The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 3rd, 2023

Good Monday morning!  Sorry I missed yesterday, we got an early start to day of activities and it was time to fix dinner by the time we returned.   Thanks for all of the reports and comestibles each day and you all are early birds to get all these posted!    Prayers for the tornado victims, everyone on our Care list, @smitty34877 with all of your caregiver issues with Tana and of course for her, and the people of Ukraine.    

I have been to Boston many times as it was the portal to get to Maine when my sisters both lived there.  Many happy memories with the photos you shared Sandi.  In the 80s very few photos were taken but I appreciate the photos to bring back happy memories.   

Today I have to head downtown Kalamazoo to work on a brief garden club project planting the planters in front of a bank.  They reached out to our garden council to decorate them every quarter and we get a nice payment for our time that goes to our general fund.  Thankfully it will be a decent day.   We just finished turning on the outdoor faucets so I can get my powerwasher out to do the rear deck tomorrow.  

@Overhead Fred Bon Voyage!  

Premium Vector | Bon voyage postcard

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for starting us off, Sandi! And never missing a beat with your Port of the Day info and pictures! Rich, thank you for ensuring the Report & Daily can continue while you tour the World! Vanessa, thank you for capturing & sharing our events! We are a busy group. 

It was 70 with a slight breeze when Bindi and I headed out earlier. And there was quite a marine layer, that is just now beginning to burn off. Just sitting down with coffee outside and the birds are singing up a storm! The deer are starting to wander through for a drink. Mom & the twins just visited my back yard. Bindi is so good not to move or bark, even when they wander close to check her out. 😎

Gym, Bindi walks, chores will fill my day. 

I could see @RedneckBob using this joke!

D9566D19-298C-44CD-B90D-D151E7C80EEC.jpeg.c6e40a93c5b6814047a5fdb279a4c8c6.jpeg

Easter is coming…

3BC26482-010D-4833-8E69-F01B561774A9.jpeg.0506588f235770a652d9a6f117665bb1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Los Vascos Chardonnay, Colchagua Valley, Chile

I used the 2022 vintage info, since I actually found a review for this one! Doesn’t sound too oaky, and it is widely available. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $7.95.

Wine Enthusiast Review

This refreshing everyday Chardonnay offers notes of grapefruit and peach followed by hints of smoke. Vibrant acidity makes the wine easy to drink on a hot summer day. 

Your right. Instead of raining money it raining jelly bellies! 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think if people stayed home from work because it wasn't fun, we'd all be in trouble!  I'd love to find a rainbow, but the only place I'll see one today is in photographs.  We have a famous Tweed from our city - Shannon Tweed, wife of Kiss mogul Gene Simmons.

It seems like Winter and Spring are having a custody battle and neither one really wants us.  We're back in the snow and freezing temps again - yesterday was so miserable as we were trying to get things done.  There was more snow overnight and I just heard on the radio that the major highway just west of us is closed due to ice and snow.  Argh.

@smitty34877sending good vibes for your DH's appointments today.

@Overhead FredBon Voyage!

Although the weather was uncooperative, we had a very satisfying day yesterday.  We packed up the back of the car with all the things we had collected from friends and neighbours, made a couple of stops for gift cards, and went over to our new young Ukrainian family's apartment to drop them off.  When you walk into a basement suite that only has a beat up couch, 2 kitchen chairs and 1 pot to heat water on the stove, it really puts it all into perspective.  They thought they were lucky they had a couch.  We brought all the things into their place, bundled them up into the car and off we went for some shopping.  After stopping at a few stores, and having fed them a good lunch at a family style restaurant, we headed back to their place and helped them set up air beds, a folding table with kitchen stools, and numerous appliances for their kitchen.  We bought the little girl (who is a beautiful little blonde) some cuddly stuffies, and she was so happy that she went to her suitcase and brought out a teeny tiny little Paw Patrol figure and put it in my pocket.  She wanted to give me something to say thank you, and that was all she had.  I have to tell you, I held it together until I got into the car, then I burst into tears.   We won't see much of them this week, as they have appointments with various government offices, etc., and we're going away, but we'll be together again when we get back.

