EDEN Port - New South Wales

I would love to know why there is an accelerated number of cruise ships stopping at Eden? 

Eden is a well known village on the NSW South Coast for both New South Wales residents and Victorians.  In the past many cruise ships going south from Sydney would stop at Melbourne and now that seems that this city is often by-passed for Eden and I am scratching my head as to why?  It certainly is NOT for the various options for excursions.... is it for cheap port charges and or saving on fuel?

1 hour ago, highriding said:

I would love to know why there is an accelerated number of cruise ships stopping at Eden? 

Eden is a well known village on the NSW South Coast for both New South Wales residents and Victorians.  In the past many cruise ships going south from Sydney would stop at Melbourne and now that seems that this city is often by-passed for Eden and I am scratching my head as to why?  It certainly is NOT for the various options for excursions.... is it for cheap port charges and or saving on fuel?

I agree,a tiny little town is getting overwhelmed.

But Eden is going to be expanded to accommodate world’s largest cruise ships.

1 hour ago, highriding said:

Interesting question. In Feb I am doing a Sydney-Barrier Reef-Sydney cruise whose first port of call is Eden, ~500km in the wrong direction - but no visit to Brisbane (perhaps for capacity reasons?). 

20 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Went there twice in august  with coral.  Guessing it's cheap Port fees. No tendering. Free shuttle. Close enough to walk. 

Our cruises we Coral and Majestic. Coral  docked and Majestic tendered. 

But those of us who are cruising enthusiasts we don't need to keep going vack to Eden, especially if your cruise is to Queensland or New Zealand.

10 minutes ago, highriding said:

Our cruises we Coral and Majestic. Coral  docked and Majestic tendered. 

But those of us who are cruising enthusiasts we don't need to keep going vack to Eden, especially if your cruise is to Queensland or New Zealand.

No, don't need to go there. I don't  get to pick the itineraries. But at the time PNG was still unavailable  and the cruiselines were going wherever could accommodate them.

46 minutes ago, highriding said:

Totally agree. I was looking at a Princess cruise to Tasmania from Melbourne and instead of going straight to Tassie, it goes to Eden first, adding 2 days to the cruise. I find it totally unappealing to have to spend the extra money for the extra nights on board etc. Same, if I wanted to go to GBR from Sydney then I wouldn't want the expense of going to Eden first. The cruise lines must have enough passengers interested to run the itinerary in the first place.

Eden and the surrounding area is a lovely place to visit with great views as you sail into Twofold Bay. I've visited a number of times but I don't think its necessary to call in there unless I'm sailing north from Melbourne or south from Sydney.

I'm sailing from Sydney later this year and fortunately the short trip down to Eden preceding my cruise is being sold separately, as I'm going NE. 

Eden is lovely. Why are they stopping there now? 

- The facilities at the wharf are great, and being improved. The larger ships are unable to tie up until the wave attenuator wall has been completed. It made no sense to me, until I watched how much water was being trust across the bay via the thrusters on Coral Princess. Smaller boats in the marina are currently prone to damage from the waves of the larger thrusters/pods.

- It shortens the run between Hobart & Sydney. They can extra day, travel at slower speed & save fuel.

- Congestion in Sydney and Melbourne. Ports like Eden & Newcastle give them an extra day needed to arrive in Sydney when there is a terminal available.

- Used lots during the resumption to cruising, as a bit of extra variety to domestic cruising when all of the usual Pacific & NZ ports were closed.

- 3 and 4 night cruises to nowhere were getting a bit repetitive. A 3 or 4 night cruise to somewhere is much more interesting (Eden, Tangalooma etc).

I don't believe port berthing charges are any cheaper in Eden, but pilotage would certainly be cheaper than Melbourne. In the grand scheme of things though, these are not significant charges when levied across a few thousand passengers.

We enjoyed our day there in August, have another cruise there in November.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why the hate on Eden. It's a lovely place.

