Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

I just got off Explorer of the Seas last Sunday and had a great time, but starting feeling sick that morning and immediately tested positive for Covid within an hour of leaving the ship.  I understand this was the chance I took when cruising, but it seems like a good amount of other people also tested positive within a couple of days of leaving the ship.  I was wondering if people on other ships recently had a similar experience.  Thanks

• Like 1

Definitely not saying that you should (or shouldn't), but I'm just curious about those testing positive - is anyone wearing masks or is it pretty much no precautionary protocols?  Again, not saying anyone is right or wrong.  We plan on masking next month and most likely staying out of crowded shows.  Wondering if this might keep us pretty safe (definitely not without risk) or if people are getting covid even with masking.  Thanks!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Cruisin Around said:

Definitely not saying that you should (or shouldn't), but I'm just curious about those testing positive - is anyone wearing masks or is it pretty much no precautionary protocols?  Again, not saying anyone is right or wrong.  We plan on masking next month and most likely staying out of crowded shows.  Wondering if this might keep us pretty safe (definitely not without risk) or if people are getting covid even with masking.  Thanks!  

We've been on a few cruises this year, and have masked for all of them (airports, flights, port, main spaces on the ship where overcrowding may be an issue) and take them off when seated to eat/drink. Some in our group take them off for shows, others leave them on. Only once (knock on wood) has one person in our party gotten COVID post cruise (though it could have been related to the airport/flight too). We avoided super full elevators and kept our distance as much as possible - though never let it ruin our trips. We are all vaxxed and boosted, wash hands/sanitize and mask up when out and about. Some people will take precautions, some extra precautions and some don't care (to each their own). We worry about us and do what we can to protect ourselves regardless of what others do. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 people out of our party of 12 tested positive for covid within 48 hours of getting off the brilliance late Aug. Both fully vaccinated. One a child never left the ship all week and never went to kids club, the other adult left ship for one trip on the friday. She felt ill on the sunday afternoon leaving the airport in the UK for the drive home. They were not in the same room either. Thankfully both fine now, the adult was touch and go if needed to go hosp due to being vulnerable but ok now.

Adult wore mask at airport but not on ship. Avoided crowded areas and lifts. Child did the same except mask. However ship was full and some people seem to have no concept of personal space so would stand so close to you. 

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jadesmom69 said:

I just got off Explorer of the Seas last Sunday and had a great time, but starting feeling sick that morning and immediately tested positive for Covid within an hour of leaving the ship.  I understand this was the chance I took when cruising, but it seems like a good amount of other people also tested positive within a couple of days of leaving the ship.  I was wondering if people on other ships recently had a similar experience.  Thanks

We were on Silhouette last month....NO for us. All fine. No problem. 

• Like 1

This is not unique in any way. Mrs. Dawg has many managers report to her at work and they in turn manage lots of staff each. The planning mantra now at her work is if an employee goes of for a week on vacation plan for them to be off 2 weeks. One for the vacation and  one for Covid. Most of the staff are younger, in their twenties and early thirties and they are definitely not social distancing on their vacations. They are going to weddings, partying with their friends, meeting new people, having a great time, and bang - Covid! Her work is actually banning employees from taking vacation the week or two before an important deadline because the staff might be back from vacation but they will miss the deadline because they are off sick.  

• Like 2

The real question is when and where did you actually come in contact with and get. Figure airport travel, shore excursions, baggage and customs etc. Fortunately for most vaccinated and boosted symptoms little more than a mild cold from what I have read.

In answer to your question we have sailed twice since covid, last Oct Oasis Seas, last December Carnival Legend. Both used were car trip for us. Both were masked ( for most part ) more on Legend less on Oasis since Oasis has several outdoor areas like central park that did not require masking. We did not and have not tested positive so far, fingers crossed. We are vaccinated and boosted once.

Coming week will do FLU vaccine as heard that will be doing a bigger comeback as we try to get back to normal. We are early 70's and late 60's, trophy wife LOL of 38 years.

Hope you feel better and test negative now.

George in NY

4 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

The real question is when and where did you actually come in contact with and get. Figure airport travel, shore excursions, baggage and customs etc.

How would knowing the answer to this change anything for a person who comes down ill?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

How would knowing the answer to this change anything for a person who comes down ill?

It doesn't unless you are curious to know if this is limited primarily to cruise ship occurrence or not? That is what I perceived the question to indicate. Since question was asked I figure looking for linkage to cruise itself on board. I was merely pointing out that there can be other travel factors involved as well such as hotel stay etc.

In our case we no longer fly which limits our choices in sailing currently. Not flying more based on cancellations, crappy airline conditions than covid. Certainly flying adds another level of contact.

George in NY

• Like 5

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Welcome to the modern world. Covid is endemic. Basically we will all get it every year. You and your family have to decide if you want to ruin your lives because of it. My family wont.

I just recently saw an interview with the head of the NIH talking about the new covid boosters and he said that covid shots will be an annual event in the future - just as flu shots are now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Yes it's pretty common. I would say at least 10 percent of people on each roll call I have been on have contracted covid after coming back including me 

If that % is accurate, cruising is the safest place to be.  Let’s hope word doesn’t spread or we can say goodbye to ships ever sailing at less than capacity. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 3

Got off Mariner on July 25 (a Monday).  On that Thursday, tested positive for Covid.  It felt like a bad cold.  No one else in my travelling party (total of 6) had symptoms (and therefore never tested).   

