The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 1st, 2022

richwmn

40 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Just received this pic of SW Florida's Sanibel Island's landmass BEFORE (left) and AFTER (right) Hurricane Ian.

There are no words. Just tears and prayers for those impacted...

Screenshot_20221001-122129.thumb.png.e16c15c30e30ab3acdbf1f0495bd5a09.png

-Melisa 

And right below it is Fort Myers Beach. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Just received this pic of SW Florida's Sanibel Island's landmass BEFORE (left) and AFTER (right) Hurricane Ian.

-Melisa 

So in looking at a map I see that the island running north-south at the top is Pine Island and the one at the bottom under the words Sanibel Island is actually Sanibel.  I'm not that familar with Pine Island but it's missing most of the land mass they had before.  Same with Sanibel Island.  We stayed on Sanibel once on a little vacation at one of our neighbor's condos they rented out.  It was 1998 because DD, ex-SIL, and oldest grandchild stayed with us.  He was just learning to crawl and it was all we could do to corral him in one spot to keep him out of mischief!  So sad to see those photos!

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were just watching on HGTV

A Place in the Sun and the couple were shown properties on Sanibel Island.

It is such a beautiful place and it is devastating to see what the hurricane has done. 

Ironic they had Sanibel Island on HGTV today!

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

All I can say to the pictures is WOW and YIKES!   😱  My heart goes out to all who were affected on the island and all the animals that were left there.  Florida and the residents were certainly left with a truly horrendous situation.

Lenda

I hope there's enough land left to rebuild it enough to bring back tourism.

12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Florida Power & Light just emailed an update on power restoration broken down by county.  

They hope to be able to provide an estimate for when they expect to restore power in the hardest hit counties by the end of today. @StLouisCruisers have your DGD find out what she will encounter in Tampa, before driving all that way. Perhaps her area will be up and running. 

•Alachua, Martin, Indian River, Putnam, St. Lucie and St. Johns counties will be 95 percent restored by end of day Saturday, Oct. 1.

•Brevard and Okeechobee counties will be 95 percent restored by end of day Sunday, Oct. 2.

•Flagler, Seminole and Volusia counties will be 95 percent restored by end of day Tuesday, Oct. 4.

•Charlotte, Collier, De Soto, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota counties are still being assessed for damages and we expect to provide estimated restoration times by end of day on Saturday, Oct. 1.

•Baker, Bradford, Broward, Clay, Columbia, Hardee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Nassau, Palm Beach, Suwannee and Union counties are considered essentially restored.

Ann, I don't see Hillsborough County on there. I wonder if they have full power up and running?  She will definitely need to find that out.  I think calling the apartment rental office would be a good place to check in with. 

I'll send her the link you supplied, too.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 15

Does anyone know what this is going to turn into?  It is attached to the  garage door frame and DH wants it gone.  I'm not sure if I should try to move it or kill it.  It is quite large - around an inch long.  I imagine it's going to be a moth but I'm not sure what type.IMG_2134.thumb.jpeg.ab96017fd787009ec87faf6f2384a3db.jpeg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So in looking at a map I see that the island running north-south at the top is Pine Island and the one at the bottom under the words Sanibel Island is actually Sanibel.  I'm not that familar with Pine Island but it's missing most of the land mass they had before.  Same with Sanibel Island.  We stayed on Sanibel once on a little vacation at one of our neighbor's condos they rented out.  It was 1998 because DD, ex-SIL, and oldest grandchild stayed with us.  He was just learning to crawl and it was all we could do to corral him in one spot to keep him out of mischief!  So sad to see those photos!

Ironic they had Sanibel Island on HGTV today!

I hope there's enough land left to rebuild it enough to bring back tourism.

Ann, I don't see Hillsborough County on there. I wonder if they have full power up and running?  She will definitely need to find that out.  I think calling the apartment rental office would be a good place to check in with. 

I'll send her the link you supplied, too.

