Making the best experiences from cruise buffets!!

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

One of the great things about being old, every cruise is a new adventure even when you were only on the ship six weeks ago. 

This thread reinforces how important the whole dining " experience " is to some folk. Quick buffet breakfast this morning,  hoho to Athens.  Back at 3pm a quick snack in the buffet and up in the su shine for a couple of hours. Dinner in MDR about 7 and hope that it doesn't take too long. Stuff we want to do this evening. A pleasant meal is all that we require, not an "Experience:."

• Like 7

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread and admit to only having read the first couple of pages.

As ever, my experience is only of the smallest ships in the fleet but whilst the food on Aurora last summer wasn't as good as it has been, with a number of repeated dishes, I must say that the food in the mdr was a very different style to the buffet menus posted on page 1 of this thread. Those menus really wouldn't tempt me to eat at the buffet in the evening.

I'm also with a number of posters in that I want a relaxed meal with someone serving me whilst I sit and enjoy the experience. I do use the buffet for some breakfasts and most lunches but really have no desire to eat dinner 'canteen-style'.

It's all personal taste of course and for those that like to eat dinner buffet-style, I say go for it...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

This thread reinforces how important the whole dining " experience " is to some folk. Quick buffet breakfast this morning,  hoho to Athens.  Back at 3pm a quick snack in the buffet and up in the su shine for a couple of hours. Dinner in MDR about 7 and hope that it doesn't take too long. Stuff we want to do this evening. A pleasant meal is all that we require, not an "Experience:."

Absolutely spot on.  That's what we do.  I don't cruise for the food.  I always lose a few pounds on a cruise.  rushing from here to there, walking ashore, swimming.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Absolutely spot on.  That's what we do.  I don't cruise for the food.  I always lose a few pounds on a cruise.  rushing from here to there, walking ashore, swimming.

We always lose a few pounds on whilst on cruises as well.  From our bank accounts though 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

27 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm amazed that anyone can lose weight on a cruise!

Good for you though Jean! 

As you get older it is all about pacing yourself, when we were younger and working we would gain around 5-7 pounds on a two week cruise. Now we are retired we tend to actually lose a couple of pounds, we broke even on our 40 night Caribbean cruise. We always have a light breakfast in the MDR then coffee and cake or a light snack at lunchtime. We avoid having several bread rolls with our soup course at dinner and never go to the buffet at night. We also used to be fair drinkers back in the day whereas we drink very little now. We also have to contend with several longer cruises a year so need to be canny or we would be constantly on a diet when at home and I hate diets.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes on our last cruise I managed to loose 1.5kg, I put it down to the walking either on land or around the prom deck, I was averaging 15,000 steps a day during the cruise, a lot more that I do at home where it’s around 7500 to 10000 a day. 

(15000 steps is around 12km or 7.5 miles) 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes on our last cruise I managed to loose 1.5kg, I put it down to the walking either on land or around the prom deck, I was averaging 15,000 steps a day during the cruise, a lot more that I do at home where it’s around 7500 to 10000 a day. 

(15000 steps is around 12km or 7.5 miles) 

I was averaging over 10k steps 

Only using the stairs and no lifts

Doing a spin class

And working out in the gym

Pretty much every day for 14 days in they Caribbean

Still put a stone and a half on !!

No amount of exercise was going to make up for the extra food I was eating morning, noon and night (and Cocktails I was drinking)

Lol

I'm very good when I'm not on holiday though and lost the weight quickly when I got home. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I was averaging over 10k steps 

Only using the stairs and no lifts

Doing a spin class

And working out in the gym

Pretty much every day for 14 days in they Caribbean

Still put a stone and a half on !!

No amount of exercise was going to make up for the extra food I was eating morning, noon and night (and Cocktails I was drinking)

Lol

I'm very good when I'm not on holiday though and lost the weight quickly when I got home. 

I was astonished how many calories there are in a cocktail.  Found this information on another forum after being prompted there by my surgery nurse before my world cruise on QM2. 

