The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is I am in Control Day, National Doctor's Day, and Take a Walk in the Park Day

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Asparagus Ham Dinner
Drink of the Day - Ruby Sparkler
Wine of the Day - Dry River Pinot Noir Martinborough 2021
Destination of the Day - Katakolon, Olympia, Greece

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Panama Canal eta 3-31

Koningsdam

Dry Dock Vigor Ship Yard until 4/12

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 0800-1600

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 4-01

Oosterdam

Callao-Lima, Peru 

Rotterdam

Nassau, Bahamas 0700-1500

Volendam

At Sea destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 3-31 

Zaandam

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Dakar, Senegal 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Ishigaki, Japan eta 3-31 0900-1900

image.thumb.png.94e230a9ea405ba114a7a60fa1ad03be.png

image.thumb.png.72ac310421bf279d5d2b24d91f66d3df.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

RMLincoln’s DH recovering from eye surgery 

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital with pneumonia, improving, out of ICU

Smitty34877 losing the aide for Tana

Pope Francis hospitalized with respiratory illness

Nashville school shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine/Tornado victims in Mississippi and Alabama

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Bennybear’s test results

Marshhawk’s abnormal lung scan and COPD

NextOne needing valve surgery

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Happy Birthday Suslor (Susan)!

Happy Birthday cruzn single (Mary Kay)!

Happy Anniversary USN59-79 (Ray and Sara)!

Marshhawk’s friend Jesse’s tests showing him cancer free

Mamaofami seeing better 

Two new eaglets at the Hays Eagle Nest

Many Dailyites with upcoming cruises

3 Days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Reflection 4/2 to 4/9)

3 Days for cruising sister’s trip with DSIL to Tucson

4 Days for Overhead Fred Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam 4/3 to 5/6)

Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Cruzn single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Let’s take a walk in the park day. My neighbor just retired and just started a long walk in the park; walking the entire Appalachian Trail, 2200 miles. He asked me, “Hay, RedneckBob, would you like to join me? “, for which I replied, “No way, my back pack would not be large enough to carry enough toilet paper for five months.”

I am in Control Day. As you can tell by my posts on this thread that I am always out of control! 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 18

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good to me.  I have leftover ham thawing and we do have asparagus.  Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the early booking bonus for fall 2024.  I booked the NA aft corner cabin to celebrate my 65th birthday. I hope everyone has a good day today.

With seven cats in the house I’m never in control.😆

image.png.8027eb4170851b599981968829ea9a34.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 14

Good morning from Daccar, Senegal.

About an hour ago the Captain announced that due to unrest in the city that could impact our visit we would only be making a service call. Guests and Crew are unable to leave the ship and as soon as the provisions that are supposed to be loaded are, we will leave for the Canary Islands.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  I have a temp of 42F, clear skies and I can feel the coolness in the house.  Later today will be 71 and sunshine.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for today's Fleet Report and Daily.  We have a thought provoking quote from none other than Albert Einstein.  Today is I Am In Control Day, and I like to think so but doubt it.  Many of us can celebrate National Doctor's Day.  We appreciate them almost every day.  And then Take A Walk In the Park Day.  First I have to take a walk on my treadmill.  Then I'll think about a park.

The menu suggestion is Asparagus Ham Dinner.  Ham is very popular this week with Easter coming at us very soon.  I'm sure Debbie @dfish has some great recipes for that.  The Ruby Sparkler sounds pretty but does it taste good?  Dixie @summer slope will let us know.🍹  And the Pinot Noir will make most of you happy.  Thanks to Ann @cat shepard for helping us to learn about this particular one.🍷

Thanks to Vaness @JazzyV for her stellar work keeping the lists updated.  Thanks to her we know that we want to wish Susan @Suslor and Mary Kay @cruzn single a very Happy Birthday!  Also we want to wish Ray and Sara @USN59-79 a wonderful anniversary today.  To continue that theme, congrats to everyone here celebrating a happy event.🥂🎉  Unfortunately there is always a Care list and we pray for recovery and warm wishes to everyone who is suffering from poor health or tragic events in their lives.  Also prayers to those in Nashville who lost someone in the school shooting the other day as well as the entire community.  🙏

