benefit to taking inaugural cruise

Catherine Claus

What is the benefit to taking the first inaugural cruise on a new ship?  Are there any special perks? Would it be better to cruise after the ship has made a few trips?

Anyone with inaugural experience advice is appreciated.  We tentatively have the inaugural cruise on the Sun next Feb.  not sure we would enjoy Europe at that time of year.

Nothing substantial will be offered to inaugural passengers.  Usually, an inexpensive glass of wine on embarkation and some little mementos. Some folks love being the first on, but seasoned cruisers usually take a wait and see approach.  We tried it twice over the years and in no hurry to do it again.

Yes, it will be winter in Europe in February.  Only you know if you’re up for a cold weather cruise.  Certainly not for everyone.

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

Can't think of a single pro that would outweigh the cons I've seen posted after just about any inaugural cruise.

This.  We were on the inaugural cruise of the Disney Magic in 1998.  The first voyage of Disney's first cruise ship. (The Big Red Boat doesn't count).  It happened by accident as we were booked in late July, early August at a time when the ship was scheduled to commence service in March.  And then that got pushed back to April.  And eventually to the end of July.  So while we expected to be four or five months into the routine, we ended up being first and it was a very shaky cruise.  Especially in the dining department.  Palo was terrific, but the effort to get a reservation was a nightmare.  Wasted 2 hours of my first day on board in a line.  We did get some prints suitable for framing, but I would never consider those fair trade for the quality of the cruise itself.

Disney Cruise Line Print - ID: julydisneyana20328 | Van Eaton Galleries

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

Can't think of a single pro that would outweigh the cons I've seen posted after just about any inaugural cruise.

28 minutes ago, Catherine Claus said:

What is the benefit to taking the first inaugural cruise on a new ship?  Are there any special perks? Would it be better to cruise after the ship has made a few trips?

Anyone with inaugural experience advice is appreciated.  We tentatively have the inaugural cruise on the Sun next Feb.  not sure we would enjoy Europe at that time of year.

We will wait on this one.  February is too cold for us to enjoy the sightseeing.

We do love a new ship, but they usually have had crew, press, officers and officials whom have used the ship prior to the inaugural sailing. 

There are some learning curbs for new employees or seasoned employees on a new ship.  Although, they will pick the best crew to lead these MDR’s and other venues.

It looks beautiful, but certainly a different ship style for Princess.  Will be interesting.

A white medallion and a simple momento will probably be given. 

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

A white medallion and a simple momento will probably be given. 

Yes...I forgot about the white medallions...but they would just get lost in a sea of others that we've saved. (I'm *certain* that they will be worth BIG MONEY at some point...)

• Haha 2

I believe the white medallions are given out during the whole inaugural season.

To me signing up the the inaugural cruise is dicey as any kind of slip in delivery to Princess and someone else booked later is now on the inaugural cruise...

• Like 2

Only if the itinerary is unusual and unlikely to be repeated.  We booked the Star Princess Pacific Rim cruise for Feb 2002:  Singapore,Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Okinawa, Tokyo, Honolulu, Maui, LA.  26 nights.  At the time we didn’t know it was her first cruise.  Nothing special except the welcomes in each port.  There were no hiccups that I know of, she had sailed empty across the Indian Ocean from Italy and the crew pretty much tested everything out.  EM

Here is what the white Medallion looks like. The Princess logo will be the color of the passenger's Captain's Circle status. (Don't remember where I got this pic.)

White Medallion.JPG

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

1.  Greater chance of the sailing being cancelled if ship is not delivered on time or needs fixes.

2.  Crew still getting used to new ship's set-up.

3.  Lots of things need small (or large) fixes.

I have no desire to be one of the test subjects.  I'll let the ship have at least a couple of months to shake-down.

• Like 1

Having done two inaugural cruises I would not avoid them or specifically choose them. Not everything will work perfectly  and there may be on going work but that is also the case on cruises before and after a refit.

Europe in February - absolutely we have just done a December Spain and Portugal Cruise and the weather was wonderful except one wet and windy day. Have also visited Italy in January and enjoyed eating outside in the sunshine. No crowds, no lines  no baking in the sun.

We spent Christmas in Florida and it was warmer in Europe than Daytona Beach!

I decided no way would I do the cruise itinerary that is so great, because it is only available in Feb and Mar.   If your desire is to sail on a brand new ship, with that 'new car smell', with seeing Europe as only being secondary.   Then go for that.    If you want to see Europe,  as I want to do, as I have never cruised Europe before, then I would sail later.

Look at weather averages, and look at videos from these places at that time of year.

You might not get that hoped for but unusual warm sunny day.

Then make the decision that is right for you.

The low for Rome right now, showing on the weather, is 39'.

