Personal cups

Ombud

Can I use my own cup onboard? More specifically, if I bring my own mug into MDR when going for breakfast can I use it instead of those TINY 4 oz cups they use?? I 9ften feel like asking them to just leave the carafe but this could be a good workaround 

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Can I use my own cup onboard? More specifically, if I bring my own mug into MDR when going for breakfast can I use it instead of those TINY 4 oz cups they use?? I 9ften feel like asking them to just leave the carafe but this could be a good workaround 

I took my 20 ounce mug!!!!  No problems

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure.... just make sure if you decide to also use it in the buffet, pour whatever you're drinking into one of their containers first and then fill your mug.  I always make a big show of it when filling my water bottle so I don't get any hairy eyeballs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Yes. Just have them fill it for you. That’s a great idea. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

can I use it instead of those TINY 4 oz cups they use?

we've been doing it for 10+ years. I am surprised you haven't been, seeing how you cruise much more than we do.

While we use these at home:

Libbey Kona Glass Coffee Mugs, 16-ounce, Set of 6

We use these on the cruise (20 oz):

Contigo Snapseal Insulated Travel Mug, 20 oz, Juniper

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I don't know if they still do it or not, but bringing a full carafe and leaving it used to be standard practice on Norwegian. That was really nice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we've been doing it for 10+ years. I am surprised you haven't been, seeing how you cruise much more than we do.

As long as i could buy or trade for a coffee card it never crossed my mind. Now that that 'may or probably' has been eliminated, I'm seriously considering it. I'm rather ordinary ... simple well brewed coffee with cream (I ask for it and definitely can tell the difference) or steeped tea both w/o sugar or just plain water are my go-tos. Packages loaded (overloaded) with processed sugar are IMHO yucky 

• Like 2

My husband has taken his thermos cup on several cruises and they fill it at the IC no problem.  Now that I've gotten word from my pvp that the coffee package has been discontinued, we'll definitely each be taking a thermal mug along with a box of Starbucks Via in case the regular coffee is undrinkable. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ombud said:

As long as i could buy or trade for a coffee card it never crossed my mind. Now that that 'may or probably' has been eliminated, I'm seriously considering it. I'm rather ordinary ... simple well brewed coffee with cream (I ask for it and definitely can tell the difference) or steeped tea both w/o sugar or just plain water are my go-tos. Packages loaded (overloaded) with processed sugar are IMHO yucky 

Good Brewed coffee is not fleet wide.  The Grand had horrible coffee in the MDR.  

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good Brewed coffee is not fleet wide.  The Grand had horrible coffee in the MDR.  

I had thought that most coffee not at the IC was made from syrup. That would be Buffet and MDR but I may be mistaken

37 minutes ago, Ombud said:

As long as i could buy or trade for a coffee card it never crossed my mind.

ah, that explains it. We've never had coffee cards. The teeny tiny cups at the buffet and MDR are driving us crazy.

We drink a ton of hot tea at home and we use rather large mugs for it.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

36 minutes ago, memoak said:

I had thought that most coffee not at the IC was made from syrup. That would be Buffet and MDR but I may be mistaken

Starting with Regal and Royal, syrup was out and brewed was in in the Lido.

Not sure about the dining rooms.

People always say princess reads cruise critic.

It only took 20+ years of complaining to change...

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I’ve been bringing my aeropress, ceramic mug and my preferred ground coffee. I use the breakfast hanging door card to order a large carafe of extra hot water and a glass of milk to be delivered in the morning. I make my Americano and it’s been working out great. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Starting with Regal and Royal, syrup was out and brewed was in in the Lido.

Not sure about the dining rooms.

People always say princess reads cruise critic.

It only took 20+ years of complaining to change...

As long as bean counters are reading ... the preferable alternative is to buy coffee / tea individually at IC if I can't get / buy a coffee-only pkg under $50 for the duration of the voyage (not per day) and DIY another shore excursion.  I have a budget ...

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

As long as bean counters are reading ... the preferable alternative is to buy coffee / tea individually at IC if I can't get / buy a coffee-only pkg under $50 for the duration of the voyage (not per day) and DIY another shore excursion.  I have a budget ...

those 'bean counters' are highly trained professionals with CPA, MBA etc degrees and experience.

they are not interested in individual wants or needs, but what they can do for the 'masses' that potentially buy the packages and improve Princess bottom line for their stockholders.

• Haha 1

I have been bringing a 20 oz tea mug with me on cruises for well over a decade.  I decorated it with that glitter glue one Christmas, with my name, so that no one innocently thinks it is a public mug and walks off with it.

At the breakfast buffet, I fill the mug with hot water and tea and leave it claiming my table as I go get food.  By the time I return with my breakfast, the tea has steeped and I am good to start breakfast.

The only downside is that I need to wash my mug -- the only dish I wash on a cruise ship.

19 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I have been bringing a 20 oz tea mug with me on cruises for well over a decade.  I decorated it with that glitter glue one Christmas, with my name, so that no one innocently thinks it is a public mug and walks off with it.

At the breakfast buffet, I fill the mug with hot water and tea and leave it claiming my table as I go get food.  By the time I return with my breakfast, the tea has steeped and I am good to start breakfast.

The only downside is that I need to wash my mug -- the only dish I wash on a cruise ship.

Great idea. Kinda like when I travel to Europe and always bring a top sheet. 

We took our insulated Bodum coffee cups on the 3-nighter to Rotterdam in 2021 but the IC refused to fill them, they told us it was agaisnt H&S rules and we had to use the disposable cups instead. This was just a couple months after the post-covid restart and there were still lots of restrictions in place, so maybe it was because of that. Just wondering whether it's worth packing them for our med cruise on Enchanted this May or not?