The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday November 25th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Black Friday, Maize Day, and National Parfait Day

Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.--Zelda Fitzgerald

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Branzino With Cilantro-Mint Relish
Drink of the Day - Laphroaig Blood Mary Queen Scots
Wine of the Day - Laboure Roi Bourgogne Pinot Noir, France
Destination of the Day - Vigo, Spain

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Willemstad, Curacao eta 11/26

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 11/26

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 11/27

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:59

Volendam

Devils Island, French Guiana 12:00n 6:00pm

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Luderitz, Namibia eta 11/26

Zuiderdam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 08:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Broome WA, Kimberley, Western Australia eta 11/27

Westerdam

Port Arthur,Tasmania, Australia Arrive 9:00 PM

1125World.thumb.png.08669e4397b696846328bbe33a8c4255.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Black Friday report, Rich.  I like all 3 of today's days although I have no real shopping goals.  I love the Fitzgerald quote and have been to Vigo just once, way back in 1996 on the Crystal Symphony.  I'll pass on the meal since I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is my final served meal from my recent trip, Rigatoni Bolognese and Ultimate Mayer Lemon Cake as served on Amtrak's Auto Train returning from the Eurodam on November 21.

dishes21.jpg

Today’s care list:

Jazzyv canceling cruise due to friend’s hospitalization
Safe travels for those returning home
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab with poor prognosis
Bennybear skin biopsy results
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief in California
Kazu’s luggage returned
7 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
3 days for SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess 11/28 to 12/12)
1 day for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam  to 11/26), Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam  to 11/30),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/1223) at sea

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

Another nice day coming up with sunny skies and a high of 85.

We stay away from the stores on Black Friday.

I like the quote.

I'm going on a mini diet today, actually with a cruise coming up in 9 days I'll try to lose a couple of pounds by sail date. The good news is we usually only gain a pound or 2 at the most when we cruise.

Some good football and soccer games yesterday. USA needs no worse than a tie against favorite England today.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Friday!

I don't have any shopping to do today and a parfait sounds great.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I don't like cilantro (yeah, I could substitute parsley, but ...)

Not sure about the drink but hope the wine is good.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Hockey great Borje Salming passed away from ALS yesterday.  RIP

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Friday!

I don't have any shopping to do today and a parfait sounds great.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I don't like cilantro (yeah, I could substitute parsley, but ...)

Not sure about the drink but hope the wine is good.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Hockey great Borje Salming passed away from ALS yesterday.  RIP

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

Didn't hear about Salming's passing, couldn't have been that old.

• Like 10

Good morning!  Thanks for daily report!

Today I will walk to Tai Chi, then later have a pedicure and maybe shop!

I won’t have to cook since we have lots of leftovers- I should have taken photos but was too busy.  

I don’t understand soccer.  It seems when it is over they have more time?  I hope U.S. at least ties!

• Like 19

Good afternoon.

Lovely sunny day today.

Thank you for today's fleet reports Rich and Roy for today's lists.

Everywhere does black Friday sales now.

Good quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is well and having a great day.

We have been to Vigo Spain any times on cruises.

These photos were on March 8th 2022 when we were on P&O Iona.

Graham 

IMG_20220308_105731.jpg

IMG_20220308_080000.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Good morning!  Thanks for daily report!

Today I will walk to Tai Chi, then later have a pedicure and maybe shop!

I won’t have to cook since we have lots of leftovers- I should have taken photos but was too busy.  

I don’t understand soccer.  It seems when it is over they have more time?  I hope U.S. at least ties!

In Soccer the clock never stops so with all kinds of delays during the game the officials add on time at the end of the half and then again at the end of the game to make up for the delays. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich

Nice collection of days.  Guess I partook in Black Friday early when I booked a cruise 😉. Love today’s quote - so true.

