8/12/22 PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS

LACruiser88

17 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I've never seen a Princess Hawaii cruise from any port but San Francisco or San Pedro.

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Those both START and END in Vancouver,  which isn't what we are talking about since the original press release specifically excludes Canada.

I apologize for misunderstanding your post.  I thought you had mentioned not seeing any Hawaii cruises except from San Francisco or San Pedro.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just had an extended Chat on Princess.com.  IDK who the rep was checking with on a Saturday, but here is what I got back on B2B voyages in Europe on/after Sep 6.

If the guest booked individual voyages and all are under 16 nights, then no test is required.  Could be B2B(2B,..etc).  This is what I did (my habit anyway) and we are on 7+7+11.

If the guest booked a logical voyage - say the 21-nighters in Med that are really 7+7+7 - then a test is required.

Also, if any segment of a B2B(2B..etc) is > 15 nights, then a test is required for continuing on that segment (but it may be complimentary on board according to rep).  

So, it does bear the obvious question.  Guest #1 boards the ship having booked 7+7+7 and requires no test.  Guest #2 boards the ship having booked 21-night and they do require a test.  Both guests on the ship for the same amount of time.  Doesn't quite make sense.

I would not be surprised to see this changed/clarified in FAQ's.  But the above is what I got today.

Thanks for this Steeler36

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

RE: Canada

ArriveCan now says:

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Interesting. This says otherwise

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, San10s said:

Yes.. your cruise would be under the new process of Vaccinated passengers would NOT need to have a Covid test.  

We are on the Royal 15 nights and 16 days…. So no testing required.

“No pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests on voyages of up to 15 nights (guests 5 and older) with the exception of full Panama Canal transits, trans-ocean and other special itineraries; unvaccinated guests must provide a negative self-test result taken within three days of embarkation (unvaccinated children under 5 years do not require pre-cruise testing)”

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If your cruise is 16 days, then testing is still required according to the press release: "Starting Sept. 6, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days will no longer have to test before boarding..."   &  "No pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests on voyages of up to 15 nights "

It is interesting to note that at one point in the release, they count the nights and at another point they count the days.  It's pretty clear that the voyage must be under 16 days in length to avoid testing.  My read of the sentence stating "up to 15 nights" means 14 nights and under as they would have phrased it "up to and including 15 nights" if they were including 15 night cruises.  JMHO, but I think the first statement of less than 16 days is very clear that you'll still need to test.

After looking more closely at how Princess determines cruise length, it seems that Princess uses days and nights interchangeably.  It looks like Princess doesn't count disembarkation day as a day added into the length of a cruise.   So, your 15 night Royal cruise is most likely considered to be a 15 day cruise as well (even though you will be on the ship for 16 calendar days.  You probably won't need to test if you're vaccinated on your cruise but it still won't hurt to double check with Princess before embarkation day.  Enjoy your cruise! 

( I just looked at a 35 day HAL cruise I have booked, and they are counting disembarkation day as one of the 35 days.  Go figure, HAL is a Carnival subsidiary and Princess is a part of the Holland America Group in Carnival Corporation.)  What a shock that there is no consistency...  😲 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

RE: Canada

ArriveCan now says:

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

17 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise.

My take on this is:

1.  I do not have to have a covid test to enter Canada

2.  But I do need one to embark on a ship in Canada.

3.  I do have to fill out and complete the ArriveCan app if I plan on stepping foot in Canada.

I feel for those who have cruises in the next couple of weeks.  Hope this is all made clearer in a few days.  Hope to hear from those embarking on a ship or entering Canada after September 6.

Edited:  Please help me out.  If my cruise leaves on Monday, I can take a PCR test on Friday (72 hours prior) in the afternoon if I plan on boarding in the morning.

My head hurts from all this thinking and planning.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Yep.. Same website...although I clicked on the ArriveCan link.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Isn’t all this discussion about Canada a bit disproportionate?  There are only two cruises scheduled to depart or return to Vancouver after 9/30. A R/T to Hawaii and a departure from Vancouver that ends in Los Angeles. Once these new procedures are implemented on 9/16, Canada will be largely irrelevant. When the next season resumes in 2023, I am certain that ArriveCan or whatever it is called will have been sunsetted. At least that’s my humble opinion. 

Canada / New England cruises go through October... don't forget the east coast folks!

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I apologize for misunderstanding your post.  I thought you had mentioned not seeing any Hawaii cruises except from San Francisco or San Pedro.  

I apologize for not being being clear enough. I was only speaking in the context of the topic and the new rules, specifically as they apply to the U.S.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My take on this is:

1.  I do not have to have a covid test to enter Canada

2.  But I do need one to embark on a ship in Canada.

3.  I do have to fill out and complete the ArriveCan app if I plan on stepping foot in Canada.

I feel for those who have cruises in the next couple of weeks.  Hope this is all made clearer in a few days.  Hope to hear from those embarking on a ship or entering Canada after September 6.