Our destination today Katakolon, Olympia, Greece is a nice one.  When we went we stayed in the small town itself which was pretty enough.  Next time I'll head to Olympia.  The dates we had Katakolon, Greece were June 18, 2021 and March 23, 2022.  Unfortunately I was on my way to St. Louis to attend my late DSister's funeral on June 18, 2021 so I really didn't have time to post all my photos from Katakolon that day.  And on March 23, 2022 I simply reposted the lone photo I did post earlier.  Maybe later today I can hunt for a few more, but really I usually don't have to.  So many of you have great photos of Katakolon and Olympia that it won't be necessary.  So here are the links for everyone for you to retrieve your photos from back then.

A remembrance of our 2014 Prinsendam Black Sea and Holy Land cruises.  DH enjoyed a beer somewhere along here and I enjoyed the wifi. 

Katakolonenhance

I see Rich has announced they will not be staying for a visit in Dakar, Senegal today.  I can understand that because I didn't feel very safe there in 2018.  The Canary Islands will be a breath of fresh air so smooth sailing to the Zuiderdam!

On a refreshing note, I would like to present photos of DD's Spring/Easter Celebration tree.  She is much too busy this spring to change the decorations so will wait for Cinco de Mayo.  So here are photos of last year's tree.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzqddIojehi5naWW6xGujTKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647952821

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNZ2JNP2GQaPWgU4aaYJUK4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647952821

I hope everyone here has a Thrilling Thursday!  Stay safe and enjoy the day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

It is raining and 52°F here.

Thank you for posting today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Respect for our doctors.

It is relaxing taking a walk in the park.

Mind provoking quote.

Today's food and wine sound good.

We have been to the small port of katakolon on a few cruises.

Good wishes to everyone who is unwell and bon voyage to all those cruising.

I wish everyone a safe and nice day.

Graham x

• Like 20

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I have a temp of 42F, clear skies and I can feel the coolness in the house.  Later today will be 71 and sunshine.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for today's Fleet Report and Daily.  We have a thought provoking quote from none other than Albert Einstein.  Today is I Am In Control Day, and I like to think so but doubt it.  Many of us can celebrate National Doctor's Day.  We appreciate them almost every day.  And then Take A Walk In the Park Day.  First I have to take a walk on my treadmill.  Then I'll think about a park.

The menu suggestion is Asparagus Ham Dinner.  Ham is very popular this week with Easter coming at us very soon.  I'm sure Debbie @dfish has some great recipes for that.  The Ruby Sparkler sounds pretty but does it taste good?  Dixie @summer slope will let us know.🍹  And the Pinot Noir will make most of you happy.  Thanks to Ann @cat shepard for helping us to learn about this particular one.🍷

Thanks to Vaness @JazzyV for her stellar work keeping the lists updated.  Thanks to her we know that we want to wish Susan @Suslor and Mary Kay @cruzn single a very Happy Birthday!  Also we want to wish Ray and Sara @USN59-79 a wonderful anniversary today.  To continue that theme, congrats to everyone here celebrating a happy event.🥂🎉  Unfortunately there is always a Care list and we pray for recovery and warm wishes to everyone who is suffering from poor health or tragic events in their lives.  Also prayers to those in Nashville who lost someone in the school shooting the other day as well as the entire community.  🙏

Our destination today Katakolon, Olympia, Greece is a nice one.  When we went we stayed in the small town itself which was pretty enough.  Next time I'll head to Olympia.  The dates we had Katakolon, Greece were June 18, 2021 and March 23, 2022.  Unfortunately I was on my way to St. Louis to attend my late DSister's funeral on June 18, 2021 so I really didn't have time to post all my photos from Katakolon that day.  And on March 23, 2022 I simply reposted the lone photo I did post earlier.  Maybe later today I can hunt for a few more, but really I usually don't have to.  So many of you have great photos of Katakolon and Olympia that it won't be necessary.  So here are the links for everyone for you to retrieve your photos from back then.