Yum on Grilled Branzino and Vigo is a fantastic port.  If you see it on an itinerary, go for it.  The town itself has a beautiful old section and it’s not far from fantastic Santiago de Compostela 👍 

I’m not American but yesterday I was giving thanks for our wonderful CC member Rich @richwmn.  When he heard about my laptop problems, he contacted me and turns out he has tons of HP stuff.  After sending him pics and the model, yesterday a new charger arrived for me from him.  Seemed to work but when I unplugged it didn’t - then the light came on in the brain - leave it alone it’s been without power for a long time.  The light has turned red so I think it is going to work. 🤞 Thank you Rich - you have saved my bacon ♥️  (Hope I am not in trouble for posting this 🤞)

5AEFB50A-E037-4B6E-A627-06C79B192741.thumb.jpeg.6cb7ec9aacecdafa32af9f86c1fcff06.jpeg

copying @rafinmda bit - here is a sunrise from the Oosterdam - 

95D4EF31-D8BB-4FA5-8FBA-65858E300BA7.jpeg.aaeea63b249b4a6592d9da73a0204dbf.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out/Celebratory list.

65C3180D-773C-4E8D-AE76-D7BFA3325D9D.jpeg.697c62ecc8cb2226fe36a3f20ab8eda8.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 37

Good morning  everyone. I realized while doing the dishes yesterday that I should have taken pictures.We had a very nice dinner for 10 and  had a lot of laughs and a few sentimental  tears(mine).

I don't  enjoy shopping with crowds so will forego shopping.I like the quote  and salute the other days.

Spinach Lasagna

preheat oven to 400

12 to 14 dried or fresh lasagna noodles

4 cups good tomato sauce

3 cups cooked spinach squeezed dry and chopped,about 1.5 lbs fresh

1 and a half cups ricotta

1 and a half cup mozzarella 

2 cups grated parmesan 

salt and pepper

Parboil noodles.Layer a rectangular  baking dish with sauce,noodles,a little more sauce and one third of the spinach followed by  one fourth of  the ricotta and the other cheeses.Repeat layers twice...Cheese should be on the top.

Bake 35 minutes,let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving. 

Enjoy the day and be careful out there.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Didn't hear about Salming's passing, couldn't have been that old.

As mentioned by @4966and556, Mr Salming was only 71.  He was in Toronto about 2 weeks ago to be honoured by the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team he played for for 16 years.

He couldn't speak, but the cheers from the crowd brought tears to his eyes.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Black Friday report, Rich.  I like all 3 of today's days although I have no real shopping goals.  I love the Fitzgerald quote and have been to Vigo just once, way back in 1996 on the Crystal Symphony.  I'll pass on the meal since I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is my final served meal from my recent trip, Rigatoni Bolognese and Ultimate Mayer Lemon Cake as served on Amtrak's Auto Train returning from the Eurodam on November 21.

dishes21.jpg

Today’s care list:

Jazzyv canceling cruise due to friend’s hospitalization
Safe travels for those returning home
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab with poor prognosis
Bennybear skin biopsy results
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief in California
Kazu’s luggage returned
7 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
3 days for SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess 11/28 to 12/12)
1 day for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam  to 11/26), Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam  to 11/30),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/1223) at sea

Roy

thanks for the listsRoy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   I won't be partaking in Black Friday madness, although I need to get a few groceries for the weekend, I'm pretty sure there won't be crowds there.  I'm not sure I've ever had maize, but I'd love to have a parfait; that's something I haven't made in ages.

I think one of the days today should certainly be Sandwich Day, with all the leftovers that folks have from their Thanksgiving turkeys, chickens and hams.  I always like making a turkey because it provides an abundance of leftovers that means no cooking for a few days.  Today I'll be making a gigantic batch of porcupine balls - a family favourite - so there will be enough for our dinner tomorrow night and lots that can be sent home with the family when they return to Calgary.  

@JazzyVI'm so sorry to hear you had to cancel your cruise - I hope your BFF's DF will return to better health.

@kazu yay that your luggage found it's way home; I hope everything was intact!

