Transatlantic cruise advice

magsuk

Hubby and I are considering a round-trip transatlantic cruise to the Caribbean in early 2025, possibly on Ventura, and wondered what experiences seasoned cruisers have had with the crossing?

Is it better to book a fly-cruise given the number of sea days for example or do you enjoy them? 

Our first cruise was onboard Ventura back in 2010!

Looking forward to reading your comments. TIA

You will find that most people on this forum love loads of sea days and some even do repositioning cruises where the transatlantic crossing, rather than ports, is the main attraction (they are also very cheap). However, for balance, we did a transatlantic once and wouldn’t repeat the experience!

I should stress that it wasn’t the Caribbean that we went to, it was New York (outward) and return from Quebec, so we didn’t have the benefit of warm weather for some of the crossing. However, we don’t sunbathe, so that didn’t make a huge difference to us.

We had 6 sea days in a row each way and it was way too much for us. We book cruises for the itinerary and like port intensive cruises. We don’t mind a couple of sea days before the first port (common on cruises from Southampton) and the odd one to break up the port days is fine, but our USA & Canada cruise taught us that 3 sea days in a row is our maximum. We were bored. There’s only so much food and drink you can consume and most of what P&O constitutes daytime entertainment isn’t remotely of interest to us. We liked the guest speakers and one or two daytime recitals, but combined these things only occupied a few hours a day. Beyond that we just had the sea to look at - no scenery! 

Unfortunately my wife cannot fly, but if she could we would consider a Caribbean fly-cruise, but not a round trip from the U.K. due to all the sea days.  As I say, I will be in a minority of one, but it’s important to hear both sides, as we didn’t realise that we wouldn’t like a transatlantic crossing until we did one!

• Like 4

I think it depends on what you want. 
If you don’t like flying, then cruising there and back is ideal.

If you don’t like a run of sea-days, then flying is the best option.

Personally, and if you are not time limited, I think cruising there and back is fabulous as I love the relaxing days at sea, chatting to others, reading, snoozing on deck etc etc.

I’ve done this journey from Southampton 6 or 7 times pre Covid and had all weathers and sea conditions.That part is pot luck!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever chose.

• Like 6

Happy medium for us. We have taken many transatlantic cruises but always a fly cruise. We love the relaxing sea days but hate the long overnight flight home. We won’t book another repositioning cruise that involves sailing from the UK and flying home. So this year we trying a transatlantic on Arvia. Flying out to Barbados and cruising back. As for weather, we’ll, like Angel57 we have had a varied experience. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 1

I think this is something that it very individual, and depends on personal tastes and circumstances.

From my point of view, I would say that going  on a Southampton round trip is preferable, but that's because I don't enjoy flying and have vowed not to fly again.

For me, the enjoyment of sea days is quite weather dependent, not because I do much sun bathing, but because it's easier to spend time outside walking around and spending time at the rail watching the ocean.  Apart from a couple of islands, we had about 10 sea days crossing the Pacific, and that is one of my favourite cruise memories as we had perfect sunshine and calm sea conditions.

Like Selbourne, we have also spent 6 days sailing back from Quebec, and it was foggy and dull - and frankly, it was a bit of a slog.

It helps if you can entertain yourself on sea days, for example I do lots of reading and word puzzles.  However, if it hadn't  been for a daily visit to the cinema when we came back from Quebec on Aurora, the days would have really dragged. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magsuk said:

Hubby and I are considering a round-trip transatlantic cruise to the Caribbean in early 2025, possibly on Ventura, and wondered what experiences seasoned cruisers have had with the crossing?

Is it better to book a fly-cruise given the number of sea days for example or do you enjoy them? 

Our first cruise was onboard Ventura back in 2010!

Looking forward to reading your comments. TIA

Glad I can answer this as I have been on this type of cruise you talk about. Three times in fact and we are due on another shortly. Due to the pandemic our 35 nighter was cancelled in 2021, then in 2022 due to changes made by P&O to the itinerary meaning all US destinations were eliminated we were given the option to have £400 extra onboard, cancel and get our money back or change to a future cruise which is why we go next month. In answer to your question my wife doesn't mind the sea days whereas I get a bit bored. Not so much on the way out, more the way home as it's six days to Ponta Del Garda from Port Canaveral and a further three days to Southampton. The wife reads, whereas I just look at the pictures. I can read newspapers and magazines from cover to cover, but fictional books are completely out for me. Sea days are spent in the crows nest, cinema, watching football, listening to speakers, having a snoozing, getting ready for the evening whilst having and G&T, go to a bar for another drink, then to dinner and a show or club afterwards. It really depends on how restless you are. If I could I would sail out and fly back. It really is a personal thing. 

• Like 2

The usual route P&O use is via the Azores, so the weather is cooler for the first few days. If you are on Avia or Iona, it is via Tenerife because of refueling LNG and the weather is better being further south. If this appeals, there is an Iona cruise in Jan 25, 35 nights return from Southampton to the Caribbean.

See you onboard.

We had our first Transatlantic cruise in January, on Arvia's maiden voyage to the Caribbean. We weren't sure how we would get on with the six sea days between Tenerife and St Maarten. As it happens, we loved it. The weather was beautiful and the sea was relatively clam, and we we so chilled out by the time we reached St Maarten. Thereafter, it was busy, busy, busy, with a port day everyday, followed by a very stressful flight home.