A remembrance of our 2014 Prinsendam Black Sea and Holy Land cruises.  DH enjoyed a beer somewhere along here and I enjoyed the wifi. 

Katakolonenhance

I see Rich has announced they will not be staying for a visit in Dakar, Senegal today.  I can understand that because I didn't feel very safe there in 2018.  The Canary Islands will be a breath of fresh air so smooth sailing to the Zuiderdam!

On a refreshing note, I would like to present photos of DD's Spring/Easter Celebration tree.  She is much too busy this spring to change the decorations so will wait for Cinco de Mayo.  So here are photos of last year's tree.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzqddIojehi5naWW6xGujTKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647952821

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNZ2JNP2GQaPWgU4aaYJUK4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647952821

I hope everyone here has a Thrilling Thursday!  Stay safe and enjoy the day.

Nice tree! May I ask how many of these trees does your DD have? This is not the first I have seen!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great day!

Here are some observations from our cruise last week.

General Observations – Rule breakers…

The staff did a great job with rule breakers. I observed three instances to share.

1)      Kids in the adult pool were reported by someone. Two staff members asked them where their parents were, and they said they were in the other pool, staff told them they were not allowed in the Adult pool without parents present and asked them to leave. They did after being told the rules.

2)      People smoking outside of the smoking area. We were sitting in the smoking section of the aft Seaview pool area and staff members told two adults who were smoking by the aft railing that they could not smoke there. They needed to smoke in the smoking section, and they complied.

3)      We were having dinner at Canaletto’s and observed the manager informing two diners (one wearing shorts) as they sat down that they were not dressed appropriately and were not following guidelines for the restaurant. The husband made some unpleasant comments to the manager and the wife grabbed his arm and forced him to leave.

A couple of general observations about Canaletto – HAL needs to do something about this restaurant. We ate there three times, all very good to excellent meals, wonderful staff, and exceptional service. We noticed almost every night, people would walk in, with their buffet food and just sit down and start eating like it’s part of the lido seating area. The manager cannot greet everyone as they walk to the entrance, they have other duties, so they are not to blame. She or one of the staff members would explain this was a restaurant and they needed reservations. Maybe a door of some sort would help.  

We talked with the Canaletto manager almost every night. Her (and one of the servers’) background with HAL was from the Pinnacle grill and she was there to help change the Canaletto dining experience. She was trying her best and was a wonderful person. We did find out she will be on the NA on her next contract, so we should see her on our March 2024 cruise.    

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Everything is white here again, Old Man Winter is not going away.  It's just a light dusting, but still, I can't help wonder when spring will arrive.  I guess that means I am NOT in control, despite it being "I am in control" day.   A big thank you to doctors.  I'd like to take a walk in the park, but will settle for taking Bertie for a walk on around the neighbourhood.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks in advance for recipes.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

We were in Katakolon many years ago on the Eurodam, I wonder if I can find pictures.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, brrr it’s cold in Boston this morning 32F.  Hooray for all of the doctors who give lives of service to keep us or make us well.  A walk in the Boston Public Garden sounds like just the thing today.  I love today’s quote an active imaginative is a wonderful thing.  I’ll skip the meal suggestion today, too much salt two days in a row.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 24

57 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Nice tree! May I ask how many of these trees does your DD have? This is not the first I have seen!

RNB, DD has one tree that sits in her foyer all year long.  She removes the decorations for each season or celebration and redecorates it for the next one.  The photos today are from last spring because she is so busy with her teaching job, 2 dogs (and doggy classes), preparing to go on vacation next week for spring break, her 14 year old's preparations for joining the football team at school, and the dreaded State testing coming up for her students next month.  State testing is harder on the teachers than the students, believe me!  There is a lot of pressure put on the teachers to get high scores and with some students you can work your rear off and they never catch on.  Sad to say that but it's true sometimes.  She takes it very seriously.  

