on "Cruises leaving the UK until Sept. 5", I only need a self-test/self-attestation to board, or at least that's how I read it (and maybe some wishful thinking!).

Read that again.  I see it as an exception to the self test….trans ocean is definitely a Trans Atlantic cruise.  

UK sailing:

With these guidelines, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days with the exception of Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other special itineraries will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to upload proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady. Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test before boarding.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Read that again.  I see it as an exception to the self test….trans ocean is definitely a Trans Atlantic cruise.  

UK sailing:

With these guidelines, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days with the exception of Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other special itineraries will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to upload proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady. Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test before boarding.

Yet it also says this:

image.png.3c3e42e8b9139c6ebe4fdc022e172ebb.png

Isn’t all this discussion about Canada a bit disproportionate?  There are only two cruises scheduled to depart or return to Vancouver after 9/30. A R/T to Hawaii and a departure from Vancouver that ends in Los Angeles. Once these new procedures are implemented on 9/16, Canada will be largely irrelevant. When the next season resumes in 2023, I am certain that ArriveCan or whatever it is called will have been sunsetted. At least that’s my humble opinion. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCThunder said:

Yet it also says this:

image.png.3c3e42e8b9139c6ebe4fdc022e172ebb.png

Yes, I read it again.  Lol 

I see what you’re saying but it has been the protocol all along.  I think they left off the paragraph on the updated sailing Through Sep 5… page.

Needs clarifying:

It states that as an exception on the Q & A pages for sailings from the UK.

Also on the bottom of the testing and vaccination page for effective Sep 6 sailings…

^Voyages 16 or longer, as well as full Panama Canal transits, Trans-Ocean crossings, voyages ending in Canada and other special itineraries.

I’d try, I said try to get it clarified.  Hmmm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Isn’t all this discussion about Canada a bit disproportionate?  There are only two cruises scheduled to depart or return to Vancouver after 9/30. A R/T to Hawaii and a departure from Vancouver that ends in Los Angeles. Once these new procedures are implemented on 9/16, Canada will be largely irrelevant. When the next season resumes in 2023, I am certain that ArriveCan or whatever it is called will have been sunsetted. At least that’s my humble opinion. 

I thought Canada was always pretty irrelevant to the US.  😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Someone should start a Canada specific question on testing. Closed loop U.S. cruises that don't involve Canada are something completely different.

Hawaii is not a "special itinerary". It is essentially an all U.S. cruise except for the token stop in Ensenada.

Hawaii cruises from the PNW stop in Victoria. So Canada rules will apply

I just had an extended Chat on Princess.com.  IDK who the rep was checking with on a Saturday, but here is what I got back on B2B voyages in Europe on/after Sep 6.

If the guest booked individual voyages and all are under 16 nights, then no test is required.  Could be B2B(2B,..etc).  This is what I did (my habit anyway) and we are on 7+7+11.

If the guest booked a logical voyage - say the 21-nighters in Med that are really 7+7+7 - then a test is required.

Also, if any segment of a B2B(2B..etc) is > 15 nights, then a test is required for continuing on that segment (but it may be complimentary on board according to rep).  

So, it does bear the obvious question.  Guest #1 boards the ship having booked 7+7+7 and requires no test.  Guest #2 boards the ship having booked 21-night and they do require a test.  Both guests on the ship for the same amount of time.  Doesn't quite make sense.

