ODYSSEY vs HARMONY

bugtyler2

Looking to book a cruise on either the Odyssey or Harmony in February. Have been on the OASIS 3 times.  Very concerned about sea sickness due to width of Odyssey.  Anyone experience more than other ships? Anyone willing to share the big differences and what we might miss off the Harmony class or what we might gain on the Odyssey.   

All ships are subject motion depending on sea state and swell.  Even Oasis was rocking last week.  If the swell can move Oasis it will also move Quantum Ultra class. 

Things you'll miss on Odyssey - no Central Park, no Ice Skating venue, no Boardwalk, no zip line, one Flowrider

Things you'll gain on Odyssey - iFly, North Star, Sea Plex, Playmakers, Solarium with wading pools,  Two70°

Harmony has Grease as it's primary theater show, Odyssey has The Effectors and The Book in Two70.  Shows are personal.  I've seen Grease enough times for a lifetime.  The Effectors is a high tech show.   

Edited by twangster

I would pick Harmony over Odyssey just because of the Central Park and Boardwalk areas. The high tech shows are ok but I would prefer Grease, again and again. Also, prefer the nice Promenades on Oasis class vs the cut-up Esplanade on Odyssey, where you cannot view the Esplanade from one end to the other as the walls are jagged and not people-watcher friendly IMO. Personal preferences I guess!

As far as the width, I don't believe there's much difference between these two, maybe a little. However, the Wonder of the Seas is another story! She is very, very wide!!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

Over 50 nights on Oasis Class over the last 8 years. 17 nights on Ovation and Quantum this year. Much prefer Oasis Class, good chance we will never sail Quantum Class again.  Found Quantum and Ovation very boring, thought 270 was a awful venue with lousy shows.  Ship feels very small and narrow, the Royal esplanade is a two story joke compared to Oasis Class Promenade. . Went through a rough patch of seas going from Vancouver to Hawaii, did not seem any different than rough seas on a Oasis Class transatlantic crossing.  Crew on both ships were happy, energetic and very helpful.  Promenade and outside venues are hands down far better on Oasis Class.  Wonderland is extremely small, Izumi has most of it's seating in the walkway leading to the bionic bar. Vintages was a stand out winner in a great location.  I am sure that there are plenty of reviews with a complete opposite point of view. happy cruising

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

IMO: you've done OASIS class several times ... why not try something new. I too have done OASIS a couple of times and just last month did ODY' ...... yes it is smaller (including narrower!) but did not notice motion at any time - our sailing was particularly 'weather free'

The ship layout is VERY different and I'm not saying better or worse .... but DIFFERENT. ANTHEM class has 'less stuff' as compared to OASIS but that's subjective as there is DIFFERENT stuff.  Personally I'm past the 'stuff' but my kids (well kids in my mind but actually in their 30's) who have done OASIS class (and others) were HAPPY with the 'stuff' on ODY' like FLY and bumper cars (and that area was used for pickle ball in the mornings)

Bottom line: I'm a strong proponent of: try new things! If you stay with Royal which you've cruised before you should be comfortable about TOO much being different . . .

Was on Harmony in August (previously Oasis and Allure multiple times) and Odyssey in November. I agree with a lot that's been said. While I'm glad we tried Quantum Class, will probably stick with Oasis class going forward. Odyssey felt very chopped up. Didn't like not being able to see from one end of the Promenade to the other. Seating in Italian and sushi was right next to a walkway. I would describe width as a single wide vs. double wide. We did, however, really enjoy Music Hall venue and 270. Odyssey had a nice large Diamond Club. Didn't enjoy Effectors at all (and too much "sniffing" of books in "The Book" production!). We had one night where I could feel ship movement, but it wasn't bad and I think we would've felt it on Harmony too. 

Bottom line: my recommendation is give Odyssey a try because of all the new options (bumper cars, Ifly, Zone Zero), with the knowledge that you'll enjoy yourself but might just like Oasis class a little bit better! 

3 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I would pick Harmony over Odyssey just because of the Central Park and Boardwalk areas. The high tech shows are ok but I would prefer Grease, again and again. Also, prefer the nice Promenades on Oasis class vs the cut-up Esplanade on Odyssey, where you cannot view the Esplanade from one end to the other as the walls are jagged and not people-watcher friendly IMO. Personal preferences I guess!

As far as the width, I don't believe there's much difference between these two, maybe a little. However, the Wonder of the Seas is another story! She is very, very wide!!

Wonder is no wider than Harmony 

• Like 1

I love both classes.  We have both Anthem and Oasis sailing from Bayonne.  The Anthem was designed to sail in cold weather climate and has an indoor pool suitable to sail during late Fall and Winter from the Northeast.  In 2024, Oasis will be replaced by Symphony.  

To Newbieflorida, Jamie's seating is al fresco as is Giovanni's on Oasis classes.

Hands down the Q classes have the best layout of the WJ.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

All ships are subject motion depending on sea state and swell.  Even Oasis was rocking last week.  If the swell can move Oasis it will also move Quantum Ultra class. 

Things you'll miss on Odyssey - no Central Park, no Ice Skating venue, no Boardwalk, no zip line, one Flowrider

Things you'll gain on Odyssey - iFly, North Star, Sea Plex, Playmakers, Solarium with wading pools,  Two70°

Harmony has Grease as it's primary theater show, Odyssey has The Effectors and The Book in Two70.  Shows are personal.  I've seen Grease enough times for a lifetime.  The Effectors is a high tech show.   

Does Harmony have the Stowaway Piano Player?

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Harmony is 122 feet at the beam, Wonder is 137 feet at the beam.  Icon will be the widest at 213 feet. 

No

harmon is actually wider. All oasis class are about the same. 

F13F83BC-D3F3-4CDA-BFDE-740528A9586B.png

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Harmony is 122 feet at the beam, Wonder is 137 feet at the beam.  Icon will be the widest at 213 feet. 

I was posting on the person who said wonder is a whole other story. That wonder is so much wider. It’s a few feet difference on all oasis class. Nothing that will ever be noticed 

I love both classes for totally different reasons. I would be happy with either, myself. I think twangster covered the differences well.  

Love the Music Hall on Quantum class. The 2 story lounges on Oasis class can’t compete.  And then Oasis class has Central Park. Nothing like that on Quantum class.

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't understand this desire to be able to "look from one end of the Royal Promenade to the other."

Me neither but I respect that some things don't work for some people.

I love that I can use deck 5 to bypass the esplanade and look down into it.  All ships with a promenade desperately need a promenade bypass like Q class has that doesn't mean walking down the cabin hallway.     

• Like 3

1 minute ago, molsonschooner said:

those numbers are completely wrong. Harmony is measured in feet while Wonder is in meters. That would make wonder times wider than harmony

Same footprint.  Wonder is not wider than her prior sisters in a meaningful way.

Some websites use the beam at the waterline versus the maximum beam above the waterline.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

those numbers are completely wrong. Harmony is measured in feet while Wonder is in meters. That would make wonder times wider than harmony

Wonder's length and width are shown in both feet and meters.