Can I buy 4 or 5 beers at a bar & take them unopened back to cabin? 🍺 No drink package

Before drink packages, you used to be able to buy a bucket of beer. Buy 5, get one free. And just ask that they not be opened. You might have to find a long time bartender. I'm not sure what the procedures are now. Some employees tend to want to open them now. But since it is mostly cans, it should work out. 

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I do it all the time ,it’s good to have something for the middle of the night.

Actually if you have the drinks package they sometimes want you to open it .

Cuz you wake up at 3am and think “hm, a cold beer would be good right now”????

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I've never had a bartender tell me that he HAS to open the beer. I just tell them, beer to go - don't open please. Never a problem. I've even had bartenders make me my early day favorite - vodka and Clamato and just not put ice in so I can store it overnight. My cabin stewards always fill my ice bucket that I then leave in the fridge and voila! Early day drink is available 

• Like 2

I remember many years ago a post bemoaning Carnival’s 15 drinks a day limit and the fact that “including beer!!’”  When did beer become a non alcoholic drink?  Middle of the night (yeah I pee enough at night as it is!) breakfast?!?!?!

Edited by poocher

6 hours ago, IBookHePays said:

We have brought a couple beers back at night, because sometimes sitting on the balcony with a beer in the morning is just perfect! No problem getting them.

5 hours ago, poocher said:

Beer in the morning, breakfast of champions.

Do you pour it on your Wheaties? 😉 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alex_drew said:

Was skiing once in my youth and one guy always brought a beer to breakfast.  His thought? Juice for breakfast? Beer = wheat juice.

That's how alcoholics think.  I can't imagine drinking beer for breakfast.  Heck, even on the rare occasion I have a mimosa at brunch, it's after 11 am and most have a lot more oj than champagne.  The older I get, the more reflux I get if I eat or drink after 9 pm and I'm hardly alone.  

Edited by BND

21 minutes ago, BND said:

That's how alcoholics think.  I can't imagine drinking beer for breakfast.  Heck, even on the rare occasion I have a mimosa at brunch, it's after 11 am and most have a lot more oj than champagne.  The older I get, the more reflux I get if I eat or drink after 9 pm and I'm hardly alone.  

So you declare someone an alcoholic simply because their views on alcoholic consumption are different than yours??

I think you may want to revisit the definition

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So you declare someone an alcoholic simply because their views on alcoholic consumption are different than yours??

I think you may want to revisit the definition

LOL.  I didn't not declare anyone anything, just made an observation.  You do realize that no one was named, right?  So, no one was harmed in the making of this statement.  Touchy about the subject aren't you?

Edited by BND

10 minutes ago, BND said:

LOL.  I didn't not declare anyone anything, just made an observation.  You do realize that no one was named, right?  So, no one was harmed in the making of this statement.  Touchy about the subject aren't you?

No, not touchy at all. 
“That’s how alcoholics think” is labeling someone for the way thru THINK, regardless of naming someone. 
It just struck me as inappropriate, that’s just me

• Like 8

I have the answer to this from a recent experience!! 

My dad loves to have his afternoon beers while he reads on their stateroom balcony and usually keeps a few in the fridge for after dinner balcony beers. Previously, he was able to order the bucket of beers and take them to his room. This was NOT the case on our most recent cruise. He had the drink package and with that package they are not supposed to give more than one drink to a person at a time. You have to wait 15 minutes between beverages. HOWEVER if you DO NOT have the drink package, you can still purchase the old bucket of beer. My mom does not drink and only purchases the refreshment package so she was able to purchase the bucket of beer. Long story short, you can but there are parameters. 

Also, to the person judging what they "think" to be alcoholic behavior, I hope no one has ever judged any of your own behaviors. Let people live their lives as they see fit living them, if someone on vacation wants to have a breakfast beer, it doesn't hurt you. I no longer drink as alcohol doesn't agree with my system any longer, but I don't care if others have an early morning mimosa or bloody Mary. Heck, I get virgin Mary's all the time on vacation....with EXTRA olives...as the breakfast portion...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:02 AM, Traveller1212 said:

Can I buy 4 or 5 beers at a bar & take them unopened back to cabin?  No drink package

Based on the "Yes" responses, don't forget to pack a bottle opener (unless the bottles have twist off caps or you like roughing it!)

I've never had an issue obtaining unopened beers using the drink package or vouchers. Just have to ask in my experience. I usually make sure I stock up a few in the cabin the first day. I have never had an issue getting 2 drinks at a time with vouchers (you can share those), and if on a beverage package I just bring mine and my traveling companions seapass and they put one on each. I do tip the bartenders though, and hand over the tip with the seapass card. 

On 4/24/2023 at 3:18 AM, Coralc said:

Before drink packages, you used to be able to buy a bucket of beer. Buy 5, get one free ...

They still do this, but it doesn't seem to be very well publicized.  I think it's only done at the Pool Bar. 

Another value option:  The pitcher at Playmakers.  

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

... “That’s how alcoholics think” ...

I come from a long line of alcoholics, and I know and can recognize alcoholic behavior /rationalizations pretty well.  The worst I can think of:  My great-aunt taught us kids how to make Jello in our stomachs, the idea being that it'd set up in your stomach and keep you from being sick.  Incidentally, my great-aunt was a nun and lived to be 104 years old.  

Back to the subject, what I don't know is whether a person on these boards is actually an alcoholic or just indulges heavily for a week on vacation.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

I have the answer to this from a recent experience!! 

My dad loves to have his afternoon beers while he reads on their stateroom balcony and usually keeps a few in the fridge for after dinner balcony beers. Previously, he was able to order the bucket of beers and take them to his room. This was NOT the case on our most recent cruise. He had the drink package and with that package they are not supposed to give more than one drink to a person at a time. You have to wait 15 minutes between beverages. HOWEVER if you DO NOT have the drink package, you can still purchase the old bucket of beer. My mom does not drink and only purchases the refreshment package so she was able to purchase the bucket of beer. Long story short, you can but there are parameters. 

Also, to the person judging what they "think" to be alcoholic behavior, I hope no one has ever judged any of your own behaviors. Let people live their lives as they see fit living them, if someone on vacation wants to have a breakfast beer, it doesn't hurt you. I no longer drink as alcohol doesn't agree with my system any longer, but I don't care if others have an early morning mimosa or bloody Mary. Heck, I get virgin Mary's all the time on vacation....with EXTRA olives...as the breakfast portion...

So that has turned into the most expensive drink package I have heard of to date ... Full drink package price , plus buckets of beer that had to paid for on the side ....

CHching !

Cheers

• Like 1