Survived Hurricane Ian

aml3679

Thank goodness our home is intact except our roof is damaged, we need a new one anyway.

Many homes in our mobile home park did not fare so well.

We lost everything in our refrigerator and freezer.

No power.

Stayed in a hotel for a week with half power and cold water.

we checked out today with our two cats.

thankfully, my brother-in-law lives in the same park and has power, so we will be camping out with him for a few days.

Supposed to leave on Wednesday her cruise, we may not have power by the time it’s time to pack.

Looking forward to our cruise and relaxing after a very hectic and scary week.

If the hurricane shifted 25 miles To the north, we would’ve lost everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So happy to hear that you are ok and escaped any major harm.   Our thoughts have been with all of you that have been affected.    It is so sad to see how hard hit some of the area have suffered. 

I'm sure it makes you so thankful that you were spared such total destruction.

• Like 3

We who live on the Gulf know that when a hurricane enters the Gulf, Someone is going to suffer. We were lucky up on the Fla Panhandle, and are looking at ways to send help, probably Red Cross support. 

Glad tho OP wasnt hurt badly, but we know there are regular posters on CC further south in the hit area who cant get on line to share who were badly damaged. The OP has a very strong positive view of it all, realizing how lucky they were. 

This is a disaster for so very many. 

Den

• Like 4

Thank goodness you are okay; yes, enjoy that upcoming cruise knowing that your roof can be fixed and that you deserve this 'boat ride."  All our friends and family are safe too, even my cousin in Naples.  

Edited by Lastdance

We are in Punta Gorda FL and suffered a direct hit.  Most have no power, no internet, spotty cell service and water restored the other day.  The destruction in our little town is unfathomable but we are blessed to have come through it!   

• Like 13

I figured there were many in the hardest hit areas that have not been able to get online.   The boards have really been quiet for the last week, making me thing that many  of our CC members may be in the affected area and may not yet have power and internet.

I got a call from some friends we met recently who live about 35 miles to the South and escaped any damage but didn't have water for a day and still don't have power.    She wanted to let us know she was ok and kidded us about Ian (different spelling) came blowing through.   We were relieved they were ok.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aml3679 said:

Thank goodness our home is intact except our roof is damaged, we need a new one anyway.

Many homes in our mobile home park did not fare so well.

We lost everything in our refrigerator and freezer.

No power.

Stayed in a hotel for a week with half power and cold water.

we checked out today with our two cats.

thankfully, my brother-in-law lives in the same park and has power, so we will be camping out with him for a few days.

Supposed to leave on Wednesday her cruise, we may not have power by the time it’s time to pack.

Looking forward to our cruise and relaxing after a very hectic and scary week.

If the hurricane shifted 25 miles To the north, we would’ve lost everything.

It's good to know that you and your loved ones made it through ok and that your house mostly survived.  Hopefully you will get things secured in time to enjoy next week's cruise worry-free.

14 minutes ago, islabahia said:

We are in Punta Gorda FL and suffered a direct hit.  Most have no power, no internet, spotty cell service and water restored the other day.  The destruction in our little town is unfathomable but we are blessed to have come through it!   

Hello Neighbor, we're in North Port. We're fortunate to have water and power and the same spotty cell coverage. Flooding is terrible. I'm from Miami and have been through way too many hurricanes, including Charlie which devastated Punta Gorda in 2004. I told my husband that the next hurricane, we're going to put up the hurricane shutters and go on a cruise!

• Like 5

As a survivor of Hurricane Andrew when  our house was destroyed We are heartbroken for our neighbors in the West Coast.  We have already made donations to the Red Cross and urge everyone that can help to,do,so. The devastation in some areas is immense and it will take a long time to rebuild. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am so relieved that your home wasn’t destroyed, and neither you nor your brother were injured. I hope you have a wonderful cruise! 

Many of the lovely people we’ve met on our cruises live in southwestern Florida so I’ve been watching cruise critic for posts. Many thanks to all of you who post status. You give hope to those who’ve not yet heard from friends and family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been regular visitors from the UK to Florida for over thirty years. Our heart goes out to all whose homes and livelihoods have been affected…

OP, sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise, so glad you and your family are safe and well…

• Like 2

Met a chap who was originally from York, a fellow Leeds United fan, who now lives in Naples, on the Equinox. Hope him and his wife are well, they had booked to stay on and do the subsequent ABC cruise. Never got to know his name

We are in Punta Gorda also.  Left at the last minute Tuesday night and slept in the car one night and spent Wed. and Thurs. in a HI Express that we were lucky to get the last room. (I actually asked at one hotel that didn't have vacancies, but I guess I looked so pathetic he said I have a sister property in Ft. Lauderdale that has one room available, I'll call and tell them to hold it).

Anyway came home to no air or water. Threw out almost all of our refrigerated items.  Out damage was some water seepage through the front door that damaged a love seat, lost a little bit of soffit, lost one tile and lost 5 palms and our bushes are a mess.  

Our water and air came on last night.  We were very fortunate.  They were predicting 18 feet of storm surge for Punta Gorda.  We're on a canal.  Our elevation is 9 feet, so we would have lost everything.

But due to what I consider a "miracle" we had no storm surge and the above damage is all we suffered.

