Broken wine bottle

N2DFIRE

Do you know whose bottles they were?  I might politely ask GS if they could help with some complementary laundry services.

FWIW another reason I always have my clothes wrapped in plastic bags.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, N2DFIRE said:

What would you do if someone’s else wine bottle broke and soaked two of your suitcases on embarkment day.  

Be pissed as the wine should be packed in a carry-on not in checked luggage. Depending on the wine, red or white we would pick out what clothes needed to be sent out to be washed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Large Plastic zip lock bags for all packed clothing (and for that matter I would put one on each bottle of wine if I checked my wine)...

Weird delays can occur and it might be your bags sitting in rain for hours, etc. 

A good practice to get into when packing 🙂

• Like 4

I’d be glad I pack a few items in my carry on bag; those dry items will help me get through this problem (as they would a delayed or lost or stolen bag).  I’d take photos of the bags and damaged items.  I’d send spouse (with photos) to Guest Service (or concierge if available).  I’d probably rinse any effected washable items in my cabin sink or shower to try to minimize staining & leave it all hanging.  I’d hope spouse would come back with offer of laundry services.

38 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Graciously accept their apologies and appreciate that these things happen.

Royal requests wine be brought onboard in your carryon so those things don't happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Stupid selfish rude careless self-centered lazy thing to do to others. Carry it on or do without!!!

The culprit in this case is probably not someone who reads CC so your post most likely will "fall of deaf ears". But for your next cruise you might want to take a megaphone with you into the cruise terminal , or better yet, outside the cruise terminal, and loudly address the assemble masses. 📣

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, N2DFIRE said:

What would you do if someone’s else wine bottle broke and soaked two of your suitcases on embarkment day.  

I guess I would call or go to guest services and see if they could comp me free laundry services. If not, I'd send the affected clothes to get laundered ASAP and pay for it myself.

Of course, not before wringing out some wine to see if it was any good. Hey, red wine pairs with lamb really well, why not with wool? 🤔 As they say, if life hands you wine soaked luggage make Sangria! 🍷

Cheers!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing we do  might help in your situation.We started cruising in 1991 and I guess we have seen most of the bad happening. We always carry a carry on like most  with med, computers ,jewelry  a couple changes of basic  underclothes /pullovers. We cross pack in our two checked bags putting half of mine and my wife's  in each. Gives you better odds of  loss/damage   on both bags. It would not be pretty if each had there own and mine arrived and my Bride's was lost.    Bob & Nancy

People keep mentioning that the cruise ship should pay to wash this person's clothes. What about the suitcase? If it got wet enough to soak their clothes, the chances of the suitcase being dry by the time they need to pack up and go home is probably low (it's so humid in the Caribbean, nothing dries all the way). Even once dry, the suitcase is ruined. How do you clean up a cloth suitcase?

I've heard of people whose suitcases got broken and were given a new suitcase from a stash that Royal has on-hand. Hopefully for this person, whatever free suitcase Royal has available to give them would be hard-sided. I've never had anything inside my hard-sided suitcases get wet, even when sitting on the tarmac in rain and snow. Even better is my aluminum suitcase. It's got a rubber gasket seal, so nothing inside gets wet, and nothing inside ever breaks. It's a beast of a suitcase. 

As for the wine, I've mentioned this before, but whenever I travel with wine, I bring my wine suitcase. I've flown with it so many times on long international flights with layovers and plane changes, my wine has never broken. For anyone who drinks expensive wine, or who travels places where you want t bring your own, or where you want to bring some home, it's worth the investment. If you go to a resort that charges $14/glass of wine, you can save $350 by bringing 5 of your own bottles, which pays for the cost of the suitcase on trip #1. 

https://flywithwine.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnNacBhDvARIsABnDa68XAniELHaMiJN6m3_DpSnOy_-Fkt7c6nz_owj789jY0WODXKDO-GIaApRtEALw_wcB