ALASKA ADVICE APPRECIATED

datone

Just wondering if some experienced Alaska cruisers could help me out with some information on Alaska cruises.   My husband and I will be coming from Australia and want to do an Alaskan cruise.   I have seen an itinerary we like which is a Vancouver round trip for 11 nights on Sapphire Princess on 29 April 2023.   There are 5 ports and 2 days of scenic cruising with what seems to be ample time in each port.   This is the only date for this itinerary so cannot do it later in the season.   Is this too early for an Alaskan cruise?   We like the size of the Sapphire and have been on this ship before and prefer it to Majestic Princess.   The other option we are considering is a 10-night round trip from San Francisco on Ruby Princess on 6 June 2023 which has 4 ports and 1 day of scenic cruising.   The benefit of this is that we could break up the long trip and have a few days in SF previously which we have never been to.  Part of me thinks if we are coming all the way from Australia we should see as much as possible so maybe the SF cruise is not the best option.   I have also looked at the 7 night one way trips between Vancouver and Anchorage (Whittier).   Is Anchorage a must and do we miss anything by not going there?   We also want to go to Las Vegas for a few days after the cruise (again to break up the long flight home) so thought it might be easier to get from Vancouver to LV rather than Anchorage to LV or have I got this wrong?   And then there is the cruise tours.   We were considering them too but have read that there are issues getting all the way into Denali which may not be fixed before next season so are they still worth doing?   I know I have asked a lot of questions but it is really confusing deciding what to do so any help or advice is much appreciated.

There is a recent extensive thread on here with lots of info for you It is entitled First Time Alaska …which scenerio for us?   And was started by dlcal . Good place to start!  have a great voyage.

I can't help with the Alaska side of your questions but I am booked on Crown Princess on June 2, 2023 from Vancouver which has a very similar itinerary except that it does not include Glacier Bay and includes Victoria. This could be another option for you.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?s_tnt=471913%3A0%3A0&adobe_mc_sdid=SDID%3D2A3BBEED1EC15C17-2F091C3E82313141|MCORGID%3D21C91F2F575539D07F000101%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1664918740&voyageCode=3313N

So early in the Alaskan cruise season you would be up against not the greatest weather with cold temps at sea in the 32-40* and on land typically in 40's with highs possibly topping out around 50-53 for the inside passage and much colder north in Anchorage *. 

All of our 8 Alaska cruises all have been between June 15 thru August 14, July preferred, with more enjoyable weather.        

• Like 1

OP just my 2 cents worth.   Our favorite view of Alaska was our first trip to Alaska  from Anchorage to Vancouver.   There were multiple stops to see the glacers and fjords.    Our last trip was round trip from Seattle  with only one day of cruising the glacers.   Unfortunately  the day was cancelled due to fog.   I would opt for the 11 day trip becuase you will see so much more .   It would be a shame if you flew all that way to see Alaska and missed out on what I think is the best part of the cruise. The Glacers and fjords.

Joe

Edited by waltd
  • Like 2

I have cruised Princess to Alaska 6 or 8 times.  

IMHO

Glacier Bay National Park is the crown jewel of Alaskan glacier cruising.  Not all cruises visit GBNP, so check the itinerary. 

Anchorage is our least favorite Alaskan port.  However, a day trip to the mendenhall glacier outside of anchorage is quite good.  Also, anchorage is a good location if you desire a helicopter glacier tour.  The helicopter tour that lands on the glacier for a walk or dog adventure rivals Machu Picchu. I think you can also do the helicopter tour from Skagway. 

The Vancouver/ Whittier departure advantage is you can sometimes visit College Fjord which is located near Whittier, Alaska. The cruise from San Francisco, my home port, only goes as far north as Glacier Bay. However, cruising under the Golden Gate from SF is maybe the best sail way view in the world. 

If you visit the  Hubbard glacier, consider the one and only excursion.  Hubbard Glacier is technically a sea and scenic cruise day, but sometimes they offer a special tour. The Princess ship enters the fjord as far as possible, then a tour will transfer you directly from the ship to a small tour vessel.  The Princess ship then leaves.  You sail much, much further into the fjord and you later catch up with the ship that is already in port.  Quite spectacular. Reserve with Princess as soon as it is made available as it will be sold out soon 

Lots of short and non stop flights from LV to SF multiple times per day. Flight from LV to Anchorage, as I recall, all require a plane change in Seattle.   Check Alaska Airlines for the Anchorage flights. 

