Chic night...do men still wear suits?

HWC_Mom

We're doing the Italian itinerary on the Constellation in June and hope to just take carry on luggage (partly because our luggage got lost in our way to a previous Med cruise and arrived as we were leaving the hotel in Rome to get to the ship).  My husband thinks he doesn't need a jacket... I think he'll feel out of place without one.  So do I need to stuff jackets for hubs and my son?  

This man no longer does. 2016 Celebrity revised the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening, fleetwide no matter the itinerary.  I wear dockers and a golf/polo style shirt every evening in the MDR.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, HWC_Mom said:

We're doing the Italian itinerary on the Constellation in June and hope to just take carry on luggage (partly because our luggage got lost in our way to a previous Med cruise and arrived as we were leaving the hotel in Rome to get to the ship).  My husband thinks he doesn't need a jacket... I think he'll feel out of place without one.  So do I need to stuff jackets for hubs and my son?  

No. He will not feel out of place. He wouldn't feel out of place with a jacket either, but it is not necessary or expected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HWC_Mom said:

I feel like the "trend" right now is that men wear slacks and a jacket (with/without a tie) in lieu of a full suit.  It looks GREAT and is a little more relaxed and comfortable. 

Easier to mix and match too. 

A jacket with a polo is super nice too. 

Very versatile. 

You can use that same polo 3 times on the same cruise. 

🛳enJOY

• Like 1

My husband brings a suit - not a fancy one, and in grey. We have mostly taken cool weather cruises lately & the jacket keeps him warm. Better that than a sweater vest!

I think men look just smashing in suits … 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

My husband brings a suit - not a fancy one, and in grey. We have mostly taken cool weather cruises lately & the jacket keeps him warm. Better that than a sweater vest!

I think men look just smashing in suits … 

The temperature in the MDR is always consistent no matter the itinerary, just right IMO. Not to warm and not to cool. My wife agrees as she never complains but she always wears a top/blouse with long sleeves. 

Like @davekathy, I wear slacks (actually very nice cargo pants) and a polo on most nights.  On Chic nite, I swap the polo for some kind of button down, usually a really nice Hawaiian shirt.  Have never felt out of place on X that way.

Sometimes I do miss not wearing a tux..., but not that much.

2 hours ago, HWC_Mom said:

I have found that cruisers tend to dress up more on the European itineraries.  I would bring along a jacket on that cruise but not so in the Caribbean or Alaska.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

My husband (age 66) does, although I tell him every time we pack for a cruise that it is not necessary any more. I guess it is his only chance to pull out his Jerry Garcia collection...

Your DH and my DH share something in common. 😉

• Haha 1

We usually do 14+ night trans Atlantics often with a shorter 7-10 day ahead of it. That makes usually a total of five "chic" nights. I still pack a tuxedo and two or three sport coats and ties. I'm in shorts and flip flops almost year round and like the occasional old school dress up. Last November there were still some tuxes on our TA. I think it's a European/British thing. Either way he won't feel out of place and still better dressed than the backward baseball hatters.

2 hours ago, HWC_Mom said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

The temperature in the MDR is always consistent no matter the itinerary, just right IMO. Not to warm and not to cool. My wife agrees as she never complains but she always wears a top/blouse with long sleeves. 

You have no idea why someone may or may not feel chilly.  Some of us actually walk on the deck at night. Or maybe we’re naturally cold blooded. I slept with a heating pad on my feet when we lived in Florida. In July. 

You don’t want to wear a jacket? No one is making you. 

• Thanks 1

A tux is overdoing it these days, unless you want to look like the help.  Dress codes have relaxed in a major way over the last several years.  Dinner on a cruise ship does not rise to a formal occasion anymore, especially when other guests are invited to wear jeans to the same event.