Looking for someone currently on Edge (1/3/23) that can confirm/deny scaled back dinner buffet??

BermudaBound2014

56 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Excuse me?  There was a make-to-order pasta station at the OVC for dinner?

Yes, usually 3 or 4 different sauces, different pastas, garlic bread, meatballs. There are other toppings/proteins/seasoning you can request.  It was available lunch, dinner, late night snack and is adjacent to the pizza section.  In addition, any meats or cheeses you get from the buffet they will incorporate into your dish if you want. 

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

if there's higher volume in MDR they should feel incentivized to allow everyone and try to turn tables faster - more people =  more potential cash tips during the voyage. 

Why would there potentially be more cash tips?  It doesn't sound like this new model could be done sustainably with fixed/traditional dining.  They would have to go to open seating on all ships -- and I don't think most people are going to want to carry around a wad of cash to tip nightly for MDR experience. Are we going to go back to being presented with a bill after dinner every night with a line for gratuity?  That would be a bridge mighty far for this long-time cruiser...

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why would there potentially be more cash tips?  It doesn't sound like this new model could be done sustainably with fixed/traditional dining.  They would have to go to open seating on all ships -- and I don't think most people are going to want to carry around a wad of cash to tip nightly for MDR experience. Are we going to go back to being presented with a bill after dinner every night with a line for gratuity?  That would be a bridge mighty far for this long-time cruiser...

If it's all open seating, then I agree with you. Makes sense really. I guess they couldn't really manage fixed/traditional dining unless they went to a 3rd shift, which I have seen on some ships.  

You get a 5, 7, and 9 PM dinner.  Entertainment doesn't work very well with that format, but it does exist. It would prob be a disaster. But if they did it and crammed more people through, it''s just a bigger pool of people so there's potential for more tips.  But I see your point and largely agree. 

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Excuse me?  There was a make-to-order pasta station at the OVC for dinner?

I had dinner up there a couple of nights on the TA when I wanted some peace and quiet.  Captain sat next to me twice (guess he needed some space, too). 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KKB said:

LOL DH & I are retired school librarians! He retired May 2021 & me May 2022. 

I declared "retirement year" with the goal of a cruise/month (except June...another travel commitment.

And looks like I am going to make that goal! Got some fantastic deals, some friends & family wanted to cruise so that rounded things out. 

Now, not sustainable forever, and I'm not sure I'd want to do it forever. Maybe every other month😉

My turn to LOL… DW and I had 80 years between us on the educator continuum (Kindergarten - middle school -  principal- adjunct faculty).   Fortunate to raise children, college, get some $ in 401, and finally get to spend our retirement $.  Excited every time we get a veranda room, cause most times it’s OV and we’re still excited just to be on a ship 🚢.  But still like to hear about everyone’s cruising experiences…

• Like 6

4 hours ago, KKB said:

My mouth is watering thinking of the Sea Bass at the Greek one! 

(If you do choose to eat in 1 all week, you CAN order the specialty items from the other restaurants. Each restaurant has the daily MDR menu PLUS they each have an additional one specific to their theme--French, Italian, Greek & "Cosmopolitan")

@KKB, the Sea Bass is ALREADY in my meal selection when we dine at Cyprus. LOL!! I actually looked at all the daily offerings plus the signature for each of the 4 MDRs and chose my venue per that (and yes, I know the Classics and general Celebrity Signatures are available at all MDRs).

I love the idea of browsing OVC though for desserts as per @Homosassa! I'll do that. Originally I booked 5 evenings at MDRs with 2 options at OCV but after reading the thread here, added the last 2 evenings at the MDRs...and I will adjust accordingly when I get on board....in 48 hours!!! Woot woot! Except...err.... flights are cancelled and delayed today out of Montreal all day due to freezing rain. Arrrgghhh! Winter! Hope all clears up tomorrow when we fly in one day before the cruise. 🙏

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KKB said:

My mouth is watering thinking of the Sea Bass at the Greek one! 

(If you do choose to eat in 1 all week, you CAN order the specialty items from the other restaurants. Each restaurant has the daily MDR menu PLUS they each have an additional one specific to their theme--French, Italian, Greek & "Cosmopolitan")

I hope it’s still on the menu for u. 
Looking at the app for Cyprus on our Beyond cruise in two weeks there is no sea bass insight. Hopefully once onboard the menu will be updated. 

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, usually 3 or 4 different sauces, different pastas, garlic bread, meatballs. There are other toppings/proteins/seasoning you can request.  It was available lunch, dinner, late night snack and is adjacent to the pizza section.  In addition, any meats or cheeses you get from the buffet they will incorporate into your dish if you want. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's a little early to say, but based on the limited reports we have right now, one night a pasta station was offered. Another night it was a stir fry option. Unfortunately, this limited selection OVcafe dinner change just went into effect and so far there are only reports of the limited evening buffets on 4 ships. I'm sure the other ships will start to chime in soon. 

There always was pre-covid and it was excellent. You pick type of noodles (3-4 choices). Type of sauce (3-4 choices) and choice of 7-8 ingredients to add to the sauce. It's made reheating the noodles in hot water and combining all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan to combine flavors. My mouth is watering.

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

Yes, and it usually has much longer hours than the buffet. I think it was open noon until 1am on the Constellation in November. 

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I had dinner up there a couple of nights on the TA when I wanted some peace and quiet.  Captain sat next to me twice (guess he needed some space, too). 😉

I have enjoyed it for lunch on several occasions during our recent Constellation TA.  Never thought to go there for dinner.

Ruth, it looks like OVC will become even quieter in the future.