Mai Tai – a typical one can ‘cost’ as much as 620 calories as it is made from white rum, dark rum, orange curacao, lime juice and orange syrup!

Frozen Margarita – anything from 500-700 calories!

Piña colada – that evocative drink reminiscent of balmy nights is surely delicious. Its calorie count depends on size but could get close to 600 calories!

Mud Slide – a slippery 556 calories!

Long Island Iced Tea – (the classic demonstration of how multiple spirits adds up to a calorie-rich drink) 430 calories at least!

Bahama Mama – tastes like it sounds but you’ll drink 350 calories!

Sex on the Beach – (go on, you’ve always wanted to try it but never dared to ask) … will tot up to 330 calories!

Vodka & Tonic or Gin & Tonic quite ‘cheap’ at about 150 calories a time

The same place offered some swaps to cut the calories.

Instead of a Mai Tai…

Have a Mojito! A Mojito weighs in at around 200 calories depending on what it’s made with and it’s a deliciously fresh low calorie alternative.

Swap your Mudslide…

For a Chocolate Martini. The martini only contains vodka and crème de cacao instead of the two types of ice cream found in the mudslide and is still an enjoyable chocolate treat that comes in at 438 calories.

Say goodbye to your Pina Colada…

For a White Russian. Whilst still creamy and delicious it is slightly less calories than its pineapple flavoured friend. At 257 calories you can enjoy your dessert in a glass in peace!

Ditch the Long Island Iced Tea…

For a Cosmo! Whilst still fairly alcoholic the Cosmo is less potent than the Long Island Iced Tea and has 213 calories.

Change your Margarita…

For a tequila sunrise. You’ll still enjoy that distinctive tequila kick but lose the extra calories of the triple sec. You waistline will thank you as the Sunrise only has 170 calories!

Even the "skinny" options looked pretty calorie laden to me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I was astonished how many calories there are in a cocktail.  Found this information on another forum after being prompted there by my surgery nurse before my world cruise on QM2. 

Mai Tai – a typical one can ‘cost’ as much as 620 calories as it is made from white rum, dark rum, orange curacao, lime juice and orange syrup!

Piña colada – that evocative drink reminiscent of balmy nights is surely delicious. Its calorie count depends on size but could get close to 600 calories!

Long Island Iced Tea – (the classic demonstration of how multiple spirits adds up to a calorie-rich drink) 430 calories at least!

Sex on the Beach – (go on, you’ve always wanted to try it but never dared to ask) … will tot up to 330 calories!

Instead of a Mai Tai…

Have a Mojito! A Mojito weighs in at around 200 calories depending on what it’s made with and it’s a deliciously fresh low calorie alternative.

Swap your Mudslide…

For a Chocolate Martini. The martini only contains vodka and crème de cacao instead of the two types of ice cream found in the mudslide and is still an enjoyable chocolate treat that comes in at 438 calories.

For a White Russian. Whilst still creamy and delicious it is slightly less calories than its pineapple flavoured friend. At 257 calories you can enjoy your dessert in a glass in peace!

For a Cosmo! Whilst still fairly alcoholic the Cosmo is less potent than the Long Island Iced Tea and has 213 calories.

Change your Margarita…

For a tequila sunrise. You’ll still enjoy that distinctive tequila kick but lose the extra calories of the triple sec. You waistline will thank you as the Sunrise only has 170 calories!

I wish you'd never told me that Megabear!!

Lol

I knew they were bad for me!!!

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm amazed that anyone can lose weight on a cruise!

Good for you though Jean! 

Well, I work 4 days a week, mostly sitting.  I do walk the dog on the days I'm not working.  But I definitely walk more on the cruise.  Don't use the lifts, walk ashore and don't eat crisps like I do at home!!    I eat to live, not the other way round.  Food is not the reason I cruise, some nights, I don't like anything on the menu!!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Instead of a Mai Tai…

Swap your Mudslide…

Change your Margarita…

Ah with the reduction in alcohol content and increase in ice in many of their cocktails now, at least the calories are now so much lower. Until half way through the last cruise our cocktails tasted like they were virgin cocktails…..I wondered if the alcohol had jumped ship

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I eat to live, not the other way round.