Weather is always like Las Vegas.  It is a gamble. We have had 75 degree weather in Anchorage in May and 45 degree weather in May. 

If you visit SF consider a day trip to Muir Woods National Park about one hour from downtown SF.  Reservations are a must.  

Edited by tcdcruiser

I've done Alaska about 30 times. Aside from being a bit early this is a nice route. Hubbard and Glacier Bay and good port times. May be a little cool but early season tends to be a bit drier. My favorite excursion is in Juneau for an all day trip to Tracy Arm and you have enough port time to do this and get up close and personal with a glacier. Vancouver is a nice city to explore and worth a couple days to visit before or after the cruise. I would consider this one myself but I can't be gone the first week of a month for work.

18 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

IMHO

Glacier Bay National Park is the crown jewel of Alaskan glacier cruising.  Not all cruises visit GBNP, so check the itinerary. 

Anchorage is our least favorite Alaskan port.  However, a day trip to the mendenhall glacier outside of anchorage is quite good.  Also, anchorage is a good location if you desire a helicopter glacier tour.  The helicopter tour that lands on the glacier for a walk or dog adventure rivals Machu Picchu. I think you can also do the helicopter tour from Skagway. 

I think you are mixing up Anchorage with Juneau.  Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau.  Juneau also has helicopter excursions that land on a glacier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

IMHO

The Vancouver/ Whittier departure advantage is you can sometimes visit College Fjord which is located near Whittier, Alaska. The cruise from San Francisco, my home port, only goes as far north as Glacier Bay. However, cruising under the Golden Gate from SF is maybe the best sail way view in the world. 

If you visit the  Hubbard glacier, consider the one and only excursion.  Hubbard Glacier is technically a sea and scenic cruise day, but sometimes they offer a special tour. The Princess ship enters the fjord as far as possible, then a tour will transfer you directly from the ship to a small tour vessel.  The Princess ship then leaves.  You sail much, much further into the fjord and you later catch up with the ship that is already in port.  Quite spectacular. Reserve with Princess as soon as it is made available as it will be sold out soon 

Lots of short and non stop flights from LV to SF multiple times per day. Flight from LV to Anchorage, as I recall, all require a plane change in Seattle.   Check Alaska Airlines for the Anchorage flights. 

Weather is always like Las Vegas.  It is a gamble. We have had 75 degree weather in Anchorage in May and 45 degree weather in May. 

If you visit SF consider a day trip to Muir Woods National Park about one hour from downtown SF.  Reservations are a must.  

Mendenhall Glacier is just outside Juneau.  Anchorage is the terminus on northbound cruises.

Many comments about Balcony size. I don't see this as a big deal. It might be important for those who like to stretch out, sunbathe, read a book etc. But this is not a priority on an Alaskan cruise. Viewing is best done on deck where you can move around and try various locations.

3 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

Mendenhall Glacier is just outside Juneau.  Anchorage is the terminus on northbound cruises.

Again? 

You must of missed it this was already brought up yesterday, post 8, 9, 10.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Many comments about Balcony size. I don't see this as a big deal. It might be important for those who like to stretch out, sunbathe, read a book etc. But this is not a priority on an Alaskan cruise. Viewing is best done on deck where you can move around and try various locations.

I know some people like the privacy of their own balcony.  It can get crowded up on deck, and there are always lots of kids dashing about.  For size, nothing beat the old Caribe balconies on the Grand class ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

For size, nothing beat the old Caribe balconies on the Grand class ships.

Agree, DW and I like balconies, love the fresh air in the cabin etc. but don't spend a lot of time on the balcony. As I said, I understand people stretching out, reading a book, watching the waves on sea days, but that is not Alaska. I do take your point about balcony privacy.

OP, you might also want to check out this discussion -- Favorite Cruises In May -- ocer on the "Ask a Cruise Question Board.

With absolutely no humility at all, I am copying a post that I made on that thread:

...........................................................................................................................................................

We have taken two AK cruises that actually departed the last week of April.  I am going to vote with the others that endorsed May AK cruises.

As has already been noted, because of school schedules, there are far fewer families traveling.  If you are on an early May cruise  you might see fewer cruise ships in some of the ports,  We have had several port stops in which we were the only ship docked that day.  We have also been the first cruise ship of the year a couple times.

