Mafia style baggaging in Miami RCI terminal?

Currently on TA Symphony. We boarded the SY March 9th in Miami. Our hotel shuttle service brought us directly to the luggage belt in the arrival area. The shuttle employee unloaded all baggage and put it right in front of the running conveyor belt.

After tipping our handler, another baggage "dispatcher", white helmet, probably supervisor (unionist?), told us to tip him or the luggage will not be loaded . A total of 4 couples' luggage was put aside and only a forced tipping made him move to order a low rank baggage handler to lay the luggage onto the conveyor belt. He did this repeatedly with 3 follow-on shuttle buses. Is this the norm today with RCI Miami terminal? If RCI only would read this thread - I took crystal clear photos of the mafia-style  "supervisor baggage dispatcher" and the put hostage luggage for their convenience. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Did you notify anyone at the port or on the ship about this? What did they say?

Also you might consider rewording the end of your last sentence. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. yes guest service onboard, but no interest to pursue

2. ...together with the luggage that was taken hostage. Pictures available for RCI

Edited by Kbonner

Just now, Kbonner said:

1. yes guest service onboard, but no interest to pursue

2. ...together with the luggage that was taken hostage. Piictures available for RCI

I would not expect Royal Caribbean to find out about this or do anything about it because of you posting it here, if that is what you are hoping. You might consider notifying Royal Caribbean directly instead of notifying someone on the ship.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Currently on TA Symphony. We boarded the SY March 9th in Miami. Our hotel shuttle service brought us directly to the luggage belt in the arrival area. The shuttle employee unloaded all baggage and put it right in front of the running conveyor belt.

After tipping our handler, another baggage "dispatcher", white helmet, probably supervisor (unionist?), told us to tip him or the luggage will not be loaded . A total of 4 couples' luggage was put aside and only a forced tipping made him move to order a low rank baggage handler to lay the luggage onto the conveyor belt. He did this repeatedly with 3 follow-on shuttle buses. Is this the norm today with RCI Miami terminal? If RCI only would read this thread - I took crystal clear photos of the mafia-style  "supervisor baggage dispatcher" and the put hostage luggage for their convenience. 

Your tip to the shuttle driver has nothing to do with the handling of your luggage to your cabin. Tipping shouldn't be required, but why not them but yes to shuttle driver?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Your tip to the shuttle driver has nothing to do with the handling of your luggage to your cabin. Tipping shouldn't be required, but why not them but yes to shuttle driver?

Yes.  This is true.  I have heard stories of the Miami porters hiding bags from passengers who failed to tip.  Shouldn't be required but be sure you tip both the shuttle driver and the porter.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It doesn't sound like the issue is whether or not to tip the porter. It sounds like the issue is that the supervisor threatened that the luggage would not be delivered if he wasn't tipped.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would have tipped the shuttle driver and the baggage handler at the port as they were the one to put the baggage onboard the ship. A tip is optional though to either. If you want to follow up and complain about the threat you should complain to the Port of Miami. You were interacting with their employee. RCI seeing the pictures probably won’t accomplish much as they don’t work for RCI. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Kbonner said:

Well, you are talking about a Teamsters Union job in Miami …

I doubt RCI wants to touch it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I would have talked to someone at the port... 
I think they are subcontracted. Yes it would be nice if RC would step up, but it is the Port that needs to be made aware of the situation 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Well, you are talking about a Teamsters Union job in Miami …

I doubt RCI wants to touch it.

I've never had an issue with those teamsters at the Port of Miami but I've had lots of issues over the years with those non-unionized Girl Guide parents strong arming me into buying those darn cookies! 🍪= 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

This is why we like boarding after 1pm.  Or 2pm.  If the person said that to us I'd say fine.  Give me my bags and I'll take care of them myself.  We recently loaded and unloaded our bags off a shuttle at the airport.  Driver did nothing.  But asked us for a tip.  And no, we gave him nothing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posting this here won't alert Royal, but I think it is important to alert cruisers to always tip the Miami porters. And use Apple airtags.

A friend of mine didn't get her bag last year for a Miami cruise.  After a search was initiated, it was found in a corner of the terminal.  Apparently she didn't tip sufficiently.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Posting this here won't alert Royal, but I think it is important to alert cruisers to always tip the Miami porters. And use Apple airtags.

A friend of mine didn't get her bag last year for a Miami cruise.  After a search was initiated, it was found in a corner of the terminal.  Apparently she didn't tip sufficiently.  

If they cant do their job that they are employed for then they should be sacked. A tip should not dictate if your luggage is put on board or not. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

If they cant do their job that they are employed for then they should be sacked. A tip should not dictate if your luggage is put on board or not. 

You are undoubtedly correct.  But re-read the title to this thread.  

• Like 1

I think the simple answer is either tip the porter or carry on your luggage with you when you board. I always tip $5 per bag when dropping off luggage with a porter and have never had an issue with luggage getting to my cabin in 60 plus cruises. 

As others have previously stated, this is not an RCI issue. I highly doubt anyone is going to change the culture of porters expecting to be tipped, which goes on at more ports than just Port Miami. 

2 hours ago, Kbonner said:

I've sailed out Miami many times most recently Oasis December 4 and not even close to what you are describing.  Did you report the issue with anyone from Royal.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

And people get upset of people carrying on their own luggage....

Who gets upset about people carrying on their own luggage? I have always carried mine on, and if I am upsetting people by minding my own business, then I guess I am having a better start to my cruises than I thought. 🤣

• Like 4