On Wonder of the Seas, It’s so crowded :(

RC Dancers

This is our sixth cruise since the startup. I have never been on a ship that is so crowded. The MDR line last night went back to the elevators and wrapped completely around. You can’t find a table in the Windjammer. The ship would be understaffed at “normal” full capacity, but with so many people, service is lacking.

I wish that I could make a happy report, but we just told our friends to try to cancel their booking on this ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, RC Dancers said:

This is our sixth cruise since the startup. I have never been on a ship that is so crowded. The MDR line last night went back to the elevators and wrapped completely around. You can’t find a table in the Windjammer. The ship would be understaffed at “normal” full capacity, but with so many people, service is lacking.

I wish that I could make a happy report, but we just told our friends to try to cancel their booking on this ship.

It's a new ship, folks are excited to sail her. Gonna be crowds for a while

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

Did you board yesterday?  Was that long MDR line for MTD?  Or was it people being shown to traditional dining tables first night?

• Like 1

We're cruising with a group of 10 next month and have My Time Dining for 6:45pm. I intend to confirm that once we get on board. Hoping there won't be any unsolvable issues for us.

Also, if you don't mind, would appreciate it if you could tell us where the around the pool casitas are located and if there are some around the pool on the same deck or are they all located on the deck above the pool? 

Thanks for your help and hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise! Cheers!

20 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

If you picked a fixed dining time, you would have had no line.  There are multiple places to eat on a Oasis Class ship, for breakfast and dinner.  My guess yesterday being boarding day, people are not aware of the many choices.  I hope you friends don't cancel because you had a line on boarding day dinner. Maybe tell them to get fixed time dining and solve the issue?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

The MTD lines on EVERY Oasis class ships are long and wrap around the elevators.  This is the reason many of us have gone back to fixed traditional dining….

Never go to the Windjammer during peak times as it is always crowded on every Oasis class ship!  Every sailing we have been on we have heard them making announcements “if you have finished your meal please exit so someone can have your seat”.

I am sure the whole ship is full and busy but it sounds like it was pre-covid to me….

• Like 3

We are on fixed early dining and no one showed us to our table. We had to find it on our own.

We were on Allure of the Seas about a month ago with 5,400 or so fellow passengers and things were much more pleasant.

We hope things get better.

I just got off the Wonder yesterday. Many new staff members just came on board, and being the first sailing from Port Canaveral, there is bound to be first day issues and hopefully it will get better. It has been written on several threads about finding your MDR table prior to dinner, and then just going right to it. No need to wait in line to find out where your table is. Now that you know, just walk in.

I loved the Wonder.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am just trying to report what I see, but it could be that the government of the Peoples Republic of China’s relaxation of their Covid policies last week have filled this ship at the last moment.

I do not know this as fact. It is purely speculation on my part.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

I am just trying to report what I see, but it could be that the government of the Peoples Republic of China’s relaxation of their Covid policies last week have filled this ship at the last moment.

You may want to call your friend back and tell her to go ahead with her cruise. I would, but your call.

21 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

Your speculation is so far fetched, it is amusing.  The relaxation of the policies, is cutting two days off the isolation policy on arriving back home, and changes some testing requirements.  It is still impossible to travel to China, and those leaving are not going to have a cheap, or easy time once they return.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, RC Dancers said:

Wait!  Wonder of the Seas is sailing out of Port Canaveral.  How and why on earth would what happens in China 2 days affect the crowds on the ship which has been booked for months?

If you have cruised before, you know full well to avoid the Windjammer like the plague on embarkation day.  And there have been posts on other ships about locating your table if fixed dining.  MTD is going to be a long wait first night at peak times.  Seasoned cruisers know this.  Plus it's not like you HAVR to be somewhere else, you're on vacation.  Chill.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RC Dancers said:

I think either your expectations are too high or you have never sailed on a new ship that has just starting cruising from the states. There is not one thing in your comment that surprises me. I am not saying your comments aren’t valid from your perspective, but in the future I would suggest not booking a new cruise ship until it has been cruising in the states for at least six months. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We also boarded the Wonder on Sunday and are completely in love with her.  We are not in suites and I haven't paid any attention to the casitas but I did experience that first day and thought the crew did an amazing job.