Edited:  Please help me out.  If my cruise leaves on Monday, I can take a PCR test on Friday (72 hours prior) in the afternoon if I plan on boarding in the morning.

My head hurts from all this thinking and planning.

The Canada government website is extremely clear. I provided the relevant quote in my earlier post along with the link. Regardless of your entry port if at any time your ship stops in Canada you must have a test. It must be 72 hours prior if PCR. They actually spell out an example. If your boarding group starts at noon Monday your test must be noon or later Friday or anytime Saturday, Sunday or Monday (as long as you get results in time). 

No link is provided for the previous reference contradicting this in ArriveCAN and I simply cannot find evidence of it. 

It will be fine once on board. Safe travels. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I've never seen a Princess Hawaii cruise from any port but San Francisco or San Pedro.

I am booked on one in 2023 from Seattle and I believe they also run from Vancouver on occasion 

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

???  Example, if I embarked in Seattle, do I have to follow the same (within 72 hours of joining the ship) or is it with 72 hours of porting in Victoria/Vancouver?

I might as well add one more question.  

Yes, you complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours before embarking on a ship outside Canada (e.g. Alaska, Seattle, SanFrancisco) that will be going to Canada. If you are boarding in Canada you complete it within 72 hours before arriving in Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.htmlEF89A6A3-0595-4AC8-A9E3-26B2807D1BBD.thumb.jpeg.31b8502df3025870adbbf10150225b66.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

However Princess site says:

Voyages that include Canada:
Please note that cruises that begin, end or visit Canada will require sailing guests ages 12 and above who are not Canadian citizens be fully vaccinated, unless they are granted a medical exemption. Find out if you can enter Canada at travel.gc.ca^. Note all Alaska voyages include Canadian ports.

And if you follow the provided link to Canadian site to see if you can travel to Canada, it says OK if you satisfy vaccination requirements and pass ArriveCan correctly. It also says to be prepared for random testing.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Ah yes. I forgot that not all the cruises are in and out of NY. 

Yeah, the focus over the summer is certainly Alaska and western Canada. Even I don't think about Quebec until Halloween costumes show up in the stores. Oh wait! They've been there for some time, I just didn't notice or care...

17 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Yeah, the focus over the summer is certainly Alaska and western Canada. Even I don't think about Quebec until Halloween costumes show up in the stores. Oh wait! They've been there for some time, I just didn't notice or care...

Sometimes we all get so focused.  Time for the mind to switch over to other US ports (me included).  Unfortunately, Christmas items are already showing up in the stores.  

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone who assisted me with my questions.  I happened to connect with Angelic on LiveChat for another issue.  She was very well informed.

I did ask her about covid testing before joining the ship in Canada.  Yes, PCR test within 72 hours of embarkation or Rapid Antigen Test within 48 hours.  Either one works as long as they are medically proctored.  

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

After looking more closely at how Princess determines cruise length, it seems that Princess uses days and nights interchangeably.  It looks like Princess doesn't count disembarkation day as a day added into the length of a cruise.   So, your 15 night Royal cruise is most likely considered to be a 15 day cruise as well (even though you will be on the ship for 16 calendar days.  You probably won't need to test if you're vaccinated on your cruise but it still won't hurt to double check with Princess before embarkation day.  Enjoy your cruise! 

( I just looked at a 35 day HAL cruise I have booked, and they are counting disembarkation day as one of the 35 days.  Go figure, HAL is a Carnival subsidiary and Princess is a part of the Holland America Group in Carnival Corporation.)  What a shock that there is no consistency...  😲 

Thanks Dan. That’s how I interpreted it as well. I will still be waiting for Princess to put it on my cruise docs / Medallion! 🙄🙄

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I did ask her about covid testing before joining the ship in Canada.  Yes, PCR test within 72 hours of embarkation or Rapid Antigen Test within 48 hours.  Either one works as long as they are medically proctored.  

I know it’s getting more and more confusing but the Princess web site still shows testing required for ALL voyages leaving Canada or stopping in Canada - if fully vaccinated within 72 hours of boarding for PCR test and 2 DAYS for rapid antigen test ( there is a difference from 48 hours to 2 days). 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:46 PM, JimmyVWine said:

As long as they go back to accepting Tele-Med observed testing I won't care.  But the current "must be done in person and internet observed tests don't qualify" rule is really onerous. Especially for those who want to visit their beautiful country for several days before boarding.  Being a stranger in a strange land makes it really, really hard to test in person.  What I really don't get is why this rule applies to cruises that are not ROUNDTRIP in and out of Athens.  Why does the Greek government care if someone boards the ship with Covid if they are going to disembark in Barcelona 7 days later?  That is Spains problem, not theirs.  As long as I am not setting foot back into Greece after the cruise, why do they need to take the most restrictive position of any country?  

When did they stop accepting eMed? Princess' website still recommends them. 

image.png.9c353f7e854c11d09172a35f4b9a9cc4.png