Sandi

ask your DGD which company supplies her electricity. It may not be FP&L. I think Duke Energy provides power to some areas. And there may be other providers.  She should be able to Google them and find out some basic info. But I agree that her apartment complex would have the best info for her. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Actually I mentioned a route I saw on Google maps earlier, but I wonder if she could stay on 60 all the way to 75 near Brandon?  

That would avoid some of the worst “to be avoided at all costs” roads.

There is some kind of caution right before Lake Garfield, but if she checks the website I shared, she will know whether it is temporary or something she needs to avoid. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

@cat shepard  On Friday nights I often watch a few episodes of "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" on the Food Network.  Last night they were in your town.  I have no idea how old this episode was.  I think the place was called Villa Rose(?).

Rose Villa is wonderful. Great ambiance and creative, delicious food. A bit pricy, so it is saved for special celebrations, but it is a favorite of many people in my area. 

I would not put it in any of the categories of the title of the show though. But who cares, they deserve all the recognition they get!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Does anyone know what this is going to turn into?  It is attached to the  garage door frame and DH wants it gone.  I'm not sure if I should try to move it or kill it.  It is quite large - around an inch long.  I imagine it's going to be a moth but I'm not sure what type.IMG_2134.thumb.jpeg.ab96017fd787009ec87faf6f2384a3db.jpeg

Ann it looks as if it has eyes. 😱

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Ann it looks as if it has eyes. 😱

It's weird.  I did manage to move it onto the shed.  It's starting to make sticky silk threads to build its cocoon.  I didn't want to leave it on the door frame, and I'm surprised it's making its cocoon so late in the summer.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Today is DH`s Birthday.  Nothing planned other than a wonderful cake from Publix.

A very happy birthday to your DH 🙂 

845214AB-FDF1-486D-AF85-DF1950CDC44F.jpeg.fb3029d29adae873ae09c874fc266466.jpeg

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

As everything seems to happen in 3's, it appears I'm the 3rd in the "lost earring department" - yesterday I wore a pair I'd purchased with our recently departed friend when we were in Aruba. 

Oh darn Gerry 😠 I sure hope it turns up.  Once you have checked the usual spots and stops, sometimes when you stop looking, it mysteriously appears.  I sure hope it does for you 🤞 

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@kazuthank you for the tip on foliage needing to go into the bags for pick up.   Dry is always easier to deal unless it is windy.   I have cut back the lush foliage on my Canna lilies but we need more cold weather for me to be able to dig them.

Happy to say I’ve never had my bags blow away (unless we are getting a tropical storm & then they don’t go out 😉).  Mine are usually pretty heavy even with drying the stuff as much as I can.

My cannas and dahlias are being worked on now.  Begonias are done and drying.  I have to be early this year as things have to be done before I go.

And, I normally have all the bulbs in the house by Thanksgiving.  Hoping if the nice weather holds I can get some of them half way dried outside.  I am using a rack this year in the house which is working quite well but only have a couple.

@kpladyCongratulations on retiring.  Hope you have a very happy one and enjoy things to the fullest!

8002F7E6-5ECD-4125-80BF-86FF1F364060.jpeg.665a310b39a2cce0d607d5c976e58f62.jpeg

@lindalerGood for you on your Grand and cruises. 👍 Can’t blame you for being excited at all 🙂.  I completely agree - we don’t know what awaits us and time is precious.  Enjoy all the planning and anticipation and have a great cruise 🙂 

3 hours ago, jimgev said:

Hello friends   It has been a few days since I have been able to check in here. We experienced a devastating hurricane. Our community is a mess. We are without power, phone service and internet with no estimate on wheat anything may be restored. But we are safe. 
thank you for your concern.

So relieved to hear you are both safe.  Whew! 😥   So sorry about the state of your community but grateful you are both ok.  I hope things can be restored for you as quickly as humanly possible.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Life is strange these days. Is Covid really over?

No, sadly it’s not and I fear we are losing some of the requirements too soon.  They are talking about new variants this morning on the news 😔 

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We will be away for 2 weeks.  Be back on Oct. 18. Thanks for the good wishes.

