Weird ? About Trash in Rooms

I understand and sympathize that room stewards have to sift through our room trash to sort it for recycling, etc.  We try to be courteous by using sanitation bags for baby wipes, dental floss, etc.  Last cruise we had to keep asking for more sanitary bags, which was a little weird.  Any tips on how to make trash more bearable for these poor folks to sort through?

16 minutes ago, heatherandnick said:

I understand and sympathize that room stewards have to sift through our room trash to sort it for recycling, etc.  We try to be courteous by using sanitation bags for baby wipes, dental floss, etc.  Last cruise we had to keep asking for more sanitary bags, which was a little weird.  Any tips on how to make trash more bearable for these poor folks to sort through?

Put that stuff in the trash can in the bathroom that has the plastic bag in it.  They take the plastic bag and all when they empty that trash.  We put cans and bottles in one trash can near the vanity table, so no sorting needed.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, heatherandnick said:

Just got off Disney cruise, trash cans in cabins have split compartments for recycling. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Put that stuff in the trash can in the bathroom that has the plastic bag in it.  They take the plastic bag and all when they empty that trash.  We put cans and bottles in one trash can near the vanity table, so no sorting needed.

Exactly, on Wonder and Navigator in the last four months both had a metal swing top trash can next to the toilet that was for "nasty wet" trash.  The cabin had a waste basket for other dry stuff.  I usually leave the recyclable bottles and cans sitting on the desk and they just disappear.  It's nice you are concerned about the staff sorting through trash.  

49 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I've never had a stateroom attendant NOT restock the "icky" bags without being asked.

I think what they are saying is they are using a lot for the trash separating and had to ask for more than the "normal" supply might be.  

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think what they are saying is they are using a lot for the trash separating and had to ask for more than the "normal" supply might be.  

I understand that, but I've never had a stateroom attendant not replace the bags every single day if they are being used.  

Typically there is a little stack of them in the bathroom, like 6-8 baggies, and if some of them are used in the trash, the stateroom attendant replenished the stack in the bathroom so that there is always a handful available. 

Unless there are four people in the room and they are each using an individual baggie for their dental floss (instead of putting the whole family's floss into one bag... although it wouldn't occur to me to treat dental floss as a super-gross item needing a special baggie in the first place -- the attendants DO wear gloves to protect them from bodily fluids and change them between rooms, so floss shouldn't be such a huge deal) and they are each using hygiene products and wipes every single time they use the toilet, the stack of them that is replenished twice per day would seem like enough of a supply.  

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I understand that, but I've never had a stateroom attendant not replace the bags every single day if they are being used.  

Typically there is a little stack of them in the bathroom, like 6-8 baggies, and if some of them are used in the trash, the stateroom attendant replenished the stack in the bathroom so that there is always a handful available. 

Unless there are four people in the room and they are each using an individual baggie for their dental floss (instead of putting the whole family's floss into one bag... although it wouldn't occur to me to treat dental floss as a super-gross item needing a special baggie in the first place -- the attendants DO wear gloves to protect them from bodily fluids and change them between rooms, so floss shouldn't be such a huge deal) and they are each using hygiene products and wipes every single time they use the toilet, the stack of them that is replenished twice per day would seem like enough of a supply.  

Dunno. Never counted them.   Just going by the OP's comment.    It is actually more discussion than I ever thought would have about those particular things.  😄

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We also sort our trash out this way too. 😄

10 hours ago, heatherandnick said:

Just know that those sanitary bags, and any other biohazard bags (red bags) you fill up in your cabin get sorted from the rest of the trash, and when down at the "garbage center" will get placed in large red bags to be fed by hand into the incinerators, rather than being shredded and allowed to sit in the incinerator feed silo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just know that those sanitary bags, and any other biohazard bags (red bags) you fill up in your cabin get sorted from the rest of the trash, and when down at the "garbage center" will get placed in large red bags to be fed by hand into the incinerators, rather than being shredded and allowed to sit in the incinerator feed silo.

So using doggie bags for mildly "icky" stuff is OK?

Do recyclables get sorted out and recycled or does everything eventually go into the incinerator? 

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

So using doggie bags for mildly "icky" stuff is OK?

Do recyclables get sorted out and recycled or does everything eventually go into the incinerator? 

The poop bags would be fine.

EVERYTHING gets sorted.  The only thing that goes into the incinerator is cardboard and paper (along with biohazard and controlled substances).  We had sorting bins for batteries, disposable razors (handled as sharps), general plastics, metal, glass, biohazard, cloth, and a few more I'm forgetting.  From these bins, the "environmental operators" would further sort some things like metal and glass into sub-sets, and bundle things into larger piles for compacting, or putting things like batteries into recycling buckets and landing ashore.  Then you've got the trash that comes from the crew, like lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes (that have to be crushed in special containers to retain the mercury vapors), etc, etc.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

EVERYTHING gets sorted.  The only thing that goes into the incinerator is cardboard and paper (along with biohazard and controlled substances).  We had sorting bins for batteries, disposable razors (handled as sharps), general plastics, metal, glass, biohazard, cloth, and a few more I'm forgetting.  From these bins, the "environmental operators" would further sort some things like metal and glass into sub-sets, and bundle things into larger piles for compacting, or putting things like batteries into recycling buckets and landing ashore.  Then you've got the trash that comes from the crew, like lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes (that have to be crushed in special containers to retain the mercury vapors), etc, etc.

Thanks,

So does sorting the trash in our cabins help the process very much?

15 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Thanks,

So does sorting the trash in our cabins help the process very much?

Not that much.  Pretty much everything from cabins goes into a large bag on the steward's cart, and then this is hand sorted at the garbage room.  They may have two bags on the cart, and sort out some hard items like metal and glass, but that's about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Wow. So interesting! Thanks for sharing your expertise with us yet again.