I will be sunny tomorrow, but followed by many chances of very rainy days.

It is too bad that the good itinerary I want is only available pre-season, probably because of Port availability then.  But, we are looking at a second choice itinerary in May. 

NOTE:  even those are getting heavily sold, with the good cabins I might want are almost all gone.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, memoak said:

On an first cruise for any ship there will be things that are not quite ready and if it is a new style ship crew may take time to get used to it. I would pass 

Our only inaugural cruise was Celebrity Reflection, the fifth ship in it's class, because the itinerary and timing were perfect for us. The ship was brand new and had that "new ship" smell. Nothing was worn out, everything worked perfectly, and we had zero issues during our 14 day cruise. If there were any issues, they were unseen and did not affect us in any way. Granted, there were four previous ships in that class, so all the bugs could have been rectified before this ship was even built.

Having said that, we probably wouldn't do another inaugural due to what other people have experienced on their inaugural cruises. No sense taking chances. We might have been lucky once, but what are the odds of being lucky a second time. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Many long time cruisers (we have been at it for over 50 years) have learned to not only avoid inaugural voyages, but to also avoid new ships for a few weeks/months.   The problem with inaugurals is that they are too often cancelled/postponed, you may well find yourself on a ship with many workmen still laying carpet,  completing projects, some public rooms not open, etc.  There is also the huge issue that it takes time for a crew to come together and work like a team.  

I still remember when DW and I took the inaugural (actually did back to back to back) of the Enchantment of the Seas back in July of 1997.  During that first cruise (from Southampton) there were still workman all over the ship. large unpacked boxes of furniture, etc.  By the third cruise, most of the boxes had actually been unpacked, but workman were still all over the ship.  Carpet laying was an issue since (at least in those days) that does wonders for the air quality.  The really sad thing about that first voyage (which was only 6 days) was that RCCL really did nothing special to celebrate.  Why?  Because they had already had a very short (I think it was 2 or 3 days) "pre inaugural" for some VIPs and travel professionals (this was unannounced).  Although ours was the first voyage with paying passengers, I guess the company could care less.

Hank

6 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Never before used bed ☺️

Not always the case with Princess - the inaugural is usually for the first paying passengers but there is generally a preview cruise from the shipyard for press and big wigs who have to sleep somewhere! 😀

We have done 7 inaugurals across 5 different lines and love the excitement of it all

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

Inaugurals of a new class are especially fraught. Even with experienced crew, nothing is in the “right” place and something always gets overlooked in the provisioning.  Your guess as to whether it’s the specific kind of gin you prefer or the salad forks.  Really. 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:54 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes...I forgot about the white medallions...but they would just get lost in a sea of others that we've saved. (I'm *certain* that they will be worth BIG MONEY at some point...)

They had white medallions for the entire first year on Enchanted. I have 2. 

• Like 1

Sailed on Discovery’s first two cruises last Spring from LA & a certificate for the inaugural cruise was the only souvenir.

Our cabin was warm so we reported it to GSD & our cabin steward and it only got hotter on a cool day getting up to 84° inside our balcony cabin with the drapes closed before lowering after dinner. All of our DMW reservations made immediately when available disappeared & no tables were available at our reserved time which has happened to us on other Princess ships.

We wanted an inaugural season fridge magnet like we bought on Sky’s 3rd cruise…nope! I don’t recall any other inaugural souvenirs nor events when sailing from LA on Discovery only an hour from Princess HQ. The official dedication with VIPs was a couple of weeks after our cruise.

We won’t sail another inaugural or early first season cruise & would wait for months although maybe never again as we have no interest in the Sun-class ships…they’re not for us.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

This.  We were on the inaugural cruise of the Disney Magic in 1998.  The first voyage of Disney's first cruise ship. (The Big Red Boat doesn't count).  It happened by accident as we were booked in late July, early August at a time when the ship was scheduled to commence service in March.  And then that got pushed back to April.  And eventually to the end of July.  So while we expected to be four or five months into the routine, we ended up being first and it was a very shaky cruise.  Especially in the dining department.  Palo was terrific, but the effort to get a reservation was a nightmare.  Wasted 2 hours of my first day on board in a line.  We did get some prints suitable for framing, but I would never consider those fair trade for the quality of the cruise itself.

Disney Cruise Line Print - ID: julydisneyana20328 | Van Eaton Galleries

We were also there.   Food was pretty bad from what I remember.   

Truly I would not want to book an inaugural cruise. For one thing, what are the odds of it getting cancelled due to a delay in in being able to roll out the ship? I would rather let them work out the kinks on the first few sailings. We were on the 3rd or 4th sailing for Enchanted and it went pretty well. That was 'new'  enough for me!

Edited by Buckeye10640