We are doing the same next March, but in reverse; flying out to Antigua and getting all the ports out of the way before cruising back. We're probably looking forward to that more, as we'll arrive back in Southampton relatively stress free. And, we'll be able to bring more booze back without worrying about weight or breakages!😉

• Like 1

We did one at Christmas/New Year a few years ago and loved it. We can happily entertain ourselves though… We were on Aurora. The days out let me completely wind down from work, I did choir and art (and walked/read/relaxed) Husband did quizzes, guest presenters and read/walked.  On the return, I did art and the rest of the time I enjoyed ‘me time’, walking/ reading / relaxing, husband was similar.  Maybe it’s different in that I’m working and I *really* needed that break. I am not someone to sit on a beach for hours, but loved the enforced relaxation.  The evening food does get ‘samey’ in the restaurant, and so we started going to the buffet for what turned out to be excellent alternative choices.  Not once were we ever bored. My husband was slightly concerned he would be, but not once was he and he agreed he’d do it again if we had the opportunity 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianI said:

You need to worry about UK customs though

Brian

Though I can't remember when I last saw any customs officers on returning to Southampton. (Not that I've ever been over or even anywhere near the duty-free limit.)

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

Though I can't remember when I last saw any customs officers on returning to Southampton. (Not that I've ever been over or even anywhere near the duty-free limit.)

They were certainly in evidence when we disembarked Iona on Saturday.

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that cruises returning from the Canaries get special attention,  but C&E are looking for tobacco/cigarettes rather than alcohol.

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

You will find that most people on this forum love loads of sea days and some even do repositioning cruises where the transatlantic crossing, rather than ports, is the main attraction (they are also very cheap). However, for balance, we did a transatlantic once and wouldn’t repeat the experience!

I should stress that it wasn’t the Caribbean that we went to, it was New York (outward) and return from Quebec, so we didn’t have the benefit of warm weather for some of the crossing. However, we don’t sunbathe, so that didn’t make a huge difference to us.

We had 6 sea days in a row each way and it was way too much for us. We book cruises for the itinerary and like port intensive cruises. We don’t mind a couple of sea days before the first port (common on cruises from Southampton) and the odd one to break up the port days is fine, but our USA & Canada cruise taught us that 3 sea days in a row is our maximum. We were bored. There’s only so much food and drink you can consume and most of what P&O constitutes daytime entertainment isn’t remotely of interest to us. We liked the guest speakers and one or two daytime recitals, but combined these things only occupied a few hours a day. Beyond that we just had the sea to look at - no scenery! 

Unfortunately my wife cannot fly, but if she could we would consider a Caribbean fly-cruise, but not a round trip from the U.K. due to all the sea days.  As I say, I will be in a minority of one, but it’s important to hear both sides, as we didn’t realise that we wouldn’t like a transatlantic crossing until we did one!

You are not alone, we can just cope with one or two sea days, as I suffer from sea sickness if we get a strong swell (I can no longer the various medications due to incompatibility with tablets I take). One of the main reasons we tend to do fly cruises. 

Having done several TA, for myself and wife, it's the perfect cruise.

We've done cruises with multiple port days and we find them exhausting, up and off the ship, sight seeing, back, change for dinner.... wash, rinse and repeat, feel like you're always on the go. Yes you don't have to get off the ship, but if you've made the effort to go, why not see the sights of the port.

The long sea days give you the opportunity to enjoy the ship, catch all the things going on board and do all the activities, oh and of course eat and drink until you burst.

Going for Europe to either the Caribbean or the US in the autumn months usually means the weather get warm if you're taking the southern route, and the seas can be a bit calmer. We've done the northern route once, and it was bit more lumpy, but still enjoyable.

One thing that you will notice, as you cross the Atlantic the clocks go back, therefore you get multiple 25 hour days, good excuse to have an extra hour in your bed or visit the buffet/restaurant twice for breakfast.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, mps69_1999 said:

One thing that you will notice, as you cross the Atlantic the clocks go back, therefore you get multiple 25 hour days, good excuse to have an extra hour in your bed or visit the buffet/restaurant twice for breakfast.

Of course, there's that too. Coming back next year, we'll have several shorter days, but at least we won't suffer the jetlag we do when flying.

• Like 4

The Caribbean route is obviously preferable to North America, for weather reasons, and if I were to choose which way to fly it would be out rather than back.   I think that makes sense for the enjoyment, but of course you do get the shorter days  .But to sail both ways is nicest, unless you don't relish several days at sea at a time.

I don't fly, so the only way to get across the Atlantic is to cruise both ways. We have only done it once, thus far (have another trip booked for next year), and really enjoyed it. 

We went to the Eastern seaboard of Canada so took the northern route and it was certainly cool. Next trip is to New York, Boston etc so it will be more of the same. 

There was lots of entertainment on board, including the usual quizzes, bridge, choir (bring back 'proper' choir sessions ASAP!), talks etc. We also had jewellery making sessions and a murder mystery (run by a retired police officer who also did some very good talks). 

My theory is that the brain knows how many sea days are due and is ready to get off at the end, be that 2 days or 7. It was great to arrive at ports well rested and we appreciated the lack of jet-lag when we got back, even if the run of 23 hour days eastbound was a bit tiring (I usually have an afternoon snooze anyway).