The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday November 21st, 2022

richwmn

29 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, I’m seeing reports on social media that the Eurodam has been involved in a rescue at sea.  Reportedly that the coast guard requested the ship stay put until they could arrive.  They suggested that they are Cuban migrants. I haven’t found a news article to back it up.  Although the poster is sharing pictures.

Prayers for the refugees, they'll probably be sent back to Cuba.

A big thank you to the Eurodam.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

By the way, has anyone ever seen an order of wine by the glass brought to the table in one of those peanut carafes they give you at the bar?

Last week,  all of our wine in the MDR, Pinnacle and Canaletto were served in those same carafes.

Thanks to all who posted photos of today’s destination.  Like Jacqui @kazu, it seems like it has gotten too cold, too quickly.  The port pictures and the photos of 6 feet of snow in Buffalo made me realize a sunny 42 degrees day in Maryland really isn’t that cold.

313F0A5F-2301-41DA-B230-7D7286F403E7.jpeg.36e0b8ff36fe3d174662411074f85536.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

@Quartzsite Cruiser and @Cruising-along it makes sense that messy painters would also be messy bakers.  I used to bake for Christmas but haven't done any in recent years.  My mom always talked about the cookies her grandmother made, so I tried to make some of the same.  She didn't have the recipes, so I did my best.  She loved springerle, so I made those.  I also made a German spice cookie.  Each year I tried another butter cookie recipe, but none were as good as her memory of Nanny Huener's.  Maybe since I don't have to drive anywhere over the holidays, I'll toss some flower on the kitchen floor and make some cookies.  Hopefully, @marshhawk will come through and provide us with the cardboardeaux so needed to have the baking turn out as well as the painting.  

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, dfish said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser and @Cruising-along it makes sense that messy painters would also be messy bakers.  I used to bake for Christmas but haven't done any in recent years.  My mom always talked about the cookies her grandmother made, so I tried to make some of the same.  She didn't have the recipes, so I did my best.  She loved springerle, so I made those.  I also made a German spice cookie.  Each year I tried another butter cookie recipe, but none were as good as her memory of Nanny Huener's.  Maybe since I don't have to drive anywhere over the holidays, I'll toss some flower on the kitchen floor and make some cookies.  Hopefully, @marshhawk will come through and provide us with the cardboardeaux so needed to have the baking turn out as well as the painting.  

At least, I have cardbordeaux in the refrigerator and flour in the pantry. 🤣

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Auto train is a mess today, apparent CSX foulup.  Way late with cars backed up the street waiting.

Roy

Roy, I just saw the rail workers rejected the tentative deal and a major strike is looming.  I hope you make it home before that happens.  That may explain what is happening with the autotrain.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot gets better soon.  Are you going to see a doctor there about the injury?

I am being bugged to do that.  How many doctors do I need to see - LOL?  One in Barcelona, one on the ship - but who knows - maybe mine can suggest something to support it so I can move easier.  It was badly twisted and torn and based on what I learned from Jose, I suspect the Achilles’ tendon was hurt.

Soft tissue injuries take time even though I am usually a very good healer.  

So yes, I will call her - she wasn’t in today and see if she wants to take a look.

• Like 18

Good afternoon!   We started early to beat the rush.  We had the can return room to ourselves and were able to get $32 for our cans that were taking over the garage.   John shopped while I turned the can receipts into $5 bill for tips for our cruise.  We will need a lot more than that, I used to buy scratcher lottery tickets and I like the tips Idea better.  Then I picked up a prescription and then took a side road down to dear brother's rehab.  The side roads are covered with very thick packed snow and ice.  They were slippery and very bumpy.  Thankfully we took the highway home.