Today DH has a coffee date with a friend, and I'm going to get started on making a big batch of porcupine balls to take with us to Calgary.  I'll brown them up first, freeze them on baking sheets and then will put them into zip top bags for storage and transport.  Having said that, although I know we'd enjoy today's menu suggestion, we'll be having porcupine balls, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers to all who are in need, cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Running late! If laundry is work then I’m going to my job. I went to college in Boston so I’m fairly familiar with this wonderful city. My first military assignment was on Cape Cod at Otis AFB so spent some grand years in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Will revisit on the Volendam 2025 Canada to Florida repositioning cruise.

Thanks for the report. Missing @kazu Jacqui hope all is well.

Have a great week.

Bruce

image.jpeg.12c2cd2647f48b564d9ccae71da9ce3b.jpegimage.jpeg.5902a447a8760046229aa69bc6d938d8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3c8ec02f0b5ef331ce6cae8341163ced.jpegimage.jpeg.3cedeb2697a221a07b950a2b0b5100ba.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a275d1e91076b560b7d7f3c4c19eda4c.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 20

Good morning all,

We have low clouds and a cool day in the making. My dad has an appointment for oral surgery today. Then it’s errands ( a major Costco run to stock him up before we leave), and packing. I think I hit the jackpot yesterday when I stopped at TJ max on a lark and there was a lovely mid sized suitcase in purple! On sale. I’ve been questioning the viability of my current suitcase, so I bought it.

@dfish That cod in foil looks great. I added it to the “coming attractions” section of my planner.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23

27 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think if people stayed home from work because it wasn't fun, we'd all be in trouble!  I'd love to find a rainbow, but the only place I'll see one today is in photographs.  We have a famous Tweed from our city - Shannon Tweed, wife of Kiss mogul Gene Simmons.

It seems like Winter and Spring are having a custody battle and neither one really wants us.  We're back in the snow and freezing temps again - yesterday was so miserable as we were trying to get things done.  There was more snow overnight and I just heard on the radio that the major highway just west of us is closed due to ice and snow.  Argh.

@smitty34877sending good vibes for your DH's appointments today.

@Overhead FredBon Voyage!

Although the weather was uncooperative, we had a very satisfying day yesterday.  We packed up the back of the car with all the things we had collected from friends and neighbours, made a couple of stops for gift cards, and went over to our new young Ukrainian family's apartment to drop them off.  When you walk into a basement suite that only has a beat up couch, 2 kitchen chairs and 1 pot to heat water on the stove, it really puts it all into perspective.  They thought they were lucky they had a couch.  We brought all the things into their place, bundled them up into the car and off we went for some shopping.  After stopping at a few stores, and having fed them a good lunch at a family style restaurant, we headed back to their place and helped them set up air beds, a folding table with kitchen stools, and numerous appliances for their kitchen.  We bought the little girl (who is a beautiful little blonde) some cuddly stuffies, and she was so happy that she went to her suitcase and brought out a teeny tiny little Paw Patrol figure and put it in my pocket.  She wanted to give me something to say thank you, and that was all she had.  I have to tell you, I held it together until I got into the car, then I burst into tears.   We won't see much of them this week, as they have appointments with various government offices, etc., and we're going away, but we'll be together again when we get back.

Today DH has a coffee date with a friend, and I'm going to get started on making a big batch of porcupine balls to take with us to Calgary.  I'll brown them up first, freeze them on baking sheets and then will put them into zip top bags for storage and transport.  Having said that, although I know we'd enjoy today's menu suggestion, we'll be having porcupine balls, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers to all who are in need, cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Bless you for your kindness and love for mankind.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Rather than more tourist photos of Boston I will post some of personal interest.  The first (perhaps only) ones will be from my second cruise on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore.  I learned that the day we were in Boston would be my brother's 50-year Harvard reunion and I was invited to join him.  Harvard graduations are in a big plaza called Tercentenary Theater and the tradition is that the sun always shines on graduation day.  Sadly, that does not extend to reunions:

tercentenary.jpg

The good news is that the reunion was in the tent at the back of the above photo:  His significant other took a rare photo of the two of us together:

rogerme.jpg

On a more nautical note the Harvard Library is a gift from a Titanic Survivor and dedicated to his memory:

widener.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Gerry @ger_77 I love the stories you've told us of this little family from Ukraine.  You and your friends helping them is such a blessing.  Thank you so much for letting us know about them.❤️

Heavy rain is about to descend upon us.  Might be a little lighter up north in Atlanta.  And there goes the thunder on cue!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. I hope everyone woke to good spirits. 