We didn't mask or social distance.  Heck, I didn't even isolate in my house following the positive result.

It didn't take long after Covid started to realize it would eventually become endemic and would be with us forever.  As far as "we will all get it every year", I highly doubt that.  It will become like the flu (if it hasn't already).  A minority will get it every year, some will have minor symptoms, some major, and yes, some will die because of it.    

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Got off Mariner on July 25 (a Monday).  On that Thursday, tested positive for Covid.  It felt like a bad cold.  No one else in my travelling party (total of 6) had symptoms (and therefore never tested).   

We didn't mask or social distance.  Heck, I didn't even isolate in my house following the positive result.

It didn't take long after Covid started to realize it would eventually become endemic and would be with us forever.  As far as "we will all get it every year", I highly doubt that.  It will become like the flu (if it hasn't already).  A minority will get it every year, some will have minor symptoms, some major, and yes, some will die because of it.    

I really hope it turns into the flu, definitely not there yet. My 19 year old has had Covid twice in the past 4 months (4 times total), and it is spreading like crazy on college campuses, it’s much more contagious than the flu.

• Like 2

Was on Enchantment in July to Bermuda. We had crappy weather and were pretty much “locked” inside the ship for most of the cruise as we didn’t have a balcony for the first time in 10 years. Drove to and from the port. Was a 5 day cruise. Got home Thursday afternoon and wife and I both tested positive for COVID Friday morning. Could’ve  gotten it on the ship. Could’ve gotten it in Bermuda. Maybe got it the day before the cruise at work after our pre-cruise tests. Don’t know and it really doesn’t matter. We both had a bad case of the sniffles for a few days and a lot of fatigue. She had it a bit worse and lost her senses of taste and smell for about a week. Still looking forward to Freedom OTS next month!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jadesmom69 said:

We disembarked from EX on 8/28 after a B2B. I had a single symptom, seemingly unrelated to Covid, the last day of the cruise (not a typical symptom, but apparently one more common in those vaccinated and boosted per a recent British study). Many days later (still with the single “symptom”) I tested as I always do before visiting elderly relatives and was positive - the faintness of the line made it clear it was waning case. I had gone 2 1/2 years avoiding it, but I guess it was my time. I know of a few crew members who also tested positive during the second leg.

Because of how easy it is to get a cold or another virus on a cruise ship  we now travel with cold medicine, and so I was more than aware of the high likelihood of getting a virus onboard (especially Covid being so much more contagious than other viruses). I am so thankful that with 4 doses of the vaccine my case was extremely mild. 

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 2

It happened to our family in July.  Granted it wasn't right after our cruise (we got off in May), but it still wasn't a great feeling having to cancel our July cruise within 2 days of sailing.  This month, we're all making sure we get our boosters for Omicron just in case, as we don't want this to happen again.  We understand that there's a chance it might, but we're all trying to minimize it as best as we can.

For what it's worth, I masked the entire time on our last cruise and was totally fine after the cruise.

We sail in two weeks on our 1st cruise since Jan. 2020.  (I think we canceled/postponed three booked cruises since then.) We are vaxxed and double-boosted. We both contracted Covid one month ago after returning from a multi-city road trip vacation. Fortunately, mild symptoms. Once cruising resumed after the shutdown, we agreed we wouldn't cruise again until masking changed from mandatory to optional. And now, pre-testing requirement has been dropped too. We are excited to be cruising again, and confident that recovering from Covid a month ago gives us some additional immunity -- at least for a few months (?). It also means we won't get the new variant-specific booster until Nov/Dec. I basically agree with the poster who said he and his family weren't going to let the possibility of contracting Covid "ruin our lives" but I fully understand that each person's (family's) situation is unique and that they will need to make their own risk vs. reward decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

My completely non scientific thoughts are that we are around our communities and common germs normally.....and then we go to a place with NEW germs and BOOM! 

You aren’t completely off course. We cruised to Alaska in 2018 and then afterwards spent another 7 days in the Vancouver area. While in Vancouver I had a small rash on my leg, Chalked it up to a southern girl suddenly wearing  socks! After returning home I had an earache and went to a local urgent Med (quick dash out from work). She said she was going to test me for strep. I told her I was in my late 50’s and never had strep before (and this wasn’t a severe soreness). She tested me anyway and had the best time giving me my positive strep results (that rash in Vancouver is one that sometimes accompanies strep throat). I said at the time that it was all those Europeans trip germs in Vancouver that finally got me 😳 😂 

• Haha 2

My daughter tested positive after cruise.  It had to be the cruise she got it from.  We did not fly and she was only around me and my mother (who did not cruise).  I tested negative, fortunately.  She was off school a few days.  She has now tested negative.  She wasn't too bad as she has had vaccines and booster.  We did see the doctor, but not too much they can do.

I too wondered how many people tested positive.

I guess it's a chance you take.  Everyone has to test negative to board.  I don't know if it was someone we interacted with at the port (Bermuda).  We had a good time on the cruise and fortunately she wasn't too bad.  I actually think she milked it a bit to get off from school.