Cutbacks at Oceanview Cafe at Breakfast and Lunch ?

realnice46

There have been no reports that I have seen if cutbacks like what is occurring at dinner.  
The OV is heavily used at both breakfast and lunch so unlikely they would close off portions of it.  At night there are not near as many people eating there.

The only thing we noticed in December was cookies, croissants, muffins and other pastries were smaller and the serving of carved meat or pasta was smaller but you could get more if you asked.

• Like 1

Next to go is likely going to be made to order omlettes; so it just might seem. They will be available on MDR menu and Room Service menu. It's a lot of prep for ingredients, multiple stations on both sides running, and lots of wastage there. Pre-cooked fried eggs, and poached, are much faster and easier to control. 

I noticed that that the made-to-order stir fry which was my “go to” at lunch was gone.  Also, the poached egg station only had salmon and spinach,  no ham or Canadian bacon.  When I asked the staff, they went off in the back to check and never came back.  I just got fried eggs instead.  

11 hours ago, bikerunner said:

you won't go hungry.   Jeez so you don't get the American size portions anymore,

What?  I was answering a question about what changed.  That was a factual answer not a complaint.  

• Like 10

11 hours ago, bikerunner said:

you won't go hungry.   Jeez so you don't get the American size portions anymore,

I just love these types of posts.  Didn't realize there were so many studs and models in other countries other than the US.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

We noticed a definite drop in both the amount and quality of the lunch offering in the OVC. There were areas where there had previously been food offerings that were now display areas of things like boxes of uncooked pasta, cracker boxes etc. that were not meant for consumption, but rather as space fillers. Also the salad choices were much more limited as were the options at the sandwich station. The daily carving stations were heavy on pork or poultry and similar less expensive proteins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

as I posted on other threads 

The best thing to do is to submit a comment to detail card when on board

Then when doing the survey rate the areas that don’t relate to service unless that is needed as a 1 if you aren’t happy.  

Don’t give them a 10 in areas that have been cut, give it a 1

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 6

Celebrity Cruises is going down hill and then some.  

Warning to Anyone Considering Celebrity Reading this Thead (January 21, 2023):  strongly consider that the cutbacks reported on this website have gone unanswered by the company as of this date and have been without any public explanation or information release as other cruise brands have done.  If you like bologna, fish sticks, and bread pudding you may be okay.  If not, then consider keeping your options open on land or elsewhere.  

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Oh boy.  It won’t be long before this thread evolves to 45 pages like the dinner buffet thread.  That one is closed now, so onto breakfast and lunch! Looks like it’s not too much better earlier in the day sadly.

The dinner buffet thread previously had a thread that was 39 pages.  39+45 = 84 pages of dinner buffet.

1 hour ago, kayehall said:

I stopped reading it at about page 27.  Was getting too repetitive.

I stopped reading it earlier than that , because at the tlme, ( last week ) I was on the Equinox and most of what was being said on that thread was speculation and not what was actually occurring on the ship in real time.    On the 9 night cruise , the breakfast and lunch offerings in the OVC were the same as I have experienced on Celebrity for last 5 years.

The evening offerings on 7 of the nights were cut back , but still pasta bar, pizza, salad bar, hot food station including beef, pork, chicken and fish plus all the sides.  Also a well stocked dessert station.    On the other 2 nights, which were late port departure nights,  the OVC had most stations opened similar  to in the past.

as far as size of portions, it was only limited by the amount you could fit on your plate in the OVC.  In the Mdr, i found the menu contained plenty of choices.   Extra appetizers were not a problem.   Portions of most options were plenty.   On one evening , the duck al orange consisted of a half duck in each serving.   On three occasions, where we left the dining room before dessert to catch the early show , waiter and maître’d offered delivery of our dessert of choice to our cabin free of charge so we could enjoy it after the show.   That offer was also made to the guests at the table next to us as well.

im not saying that Celebrity is not finding some cost savings as are all other cruise lines as a result of the challenges of the last two years. But, most of the rhetoric on the dining issues are a little overboard in my opinion.   I am not loyal to Celebrity. I share my cruise dollars between Celebrity, Royal, Holland America and Azamara.  They each have their weak and strong points.

Happy Cruising Everyone, the glass is half full

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2023 at 12:31 AM, Islander500 said:

I noticed that that the made-to-order stir fry which was my “go to” at lunch was gone.  Also, the poached egg station only had salmon and spinach,  no ham or Canadian bacon.  When I asked the staff, they went off in the back to check and never came back.  I just got fried eggs instead.  

I just got off the Apex and the stir-fry station was there at lunch daily (rice and noodles). I had Eggs Benedict every single day and they had ham, spinach and smoked salmon right there and I always popped over to more smoked salmon where the charcuterie meats were for a bit more indulgence. Which ship were you on, by the way? DH enjoyed getting his unique omelette daily as well.

• Like 2