“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

2 minutes ago, Larry lobster said:

We booked a cruise of the Connie which included the classic drink package over one year ago.  I understand Celebrity has taken the zero alcohol package out of the classic package.  That means an additional $440.  Can they just change the package 3 weeks before sailing?

Classic Alcohol or non-alcohol?   The zero alcohol drinks were included in the premium non-alcohol package.

The zero alcohol drinks are included in the classic alcohol package.

2 minutes ago, Larry lobster said:

We booked a cruise of the Connie which included the classic drink package over one year ago.  I understand Celebrity has taken the zero alcohol package out of the classic package.  That means an additional $440.  Can they just change the package 3 weeks before sailing?

To my knowledge, the only thing that’s changed about the classic beverage package is the price. Anything that was included 1-2 years ago is still included. 

39 minutes ago, kearney said:

DH has mobility issues...so what I like about cruising..is that they take you from place to place. Our first cruise was of the Hawaiian Islands back in '91. It was great not having to pack and head to the airport to head to see another island. And with DH mobility ..we just get to the ship and from there.. he can relax. I am not surprised at extra charges..but since we don't use room service, and have seldom been to the OV after 5.. the changes may make MDR more crowded..but other than that.. limited impact. 

To You Maybe...But to others??

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, D C said:

Loyal guests are little more than a nuisance. Just ask Disney. Passholders come time and again, they don't spend $ on lots of extras and souvenirs.  Very low revenue per guest. On top of that, they notice when you try to quietly degrade the product. So pesky! 

X is making cuts because they think they can get away with it and that the bottom line will benefit.   Loyalty doesn't enter the equation on their behalf at all, or maybe as a footnote. So that elite guest goes elsewhere and is replaced with some new, unsuspecting customer.  No bags of laundry or free cheap drinks to dole out.  Sell some t-shirts or watches and lots of excursions. That's a win! 

You forgot Gold Chain by the Inch....😁

Edited by mpdog42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Oh wow, that sounds wonderful.  My mother always used to order a "Toasted Almond" which was Kahlua, Amaretto and cream.  I like the inclusion of Baileys and ice cream! I will have to order that next week.

Ask for chocolate to be swirled around the glass. 

• Like 1

Sad to read a thread like this on the Celebrity board.  Unfortunately there is similar type thread for every major cruise line on CC.  The trend on them all is get less and pay more, and cutbacks.

It’s not even a matter of writing off one line and moving to another because they are all doing it.  To what extent and degree varies but it appears this will be the trend for 2023.   

Might be a good time to take a break from cruising, unless it’s a dirt cheap deal.  The value proposition is diminishing and so many of the unique attributes that make cruising so special are vanishing.  If they are adamant about becoming more like the hotel industry might as well just stay at a hotel.  Sad.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kearney said:

I was curious about land vacation vs a cruise... so I tried cost comparison for a 6 day cruise in June vs a 6 day stay on Hilton Head overlooking Harbortown marina. Selected a mid priced veranda vs a one bedroom condo with a view. The cost of accommodations including various fees and taxes was $1750...vs the cruise of $2860 (including gratuities)... but when I factored in meals... (I used Ihop menu for breakfast..Appleby's sandwich prices for lunch...and a nice local restaurant for dinner... meals per day with 20% tip was about $225 for two.. In total the 6 day HHI trip was a tad more expensive than the cruise and you could always drop a meal or cook in the condo..to reduce costs... but using a sample of one... cruise still better value..with entertainment and change of scenery ..Of course I am looking a prime veranda vs a condo...not sure how a suite would compare to a house on the ocean.. but for my money it is still a value. What I don't like the dramatic switch from Always Included (which was a misnomer to begin with)...to a number of additional charges... when you get used to not having to look at the bill on a daily basis..it is annoying to have to keep checking to make sure no unplanned extras popup.

Out of curiosity.. I checked Costco travel for package to Grand Cayman..one of the stops on the June cruise I used for cost purposes... since you have to fly there.. the package they had with air fromATL and transfers ..exceeded $5,000..before considering meals.... So while not a full analysis.. cruising still seems like the better deal

A 1 bedroom vs a veranda is perhaps not the best comparison.  A studio or efficiency would be a better comparison.... or bump up to a suite room on the cruise. 

We won't miss the welcome bubbly,  or afternoon canapes...