Dinner was a bit chaotic as they had not had time to remake the table assignment /staff labels, we had a slight hiccup as our four family members were seated at 2 different 2 tops but the head waiter was right on top of things and it was quickly fixed.  I do think MTD is the most challenging, the crowds entering at 5:15 were backed up, usually the first day they have a soft opening 15 minutes early to ease this until everyone knows where their table is, but remember, they just came off a full inspection coming into a US port for the first time and had less time to be ready for incoming passengers than they will going forward,  I felt everyone was going above and beyond to try and make it a fantastic first day.  

We ate at El Loco Fresh today for lunch and there seemed to be plenty of tables, plenty of chairs around the pool, I passed through Windjammer at 1:30 and there was zero wait, they have way more wash sinks so that goes so much faster.  Fantastic layout so lots of seating and food islands.  The lines for the flow rider were the shortest we have encountered on an Oasis class ship, our room steward is a jewel and guest services does get a little backed up but there were a guests who apparently arrived at the terminal, saw the porters loading the carts and dropped their luggage before anyone noticed they weren't tagged.  Plus they too were a bit behind trying to get luggage for just shy of 6,000 passengers to the right place.  Even with the delays of passing the inspectors coming into the U.S., they still had the rooms ready by 2pm and we had our luggage by 3:30.

We are having fantastic weather, there are some really gorgeous spots on board for photos and some very, very busy cruise photographers.  New backdrops and talented photographers.  We have the top Cruise Director in the fleet onboard (we met him on the Ovation in Alaska over the summer) and he has taken the challenge of this huge ship flawlessly.  I do wish I had brought a few magnetic hooks, the only thing I miss is maybe 2 or 3 hooks in the cabin for hanging a hat or a place to lay your clothes while you are in the shower.  Water pressure is phenomenal, all the venues have been gorgeous, I have not felt crowded except for that few minutes of pile up trying to get into 1st dining, but again, they lost quite a bit of time with that inspection and rose to the occasional with everything they had.  Really appreciative to be onboard.  I wouldn't hesitate to book on her again!!!!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RC Dancers said:

How was the food?

3 hours ago, RC Dancers said:

That would never stop me.  Sis, Boom and Bah Humbug

Edited by BecciBoo

Everyone is going to have their own take on how their cruise fulfilled their expectations, to give a broader perspective than just my experience.... I can say that the 2 comedians and the cruise director received massive appreciation from the audience on night 1 and we just saw the new ice show tonight.... a massive standing ovation with applause that went on and on.... just electrifying, if you've seen an ice show on other Oasis class- be prepared to be blown away again at the technology and skill that went into this show.  We can't all be wrong, but I don't want to give it away... just bring your smiles and luggage.... I will try to check on the Escape room, the laser tag is running, its hard to fit everything in.  They did open 1st dining 15 minutes earlier tonight, food was very good in the main dining room and Windjammer.  I appreciate how hard they are working, and there are not all that many new cruisers onboard, we've met quite a few who were on for the last 2 weeks and are still on this one :0)  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think either your expectations are too high or you have never sailed on a new ship that has just starting cruising from the states. 

Well, we have been on all of the Oasis class ships and previously I had marveled that the only time the ships felt crowded was trying to get an elevator after the shows finished.

Thank you for letting me know that this is normal for inaugural season cruises from the states. I will avoid in the future. We had done inaugural season cruises in the Mediterranean and they did not seem to be this crowded.

7 hours ago, T-2 said:

We have the top Cruise Director in the fleet onboard (we met him on the Ovation in Alaska over the summer) and he has taken the challenge of this huge ship flawlessly. 

I LOVE MIKE S.!!!!!!!

Do you have Simeon in the Comedy Club?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

The MTD lines on EVERY Oasis class ships are long and wrap around the elevators.  This is the reason many of us have gone back to fixed traditional dining….

Never go to the Windjammer during peak times as it is always crowded on every Oasis class ship!  Every sailing we have been on we have heard them making announcements “if you have finished your meal please exit so someone can have your seat”.

I am sure the whole ship is full and busy but it sounds like it was pre-covid to me….

Was on Allure recently and had MTD Never had more than a 5-10 minute wait including the first night.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I LOVE MIKE S.!!!!!!!

Do you have Simeon in the Comedy Club?

Remember him from the Serenade where he came to the M&M to see what a bunch of crazy people boarded his ship. And he didn´t ask where the vodka for the yell-o shots came from ;-).

Simeon is also great! Met him several times onboard Oasis class ships.

steamboats

• Haha 1