Anyway, no time for a new decor this spring so we will have to wait for the Cinco de Mayo tree.  Thank you for your interest RNB!  

I've finished breakfast and will head to the gym next for my leg exercises.  Talk to you all later.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning on a cold day so far,only thirty degrees here. We are all wearing our big coats here,even the teenager!

Happy Anniversary to Ray and Sarah.  @USN59-79. Enjoy your cruise as well.

Happy Birthday to @cruzn single and enjoy your cruise also.

I try so hard to control things and have learned repeatedly that I cannot. 
We are very grateful for the good doctors we have had and for the two in the family.My DB finally retired at age 75 only two weeks ago. He already sounds like a different person on the phone.I think it was very hard for him to let it go.

I used to take the dogs to one of our nice parks to walk and stopped a few months ago. I think we will try that again when I no longer need the big coat.

Today we have no appointments but a few remain for next week. DD will be able to help as she does not have to travel downtown to her job next week. Both she and DSIL had to return to their respective offices for several days in a row. They had been going in once every two weeks up until now. Everything changes.

Take care and enjoy the day.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi, for making sure our gathering place is posted each day!  Rich, thank you for gathering the info and setting it up so it is easy to share. About 10 degrees cooler this morning, but it looks to be a gorgeous day!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping track of us so carefully. Thank you Dailyites for making this such a great place to visit, share and contribute. 

@Suslor Susan & @cruzn single Mary Kay - hope your new years are filled with laughter, love, great health and a cruise or two!

21515ED3-3A0B-4578-B319-298700F83711.jpeg.7a0cbb51687b15942e6c95e2a3948258.jpeg

@USN59-79 Ray & Sara Happy 60th!

I had a huge success at my garden center and left with just four small areas to fill. I know what I want, but the center was either out of them, or I wasn’t sure about something. Anyone in the Garden Club have experience with crape myrtles? I am looking for one with deep red flowers and found three options. Each claims to be the deepest, darkest red 🤔. They are Dallas, Dynamite and Red Hot.  Online pictures do not help. And the garden center had Red Hot trees, but they weren’t in bloom & the picture on the tag showed orange/red flowers. Not what I want. 

Just Zumba, Bindi walks, planting and salad prep. I am hosting dinner tomorrow and am making the salmon with strawberry relish dish. @ger_77 Gerry, thank you for the tip about adding more basil. I like basil, too. 

1468DF64-A9B8-4AE6-96DA-49610DFEAF63.jpeg.c9ddf29bf94ed4e877e5b934c441a0c7.jpeg

9E950275-4333-4DA0-AE4C-0245C295AD70.jpeg.0d7be098924ba49b930760781149d0e6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Dry River Pinot Noir Martinborough 2021

Another elusive New Zealand wine. I could not find any critic reviews of this vintage, but consumers really enjoy it. The average Vivino rating is 4.2 out of 5. Lots of mentions of blueberry and plum. The consensus indicates it is dry and on the light side. Definitely a favorite wine. I also could not find any online distributors that ship to me - for this vintage. But there were several that offered the 2018 vintage with prices starting at $75.19 + shipping. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

Happy almost Friday.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I love walks in the woods but have not been since my fall.  I'd like to be in control but it seems more unlikely, and am very indebted to a number of Doctors.  I have not been to Katakolon but love the Einstein quote.  It's cold again today.   I'd prefer the ham without the asparagus.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 30, 2017:

dishes30.jpg

Prayers for calm and peace in Dakar and Senegal.  Sad that the Zuiderdam hod to make the stop just for supplies today.

Roy

• Like 26

Ruby Sparkler cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part fresh Grapefruit Juice
1/2 part Lemon Juice
3/4 parts Simple Syrup
8 Raspberries
1 Lemon Wheel

Instructions
In a mixing glass, muddle five raspberries. Add remaining ingredients and shake. Strain before serving over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with skewered raspberries and a lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 8.01.47 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8