I had a nice visit with my DB while DF went to Costco a choice he regretted.   I am glad he went though because he picked up a case of Kirkland Malbec for $7 a bottle.  It passed the taste test and the migraine test.   He said they were almost out so everyone loves a good tasting bargain.  DB was sitting in his wheel chair when I got there which is a real positive sign.   Both of his legs are really swollen.   We visited for a while and then a new nurse came in and said she is concerned about his BP and his heart rate.  BP low HR high.  She also was worried about the swelling around his pic line.   I asked her if she was there before and she said no she was just there for a meeting today.  I told her it looked like that the last time I saw him on Wednesday.   Due to those issues he has to take a ride to the hospital on the far side of town to have his pic line put in his right arm and to decide what to do about his blood pressure and HR issues.  Then they tried to check his temperature and 2 different thermometers showed his temperature at 94.   They said they were defective????   Meanwhile he was moved back to bed to get his IV and then he started shivering.   I called his wife and said come down so she can ride along to hospital.  After the nurses left my brother said "I could die from this".   I agreed and said he could have an amputation if the infection can't clear.   He said his surgeon mentioned that but said he is healing well when he had his staples removed.  Looks good on the outside but maybe not deep down in the bone where he has his infection.   So frustrating and I am sure he is getting to the end of his rope.  Thankfully he has a couple of aides who are gems.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn while having no power.  So glad it is back on.  I love to make Gingerbread cookies for Christmas but we are not decorating or baking for Christmas.  Ginger cookies make the house smell like Christmas.   So does butternut squash they way I bake it with butter and a dusting of cinnamon and Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.  TV is important here.  Will be running the TV late tonight with MNF from Mexico.   Ravens won, Vikings were thumped by the Cowboys.   I will pass on the curry dish but the cocktail and the vino look great.  The port in Norway looks like a very interesting place to visit.   Thanks Lenda for your photos and for sharing Sandi's.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  A beautiful sunrise today. 

thumbnail?appid=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

sunrise 112122.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 18

Good afternoon everyone. Up all night with a tooth ache and so tired I couldn’t drive to  the dentist so tomorrow it is.

it’s too cold for me already. I belong in Florida but sadly that isn’t happening.

My grandson,  Matthew,  has covid so our Thanksgiving plans are up in the air until we see who else gets it.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

@dfishI will bring the cardboardeaux, but I want to bring my favorite wine, It's an Ariel, any red will do, it's an NA wine.  Non alcoholic, great flavor but because it has no alcohol, they cant ship it east during the cold months, as the bottle will freeze.  When I first started buying from them I would get a case at 12 bucks a bottle.  Now it's like 33 a bottle.  They won awards, they got famous, and now they are too expensive. As far as I know, there is no NA cardboardeaux.  I guess in this case, it would just be an empty brown paper bag.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfishI will bring the cardboardeaux, but I want to bring my favorite wine, It's an Ariel, any red will do, it's an NA wine.  Non alcoholic, great flavor but because it has no alcohol, they cant ship it east during the cold months, as the bottle will freeze.  When I first started buying from them I would get a case at 12 bucks a bottle.  Now it's like 33 a bottle.  They won awards, they got famous, and now they are too expensive. As far as I know, there is no NA cardboardeaux.  I guess in this case, it would just be an empty brown paper bag.

I am familiar with Ariel.  My parents used to get Ariel for special occasions.   I use it to make hot spiced wine for the holidays.  Just one request:   bring a white as well for Carolyn @Cruising-along and me.  Ladies, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruising-along @superoma @ger_77 and any other member of messy painters guild, I think we should have a virtual baking get together, complete with cardboardeaux.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I am familiar with Ariel.  My parents used to get Ariel for special occasions.   I use it to make hot spiced wine for the holidays.  Just one request:   bring a white as well for Carolyn @Cruising-along and me.  Ladies, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruising-along @superoma @ger_77 and any other member of messy painters guild, I think we should have a virtual baking get together, complete with cardboardeaux.

Debbie I'm seriously thinking of doing some painting after the holidays.....I may need my head examined. But I kept putting it off (first because the grandsons were still toddlers and may just mark up the walls, then because the carpet was new and, well, I'm messy) 😉  But it's time....wish me luck.  January will be a good time, no traveling until May!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon!   We started early to beat the rush.  We had the can return room to ourselves and were able to get $32 for our cans that were taking over the garage.   John shopped while I turned the can receipts into $5 bill for tips for our cruise.  We will need a lot more than that, I used to buy scratcher lottery tickets and I like the tips Idea better.  Then I picked up a prescription and then took a side road down to dear brother's rehab.  The side roads are covered with very thick packed snow and ice.  They were slippery and very bumpy.  Thankfully we took the highway home.