On what some might describe as the "minus side:"

• You might beat some migrating whales up to Alaska.  That being said. we have never taken an Alaska cruise (We're up to six.) in which we did not see whales from our balcony.  Clearly, though, the later in the spring that you go, the more whales you are likely to see;
  • Some businesses in the ports may not be open in the very first weeks of May--most notably in Skagway which is very economically dependent on the cruise industry..  So, a few shops or restaurants may not be open, yet.  This is not a problem in larger towns such as Juneau or Ketchikan which both have large year-round populations.
  • The weather might be cooler, but we have never experienced freezing cold.  Yes, take a warm jacket, and, yes, take a hat.  Also, plan on seeing some rain.  Rain happens in Alaska no matter what month.  I cannot say that we have seen more or less in the spring.  If, you have a small umbrella that you can pack, that might be handy for walking around the ports, but, again, that is my recommendation for any AK cruise.  I can report that the biggest storm we ever experienced on an Alaska cruise--heck, on any cruise--was in the Gulf of Alaska in August.

Bon Voyage.  I am envious.

...........................................................................................................................................................

As you can see, I heartily endorse early season cruises to Alaska.  One thing that I would add specific to your situation is that since you are flying across the Pacific Ocean just to board the cruise ship, I would recommend the longest cruise possible.  To me, just driving to an airport is painful.  Then, having to deal with airport protocols followed by a v e r y  l o n g  f l i g h t, I would want to reward myself with the best cruise possible--longer is better in cruising.  The 11-day roundtrip out of Vancouver sounds great.  We have taken the 10-day roundtrip out of San Francisco twice (both times were in September) and feel that is a good itinerary also.  One marginal benefit of the San Francisco itinerary is that you will not have to deal with customs and immigration on your short flight from San Francisco to Las Vegas.

Bon Voyage.

Edited by XBGuy

I live in AK, and April can still have snow. For your one AK experience, I wouldn’t risk that time of year. Last week of May through early August are good. If you absolutely need to do the San Francisco itin to make your trip work, do it, but the 7 day one way between Vancouver and Whittier (Anchorage) is the best. To really see it all, do the cruisetour that takes you to Denali. Happy planning!

• Like 1

I sailed on the Discovery in the first week of May last summer, it was chilly but great. (This was my third Alaska trip.) Though ditto what others have posted... if this is your one and only trip, go for the better part of the season. 

We live by San Francisco so Alaska is easy for us to get cruises. Probably been there at least a dozen times from all ports.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. Nice to do a round trip there & go in a few days early.

We have cruised all the different dates & actually

prefer the early season cruises. You can get the best deals on then.

If I had only one shot shot at an Alaskan cruise...it would be Anchorage to Vancouver NOT the other way around. You are up quite a bit higher in the state & get to notice things like MUCH longer daylight.

The cruise actually leaves from Seward. Fly into Anchorage one or 2 days early. Then you take the Alaskan railroad to Seward. It stops right at the port. You could actually walk to the boat but there is a bus for the 5 min ride if you want.

It leaves early in the morning & is about a 4 to 5 hour trip. There is a dining car & glass domed car. You ride through the Denali forest which is quite spectacular & there will be a guide telling you about all the things you are passing.

For us, we get the long flight to anchorage out of the way & then only have to fly back from Vancouver to San Francisco.

You will notice that most cruises going the other way, Vancouver to Anchorage are cheaper.

That is because it is a pain in the butt to get back from there. The train or bus if you prefer, has to make the long trek back to Anchorage & you would probably wind up with  a night flight to get anywhere.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, muffin said:

There is a recent extensive thread on here with lots of info for you It is entitled First Time Alaska …which scenerio for us?   And was started by dlcal . Good place to start!  have a great voyage.

This was a bad thread by someone who was more concerned about newness of a ship and discounted any comments about viewing options for Alaska.

After a couple of "Alaska" cruises we figured out that we were seeing what should be Canada if you look at a map and weren't really experiencing Alaska.

One year we were able to book a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier (Anchorage) where we disembarked, rented a car, and drove just about every paved road and a few unpaved roads we could find up to Fairbanks and back.  After a few weeks on land we boarded a cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.  

• Like 1