08BBDB3F-9A94-47F1-A9E5-2DBA7CAE2746.thumb.jpeg.0903a2eaa20d8df6dc6c003070e173e5.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

26 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

@KKB, the Sea Bass is ALREADY in my meal selection when we dine at Cyprus. LOL!! I actually looked at all the daily offerings plus the signature for each of the 4 MDRs and chose my venue per that (and yes, I know the Classics and general Celebrity Signatures are available at all MDRs).

I love the idea of browsing OVC though for desserts as per @Homosassa! I'll do that. Originally I booked 5 evenings at MDRs with 2 options at OCV but after reading the thread here, added the last 2 evenings at the MDRs...and I will adjust accordingly when I get on board....in 48 hours!!! Woot woot! Except...err.... flights are cancelled and delayed today out of Montreal all day due to freezing rain. Arrrgghhh! Winter! Hope all clears up tomorrow when we fly in one day before the cruise. 🙏

I see X hasn't gotten around to removing the signature dishes yet like Royal has. Hope they don't.

2 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I see X hasn't gotten around to removing the signature dishes yet like Royal has. Hope they don't.

Royal has not rolled out or finalized new menus yet so we don't actually know how much will be eliminated or what they will look like.  I understand there will be changes from the ones they initially tested on the Symphony.

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Royal has not rolled out or finalized new menus yet so we don't actually know how much will be eliminated or what they will look like.  I understand there will be changes from the ones they initially tested on the Symphony.

I surmise they will look a lot more like the scaled down Symphony menus than what preceded them. Taking away my onion soup is fighting words……

mac_tlc

43 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I surmise they will look a lot more like the scaled down Symphony menus than what preceded them. Taking away my onion soup is fighting words……

mac_tlc

RIGHT??!! 
And NOT THE SEA BASS!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I assume if you come in shorts and a T-shirt no one will stop you.  I assume they will insist on footwear (no bare feet) because that is a safety issue.

I guess that depends.  I saw a gentleman turned away at Luminae on Edge in 2020 who tried to enter for dinner in shorts and a t-shirt.  The Maitre D politely informed him that the dress code for Luminae did not permit shorts for dinner.  The gentleman left without any commotion.  Not sure if he came back or not. 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess that depends.  I saw a gentleman turned away at Luminae on Edge in 2020 who tried to enter for dinner in shorts and a t-shirt.  The Maitre D politely informed him that the dress code for Luminae did not permit shorts for dinner.  The gentleman left without any commotion.  Not sure if he came back or not. 

So they are literally making me get dressed up to eat if they don't offer the buffet at night? Still waiting to see how this shakes out. Hard to think this is nothing more than a one off but time will tell.

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Ahh, but 2020 seems like a million years from today....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

So they are literally making me get dressed up to eat if they don't offer the buffet at night? Still waiting to see how this shakes out. Hard to think this is nothing more than a one off but time will tell.

This will be interesting after a long late day in port. I just want to wash my face and hands and eat at the buffet when I come back hungry. If there is not a meal and I miss my dining time or am not allowed in then they need to deliver to me cabin without charging me!

Oh .. Maybe I will stand at the door of the MDR and ask for take out!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I'll just wear one of my wifes sundresses. Problem solved. 

If I am turned away at MDR my next stop is guest services.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

This has gotten way off topic

i keep going back to the original topic of anyone on edge can confirm cutbacks and nobody seems to be answering that particular question.

Go back the first page (posts 3, 5, 7, 8, etc.).  A reduced dinner buffet has been confirmed. The room service charge is not being charged or showing in the app for this sailing, at least as of the time of those posts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do not see Sea Bass on the menu on Connie leaving next week. Will keep an eye out for you. 

I'm specifically referencing the Sea Bass in Cyprus on E-class.

Sadly it looks to be replaced by beef tenderloin en croute--NOT exactly Greek in my mind.

Tried the lavender halibut...meh, I'm not sure those 2 things go together.

SHOOT

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/restaurants-and-bars/restaurant-menu/cyprus-menu.pdf

9 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Go back the first page (posts 3, 5, 7, 8, etc.).  A reduced dinner buffet has been confirmed. 

No it hasn't. 

Read the other posts from cruisers with more experience in how buffets work as far as open hours and number of stations in service.

This whole thread and at least one other, is based on unconfirmed rumors or very limited observation.

By the way, I would not be surprise if the Constellation (for near upcoming cruisers) has only one side of the buffet in operation for dinner for all or part of the dinner service. 

That was the way it was on our Constellation cruise in 2022 and on the Millennium Alaska cruise (fully booked) last summer.

There was no need to both sides to be open.  The stations that were specialty (like the pizza and soft serve) were open if the side they were on was the closed section. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

By the way, I would not be surprise if the Constellation (for near upcoming cruisers) has only one side of the buffet in operation for dinner for all or part of the dinner service. 

Thru photo evidence provided here and other social media sites, I believe there is enough evidence to confirm that the dinner buffet options have been greatly scaled back.

I'll be reporting live from the Connie next week. I don't care if only one side of the buffet is open, I just want the similar choices as in the past.  I will specifically be looking for the grilling station among other things. I will post complete photos (maybe a video if it will upload) so there is absolutely no doubt what is currently being offered.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

No it hasn't. 

Read the other posts from cruisers with more experience in how buffets work as far as open hours and number of stations in service.

This whole thread and at least one other, is based on unconfirmed rumors or very limited observation.

That was the way it was on our Constellation cruise in 2022 and on the Millennium Alaska cruise (fully booked) last summer.

There was no need to both sides to be open.  The stations that were specialty (like the pizza and soft serve) were open if the side they were on was the closed section. 

Post 23 mentions the grill area being closed (which I understand was always previously a part of the dinner buffet) so there is at least a reduction in offerings on this particular sailing. 

I do agree though that most of these threads are based on very little information with the limited observations often coming from people who don’t normally eat at the dinner buffet. 

Edited by prmssk
  • Thanks 1