• Like 8

We are in Venice and are lucky to have power and water. Our street was flooded for two days so we just got out. Cell service is very spotty so it is hard to communicate with family. Just keep trying. We have no internet or tv so we only hear of the destruction when messages get thru.  Gas lines are over two hours..  Grocery stores are open with limited amounts.   That being said everyone is amazing and helping each other. I feel blessed to live here. 

• Like 7

In Naples, FL here.

We survived Irma in 2017 and now Ian.

Electricity, cellular and internet are coming back on line. Flooding here was closer to the coast.

Physical damage was much worse north of Naples in areas like Bonita, Sanibel, Matlacha, Pine Island and Ft. Myers Beach.

Was in Miami Friday. Alligator Alley (75) was normal driving to Miami. Heavier traffic than usual returning to Naples with so many trucks e.g.; electric utility, fuel, Home Depot/Lowes loaded with generators and supplies. Miami showed no effects from the storm. Gas, food, traffic normal. 

Gas stations closed due to no electricity are opening. Grocery stores where emptied and are refilling shelves now.

Ntl Guard hands out water at many spots for those needing it. We've had cooler nights in the low 70's making it more comfortable for those without electricity/air conditioning.

Very unfortunate for those who lost homes and property.

Those who stayed in evacuation areas took very risky chances when there were opportunities to leave and safe shelters were open to keep them safe. Some of those who risked staying, payed dearly.

Am very impressed with the FL State Government pre-positioning of assets, 7,000 National Guard, cooperation with relief orgs (e.g.; Red Cross), rescue, food and keeping law and order.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kilroyshere said:

Gas stations closed due to no electricity are opening. 

You know there is a LAW on the books and has been for a long time (after Andrew or at least Charley) that gas stations are supposed to have generators.  Many of those closed gas stations have fuel, but no electricity.

32 minutes ago, mafig said:

You know there is a LAW on the books and has been for a long time (after Andrew or at least Charley) that gas stations are supposed to have generators.  Many of those closed gas stations have fuel, but no electricity.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Many gas station and other stand by generators were damaged due to rising water or were hit by 100 mph flying debris and didn't work.

One major Grocery store chain location in my neighborhood had generator failure. They lost all fresh produce, fruit, meats and all frozen stores.

Gas replenishment supplies were hampered by demand exceeding supply...that's another issue for a political forum.

There were long lines to get gas where it was available and they had generators. The lines are subsiding and more stations are open now.

Many gas station employees were unable to get to work or had personal needs to attend to as result of the hurricane that prohibited them from assisting the station operations. 

With no electricity in 90% of Naples for several days, EV (Electric Vehicles) had only what juice and range that was charged in them before the hurricane.

Laws do not and will not make these natural disasters any more tolerable than this last one was.

• Like 4

We finally got power back on yesterday.

Threw away about $400 worth of food.

Our roof got some damage and then the insurance adjuster is coming out on Tuesday after we get back from our cruise.

We were very fortunate. Had the storm shifted 25 miles north, we would’ve lost everything.

My husband is golfing with his brothers today and I helped him pack yesterday and I did my packing today.

Our cruise leaves on Thursday but we are staying in Port Canaveral overnight starting tomorrow.

It is been a very expensive and stressful week and we will be glad to get on a cruise ship and relax 

• Like 3

I live in South Venice, and my neighborhood still has no power (I have well water so no water either without power) and we're in a red zone per Sarasota County meaning access is limited to residents and business owners.  I'm at my summer place in Maine still and itching to get back there to look at the damage and file my insurance claim etc., but there is no sense going back before there is power as I'd have no way to clean up.  My next door neighbor had flooding into her house but my house sits up a few feet higher and she says I did not get any flooding, just roof damage, small trees etc. down, and minor damage to the front fascia of the house.  Of course she can't get inside as I foolishly did not leave keys with anyone this year--I'm just hoping there is no water/mold damage inside.

I consider myself lucky when I compare my situation to even my next door neighbor's.  I am hopeful that in a few weeks things will be heading towards normal in  my neighborhood, albeit with fewer trees and a lot more roof tarps than before.  I feel just awful for those who took a bigger punch from the wind and those who experienced serious flooding--the news stories are heartbreaking.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

I consider myself lucky when I compare my situation to even my next door neighbor's.  I am hopeful that in a few weeks things will be heading towards normal in  my neighborhood, albeit with fewer trees and a lot more roof tarps than before.  I feel just awful for those who took a bigger punch from the wind and those who experienced serious flooding--the news stories are heartbreaking.

The FL National Guard is giving away roof tarps at multiple locations in Collier, Lee, Charlotte and Sarasota Counties. At those same sites, food, water, ice and other necessities are being given away.

Wishing you well.

Edited by Kilroyshere
spelling

As a fellow Gulf Coast resident, my thoughts and prayers are with you all - we know what it can be like. The hardest hit people have likely not yet been able to post.

As for gas stations, having a generator is the first part of the problem. Getting low paid people to their jobs can be a huge problem. The owner or manager of the gas station can only work so many hours. All the barriers that make it difficult for many lower income folks to work steadily are even worse in a hurricane - transport, child care, taking a shower at home - all those are a challenge in hard hit areas, and frankly in the surrounding, less affected communities because they are supporting the responders and the badly damaged areas.

We see this a lot in healthcare - you need environmental services and cafeteria staff and phlebotomists to run your hospital, and they can’t work for whatever reasons after the storm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1