I would not be surprised to see this changed/clarified in FAQ's.  But the above is what I got today.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winty said:

It does say 16 nights or longer’ on the princess website. So I think it’s ok as mine is 15 nights, recorded as a ‘15 day cruise’. But will be happier when Princess confirm for definite. Fingers crossed 

“Guests sailing on voyages 16 nights or longer, or sailing on full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other specific itineraries, need to take a supervised test within three days of embarkation (guests 5 and older). Guests on these types of voyages will be contacted directly by an Ocean Navigator to assist” 

You are correct, I see what you were referencing on Princess' website.  I just checked the itinerary for a "15 Day" Hawaii cruise on Ruby in October.  It is clearly advertised as a 15 Day voyage, but PAX are actually onboard 16 calendar days.  It looks as if Princess is not counting disembarkation day as a day onboard, making it only 15 days.  The cruise is October 8 to 23.  It would be much easier to understand if they either quantified by number of days or number of nights and have that standard be consistent in their releases.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Who knows what the future will hold. Just be prepared for changes and stay flexible 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just had an extended Chat on Princess.com.  IDK who the rep was checking with on a Saturday, but here is what I got back on B2B voyages in Europe on/after Sep 6.

If the guest booked individual voyages and all are under 16 nights, then no test is required.  Could be B2B(2B,..etc).  This is what I did (my habit anyway) and we are on 7+7+11.

If the guest booked a logical voyage - say the 21-nighters in Med that are really 7+7+7 - then a test is required.

Also, if any segment of a B2B(2B..etc) is > 15 nights, then a test is required for continuing on that segment (but it may be complimentary on board according to rep).  

So, it does bear the obvious question.  Guest #1 boards the ship having booked 7+7+7 and requires no test.  Guest #2 boards the ship having booked 21-night and they do require a test.  Both guests on the ship for the same amount of time.  Doesn't quite make sense.

I would not be surprised to see this changed/clarified in FAQ's.  But the above is what I got today.

That's the same thing I was told via chat. 

We booked a 30 day cruse that could also be booked as a 14/16 day.  The agent said we would NOT have to test during the cruise, while those that booked as 2 cruises would have to test.

We booked it as 30 day to avoid the turn around day testing.  We usually book as 2 cruises to get extra shareholder credit and mini bar set up, but didn't want to risk testing positive(assymptomatic) and not being allowed to continue on cruise.  I guess we will just wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Level six said:

That's the same thing I was told via chat. 

We booked a 30 day cruse that could also be booked as a 14/16 day.  The agent said we would NOT have to test during the cruise, while those that booked as 2 cruises would have to test.

We booked it as 30 day to avoid the turn around day testing.  We usually book as 2 cruises to get extra shareholder credit and mini bar set up, but didn't want to risk testing positive(asymptomatic) and not being allowed to continue on cruise.  I guess we will just wait and see.

Seems a bit contradictory to what I was told.  You are going to need a test since your voyage is > 15 nights to board the ship.  (Perhaps you weren't suggesting otherwise). 

If someone had booked 14 + 16, then the second leg fall under the testing requirement.  So that person needs a test before continuing on the second leg.  You don't, but you do need one to board. 

ETA:  Now let's change the scenario to two 14-night cruises that you book as 28-night logical.  You need a test to board and that's the end of testing.  However, the guest with 14+14 needs no test at all.

Edited by Steelers36

7 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I've never seen a Princess Hawaii cruise from any port but San Francisco or San Pedro.

There are two (once a year).

Currently Not Available
Tue, Oct 18, 2022 on Crown Princess
Tuesday, October 18, 2022on Crown Princess
Cruise Details
Our Lowest "No Frills" Fare
With all core Princess® experiences
HVR16A.jpg
Interior from
$ 1,449*
Guests 3 & 4:$699
Sun, Apr 14, 2024 on Ruby Princess

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Seems a bit contradictory to what I was told.  You are going to need a test since your voyage is > 15 nights to board the ship.  (Perhaps you weren't suggesting otherwise). 

If someone had booked 14 + 16, then the second leg fall under the testing requirement.  So that person needs a test before continuing on the second leg.  You don't, but you do need one to board. 

ETA:  Now let's change the scenario to two 14-night cruises that you book as 28-night logical.  You need a test to board and that's the end of testing.  However, the guest with 14+14 needs no test at all.

Ain't Cruise Critic great for Princess !!  Free beta testing for any and all new rollouts ...  Hope they are paying attention

• Haha 4