President’s cruise

On 5/10/2023 at 9:30 AM, Homosassa said:

If you ever want to get the fisheye from someone, with a straight face, ask a Pinnacle level cruiser bedecked with  the tee shirts and jewelry that proclaims their lofty status if they ever had the desire to cruise on a more upmarket cruise line.

The reactions can be interesting, especially if you commiserate with them on their limited experience of what is available in the cruising world. 

yea I meet a lot of folks on RCI ships who very firmly say "Oh know I am loyal to Royal". While I try to tell them what they are missing by not trying other cruise lines, the shake their heads.

Wel I for one enjoy the others like Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and yes Disney.  Not sure about MSC or Virgin though but I have heard food is wonderful on Virgin.

• Like 1

If you ever want to get the fisheye from someone, with a straight face, ask a Pinnacle level cruiser bedecked with  the tee shirts and jewelry that proclaims their lofty status if they ever had the desire to cruise on a more upmarket cruise line.

The reactions can be interesting, especially if you commiserate with them on their limited experience of what is available in the cruising world. 

I think if you get can over your stereotype you'll find many Pinnacle have sailed other lines.  Folks who have the ability to spend the amount of a house on one cruise line have probably sailed other lines.     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, CruisingHogFan said:

Or they will be preparing for the following week and have areas closed off….

Not in my experience. We did B2B on Harmony and Symphony when they were the PC ship. Hardly any prep the week before

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Took a Covid break from cruising & the mods gave me a break from posting. 🤣

But we're headed back out twice this year. Greek Isles on Explorer & Caribbean on Harmony.

Looks like we are on the same harmony cruise. Go this year, next year the prices are up so I'm still booked b2b. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

The arrogance in the suite/diamond lounges are bad enough on a regular cruise. 😂

One of the main reasons why we never wear our badges (or as DW calls them "the Pinnacle nose ring")

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, twangster said:

I think if you get can over your stereotype you'll find many Pinnacle have sailed other lines.  Folks who have the ability to spend the amount of a house on one cruise line have probably sailed other lines.     

My story is based on actual experience on my February 2023 Radiance of the Sea cruise.

The ship was loaded with Pinnacles who wore C+A earrings, tee shirts and other status  announcing items.

We started to ask them if they have traveled other lines. Most firmly shook their heads and said things  such as"We are loyal to Royal," "We are very happy with Royal," "There is no need for us to try anything else," etc.

Interestingly enough, further conversation with them found anyone we talked to had only started cruising with Royal Caribbean  after 2000 (when the target market demographic changed and on board experience started its downhill slide to be a competitor for Carnival Cruise Line).

So my "stereotype" story  is based on an  experience on a very recent cruise.

Just an FYI, our first Royal Caribbean  Cruise  was backed in 1985 and was one of our go to lines (also HAL and Sitmar in that time period).

As the on board experience went down from its former standards  in the early aughts we stayed with Sitmar, (now known as Celebrity and owned by Royal Caribbean)  and other lines that offered the same level of on board experience.

The recent RCL cruise was the result of us deciding to join my sister who had a FCC to use up because of a high school reunion cruised that was a Covid cancellation.

It met our expectations of what a Royal Caribbean cruise has become.

• Like 1

Interesting observation, and I presume there will be Pins who have only sailed RCL and would resemble your observations. There are, I would imagine, others like  DW and I who are frequent cruisers on other lines besides RCL (for us it is top tier on three other "upmarket" cruise lines - Disney, Princess, and HAL). We will slot in a few Princess and HAL cruises once the train between OIA and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale starts running later this summer, along with a few Celebrity and Silversea cruises.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Interesting observation, and I presume there will be Pins who have only sailed RCL and would resemble your observations. There are, I would imagine, others like  DW and I who are frequent cruisers on other lines besides RCL (for us it is top tier on three other "upmarket" cruise lines - Disney, Princess, and HAL). We will slot in a few Princess and HAL cruises once the train between OIA and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale starts running later this summer, along with a few Celebrity and Silversea cruises.

Lol I feel like I get stink eye here because I do carnival. Carnival prices are higher than rcl is why I only have the one booked. There are a few I'd like to try. I wanted jubilee, but harmony is cheaper for a balcony than a inside on jubilee. I'm hoping prices on newest ships come down. 3 princess, 3 ncl, 1 celebrity.  I thought princess was a bit staid tbh. I want to try HAL. I'll be the highest tier on carnival next cruise. I like their fast food and comedians better. They were the only 2 choices out of texas for a while and I liked to alternate Mdr menus. Got tired of the same so alternated.

