Drinking Policies among different lines

snuckles12

I am looking for current information about the drinking age on various lines. No judgment please, where I live the drinking age is 18:-) I have cruised with my children multiple times in suite categories. (I’m looking at ship within a ship cruise lines). The big question is my son will be 19. I’m looking to take him on a vacation before he goes off to basic training. Will he be able to have the alcohol drink package that comes with most suites (not kid package or paid beer and wine) on any lines??? 

1 hour ago, snuckles12 said:

The big question is my son will be 19. I’m looking to take him on a vacation before he goes off to basic training. Will he be able to have the alcohol drink package that comes with most suites (not kid package or paid beer and wine) on any lines??? 

Holland America's policy is:

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21. Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. However, effective on voyages commencing July 1. 2016 and thereafter, the legal drinking age onboard will be 18 for voyages which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, and the legal drinking age onboard will be 20 for voyages which depart from and return to Japan.... For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, these policies and the legal drinking age apply to guests 18 years or over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snuckles12 said:

I am looking for current information about the drinking age on various lines. No judgment please, where I live the drinking age is 18:-) I have cruised with my children multiple times in suite categories. (I’m looking at ship within a ship cruise lines). The big question is my son will be 19. I’m looking to take him on a vacation before he goes off to basic training. Will he be able to have the alcohol drink package that comes with most suites (not kid package or paid beer and wine) on any lines??? 

He will probably not be 'legal' on a US departure, but he might not have any issues ordering drinks.  It all depends on how mature he looks and behaves.  I am tall and confident and had no trouble ordering drinks or buying liquor anywhere when I was 17.  If he 'qualifies', however, his keycard might have a code that prohibits him from ordering drinks.  I'm sure you can figure out how to get around that.  It breaks my heart to know he's old enough to join the military to protect this country,  but not old enough to have a beer on a cruise ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

He will probably not be 'legal' on a US departure, but he might not have any issues ordering drinks.  It all depends on how mature he looks and behaves.  I am tall and confident and had no trouble ordering drinks or buying liquor anywhere when I was 17.  If he 'qualifies', however, his keycard might have a code that prohibits him from ordering drinks.  I'm sure you can figure out how to get around that.  It breaks my heart to know he's old enough to join the military to protect this country,  but not old enough to have a beer on a cruise ship.

Thank you!! I’m actually the age when the drinking age changed in the US from 18 to 21(it was lowered to 18 the last time there was a draft ) He is actually 6’5” with facial hair(for now) He carries himself like a much older gentleman, and really only drinks socially in the evening.(Usually a bourbon or gin & tonic) I guess we’re sailing out of Europe. Now to hunt down airfare. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Where are you planning to cruise to/from? That will matter more than whether you are in a suite or not.

After reading the responses, it looks like we’re off to Greece and Italy. The suite thing just makes a huge difference in the price. I remember when my older child was 18 I signed a form allowing her to drink beer and wine. It was NCL and although everyone in the suite had premium drink packages included, I got charged for every beer and glass of she consumed bc it coded as a child’s package. Was hoping if we cruised out of San Juan or St Thomas(where we live) one of the cruise lines out there would recognize the drinking age is 18 here and in most of the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snuckles12 said:

drinking age is 18 here and in most of the Caribbean

I though the drinking “age” in the Caribbean was being as tall as the frogs hand on the sign. Then again, I’ve really only seen a narrow slice of Caribbean culture 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You can travel on a cruise that is heavy on Mexican ports, you only need to be 18 to drink in Mexico. Might be cheaper than flying to Europe and cruising there just to drink. 

I think the question involved the ship's drinks package - so if it's a US based sailing Mexico's law would only apply in Mexico.

• Like 1

If you live in STT you might find it easier to sail one of the European lines that cruise from various Caribbean islands and do not touch US ports.  MSC, Costa, P&O-UK (Barbados), Fred Olsen.  If you go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose some of the islands in the Sail from list, you can find those cruises.  About Mexico…the joke used to be that if you can see over the top of the bar, they will serve you.  EM

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wcook said:

I though the drinking “age” in the Caribbean was being as tall as the frogs hand on the sign. Then again, I’ve really only seen a narrow slice of Caribbean culture 🙂

Well really you just have to be able to see over the bar😂. Honestly in the states is the only place I consistently see crazy binge drinking, insane partying, and all the joy that surrounds it🙄. I’m from NYC happily living in the Virgin Islands now. 

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If you live in STT you might find it easier to sail one of the European lines that cruise from various Caribbean islands and do not touch US ports.  MSC, Costa, P&O-UK (Barbados), Fred Olsen.  If you go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose some of the islands in the Sail from list, you can find those cruises.  About Mexico…the joke used to be that if you can see over the top of the bar, they will serve you.  EM

That’s exactly what I was hoping to do. MSC was the only one I contacted and they were sticking to 21 according to the agent. I’ll try the others you mentioned. I asked here bc I feel like you speak with each customer service representative and get all different answers. I’m not opposed to Europe, it’s just kind of last minute and with flights being an abomination price and cancellation wise it just seemed like an easier less stressful option.