I prefer it to Airlie, which is the Noumea of Queensland, way over visited. Won't some ship on a Queensland cruise please go to Townsville or Gladstone just for the change of scenery?

As noted before, there aren't enough deep water ports in Australia. Which means lots of tendering. I've yet to meet anyone who enjoys tendering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Eden is lovely. Why are they stopping there now? 

- The facilities at the wharf are great, and being improved. The larger ships are unable to tie up until the wave attenuator wall has been completed. It made no sense to me, until I watched how much water was being trust across the bay via the thrusters on Coral Princess. Smaller boats in the marina are currently prone to damage from the waves of the larger thrusters/pods.

- It shortens the run between Hobart & Sydney. They can extra day, travel at slower speed & save fuel.

- Congestion in Sydney and Melbourne. Ports like Eden & Newcastle give them an extra day needed to arrive in Sydney when there is a terminal available.

- Used lots during the resumption to cruising, as a bit of extra variety to domestic cruising when all of the usual Pacific & NZ ports were closed.

- 3 and 4 night cruises to nowhere were getting a bit repetitive. A 3 or 4 night cruise to somewhere is much more interesting (Eden, Tangalooma etc).

I don't believe port berthing charges are any cheaper in Eden, but pilotage would certainly be cheaper than Melbourne. In the grand scheme of things though, these are not significant charges when levied across a few thousand passengers.

We enjoyed our day there in August, have another cruise there in November.

Agree with all this.

I liked eden.

I went to Newcastle 3 times during the 4 cruises and enjoyed it too.

There are plenty of day trips if you don't want to stay in the immediate area.

Go to Brisbane  and it's a long taxi or uber ride to the city. No shuttle  was laid on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't know why the hate on Eden. It's a lovely place.

I prefer it to Airlie, which is the Noumea of Queensland, way over visited. Won't some ship on a Queensland cruise please go to Townsville or Gladstone just for the change of scenery?

As noted before, there aren't enough deep water ports in Australia. Which means lots of tendering. I've yet to meet anyone who enjoys tendering.

Agree it would be nice to visit other ports in Queensland, such as Townsville (Magnetic Island) and Gladstone (Heron Island).

Airlie/Shute Harbour is just the hub to the Whitsunday Islands. 

However, you might like to visit Cape Gloucester, Hideaway Bay and Dingo Beach in the Whitsundays on your next visit to Airlie Beach.  Have fresh seafood lunch at Cape Gloucester resort, with sand between your toes, and beautiful water views of Cape Gloucester island.  This is our favourite place in the Whitsundays. We used to holiday at Airlie Beach and from there visited Bowen and Proserpine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, highriding said:

Cheap Port charges I would suggest. Same reason nearly all cruises stop in Noumea.👍

I imagine a boardroom meeting where they discuss itineraries.....

"Hey, guys, if have an idea. On the Sydney runs, let's stop in Eden".

"Where the f... is Eden"

"A bit south. No idea really, but yesterday I sneezed, and a booger landed on my map, right on that place"

"Aha. The guys from land excursions will blow their lid. Probably f. all to do there. Let's see if they can get somebody to do some pretend folk dancing. That works pretty much everywhere if you put feathers or buts of fruit on people. Or basket weaving or some such crap handicraft. "

5 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Let's see if they can get somebody to do some pretend folk dancing. That works pretty much everywhere if you put feathers or buts of fruit on people. Or basket weaving or some such crap handicraft. "

That would be funny if it wasn't so true. I've seen it happen.

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That would be funny if it wasn't so true. I've seen it happen.

Well, I believe you. I worked for an airline in a certain region and we were made to take a specific  destination in one of the --stan countries into the network on the express order of the chairman, because he had "friends" there...

Eden is a nice little town, not far from me, I go there every couple of months, Eden/Merimbula/Pambula.   Limited shorex opportunities there but.

It sure is getting a load of cruise ship visits.

eden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-0936-3.jpg.f0810c272b232c8f6715b0e7d3998dae.jpg

• Like 1