I like today's menu suggestion, as it's a nice fish, but it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so we'll peruse the menus to see what appeals to us so we can enjoy pizza at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all who have celebrations going on in their lives.  Stay safe, be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening from the Noordam

Just returned from the show ( which was excellent) and time to call it a day. It is Friday night 10pm. 
There were Black Friday sales in the shops today. Nothing too exciting.  Yesterday there were signs all over Darwin about Black Friday sales. I was surprised, thought it was an American thing. I asked one of the shopgirls and she said it goes on the end of November into first week of December. She said this  had only been going on the last 2 years. Trying to rebuild the economy. 

stay safe and enjoy today

charlene

• Like 19

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Currently it’s raining but one forecast suggests it might end by noon.  We’ll be heading to the grandkids this morning.  Along the way we’ll make at least two stops to pick up some things, Kitchen Kettle and Bird in Hand Farmers Market.  Not sure what will be for dinner but I’m assuming we’ll be taking everyone out for dinner.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 20

Good Friday morning!  No Black Friday shopping for me.  Like Jacqui we did ours early booking a couple cruises for 2024.  Today I am meeting several members of our garden club to go cut pine branches by the truckload and then haul them to our Council House.  They will be used for the swags and fresh green arrangements for our annual Greens Sale a week from today.  Thankfully  we had a thaw the last several days so we hopefully won't be trudging through knee deep snow.     I was going to prune a lot off my Mugo pines and carpet junipers but most are still buried.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   I love the quote by Fitzgerald.    Today's fish is an absolute no.   I will have my Laphroiag neat but the Pinot will probably be very tasty.   Thanks @grapau27for photos of today's port.  Thanks for our cares and celebrations list.   Very happy so see many in our group at sea or soon to be.    We have 31 days until we board the Volendam for our New Year's cruise B2B.   Prayers for all on our care list.  The poor people of Ukraine are all mainly in the dark due to Russian rockets disabling their electrical grid.   President of the EU calls for Russia to be designated as a State Sponsor of Terror due to their crimes against humanity.  Prayers for them and for this war to end. 

@ger_77 Would you share your recipe for the porcupine meatballs?  My mom made them once or twice when I was a kid and would like to have them.   

Have a nice day!  Nancy 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all!  

I slept so well last night.  Must have been from all the work of yesterday, but it was happy work.  Thank you to all who shared Thanksgiving traditions and recipes.  We won't be joining in the Black Friday madness.  Today is decorate the house for Christmas day.  We have the pencil tree in the living room done.  Now on to the big tree by the sliding doors in the dining room.

Today's meal sounds like something I would really like.  Adjust the recipe to your liking.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-branzino-with-cilantro-mint-relish-51179220

1370833345_branzino1.jpg.9e0d55a6bcae29f5ec6b497a433fa8d1.jpg

I only found one version of the cilantro mint recipe, but there are some nice recipes that are close.  This one sounds really good.  https://somethingnewfordinner.com/recipe/grilled-branzino-fish-with-lime-and-herbs/

1532388180_branzino2.thumb.jpg.c1a7c98486a1cc61c80e5d6f3d6ff534.jpg

Or there is this one with a Mediterranean flair.  https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/mediterranean-grilled-branzino-recipe/

1553343670_branzino3.thumb.jpg.7f0c9674d686550f8a624129f9076e3e.jpg

As for me, I'm having leftover stuffing for breakfast.  We'll see how the day goes.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

@ger_77  Is it legal to eat porcupine balls?

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  The fridge is full of left overs, so I know what I will be eating for another 3 days.  I do see chicken salad sandwiches in my future.  But the spinach dishes do look delicious.

My cruise friends are showing some interest in my Greece cruise next year.  I guess he figures that his wife's dementia will still be under control?  I know that he does all the cooking now, and cleaning, and he is still working full time.  Three days at week at home, and two days in the office, when his daughter in law comes in and stays with his wife.  It would be nice to cruise with them again.

I love the quote.  It is beautiful.

I think I can do a nap this morning.  That would be nice, it's gray and cloudy and there was rain last night. Perfect for sleeping.

Bubbles-the stray, is injured, but he managed to get on the porch last night and slept through the night.  Feral Fawn slept next to him, but we put a cat bed out for him (as she had a pillow and blanket)  and being the true CAT that she is, she immediately dumped the bed, and started sleeping in the new cat bed.  He was afraid of blanket and pillow, so we I took it off the love seat, and left just blanket, and that's where he was this morning.  I will go out later and see if there is enough trust for him to let me look at his back leg.  Right now we are up to just petting, and that is only when Fawn is there.

237269-Smile-Its-Finally-Friday.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Haha 1