Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

We were just in Key West in March (Constellation).  We have been there many times since 1985, by land and sea.  We had never been to the Butterfly and Nature Conservatory, and it was totally awesome.  We were in there about 45 minutes; it is not huge.  The butterflies and birds were so beautiful.  The butterflies would land on you, and as you left you had to shake your body to make sure you didn't have any on you as you went through the double set of exit doors.  We walked from the ship, did lunch on the water across from the Conservatory, went there, and then walked back to the ship.  Unfortunately, Key West has gotten too tourist oriented since we first started going. But this was a GREAT day!

Edited by cluso
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

Actually this will be our first river cruise…we are doing Tauck eastbound on the Danube…I’ll report when I return…

Should be a great cruise.  Several years ago we did a 14 day Tauck riverboat tour, Amsterdam to Budapest.  And also a Tauck cruise in Portugal.

My opinion is that the major focus of any river cruise is the ports and the associated land daily land excursions.

Enjoy.

Edited by jagoffee

I love reading your reviews and I’m looking forward to staying in Amsterdam before our Apex cruise in August. Right now I’m listening to Amsterdam by Russell Shorto, and I highly recommend it to anybody who wants some pre-reading for a trip to Amsterdam.

• Like 1

When are you flying out and where? Ft Lauderdale? Are you aware that there is severe flooding there right now and the airport is closed until at least noon tomorrow? Just wanted to give you a heads up if you didn’t already know. Safe travels to you!

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious-  Did you like River Cruising.     Iain's been wanting to do one but I'm a bit reluctant.   Maybe just the fear of the unknown.

You will love it❤️

We have done some…

St Petersburg-Moscow (very recommended but not now😢

Mosel 7-n 

Danube 7-n

Christmas market cruise 5-n

Following along. We're back on the Silhouette this summer out of Southampton to the Canaries, but we're booked on the Apex next year for a Norwegian Fjords sailing, so will be following with interest

Jim-

I saw you are coming into Ft. Lauderdale airport wanted  to let you know the airport is closed today until noon because of flooding through out Ft. Lauderdale.  There was a large amount of rain all this week resulting in the closures yesterday.  Hopefully it won't impact you and that you are coming in later in the day.  

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was a Private Pilot but gave it up a number of years ago.   Just got to be too expensive. 

I mostly flew a Mooney but due to business often had to fly jump seat on freighters as an on-board courier, for delivery of Super Computers that were considered strategic arms.   Often the Pilot would let me take the control and log time out over the Atlantic.   The FAA examiner looked at my log book and of course questioned how I had 10 hour 727 and 12 hours Lear logged when I took my Private Pilot's License. 

All too often we never explore the treasures in our own backyard.    I've really looking forward to visiting the Shetland Islands.   

Hi Jim

I was on a Round Britain cruise last year,,if you haven’t booked a tour on Shetland already i would suggest doing it know,,,there is a lack of vehicles on Shetland and tours get booked up quick.

I also see your cruise has Cobh overnight,,there is some great little pubs and they put on live music when a ship is in,,,,fiddles and Bodhran at the ready.

I can see lots of unsteady people walking back to the ship that night.

With Liverpool,Waterford and Belfast this is a great itinerary.

I will be on the Silhouette cruise from Southampton on 3rd,,,the same itinerary as the one you missed with COVID last year.

The cruise last year was a shambles,,,I’m giving X a second chance.

Hi Jim,

If you have time, I would have a question for experienced cruisers such as you and Lain. 

When it comes to a transatlantic cruise, why did you choose a cruise line such as Celebrity which sails normal cruise ships, versus a line like Cunard specializing in transoceanic cruise, using ships ( transatlantic liners)  especially designed for ocean crossings? 

In short, I am wondering if a transoceanic sailing on a Cunard "Queen..." is normally smoother than a similar crossing done a cruise line sailing normal cruise ships or if the ship design has no significant impact on the comfort on board during a crossing?

Thank-you for your insight! 

Sure glad we weren't flying yesterday.    I usually check my flights a couple days before to see how previous flights have been doing.    The earliest flight out of DFW was diverted to Orlando and the next three were cancelled... Yikes.  

So far things are looking good for today.

Just did a Google search -  

image.thumb.png.1847b8944eb5d878f02a7391525a5a62.png

This is Los Olas

image.thumb.png.8213acd2906c7aa4c0c164313cca15cb.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sure glad we weren't flying yesterday.    I usually check my flights a couple days before to see how previous flights have been doing.    The earliest flight out of DFW was diverted to Orlando and the next three were cancelled... Yikes.  