Hoping all your travels go smoothly and you have a wonderful anniversary trip.  Enjoy 🙂 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Thinking of Jacqui, @kazu, and travel woes in Toronto - Pat got this app, which we have so far only used in Seattle, so don't know how it would work in Toronto US passport control.  It is amazing.

Thanks Ann.  I plan on downloading that app to get through U.S. customs in December.  I couldn’t see a dedicated line when I went looking but it is supposed to speed things up.  It’s new since the last time we went to the U.S.

If I could have found out for Pearson, I might have been able to ‘fake’ the connection to San Diego but talking to Air Canada, they said it was highly unlikely.  My reply - then why offer the flight.

Much appreciated 👍 

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Does anyone know what this is going to turn into?  It is attached to the  garage door frame and DH wants it gone.  I'm not sure if I should try to move it or kill it.

After I quoted you, I saw you moved it.  You are kinder than I.  Remember the expression for the fridge - “if in doubt throw it out”. Well, the same thing applies for me for unknowns in insect world.  “If in doubt, destroy it”.  LOL.  I guess I’m not as kind hearted as you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Actually that is Pine Island. Sanibel is the crescent shaped island at the bottom of the picture. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I probably have killed whatever it is.  After looking at a few videos on u-tube, I see it had already attached itself in order to pupate, so in moving it I don't know if I have irreparably damaged it.  I think I will call the Butterfly Gardens and see what they say.

• Like 12

Well, all that worrying and planning for nothing.  DGD and her friend did their research and found out the apartment was fine with full power.  I'm not even going to get into which route they took because it doesn't matter anymore.  She's home!  🥳

• Like 21

25 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Actually that is Pine Island. Sanibel is the crescent shaped island at the bottom of the picture. 

YES, sorry, Sanibel is absolutely the labeled crescent at the bottom of each picture -- and now a much smaller crescent!

I didn't mean to create confusion by my reference to left and right. I did not mean the unlabeled island. I meant that the left picture was before Ian and that the right picture was after Ian.

A good reminder for me to be more careful with my descriptions of an area that is familiar to me but less familiar to others. Thanks @jimgev !

-M.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

...check the following website. It would have the most current and reliable info available, but it still might not be perfect. it includes traffic info and road closures for the state.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/traffic/live_traffic_feed.html

Wow! Thanks for posting this helpful traffic site, @cat shepard. I've added it to my home screen for future use.

-M.

• Like 15

Bolt Creek Fire Update: Evacuation Guidance has been dropped for the entire area. The highway is opened, but lower speed limits exist through the active fire region. The strategy for fighting this fire is 'consumption'. It is expected to burn within the perimeter until it runs out of fuel or, more likely, the rains and snow come. A little rain is predicted the middle of October now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, all that worrying and planning for nothing.  DGD and her friend did their research and found out the apartment was fine with full power.  I'm not even going to get into which route they took because it doesn't matter anymore.  She's home!  🥳

I'm happy to hear your good  news Sandi that your DGD is back in her apartment and has full power as well.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@StLouisCruisers - East Coast FL Daily-ites will need to advise you on I-95 routes. I'm just a Midwest gal who travels I-65 north/south avoiding even I-75 until I have no choice but to take it north/south off US-10 in northern FL.

I have heard about significant flooding in mid- and central- Florida. That might impact your DGD's choices. Other Daily-ites can give you better East Coast to Tampa advice, I'm sure.

-M.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Melisa thank you for reminding me…

@StLouisCruisers

Sandi, have your DGD check the following website. It would have the most current and reliable info available, but it still might not be perfect. it includes traffic info and road closures for the state.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/traffic/live_traffic_feed.html

Roads are generally clear around Lakeland and US 27 which intersects with I-75 west of Ft. Lauderdale might be a good choice. That portion of 27 north is an easy drive and does not usually carry heavy traffic. It runs north/south through the center of the state.

• Like 11