Abandon Ship

You often wonder what you would grab first if you had to abandon ship, or the house caught on fire.
Well now I know.
Max, Wallet, Phone (to ring 000 and insurance company), Keys (only because they were on the wallet)
Sunday night sitting eating diner and our TV antenna got hit by lightening, (talk about a BIG BANG)  TV exploded co-ax cable started to glow.
Abandon ship.
Five fire trucks, ambos, cops, neighbours from all around.
Whole TV system needs re wiring along with the fans, a few power points and light switches.
But all is well. NRMA had assessor’s here on Sunday night. Now we have tradesmen booked pretty much everyday.
Waiting on content assessor looks like all the TVs, BluRay, DVD, set top boxes, both lift chairs, the adjustable bed, and freezer are all shot.
But no one was hurt.
And I now I know what I long suspected, the very first thing I grabbed…. Maxy
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:
You often wonder what you would grab first if you had to abandon ship, or the house caught on fire.
Well now I know.
Max, Wallet, Phone (to ring 000 and insurance company), Keys (only because they were on the wallet)
Sunday night sitting eating diner and our TV antenna got hit by lightening, (talk about a BIG BANG)  TV exploded co-ax cable started to glow.
Abandon ship.
Whole TV system needs re wiring along with the fans, a few power points and light switches.
But all is well. NRMA had assessor’s here on Sunday night. Now we have tradesmen booked pretty much everyday.
Waiting on content assessor looks like all the TVs, BluRay, DVD, set top boxes, both lift chairs, the adjustable bed, and freezer are all shot.
But no one was hurt.

Mrs Gut was not on your list ? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂 

Good to know no one  injured and comforting to remember…..lighting does not strike twice in the same spot.👍 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Mrs Gut was not on your list ? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂 

Good to know no one  injured and comforting to remember…..lighting does not strike twice in the same spot.👍 

I did yell at her to get out. But figured she’s a big girl (you’ve seen the size of the woman) and could get herself out.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Passengers on Viking orion apparently had to do just that this morning with an onboard fire while docked at White Bay this morning.  Just reported on ABC radio news.

See also https://www.2gb.com/breaking-fire-breaks-out-on-board-cruise-ship-in-sydney/

Channel Nine reported 600 passengers and crew were “evacuated” ( which meant that the other two hundred odd pax and the rest of the crew were left  on board and they said coaches were  lined up to take the guest to alternate accomodation (  me thinks the coaches were already there to take guests on shore excursions as the ship does not leave til tonight) but hey, don't let the  truth get in the way of sensationalism.

• Like 2

Wow! That must have been seriously scary, Gut. I'm so glad you are all OK and hope you will be able to replace the damaged items without too much hassle.

I reckon your instinct was right - looking after a helpless/frightened pet or child should always be top priority. Adults can usually look after themselves unless injured.

• Like 3

strewth mate! Glad all are OK - that's the main thing of course, but it would have been a big scare to the system.

The other things can be replaced and repaired, which is not the case with our loved ones. 

Stay safe!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:
Well now I know.
Abandon ship.
But no one was hurt.

Hope the tradies get everything done quickly Mr Gut and that the assesors are generous! Flad you grabbed Maxi first! 

A couple of weeks ago, our suburb had a big storm and lighning struck houses, electric poles etc, Many people had TVs, NBN and Foxtel boxes, fidges and freezers damaged. Fortunately we just lost power for a few hours. 

• Like 1

And while you get everything repaired, get the electrician to fit a "whole house surge suppressor".

Lightning struck in the yard of our 200 year old house.  Fortunately, as part of the charm of the house, we retained the lightning rods on the roof.  The glass globes on these glowed like light bulbs, the copper piping in the house glowed green, and the aluminum trim on the windows glowed.  But, with a surge suppressor, no electrical damage whatsoever.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Wall socket in bedroom, it blew the plug out, melted it, and made a mess of the socket

D449F86A-E6DE-46B7-848C-21A6988B8277.jpeg

Ahhh yuck. That's a familiar sight. Back in the mid 90s a huge bolt of lightning hit the power pole between myself & my neighbours. 2am! Pole also happened to be the only one in the street with a big transformer box on it. It all caught fire. In both of our houses everything was fried. Every powerpoint looked like your photo. Everything plugged in was destroyed. 

It was an interesting lesson in insurance companies. By the end of the next day my neighbours had vouchers for every single destroyed thing including food. And an electrician was sent by insurance company first thing in the morning. 

My insurance company - despite being given the identical reports by the power company and fire brigade, insisted on sending all fried electronics to "experts for analysis" and two weeks later were still ummming and ahhhing until I threatened to go to a friend who was a well known journo. 

Suffice to say I dumped that company once they finally paid up. 

The burnt plasticy small took ages to go away. Months. Very cloying. 

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 4:26 AM, GUT2407 said:

You do?  Can't say I've ever given it much thought.  Now it's on my mind constantly...thanks for that 😟

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And while you get everything repaired, get the electrician to fit a "whole house surge suppressor".

Lightning struck in the yard of our 200 year old house.  Fortunately, as part of the charm of the house, we retained the lightning rods on the roof.  The glass globes on these glowed like light bulbs, the copper piping in the house glowed green, and the aluminum trim on the windows glowed.  But, with a surge suppressor, no electrical damage whatsoever.

Been one since new, just doesn’t do a thing for the tv antenna.

Once again I'm late to the response. I'm glad you and Mrs Gut are both okay and if course Maxi would be a top priority. That being said with your mobility issues he was probably safer with Mrs Gut 😁😉.

I hope the insurance people make sure everything is taken care of in a timely fashion, perhaps there will be some upgrades in the destroyed electronics.

I fear the worst part will be getting rid of the scorched electrical smell.

We're glad everyone including Maxi is safe but I suspect he will be skittish for a while. 

Take care Lyle & Lynn 

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, GUT2407 said:

I did yell at her to get out. But figured she’s a big girl (you’ve seen the size of the woman) and could get herself out.

Glad all is well .  Stuff can be replaced.  You're lucky to be alive, not from the lighting strike but your quote above..lol  Again..thank goodness all three of you are safe!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Glad all is well .  Stuff can be replaced.  You're lucky to be alive, not from the lighting strike but your quote above..lol  Again..thank goodness all three of you are safe!

But it is well known that I am scared of neither man nor beast except for herself.

• Haha 3

Thanks all.

Things are going pretty smoothly so far.

all the retiring done, some minor paint8ng hopefully next week.

Went shopping today for quotes on the contents tha5 need replac8ng.

Now that was scary, I was expecting 6 or 7 K, yeah sure, about double that. One lift chair in a couple of years went from 2k to nearly 4, they don’t make our mattress anymore but the nearest is 2 grand more than we paid. So make sure you have enough contents cover on your insurance.

• Like 2