We will manage with reduced menus and buffet items... IF the food quality remains  good.  It was  EXCELLENT in BLU on Beyond..but we found Luminae was over rated!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, prmssk said:

Ignoring the reality of the situation doesn't make it go away.

It will be an issue for passengers, if cruise lines start folding.  I still have a lot of cruising years left.  I want these cruise lines to still be around years down the road.

And no cruise line is making cuts that will upset their loyalty customers just because they want to.  They are doing it because the consequences of not are worse.  They may not be making decisions you or I agree with and they may not be transparent about those decisions but they are not making them just because.

The cruise lines do not care about the loyal cruisers - the cruisers that will keep cruising with Cruise Line XYZ because they see a perceived value in a free bag or some other such perceived freebies. The loyalists are not the ones buying shore excursions, photographs, specialty dining, gift shops etc. Read posts on any cruise line - the veterans / loyalists pride themselves on the fact that they spend a minimal amount on board.

All cruise lines are after the newbies - and really - the vast majority have yet to take a cruise. North American cruise penetration rate is approximately 15% I believe. The newbies are the ones that will cruise and hopefully spend on all of the bells and whistles. The loyalists won’t save the cruise lines - if anyone, it will be the Newbies.

• Like 5

Just now, hcat said:

We won't miss the welcome bubbly,  or afternoon canapes...

We will manage with reduced menus and buffet items... IF the food quality remains  good.  It was  EXCELLENT in BLU on Beyond..but we found Luminae was over rated!

Comments about Luminae scare me but we are on Summit and as long as we can still order from Main Dining Room or Blu, I will be ok. 

Laura

15 minutes ago, Larry lobster said:

I'm pretty sure that is just an oversight on the website.  I can't imagine Celebrity actually removed the non-alcoholic options under the classic package and I haven't heard any reports from people on board that they have.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I was curious about land vacation vs a cruise... so I tried cost comparison for a 6 day cruise in June vs a 6 day stay on Hilton Head overlooking Harbortown marina. Selected a mid priced veranda vs a one bedroom condo with a view. The cost of accommodations including various fees and taxes was $1750...vs the cruise of $2860 (including gratuities)... but when I factored in meals... (I used Ihop menu for breakfast..Appleby's sandwich prices for lunch...and a nice local restaurant for dinner... meals per day with 20% tip was about $225 for two.. In total the 6 day HHI trip was a tad more expensive than the cruise and you could always drop a meal or cook in the condo..to reduce costs... but using a sample of one... cruise still better value..with entertainment and change of scenery ..Of course I am looking a prime veranda vs a condo...not sure how a suite would compare to a house on the ocean.. but for my money it is still a value. What I don't like the dramatic switch from Always Included (which was a misnomer to begin with)...to a number of additional charges... when you get used to not having to look at the bill on a daily basis..it is annoying to have to keep checking to make sure no unplanned extras popup.

Out of curiosity.. I checked Costco travel for package to Grand Cayman..one of the stops on the June cruise I used for cost purposes... since you have to fly there.. the package they had with air fromATL and transfers ..exceeded $5,000..before considering meals.... So while not a full analysis.. cruising still seems like the better deal

Generally you can get some great beach front all inclusive resort deals in Mexico, DR, etc; works for those who want to spend ample time at the beach and/or ocean

Cruising is great if you want to visit multiple locations

56 minutes ago, RD64 said:

The cruise lines do not care about the loyal cruisers - the cruisers that will keep cruising with Cruise Line XYZ because they see a perceived value in a free bag or some other such perceived freebies. The loyalists are not the ones buying shore excursions, photographs, specialty dining, gift shops etc. Read posts on any cruise line - the veterans / loyalists pride themselves on the fact that they spend a minimal amount on board.

All cruise lines are after the newbies - and really - the vast majority have yet to take a cruise. North American cruise penetration rate is approximately 15% I believe. The newbies are the ones that will cruise and hopefully spend on all of the bells and whistles. The loyalists won’t save the cruise lines - if anyone, it will be the Newbies.

