Her Majesty the Queen dies.

NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Just woke up to hear HM Queen Elizabeth died at Balmoral Castle, Scotland.  70 years of magnificent service to the UK and the Commonwealth. Queen of Australia, rest in peace.

A very sad day 😢😢😢

I am sad that she has passed, and also empathetic for those friends & family of my older generation who grew up with a closer affinity to the Empire. Along with Phil, they led long dutiful lives of privilege. I am neither royal nor republican, but glad for the stability that has been mostly in place during her reign.

At arms length, I tried to value what the queen has meant to me, and it was mostly about my pocket money. Liz has been on pretty much every coin I have spent in my life, and she has been on every decimal currency coin Australia has ever issued. Numismatics & philately  - now there is another topic, various mints & postal services around the Commonwealth will be planning their new coin & stamp issues, and appropriate that Charles III makes it onto some 2022 coins & stamps.

I sang her song in school every week of my first few years of school.

Thanks Liz, God save the King.

The video version of her platinum jubilee morning tea with Paddington Bear

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bazshirl2 said:

This was an endearing part of the Queen's platinum jubilee and showed she had a sense of humour.

This is how my young granddaughters will remember Her Majesty. They kept replaying it time after time. 

• Like 1

We have just had the 96 gun salute at Parliament House which we can see out our windows. Whilst I have a soft spot for her maj, don't forget there were less than glorious moments in the way the family she led treated others, and of course the enormous wealth held by her (with a fight at one stage not to pay tax or disclose what she owned). Not to be political but to temper the hagiography with some reality.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 4

RIP Lilibet I vividly remember her coronation we had a day of school and in my small country town in UK we had a street party like no other with bunting strewn across the road from the bedroom windows of the terraced houses, the town Mayor in all his finery giving sweets to all the children

Its a day embedded in my mind that I will never forget.

Cheers Carole

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

RIP Lilibet I vividly remember her coronation we had a day of school and in my small country town in UK we had a street party like no other with bunting strewn across the road from the bedroom windows of the terraced houses, the town Mayor in all his finery giving sweets to all the children

Its a day embedded in my mind that I will never forget.

Cheers Carole

Yes - I also remember the coronation and the street party in my village as I lived in the UK before I moved to Australia at the age of 34.

Like many others around the world I feel so sad to lose our Queen. 😢

Joyce 

• Like 3

A remarkable woman, whose deep devotion to duty and service saw her working to within forty-eight hours of her death.  Elizabeth II has been our Queen for as long as my memory stretches.  I admired her grace, her dignity, her sense of humour, and her serene embrace of the occasional "put down" when necessary.  I have willingly accepted the monarchy because Elizabeth embodied all that a monarch should be, and more.  Now is not the time for debating the politics of moving to an Australian republic, and I applaud Nick Coatsworth's rebuke of Adam Bandt's attention-seeking and insensitive comments when the Queen had barely drawn her last breath.  I'm not sure I would support a republic, but, although Charles is carrying himself with gentle dignity in his grief, and appears to genuinely relate to members of the public as he walks among those gathered at the palace gates, I fear that will not last.  His sense of entitlement has always been enormous, and he has form in meddling in matters of state when he should be restraining the urge.  William, I truly believe, will be a monarch of the people, and will be as inspiring as his beloved grandmother.   Time will tell...

Vale Elizabeth, gentle lady. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

I tell you, I am getting heartily sick of the wall to wall coverage 

I agree, sure have one of the channels (E.g. ABC News) doing round the clock coverage but why havw all the channels seemed to have dropped the main programs. 

I for one would like to see all of what is happening in the news and don't care about hearing from a former Buckingham place worker telling me the Queen liked to do crosswords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

I tell you, I am getting heartily sick of the wall to wall coverage 

It was always going to happen that there would be 'wall to wall' coverage of the Queen's passing and it is likely to continue until her funeral. Do what we did when we had had enough, turn the TV off and find something else to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

It was always going to happen that there would be 'wall to wall' coverage of the Queen's passing and it is likely to continue until her funeral. Do what we did when we had had enough, turn the TV off and find something else to do.

Yep, Netflix can only sustain interest so far.Books are getting- a workout