So far things are looking good for today.

Just did a Google search -  

image.thumb.png.1847b8944eb5d878f02a7391525a5a62.png

Good luck.

I hope you get timely notification of any changes to your flights.

16 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Think I’d like to try a Nile River cruise. Not sure if I want a fancy river boat like Viking or something smaller and more basic. 🐪🌴

I think that would really be a fun trip.

There is so much to see.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am also Lifetime Platinum Elite as a result of business travel back in the day as well.  I have never been there when the Lounge has been open.  We are normally flying in on a Friday or Saturday for a Saturday or Sunday departure.  We'll be there on a Thursday next week so anxious to see what difference, if any makes. 

Will be interested in all the hotels.   It will probably be a year before we next sail out of  FLL so have plenty of time to scope out new digs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cluso said:

We were just in Key West in March (Constellation).  We have been there many times since 1985, by land and sea.  We had never been to the Butterfly and Nature Conservatory, and it was totally awesome.  We were in there about 45 minutes; it is not huge.  The butterflies and birds were so beautiful.  The butterflies would land on you, and as you left you had to shake your body to make sure you didn't have any on you as you went through the double set of exit doors.  We walked from the ship, did lunch on the water across from the Conservatory, went there, and then walked back to the ship.  Unfortunately, Key West has gotten too tourist oriented since we first started going. But this was a GREAT day!

Sounds like a lot of fun.    YEARS and I mean Years ago I went to one in Singapore.   It was amazing to see so many in such a confined space.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Should be a great cruise.  Several years ago we did a 14 day Tauck riverboat tour, Amsterdam to Budapest.  And also a Tauck cruise in Portugal.

My opinion is that the major focus of any river cruise is the ports and the associated land daily land excursions.

Enjoy.

We will get our first taste of a small ship (not river cruise) in September.    After all these years we are jumping ship and taking our first non-Celebrity cruise on Ponant.    Tauck often charter their ships.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, irvington said:

I love reading your reviews and I’m looking forward to staying in Amsterdam before our Apex cruise in August. Right now I’m listening to Amsterdam by Russell Shorto, and I highly recommend it to anybody who wants some pre-reading for a trip to Amsterdam.

I'll have to look it up.    I have 70 Audio Books loaded on my phone currently an always looking for something new.  

I have to admit I mostly read Crime, Forensic and Detective novels but listed to at least 4 non-ficition this year -  including Spare.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

When are you flying out and where? Ft Lauderdale? Are you aware that there is severe flooding there right now and the airport is closed until at least noon tomorrow? Just wanted to give you a heads up if you didn’t already know. Safe travels to you!

I saw that this morning.   Was puzzeld why so many flights were cancelled yesterday and scared me until I did some googling this morning.

We fly out a 12:20 today   San Jose to Dallas and then a 7:00 PM flight from DFW to FLL.

Hope all goes well.   I just searched and looks like the 8:51 and 11:01 flights have already been cancelled.  Definitely a reason why it is important to fly in a day early.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I saw that this morning.   Was puzzeld why so many flights were cancelled yesterday and scared me until I did some googling this morning.

We fly out a 12:20 today   San Jose to Dallas and then a 7:00 PM flight from DFW to FLL.

Hope all goes well.   I just searched and looks like the 8:51 and 11:01 flights have already been cancelled.  Definitely a reason why it is important to fly in a day early.

Good luck!  According to FLL on Twitter just now the airport is going to remain closed until 5am on Friday due to flooding and debris:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Good luck!  According to FLL on Twitter just now the airport is going to remain closed until 5am on Friday due to flooding and debris:

wow..

Fl east coast near port and airport really got slammed...our area on W coast still in severe  drought but south of us got much needed rain.

Hope it abates and things  are good for Fri..  Good luck Jim!

Ugh.... It's going to be a wild day for sure.      Just got a call that they will be keeping FLL closed all day.   I immediately jumped on the line to AA and as you can expect the lines are clogged.  Luckily I had a premium number that helped.

All flight to all origin airports near us and in the Miami / FLL area are totally sold.    Best I can do is fly today to DFW and overnight in DFW.     The only flight I could get doesn't depart Dallas until 8:00 PM Friday getting in around 11:00 PM