If this were true they wouldn't have the any loyalty programs or any perks at all.  Now do they care MORE about attracting new customers over the loyal existing?  Absolutely

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If this were true they wouldn't have the any loyalty programs or any perks at all.  Now do they care MORE about attracting new customers over the loyal existing?  Absolutely

Loyal guests are easy revenue, but they're not ideal revenue. So you have loyalty programs to keep them coming back to fill rooms. You throw those people a bone to make them THINK you care. You don't HAVE to care about them at all.  Those rooms are far better filled by new $

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Generally you can get some great beach front all inclusive resort deals in Mexico, DR, etc; works for those who want to spend ample time at the beach and/or ocean

Cruising is great if you want to visit multiple locations

I know a B&B in Cozumel that's well under $100 per night in the peak season. Not ocean view, so perhaps not comparable to a veranda, but it's probably better than an IV. 😉  If tropical weather is the goal, it's not a bad option.  Plus you get the inside scoop on non-tourist places to go 

2 minutes ago, D C said:

Loyal guests are easy revenue, but they're not ideal revenue. So you have loyalty programs to keep them coming back to fill rooms. You throw those people a bone to make them THINK you care. You don't HAVE to care about them at all.  Those rooms are far better filled by new $

X does have lots of booking data, they'll without a doubt focus on what's the most profitable which is the Retreat.  Based on passengers I spoke to, those in the upper suites are repeat customers who tried a lower level suite previously

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, D C said:

I tend to agree, but the loyalty programs and past guests came to the rescue after COVID.  They were the only ones that trusted the cruise industry at the time.  Newbies wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole.  Cruise lines are still struggling to regain the trust of the public.  They have come a long way but the fact that ships are not filling up and Celebrity for instance is tossing out free cruises like nobody’s business, suggests there is a long way to go yet.  Loyalty programs are not ideal for business but they serve a purpose and can come in handy.  

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

I tend to agree, but the loyalty programs and past guests came to the rescue after COVID.  They were the only ones that trusted the cruise industry at the time.  Newbies wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole.  Cruise lines are still struggling to regain the trust of the public.  They have come a long way but the fact that ships are not filling up and Celebrity for instance is tossing out free cruises like nobody’s business, suggests there is a long way to go yet.  Loyalty programs are not ideal for business but they serve a purpose and can come in handy.  

I would love to see the post-covid data. How many were already loyal vs how many were 'developing' and strung along with FCC? I suspect new-new cruisers are somewhat uncommon vs pre-covid

@kearney A big difference you are ignoring about HH vs cruise is that for more than half the cruise, if you try going a few hundred yards in any direction you will get very wet.

More seriously, comparing the two only on the basis of a few itemized expenses is really kind of silly. You need to look at the opportunities for vacation activities. The limited commercial and entertainment environment of a ship is practically one dimensional compared to what you can get to from a condo in a resort area.  From your HH condo you can access 17 miles of bicycle trails right outside your door, and literally have within 35 miles hundreds of restaurants and bars, an array of stores ranging from luxury to grocery to discount, historical sites you can visit on your own and tours that don't have to be compressed into a few hours, dozen of golf courses and other activities, theaters and crafts. Television at any time and fast internet, too. For the more restful minded, there are miles and miles of wide beaches where only the unimaginative can't find a way to spend a full day if they wish.

Most importantly, if you don't like something you try, you aren't stuck with it for the next 5 or 9 days. 

And, since we live on a golf course 30 miles in, you might even run into me and my wife!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OT

@mayleeman, my dad goes on a 9 day, 7 course golf trip with a big group mostly comprised of other retired cops like him. My younger brother (not retired, nor in LE) has gone for the last 6 years. Hubby (retired arson investigator) has gone most of those years: he goes when we are not traveling elsewhere. 

I'll tell them to keep an eye out for a Jayhawk next time. They always send me pictures of gators on the courses, and of the sun over the ocean in the morning, instead of in the evening (weird 😉). I want a Jayhawk picture this October. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Can you advise your specific stateroom type for each of the three noted recent cruises? TY

Equinox - July 22 - 1A

Reflection - Oct 22 - 1A

Beyond - Nov 22 - S2

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Everyone had FCC's to use, timelines (though extended a few times) to use them, and the concern of the industry in general continuing operations. I know many people who said "Well, I haven't done anything for 2 years...and they have my money. I'm just going to go." 

Like...Revenge Vacationing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

Equinox - July 22 - 1A

Reflection - Oct 22 - 1A

Beyond - Nov 22 - S2

TY.

I'm not well versed in Celebrity stateroom category nomenclature. However, was your impression, observation, or experience that different stateroom categories are better (or worse) served or accommodated based upon those categories?

Appreciate your time.