My wife is also in the ‘eat to live’ category, whilst I am most definitely the other way around. The fact that I am twice her size if of course purely coincidental and entirely down to other factors, such as genetics 😉

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

My wife is also in the ‘eat to live’ category, whilst I am most definitely the other way around. The fact that I am twice her size if of course purely coincidental and entirely down to other factors, such as genetics 😉

There is a medical term for it Selbourne. 

What is it now.. 

Over active??? 

Oh that's it, over active knife and fork... 😂

Andy 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

Ah with the reduction in alcohol content and increase in ice in many of their cocktails now, at least the calories are now so much lower. Until half way through the last cruise our cocktails tasted like they were virgin cocktails…..I wondered if the alcohol had jumped ship

Ahh, the article was on cocktails on RC .... 

I

On 4/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, zap99 said:

Small correction. Purely in the Interests of research I experienced the bubble and squeak with the pork belly in the MDR last night. Might repeat the experience another night. It was quite OK, but not a true bubble.🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Hubby says I am the reason for any weight gain as I often pass over some of my meal to him that I can't eat ... especially the desserts 🙂

• Haha 3

Back to the OP. We avoid the buffet at all costs nowadays. It's always a bun fight and most buffet dining locations are like a motorway caf with a much better view. The problem is you can't see the view due to the bun fight over the window seats. 

Sorry to disappoint.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Back to the OP. We avoid the buffet at all costs nowadays. It's always a bun fight and most buffet dining locations are like a motorway caf with a much better view. The problem is you can't see the view due to the bun fight over the window seats. 

Sorry to disappoint.   

It  simply wasn't a bunfight on Arvia when we went

And the choice of food was great

Will see what it's like on Iona in May and compare

The Smash n Grab, thank Maurice Grumbleweed on Oriana for that one, is very Marmite, you either love it or hate it.  I'm rare in never ever having eaten in the Main Dining Room.  Like some I eat to live, get in, get it scoffed, get out.  Never had an issue in there nor something that should have been warm or hot not being so.  Some odd menu choices some nights but there would be in the Main Dining Room plus I don't have to interact with anyone nor worry I'm using the wrong cutlery.  The only poor thing I had was custard on Britannia last year, I've mentioned this before.

People who don't like the buffet will pick fault.  People who don't like formality pick fault with the Main Dining Room.  It's your holiday, eat what you want, where you want, how you want, with who you want.  Well within reason please don't come and sit with me, I'm unsociable! 

Enjoy it, don't sweat the small stuff, don't expect every meal to be absolute perfection, don't look for fault, don't worry what other people choose to do or how they find things.  Concentrate on what you like.  Relax and enjoy your cruise!

Ever since calories have been shown on everything I'm shocked how calorific rocky road is.  I'm also not surprised about c/mocktails given I can feel my teeth shattering after a sip...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Sorry to disappoint.   

On last 3 cruises, all post covid, we have noticed a marked improvement in the speed and efficiency in which the buffet tables are serviced and cleaned. All cruise lines seem to have declared that they have enhanced their cleaning protocols post covid, and we were glad to see this in operation in effect in the buffet.  Which incidentally showed little resemblance to a bun fight, even at the busiest of times.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On last 3 cruises, all post covid, we have noticed a marked improvement in the speed and efficiency in which the buffet tables are serviced and cleaned. All cruise lines seem to have declared that they have enhanced their cleaning protocols post covid, and we were glad to see this in operation in effect in the buffet.  Which incidentally showed little resemblance to a bun fight, even at the busiest of times.

I'd agree with that. On Princess last week, tables were being cleared the moment you left them. And it is nice having tea, coffee, juice, omlettes etc delivered to your table in the buffet at breakfast.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:22 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Plus physically seeing the food helps you decide what to try in the buffets. I like to take time to walk around the buffet before diving in head first. To see all the options

Ah, it's you who causes the chaos in the serving areas when folk are trying to get served. 😃

• Haha 2