The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 5th, 2022

richwmn

Labor Day

Today is Be Late for Something Day, Cheese Pizza Day, and International Day of Charity

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?--John Green, An Abundance of Katherines

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Chili Verde
Drink of the Day - Ooh La La Lemon
Wine of the Day - St. Urbans-Hof 2019 Nik Weis Urban Riesling (Mosel
Destination of the Day - Icoaraci (Belem), Brazil

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Baie-Comeau, Quebec Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 09/06

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz eta 09/06

Rotterdam

Reykjavik, Iceland - 15:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/06

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 09/06

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0905World.thumb.png.ad94b3c61cab67936495462675b2aead.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the fleet reports Rich.

Cheese pizza 🍕😋.

I always try to be early for everything to save rushing at the last minute.

Pauline was about 25 minutes late for our wedding but she was worth the wait.

The quote can be true for some people but not for most of us.

Giving for charity is a worthy cause.

Sending Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

Take care and stay safe friends.

G.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Labor (or Labour for our northern neighbors) Day report, Rich.  I try not to be  late but it doesn't make a lot of difference for the retired, and will especially salute charity.  I do enjoy cheese pizza,  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  I visited Belem once, 2015, on the Maasdam.  I'm glad that they have at least identified the suspect in Saskatchewan, and hope the police and Mounties have a Labour Day celebration later today.

Today’s care list:

RIP Baltimore Fire Captain Anthony Workman 9/2/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Allen with TIA
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Sandi’s neighbor Linda in critical condition
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
6 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
0106 covering menus while Dfish hunts for forever home
Welcome home  Kochleffel and Oceansaway17
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Labor (or Labour for our northern neighbors) Day report, Rich.  I try not to be  late but it doesn't make a lot of difference for the retired, and will especially salute charity.  I do enjoy cheese pizza,  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  I visited Belem once, 2015, on the Maasdam.  I'm glad that they have at least identified the suspect in Saskatchewan, and hope the police and Mounties have a Labour Day celebration later today.

Today’s care list:

RIP Baltimore Fire Captain Anthony Workman 9/2/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Allen with TIA
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Sandi’s neighbor Linda in critical condition
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
7 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
6 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
0106 covering menus while Dfish hunts for forever home
Welcome home  Kochleffel and Oceansaway17
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.   Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy Labour Day.  We salute all those who work to make workers safe.

A cool foggy morning.  It feels like fall.

I am rarely late, I'm usually early.  I'll pass on the pizza.  Charity is important.

An interesting quote.

I'd like to try today's meal, looking forward to the recipe.

I'm sure the drink would be great, hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.   Stay safe.

• Like 20

Chili verde is a dish native to Northern Mexico. It is a form of stew, traditionally prepared with pork shoulder, although other cuts of pork and sometimes even chicken may be used. Chili verde is prepared in a variety of ways in its native country, so it is safe to say that whichever ingredients a person likes the best is probably the best way to prepare it.  The base of this stew is slow-cooked meat, which is simmered in broth and a mixture of other ingredients until the meat is essentially falling apart. Some people eat it on its own, sometimes with tortilla or chips or to absorb the liquid.

As the “verde,” which means “green,” would suggest, the broth used to make the dish is green. At a minimum, the chili verde broth includes crushed green chilies, often a mixture of varieties for added flavor, along with garlic, pepper, salt, and onions. Some cooks also add oregano and cilantro (if you don’t like cilantro- leave it out). The heat can be adjusted by playing with the varieties of chilies used and the number included in the dish, and cooks can also reduce the heat by de-seeding the chilies first. In Northern Mexico and the American Southwest, many people also add tomatillos to their chili verde, sometimes roasting the fruit first to create a deeper, more complex flavor.  If fresh tomatillos, an ingredient that I think is critical, are not available, cooks may be able to find them canned; they can also use tomatoes instead, with a hint of sugar to cut the acid.  Lime juice is frequently squeezed over the stew just before serving to create a tangy flavor.

This is an extremely easy recipe that uses canned green enchilada sauce and store-bought salsa verde.  You just throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker until the pork is tender. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-chili-verde/

Easy Chili Verde

Here is a quick recipe that uses a pressure cooker (InstaPot) to impart flavor and tenderness to the chili. https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe

Pressure Cooker Pork Chile Verde

I prefer this recipe because it uses fresh ingredients, it provides very detailed instructions.  Most of the ingredients are prepped by roasting on a sheet pan, a technique I often use. https://copykat.com/chili-verde/

overhead view of chili verde in a skillet

This recipe is not as “easy” but is the one I made for my family.  (Photo of fresh tomatillos)   https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chile_verde/

chile-verde-method-1

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  The weather forecast has us getting 3 to 5 inches of rain through tomorrow.  It hadn’t arrived here yet but has north of Boston.  I hope to get an errand run before it starts.  I’m not sure about the menu suggestion.  We have steak on our menu for today.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.9cbf27589a23ff9db6d16969116c5730.png

• Like 26

Good morning! The rain held off and our BBQ chicken and time with neighbors was enjoyable. Will repeat BBQ today with Baby Back Ribs.

Cheese pizza is fine but I prefer more toppings on mine.

In the sense that every day in our lives is a holiday I will celebrate Labor/Labour Day by doing Monday’s laundry, cooking on the grill and these days washing dishes!

giphy.gif

• Like 26

Will be in today's port in November.  Looking forward to the photo's.

Ooh La La Lemon Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
2 parts Lemonade
Whipped Cream

Instructions
Shake with ice and strain into a shot glass. Top with whipped cream.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 7.51.41 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 9

17 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Some cooks also add oregano and cilantro (if you don’t like cilantro- leave it out).

