Holland America and PortMiami instead of Port Everglades

BluePrelude

I agree but wonder about the future.  I wonder if with ever larger ships Everglades may be unable to handle as many ships as in the past, and expect the lines that have ships there will have priority.  At this time I think the ship most likely to be moved (for this year at least) is the Oosterdam since it has only 2 South Florida calls this season with single stops from a TA to South America and another single stop after South America and before the Caribbean.  I actually think this is a one time event until at least fall 2023 since April 24, 2023 is a Monday and likely to use Fort Lauderdale.

Roy

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the POM other than it being in Miami :).  We cruise many different lines with some using Port Everglades and others using POM.  We prefer Port Everglades because hotel prices (and a favorite restaurant) in Lauderdale are to our liking and there are times we will stay in Ft Lauderdale, even when we are cruising out of Miami.  Getting an Uber/Lyft to Miami is no big deal and is more than subsidized by the lower hotel prices in Ft Lauderdale.

Hank

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Agree, but it would be nice of HAL to let people know well in advance, like before they book hotels and flights.  

Just thought about this again and I disagree with myself.  It is not that it 'would be nice' for HAL to let people know, it is incumbent upon HAL to advise people at the time they book the cruise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just thought about this again and I disagree with myself.  It is not that it 'would be nice' for HAL to let people know, it is incumbent upon HAL to advise people at the time they book the cruise.

I think this is much like the Rotterdam situation.  It is an infrastructure/water level problem outside of HAL’s control.  They drew the short straw

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Nothing wrong with the POM other than it being in Miami :).  We cruise many different lines with some using Port Everglades and others using POM.  We prefer Port Everglades because hotel prices (and a favorite restaurant) in Lauderdale are to our liking and there are times we will stay in Ft Lauderdale, even when we are cruising out of Miami.  Getting an Uber/Lyft to Miami is no big deal and is more than subsidized by the lower hotel prices in Ft Lauderdale.

Hank

I have arrived in POM as well and gotten to FLL easily BUT there are a few things you are unaware of…..

1.  For Canadians, Flight Ease has put many on an 11:20 flight out of FLL.  You need 3 hours lead time now to get on your flight.

2.  No idea how complicated Customs will be or how long it will take go get through.

3.  All flights have been lifted until September 19th.  Anyone with Flight Ease can do nothing but ride the wave until then.  No one knows if they are re-scheduling people out of Miami for sure or if the flights will remain as is out of FLL.

4.  Anyone who recently booked and wants to use Flight Ease cannot until September 19th and Thanksgiving is around the corner from the disembarkation date and..

5.  Final payment is by September 6th.  

Some people are uncomfortable being in “no man’s land”.  I didn’t use Flight Ease so I have control, thankfully.  Of course what the airlines do with my schedule is another story.  It’s already changed twice. 😉 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think this is much like the Rotterdam situation.  It is an infrastructure/water level problem outside of HAL’s control.  They drew the short straw

Well, yes and no!  The Rotterdam situation is brought about by low water levels caused by a summer long drought.  If Port Everglades is being dredged then that is a planned event and I  am sure that a business like PE would plan an event like dredging well in advance and also know the effects it would have on shipping.  There is a lot more traffic than just cruise ships to be managed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have arrived in POM as well and gotten to FLL easily BUT there are a few things you are unaware of…..

1.  For Canadians, Flight Ease has put many on an 11:20 flight out of FLL.  You need 3 hours lead time now to get on your flight.

2.  No idea how complicated Customs will be or how long it will take go get through.

3.  All flights have been lifted until September 19th.  Anyone with Flight Ease can do nothing but ride the wave until then.  No one knows if they are re-scheduling people out of Miami for sure or if the flights will remain as is out of FLL.

4.  Anyone who recently booked and wants to use Flight Ease cannot until September 19th and Thanksgiving is around the corner from the disembarkation date and..

5.  Final payment is by September 6th.  

Some people are uncomfortable being in “no man’s land”.  I didn’t use Flight Ease so I have control, thankfully.  Of course what the airlines do with my schedule is another story.  It’s already changed twice. 😉 

Good point.  But it must be said that, these days, it is absolutely nutz to fly-in to a cruise on the day of the cruise!   Airlines can no longer be trusted to get anyone to their destination on a given day (or even on the following day.   And I have no clue as to why anyone who uses "Flightease" would let the cruise line "put them on a specific flight."  One very nice feature of Flightease is the ability to go into the Flightease software (you do this from your HAL account/reservation) and choose your own flight or flights.  

We do often hear the argument that some folks cannot fly-in a day or two early because of their personal schedule.  But I think these folks need to reassess their own schedule issues in light of the recent (and projected future) airline schedule issues.  We recently changed our pre-cruise plans for two upcoming cruises in order to fly-in 1-2 days earlier than our original plans.  This is certainly costing us more money (extra hotels and meals) but we think it is reasonable given the airline problem.  In the case of an upcoming cruise out of Miami (in October) we decided to fly-in two days early (and stay at a nice beach resort) which always give us a "Plan B" option of driving to Miami if the airlines let us down.  For us it would be at least a 16 hour drive....but it is an option if necessary!

Hank

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good point.  But it must be said that, these days, it is absolutely nutz to fly-in to a cruise on the day of the cruise!   