I had a nice visit with my DB while DF went to Costco a choice he regretted.   I am glad he went though because he picked up a case of Kirkland Malbec for $7 a bottle.  It passed the taste test and the migraine test.   He said they were almost out so everyone loves a good tasting bargain.  DB was sitting in his wheel chair when I got there which is a real positive sign.   Both of his legs are really swollen.   We visited for a while and then a new nurse came in and said she is concerned about his BP and his heart rate.  BP low HR high.  She also was worried about the swelling around his pic line.   I asked her if she was there before and she said no she was just there for a meeting today.  I told her it looked like that the last time I saw him on Wednesday.   Due to those issues he has to take a ride to the hospital on the far side of town to have his pic line put in his right arm and to decide what to do about his blood pressure and HR issues.  Then they tried to check his temperature and 2 different thermometers showed his temperature at 94.   They said they were defective????   Meanwhile he was moved back to bed to get his IV and then he started shivering.   I called his wife and said come down so she can ride along to hospital.  After the nurses left my brother said "I could die from this".   I agreed and said he could have an amputation if the infection can't clear.   He said his surgeon mentioned that but said he is healing well when he had his staples removed.  Looks good on the outside but maybe not deep down in the bone where he has his infection.   So frustrating and I am sure he is getting to the end of his rope.  Thankfully he has a couple of aides who are gems.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn while having no power.  So glad it is back on.  I love to make Gingerbread cookies for Christmas but we are not decorating or baking for Christmas.  Ginger cookies make the house smell like Christmas.   So does butternut squash they way I bake it with butter and a dusting of cinnamon and Penzey's Northwoods seasoning.  TV is important here.  Will be running the TV late tonight with MNF from Mexico.   Ravens won, Vikings were thumped by the Cowboys.   I will pass on the curry dish but the cocktail and the vino look great.  The port in Norway looks like a very interesting place to visit.   Thanks Lenda for your photos and for sharing Sandi's.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  A beautiful sunrise today. 

thumbnail?appid=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

sunrise 112122.jpg

Nancy, I'm sorry things are not going any better with your DB.  I hope they can get the infection under contol and cleared up.  I agree it is a good sign he was sitting in his wheelchair.  I can sympathize with his BP and heart rate issues. Wishing him all the best.

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. Up all night with a tooth ache and so tired I couldn’t drive to  the dentist so tomorrow it is.

it’s too cold for me already. I belong in Florida but sadly that isn’t happening.

My grandson,  Matthew,  has covid so our Thanksgiving plans are up in the air until we see who else gets it.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, I hope the dentist can take care of your toothache easily.  I'm  sorry your grandson has covid, and I hope noone else gets it.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I'll that drink to that idea.  However, and this is probably heresy,  but I skipped the wine tonight.  Since I had bacon and eggs, wine just didn't appeal to me.  Now, if I could have made mimosas that wouldmbe different.  As it was, I had a virgin mimosa.  😩

28 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie I'm seriously thinking of doing some painting after the holidays.....I may need my head examined. But I kept putting it off (first because the grandsons were still toddlers and may just mark up the walls, then because the carpet was new and, well, I'm messy) 😉  But it's time....wish me luck.  January will be a good time, no traveling until May!

Carolyn, I'll wish you luck, amd raise a glass of wine in moral support while you paint.   🍷

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I want to paint my bedroom so I can fix all the nail holes that now stand out.  And, I don't like the color.  And what else do you do in the winter?

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'll that drink to that idea.  However, and this is probably heresy,  but I skipped the wine tonight.  Since I had bacon and eggs, wine just didn't appeal to me.  Now, if I could have made mimosas that would be different.  As it was, I had a virgin mimosa.  😩

Carolyn, I'll wish you luck, amd raise a glass of wine in moral support while you paint.   🍷

Lenda

Hey, you're allowed to cheat now and then.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dfish said:

That would be a hoot! 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, dfish said:

and any other member of messy painters guild, I think we should have a virtual baking get together, complete with cardboardeaux.

After last week, I'm in no hurry to do any more baking, but I would never turn down cardboardeaux.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile, I've been waiting for a small package that was shipped from California by UPS Air. The UPS hub for air parcels is Louisville, and it traveled happily from Oakland to Louisville. From there it went by air to Philadelphia, which is not a normal routing for air parcels to this area (it is for those coming from the west coast by train), from which it was promptly put back on the plane and returned to Louisville.

From there it went by plane to Buffalo, where it remains. Apparently they got it to the Buffalo airport but can't get trucks out of the airport. It would have been more efficient, once it was in Philadelphia, to send it by truck to Syracuse, which wasn't snowed in, and then to here, but the shipper paid for air....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1