I love cilantro, but it is one of my triggers for migraine headaches. Two other triggers I have been able to identify are chocolate and the nitrites in smoked meats. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

My DW's grandmother helped to form the union for seamstresses in Los Angeles many years ago, back when workers were regularly abused in that industry. We take so many things for granted now in the work world that others had to struggle to bring about. Happy Labor Day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Happy Labor Day!   It's cloudy, 72F and 96% humidity.  Rain expected later, of course.  Last night we had quite a bit of rain (1.5 inches).  Glad to say we are not in the flood area, as Annie @marshhawkmentioned last night.  Devastating for our NW corner of the state.  In addition I want to say how sorry I am that Terri @Cruzin Terri's home had a leak and a flood yesterday.  What a nightmare!  I hope everything can be replaced or repaired and you are back to normal in short order.  Good luck!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I never want to be late for anything so don't want to celebrate the idea.  Cheese pizza is fine if you don't have any with toppings.  A salute to international day of charity.  Remember, charity begins at home!  The menu suggestion, Easy Chili Verde, looks good.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor keeping our lists for us.  Many prayers for all on the list.  Extra prayers for Allen and Joy @Seasick Sailoras he recovers from his TIA and they move forward finding any problems.  Gerry @ger_77so glad to hear you and your DH are safe and sound.  What a bizarre event!  Praying the survivors come through this okay.  Terribly sad about those who didn't survive. 🙏  Jacqui, I hope you are getting closer to being ready for your weekend event.  And I hope your aches and pains are lessening.  

Icoaraci, Belem, Brazil was posted here before by Rich on July 1, 2021 and was located on page 49 of his posting activity.  Here is a link to that date in case you need to retrieve your photos.  I have not yet been to Icoaraci but see Belem is listed on my next cruise on Volendam.  Does anyone recall the date the Volendam will be empty and beginning to prepare for future cruises?  

Hoping all have a great Labor Day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Does anyone recall the date the Volendam will be empty and beginning to prepare for future cruises?  

According to the current schedule, the Volendam contract to house refugees will end 9/9. Her first cruise with passengers is scheduled to leave Trieste 9/24.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

According to the current schedule, the Volendam contract to house refugees will end 9/9. Her first cruise with passengers is scheduled to leave Trieste 9/24.

Rich, that's exciting news!  Only 4 more days for the refugees though so I hope they all have other arrangements for housing.  I hope the ship has any easy sail to Trieste and has been maintained well while out of service from cruising.  🚢🤞

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Cilantro tastes soapy to my husband;  I sub fresh parsley and extra lime in his meals.  https://www.allrecipes.com/article/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap/

Be careful with coriander if cilantro gives you migraines, it is the dried form of the herb.

So sorry chocolate is another trigger.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Happy Labor Day!  I am sitting in my chilly hotspot 41 degrees outside but toasty in the truck with heated seats going too.   I will continue weeding when it warms up.  Our neighbors are up here and several families will be getting together at our nearby neighbors on Wednesday.   

Thanks for the Daily Reports!  I look forward to the Belem port photos.  We will be there in March 2023.  Glad to hear the Volendam is leaving her service in the Netherlands but praying for the families losing their home on this ship. I understand new TVs are being installed on the Zaandam I hope they are happening on the Volendam too.  We use our TV for menu, ship's location and port previews. Fingers crossed.  The drink is a pass, the chili Verde minus cilantro would be good and the wine looks like it will be a good one.   Prayers for all on the care list and for the people of Ukraine.  Have a great day! 

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Cilantro tastes soapy to my husband;  I sub fresh parsley and extra lime in his meals.  https://www.allrecipes.com/article/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap/

Be careful with coriander if cilantro gives you migraines, it is the dried form of the herb.

Cilantro tastes like soap to me too.  I usually substitute parsley.

• Like 16

Well, Good morning to all of you.

I didn’t get much sleep last night.  Lots of equipment running all night to extract the water from the carpeting.

This house is a mess.

Today being Labor Day, we will have no help at all.  We were advised to wait until tomorrow to call a plumber for the toilet situation.  All it needs is a small plastic pipe from the tank to the bowl.  It split and the water just kept pouring out of it. I am just grateful that the water that flooded our house was clean.  I guess you have to be thankful for something’s.  It could have been worse. We will have to replace the flooring in all but two rooms.  We will probably do it in the whole house, even if it costs extra since the carpeting is 21 years old.

There were so many things to move out of the way yesterday and we were both so tired.  

I guess we will spend today just trying to go through some stuff and see what is salvagable and what is not.

I’ll try to check in later.

Have a good day everyone.

God Bless and thanks for your kind words.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Good morning. Our humidity and temperatures  are the same as Sandi's @StLouis Cruisers. Sorry, the blue bubble is missing in action today.

We have not been to the port and like the recipes a lot. I will save them for another day as we have vegetarian  chili bubbling on the stove this morning.

Happy Labor Day  to everyone  celebrating. I always worked  on holidays and used to enjoy driving home with few people  on the road.We always tried to make the holiday special for the patients  and it usually was a good day with a skeleton  crew.I find myself very occasionally  missing  work.

I am glad Gerry and her DH were safe and sound but so sorry to hear of so many injured or killed.We live in dangerous  times.

I am also thinking of Joy and Allen and hope all is well this morning. 

Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from Kildeer, IL. It’s a gloomy Labor day here.  Sorry that I haven’t been around much lately but a large work project has taken over my spare time.  I like the collection of days today.  I hope I’m not late for my flight home today.  A cheese pizza sounds delicious.  Love International Charity Day.  I don’t agree with the quote at all, life isn’t a scorecard.  The meal and drink sound very nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port and would enjoy seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and safe travels to all who are traveling on this Labor Day. 

• Like 19