I guess you missed it.  People are not flying in.  This is our disembarkation port.  People are flying home.  Airline schedules here only permit certain flights due to staff shortages so there isn’t a whole lot of choice in the matter IF you can get home the same day.  (I can’t - I need to go much earlier so staying over)

An 11:30 flight out of FLL is very do-able and worth attempting even with Customs.  Out of Miami, there is less room for error.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

I guess you missed it.  People are not flying in.  This is our disembarkation port.  People are flying home.  Airline schedules here only permit certain flights due to staff shortages so there isn’t a whole lot of choice in the matter IF you can get home the same day.  (I can’t - I need to go much earlier so staying over)

An 11:30 flight out of FLL is very do-able and worth attempting even with Customs.  Out of Miami, there is less room for error.

I did miss that.  If you are flying to Toronto have you considered the Flair flight out of MIA?   Otherwise I guess it is one of those situations where you use Express Disembarkation and take a private transfer (i,e. Uber/Lyft, taxi, etc).

Hank

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I did miss that.  If you are flying to Toronto have you considered the Flair flight out of MIA?   Otherwise I guess it is one of those situations where you use Express Disembarkation and take a private transfer (i,e. Uber/Lyft, taxi, etc).

Hank

No thanks on Flair - they don’t fly here nor to many places for people who have to connect.  I have NO desire to have to pick up luggage at that zoo of Pearson and re-check it.  Did it in June and will avoid it like the plague 😉.  And it wasn’t an option for those using Flight Ease - thanks for the suggestion, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

No thanks on Flair - they don’t fly here nor to many places for people who have to connect.  I have NO desire to have to pick up luggage at that zoo of Pearson and re-check it.  Did it in June and will avoid it like the plague 😉.  And it wasn’t an option for those using Flight Ease - thanks for the suggestion, though.

ROFL, we are also no fans of Pearson.  But I will admit that the Pearson Air Canada Signature Lounge (for certain Business Class and First Class passengers) is one of the best lounges we have experienced in the world.  We used to be able to conveniently use AC out of Harrisburg because AC had a commuter airline option (a small turboprop).  But those flights disappeared around the time of COVID.

Hank

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I agree but wonder about the future.  I wonder if with ever larger ships Everglades may be unable to handle as many ships as in the past, and expect the lines that have ships there will have priority.  At this time I think the ship most likely to be moved (for this year at least) is the Oosterdam since it has only 2 South Florida calls this season with single stops from a TA to South America and another single stop after South America and before the Caribbean.  I actually think this is a one time event until at least fall 2023 since April 24, 2023 is a Monday and likely to use Fort Lauderdale.

Roy

Well, I didn't know about the ongoing work on Port Everglades. 
Because of all your input, I did a little digging and found out Carnival is working with Broward County on this project, they even have a video and more information about the amount of work to be done.
Part of the project is to connect (via People Mover Train) Fort Lauderdale Airport with Port Everglades and Brightline terminal. 
Overall, a pretty ambitious project, that has already got some funding for it. https://www.thenextmiami.com/fdot-provides-funding-for-brightline-fort-lauderdale-airport-people-mover-system-study/
For more information about Port Everglades master plan expansion  https://www.porteverglades.net/construction/master-vision-plan/

• Thanks 2

We drive and park in the midway garage at Port Everglades.  I'd be upset to find out that we are docking at POM and have to pay/find a way back to our car. I guess it's no different than having to get to the FLL airport though.  Everything is subject to change these days and I find it challenging to keep my traveling partners cool and collected when such events occur and not to say I don't get a little wound up too.  ha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We prefer Port Everglades because hotel prices (and a favorite restaurant) in Lauderdale are to our liking and there are times we will stay in Ft Lauderdale, even when we are cruising out of Miami.  Getting an Uber/Lyft to Miami is no big deal and is more than subsidized by the lower hotel prices in Ft Lauderdale.

Hank

I was shocked when looking for hotels in FLL for my July cruise .

Then I looked at Miami hotel prices . Gasp . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, projecthandbag said:

We drive and park in the midway garage at Port Everglades.  I'd be upset to find out that we are docking at POM and have to pay/find a way back to our car. I guess it's no different than having to get to the FLL airport though.  Everything is subject to change these days and I find it challenging to keep my traveling partners cool and collected when such events occur and not to say I don't get a little wound up too.  ha.

Great attitude :).  As long time independent travelers we are used to having plans change, needing "Plan B's,"  and dealing with surprises.  But even more than 50 years of extensive travel experience has not fully prepared me for the current travel situation.  Keeping one's cool has become a very necessary and difficult skill.

Hank

• Like 2

Driving in the Port of Miami is a heck of lot more difficult than it is in Port Everglades.  

9 hours ago, esther e said:

Bring them to Port Canaveral!!!!!!!

My gracious!  YES!  Port Canaveral's driving and parking situation is as good, if not better, than Port Everglades.  

While I found a pleasant stay in the Port Canaveral area for a night or two pre-cruise stay, I would much prefer Fort Lauderdale.  Remaining in the Port Canaveral post-cruise for a stay?  No.  Not much that would entice me to do that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My gracious!  YES!  Port Canaveral's driving and parking situation is as good, if not better, than Port Everglades.  

Doesn't Port Canaveral take another 10 hours sailing to get to the Caribbean then Everglades ?  No thanks .