So much to do today since I've been feeling yucky. We must have a zillion weeds in our yard, so I'll be pulling and spraying this morning. 

Prayers said for everyone on our list and to those who are in agony over losing lives and homes with these deadly storms. 

I'm surprised Red Neck Bob had not mentioned the train derailment with all the Coors and Blue Moon beer spilling out.. there's gotta be a story here..

My favorite picture of a rainbow I took in Maui.

0130191540.thumb.jpg.0f54e4b46a0995b8c32fc32ca84854f0.jpg

Wishing all my friends a great day. Be well. Be kind.

• Like 26

Good morning,

I made it to Tucson after a long day. The weather is sunny but will turn cooler tomorrow.  It is nice to be with loved ones. The rainbow picture I found was a double rainbow I saw on my first cruise with a friend post DH and DS dying. It is a double rainbow one for each. 

Have a great day, I am going to enjoy the sunshine and company.

F635451E-4433-4E7C-B320-B987D11A59BA.jpeg

• Like 26

Good Monday morning.

I am happy to report that my hiatus has produced some results.  Not all of them as I would have liked, but I have gotten some things done.

The taxes are done.  However, the Federal Government has decided that we did not pay sufficient estimated tax and owe more.  However, the state of South Carolina was kinder and will be issuing a refund.   I’m just glad they are done and I can forget about it for another year.

Our next project is to try to get this house together.  I am really alone on this.  DH tries, but doesn’t get too far.  My plan is a half day on the house and the other half planning our Baltic cruise.

I have to make specialty restaurant reservations on Friday.  We like two tops and if I don’t do it on Friday at midnight, I will be out of luck. Oceania goes by the type of stateroom you are in as to when you can make your reservations.  For our last cruise, I completely forgot about the specialty restaurants and there were no spots left except sharing at 8:30 or 9 pm.  Too late for us.  Our butler was able to secure one for us but was not successful otherwise.  We worked around it by ordering from the specialties and eating in our stateroom.

So today I will do some work around the house first and then do some port planning.

Thank yours go to Sandi, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie and Ann for keeping this thread going.  

I like the days.  I used to think was fun, until my last year, which was miserable an caused me to take an early retirement.  I won’t go into the details but it was a bad year, plus my Mom was starting to need more help.  All things considered, it was time to go and the Government was offering an early out and I took advantage of it.

I like rainbows, and as for tweed — the fabric is nice.  Boss Tweed, he was another story.

I will pass on the meal and libations.

Boston was a place I had to go for work.  Never stopped there on a ship.

Prayers for all on the cares list and Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21

The other Boston memory I will share is from my 2016 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise,  Crystal at the time was offering some :"We Care You Care" shore excursions which were free and gave us an opportunity to help the ports we visited.  The one in Boston was the Greater Boston Food Bank where we assembled boxes of food for those in need.

foodbank1.jpg

Boxes of food came down an assembly line and each of us added an item to the box:

assembly.jpg

There were both staples and fresh items like bananas:

foodbank2.jpg

This was not exclusive to cruisers as we were mixed with local volunteers:

foodcrew.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I think I hit the jackpot yesterday when I stopped at TJ max on a lark and there was a lovely mid sized suitcase in purple! On sale. I’ve been questioning the viability of my current suitcase, so I bought it.

My daughter and I also picked up a suitcase at TJ Maxx yesterday!

we have a Med cruise in 2 months, and she needed a midsize suitcase.  You can always count on reasonably priced suitcases at TJ Maxx. 😎

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Sunshine today, no rainbow occurrences.  

Here’s a rainbow I captured over the school and stadium across the street from me.  The pinkish part under it on the left was where it was still lightly raining.  Blue skies to the right, rain had cleared.  

To the right, over the left corner of the stadium press box building, you can faintly make out a double rainbow. 

image.thumb.jpeg.426e2ac8e947ab50e794042d56f9bb49.jpeg

Edited by ocean sounds
Add
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

@dfish, your menus are amazing.  When I first heard Cod again, all I could think of was creamed cod we had to eat as kids.  We ate it a lot.  With tiny little bones.  Ugh. It had no taste to me. 

Then I read your comments on the benefits of Cod, and saw how beautifully it can be prepared.  Thanks for that!  You may have converted me.

Appreciate all that you do for us.

• Like 17