Medical Kit Suggestions

barb-ottawa

We have finally booked two cruises for January and February, our first since 2020. Though vaccinated and boosted, we fully expect that there is a good chance we will get covid on our trips. Looking to get suggestions from cruisers who have come down with covid while onboard about what over the counter medications they brought or wish they had brought to get them through their bout with covid. Thanks! 

I'm not quite sure why you expect to get Covid because we have taken 7 cruises since startup with 4 more booked. My husband caught Covid on one of our cruises but I have never had it (3 trips to Walt Disney World too).

We took a thermometer, our own Covid tests and the things mentioned already. We also had Mucinex DM and daytime cold medicine. We were traveling with an ex-pharmacist and he suggested my hubby take an antihistamine and vitamin C. My husband never saw a doctor and got over it with over the counter meds.

Good luck!

• Like 2

We just got off b2b N Statendam, which was our first cruise since Jan 2020. Yes, we always take a first aid kit, with many of the items mentioned already, with some emphasis on Covid…just in case. Yes, this involves some “worst case-ism” to pack Covid tests, and related med items. And, we were as prepared as we could be, if we became ill with Covid or something else…which has happened, more than once on other cruises. Then, it is much more helpful to have supplies immediately available, rather than to struggle, scramble, to try to obtain med items, in challenging circumstances. But, and we are very thankful, we did not need any of out first aid kit items on the cruise just ended…last Saturday. That’s okay with us. I brought our kit home, untouched. The we I/we see it, better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Broon said:

We just got off b2b N Statendam, which was our first cruise since Jan 2020. Yes, we always take a first aid kit, with many of the items mentioned already, with some emphasis on Covid…just in case. Yes, this involves some “worst case-ism” to pack Covid tests, and related med items. And, we were as prepared as we could be, if we became ill with Covid or something else…which has happened, more than once on other cruises. Then, it is much more helpful to have supplies immediately available, rather than to struggle, scramble, to try to obtain med items, in challenging circumstances. But, and we are very thankful, we did not need any of out first aid kit items on the cruise just ended…last Saturday. That’s okay with us. I brought our kit home, untouched. The we I/we see it, better safe than sorry.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Like 3

Thermometer, oxymeter, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, cold/flu meds, sleep aid, meclizine, cough drops, test kits,  band aids, neosporin, Icy hot.  Haven't used anything (yet!) as Jack, Jim, Tito and Jose work quite well. 😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, julia said:

Thermometer, oxymeter, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, cold/flu meds, sleep aid, meclizine, cough drops, test kits,  band aids, neosporin, Icy hot.  Haven't used anything (yet!) as Jack, Jim, Tito and Jose work quite well. 😅

Adding OTC cortisone cream, an antihistamine, topical Benadryl, peptobismol (can be used as a preventive treatment for some bacterial food borne illnesses), a laxative and tweezers. Most of these I only take a few doses with me, so they don’t take up much space.

https://wdhd.worldgastroenterology.org/UserFiles/events/WDHD/2011/FAQs-travelers-diarrhea.pdf

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

My "Covid Kit" is in a clear zippered bag.  It contains 10 tests, pulse oximeter, thermometer, sore throat drops, a DM cough suppressant, pain killers, cough drops, nose drops, & antihistamine. 

We were also able to get an Rx for Paxlovid and [thankfully], had it with us on our cruise in Aug. when we got Covid.

I advise against using a menthol or lemon flavored cough drop when taking Paxlovid.  It amplified the metallic taste and made it so much worse.  I found that having a sweet candy, like a LifeSaver, helped a lot.

We also carry 7 days of our extra Rx meds.

• Like 4

We agree with the extra Rx meds (at least a week).  Since DW and I are both high risk (if we get COVID) we also carry Paxlovid (our family physician wrote the script and thought it was a good idea)   and take some COVID tests.  I would add that we are fully vaccinated (including the newest booster for Omicron) and will have our flu shots before we again cruise (in about 8 days).   We also carry our normal "drug store" including Tylenol, a couple of antibiotics and the usual bandaids, bandages, etc.  

I would add that DW and I have been on multiple cruises since COVID (including Greece, transatlatnic, Caribbean) and will soon be back in the Caribbean and Antarctica.  On all of those cruises we have socialized, generally not worn masks (except where required), socialized, shared dining tables, etc.  And somehow, we have managed to avoid COVID.  I only mention this to point out that not everyone who travels/cruises gets COVID.   We do practice "common sense" but have honestly changed much of our lifestyle due to COVID.  Ironically, all of our friends/family who have not been traveling have all had COVID (at least once).

My pet peeves for avoiding COVID (and other bugs)are to avoid crowded elevators (we prefer to use the stairs) and keep our distance from folks who are coughing/sneezing.  Otherwise, it is fun as usual.   We also continue our normal practice (for many years) of queue avoidance.  Being crammed into lines has never been our idea of fun.

Hank

• Like 8

Forget getting any disease - clean up.  My twice daily routine (at least) on ships is mouthwash, saline nasal spray , face washing at least once during the day besides your normal morning and evening face washing, hand washing at the very least before every meal

• Like 3

In addition to the other suggestions I brought these on a TA cruise in April, where several of our group did get Covid, but extra first aid is good for all the other illnesses on ships. I put these items in my 9 x6x4 clear zipper bag: a small first aid kit with the usual items mentioned above, Ayr no drip saline spray, Ayr saline nasal gel, systayne eye drops, TheraZinc lozenges and Zicam Nasal all-clear swabs. Several small travel kleenex packs (extra soft for constant sneezing and so forth). Baby wipes, Tums, pepto bismol, Immodium, Blue nitrile gloves, and because there were lots of reported toilet issues in quarantined rooms getting no service, I brought zip lock bags and a few scrub brushes to toss after use, and which I was very happy not to use, but glad I had. Now that bag is ready to go in case of fire, earthquakes, hurricanes or killer bee attacks, also in case of quarantine, 2 of all shared toiletries, lotions, toothpaste, device chargers, etc

Edited by JaneRetired
typos :-)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Forget getting any disease - clean up.  My twice daily routine (at least) on ships is mouthwash, saline nasal spray , face washing at least once during the day besides your normal morning and evening face washing, hand washing at the very least before every meal

I hope people are washing their hand more than 3 times a day 🤮.