I would bet if you booked MSC Seaside in the Caribbean, you would have drinking age 18.  You would also have very few Americans, as most don’t even know these cruises exist.  And if you were calling the US numbers for MSC, they probably don’t know much, either.  Most of those cruises embark and debark in every port so the guests are continually changing.  But it also means no long lines at embarkation.  
     I see Royal Caribbean has one of their oldest ships, Rhapsody of the Seas, sailing 7 day cruises in the Southern Caribbean.  Only one sea day, looks like a good cruise.  
    When is your son leaving, and to what branch of service?  If there is a possibility he might be stationed in Germany, sailing AIDA or TUI would be in interesting immersion experience in German. Culture and cuisine.  They are a bit expensive, though.  EM

5 hours ago, snuckles12 said:

Honestly in the states is the only place I consistently see crazy binge drinking, insane partying, and all the joy that surrounds it🙄.

Then you haven't been in a European city after a major football match....

According to this source, the US isn't even in the Top 15 binge-drinking countries. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I would bet if you booked MSC Seaside in the Caribbean, you would have drinking age 18.  You would also have very few Americans, as most don’t even know these cruises exist.  And if you were calling the US numbers for MSC, they probably don’t know much, either.  Most of those cruises embark and debark in every port so the guests are continually changing.  But it also means no long lines at embarkation.  
     I see Royal Caribbean has one of their oldest ships, Rhapsody of the Seas, sailing 7 day cruises in the Southern Caribbean.  Only one sea day, looks like a good cruise.  
    When is your son leaving, and to what branch of service?  If there is a possibility he might be stationed in Germany, sailing AIDA or TUI would be in interesting immersion experience in German. Culture and cuisine.  They are a bit expensive, though.  EM

Funny, I was calling MSC about the seashore. We have traveled and sailed all over Europe (he would love to go back to Greece). I’m just hesitant because my other child has been traveling all over Europe for the past month and flight, train cancellations and delays has been an issue. He’s joining the army and leaves early October, so we won’t have a lot of room for delays. It’s really not so much about the alcohol, as he loves cooking and is quite the mixologist. Some of our best mother/son time has been traveling and eating fabulous meals. I’m thinking I might go with Virgin again was just hesitant about how comfortable I’d be with my child no matter how old or young he is 😂

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Then you haven't been in a European city after a major football match....

According to this source, the US isn't even in the Top 15 binge-drinking countries. 

Lol- well I forget most of my 20’s😂. And yea at my age I’m not really out clubbing or into going to big sporting events. Just seems more frowned upon in the US and negative comments about a teen having a few cocktails. I’m sure my 20 year old is doing me proud at the moment in the south of France 😂

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:30 AM, snuckles12 said:

Well really you just have to be able to see over the bar😂. Honestly in the states is the only place I consistently see crazy binge drinking, insane partying, and all the joy that surrounds it🙄. I’m from NYC happily living in the Virgin Islands now. 

From experience I've always thought the US was rather laid back, compared to the UK and Australia, especially back in the days when the pubs closed early. You have also never been around a UK football match, in the pubs after the match, or the supporter buses going home.

From a cruising perspective, having worked on cruise ships world-wide, the heaviest drinking culture was Aussie cruising. The US cruises were rather tame, especially when you consider the beer is so weak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, jsn55 said:

All cruises highlight underage people via shipcards.  Also a minor in possession change will tank his military  service beside the military doesn't allow those below local age to drink

I know not many Cunard cruises depart from US ports but on Cunard the drinking age is 18 when the ship is not in US waters, even when the ship has embarked passengers in the US.
For what it's worth I'm sailing to the Caribbean from New York on Queen Mary 2 over Thanksgiving (not that the drinking age makes a bit of difference to me).

From Cunard's Passage Contract:
"No alcohol may be purchased, possessed, or consumed by any Guests under the age of 18, except when in waters of the U.S., in which case no alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Guests under the age of 21."

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, snuckles12 said:

After reading the responses, it looks like we’re off to Greece and Italy. The suite thing just makes a huge difference in the price. I remember when my older child was 18 I signed a form allowing her to drink beer and wine. It was NCL and although everyone in the suite had premium drink packages included, I got charged for every beer and glass of she consumed bc it coded as a child’s package. Was hoping if we cruised out of San Juan or St Thomas(where we live) one of the cruise lines out there would recognize the drinking age is 18 here and in most of the Caribbean. 

On NCL, passengers ages 18-20 can drink beer and wine if their parent/legal guardian goes to guest services and signs the waiver.

The drink package isn't suite-exclusive. NCL continuously has the "Free at Sea" promotion, and Premium Beverage Package is an option (it's not completely free as you do pre-pay gratuities). So whatever stateroom you are sailing in, you can opt to include the beverage package. You may have the same issue as you did with your daughter that your son will technically have the child beverage package. But if you sign the 18-20 beer/wine waiver, he should be able to order and consume beer and wine onboard.

Per NCL's website:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

Edited by LittleMissMagic