• Like 3

So much to be thankful for . The above posts are definitely appreciated

.Although  we have had the virus & have natural immunity ,still there are always possibilities on ships & elsewhere  , We are going to ask our doctor for a RX for the Pfizer frug  discussed above  . 

Add to out long list of  meds are KN 05 masks ;which we will use  except while dining   or  in the pool  .Even in the gym  we will have them with us  

23 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

So much to be thankful for . The above posts are definitely appreciated

.Although  we have had the virus & have natural immunity ,still there are always possibilities on ships & elsewhere  , We are going to ask our doctor for a RX for the Pfizer frug  discussed above  . 

Add to out long list of  meds are KN 05 masks ;which we will use  except while dining   or  in the pool  .Even in the gym  we will have them with us  

I wore mine in the gym.  One of the few people that did.

I would like to stress taking the immodium/antidiarrheal; that is the one medicine over the many years of cruising that I seem to have used the most, and when you need it, you need it right now.  I keep it and bandaids in my fanny pack that I take everywhere when not on the ship; I even had to use it one morning while awaiting disembarkation--when we had no luggage, just what was in my fanny pack for medicines.  One eats different things from normal when cruising, so you just never know.  And yes, all of the above, though I find that an antihistamine and tylenol are enough meds because when you read all the "cold and flu" remedies, those two ingredients are primary for the most part.  I find that my nose needs the most control so that it doesn't run; I may not even need tylenol, so I try to take as few "ingredients" as possible, just enough to cover my symptoms.  I even cut an antihistamine in half as that was enough needed, and it didn't make me so sleepy but dried my nose enough so that it didn't run.  Cough drops (any sucky thing really should do the trick).  And we take two weeks of extra medicine; this is per the suggestion of the cruise line.  Plus the above re tests and such.

• Like 1

I agree on all this.  And two toothpastes...  When I was isolated with Covid and DH was not, I took the toothpaste to my new room.  He went down to the shops to buy a new one, and they didn't sell it!  He had to go to the Front Desk and ask for a tube.  They laughed at him (with him?..) that his wife had taken the toothpaste...  They did give him a small tube.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I agree on all this.  And two toothpastes...  When I was isolated with Covid and DH was not, I took the toothpaste to my new room.  He went down to the shops to buy a new one, and they didn't sell it!  He had to go to the Front Desk and ask for a tube.  They laughed at him (with him?..) that his wife had taken the toothpaste...  They did give him a small tube.

We leave tomorrow.....and you remind me now that I always pack only one electric part of the toothbrushes. OK, pack another tube of toothpaste and another "electric appliance", Thanks for reminding me. 

• Like 2

I have always taken extra RX medications and some OTC meds "just in case." It seems to me that some of the mentioned items may not be necessary. My husband and brother-in-law both tested positive during our Panama Canal cruise in Oct 2021. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the treatment and support was exemplary. They were both given IV monoclonal antibodies the morning after the positive tests.  Any meds needed to cope with symptoms were provided and the support team did everything possible to make the isolation as pleasant as possible. At the end of the cruise we were transported to a 4 star hotel until the isolation period was completed. The liaison group continued to check on our needs and also arranged transportation to the airport. We were not charged for any of the above.  They were willing to cover any costs for changing flights, etc that were not covered by travel insurance. We were given future cruise credit for each day in isolation onboard. They went above and beyond any expectations and we felt safe coping with Covid under their direction.

I am concerned that passengers who test and treat themselves without the medical center may not properly isolate, thus exposing other passengers. I understand wanting to have anything you may need, but our experience with the medical center leads to confidence that they can and will handle anything that is needed. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, not in ks anymore said:

I have always taken extra RX medications and some OTC meds "just in case." It seems to me that some of the mentioned items may not be necessary. My husband and brother-in-law both tested positive during our Panama Canal cruise in Oct 2021. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the treatment and support was exemplary. They were both given IV monoclonal antibodies the morning after the positive tests.  Any meds needed to cope with symptoms were provided and the support team did everything possible to make the isolation as pleasant as possible. At the end of the cruise we were transported to a 4 star hotel until the isolation period was completed. The liaison group continued to check on our needs and also arranged transportation to the airport. We were not charged for any of the above.  They were willing to cover any costs for changing flights, etc that were not covered by travel insurance. We were given future cruise credit for each day in isolation onboard. They went above and beyond any expectations and we felt safe coping with Covid under their direction.

I am concerned that passengers who test and treat themselves without the medical center may not properly isolate, thus exposing other passengers. I understand wanting to have anything you may need, but our experience with the medical center leads to confidence that they can and will handle anything that is needed. 

The problem is that there have been many reports that don’t point to your same treatment on this board.  That said, I do agree with you.  I would never be able to get a prescription from my doctor just in case.  I’m not taking a suitcase full of meds either because I don’t tolerate most medications very well that includes otc and prescription meds.

• Like 1