I really dont get why royal pax feel so uppity toward carnival.  And yes I think they do love to feel superior. I read comments and hear it a lot. I get tired of the attitude. I guess people need to feel they are better than others. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And that was part of the reason why I started asking the bedecked Pinnacles (especially the Pinnacle that felt she had the right to ask others to vacate the elevator for herself and her husband) if they cruised other lines.

It was surprising that all we asked would only cruise Royal Caribbean and miss  the opportunity and experiences that other lines can offer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Sitmar, (now known as Celebrity and owned by Royal Caribbean)  and other lines that offered the same level of on board experience.

I believe Sitmar was bought out by Princess (at least the Sitmar Fair Sea and Fair Sky that we sailed on in the 80's) The Fair Sky was renamed the Sky Princess when we sailed her again to Alaska in 91.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

And that was part of the reason why I started asking the bedecked Pinnacles (especially the Pinnacle that felt she had the right to ask others to vacate the elevator for herself and her husband) if they cruised other lines.

It was surprising that all we asked would only cruise Royal Caribbean and miss  the opportunity and experiences that other lines can offer

Some don’t view it as a missed opportunity, some aren’t interested in different experiences. Some find great comfort in the routine and the known. 

There is nothing wrong with this. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

My story is based on actual experience on my February 2023 Radiance of the Sea cruise.

The ship was loaded with Pinnacles who wore C+A earrings, tee shirts and other status  announcing items.

We started to ask them if they have traveled other lines. Most firmly shook their heads and said things  such as"We are loyal to Royal," "We are very happy with Royal," "There is no need for us to try anything else," etc.

Interestingly enough, further conversation with them found anyone we talked to had only started cruising with Royal Caribbean  after 2000 (when the target market demographic changed and on board experience started its downhill slide to be a competitor for Carnival Cruise Line).

So my "stereotype" story  is based on an  experience on a very recent cruise.

Just an FYI, our first Royal Caribbean  Cruise  was backed in 1985 and was one of our go to lines (also HAL and Sitmar in that time period).

As the on board experience went down from its former standards  in the early aughts we stayed with Sitmar, (now known as Celebrity and owned by Royal Caribbean)  and other lines that offered the same level of on board experience.

The recent RCL cruise was the result of us deciding to join my sister who had a FCC to use up because of a high school reunion cruised that was a Covid cancellation.

It met our expectations of what a Royal Caribbean cruise has become.

Sitmar became Princess

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

As the on board experience went down from its former standards  in the early aughts we stayed with Sitmar, (now known as Celebrity and owned by Royal Caribbean) 

Sitmar was sold to Princess. Sailed them several times in the 80’s, and my cruises were honored by Princess.

EDIT…..hahaha We all posted at the same time.

Edited by crzndeb

28 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I feel like I get stink eye here because I do carnival. Carnival prices are higher than rcl is why I only have the one booked. There are a few I'd like to try. I wanted jubilee, but harmony is cheaper for a balcony than a inside on jubilee. I'm hoping prices on newest ships come down. 3 princess, 3 ncl, 1 celebrity.  I thought princess was a bit staid tbh. I want to try HAL. I'll be the highest tier on carnival next cruise. I like their fast food and comedians better. They were the only 2 choices out of texas for a while and I liked to alternate Mdr menus. Got tired of the same so alternated.

I really dont get why royal pax feel so uppity toward carnival.  And yes I think they do love to feel superior. I read comments and hear it a lot. I get tired of the attitude. I guess people need to feel they are better than others. 

I don’t understand why any Royal passenger would feel superior to any type of vacation. We enjoy it but also know it’s a budget line. If we want 5 star we do another line

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

We will slot in a few Princess and HAL cruises once the train between OIA and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale starts running later this summer, along with a few Celebrity and Silversea cruises.

Not sure of you heard but starting in Nov. 2024 Princess will sail out of PC

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure of you heard but starting in Nov. 2024 Princess will sail out of PC

Saw the announcement the other day. No itineraries or dates released yet. Will book a few once they start depending on routes.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Just my personal observation, but for us, there are multiple Carnivals. Old ship vs. new ship; short cruise vs. long cruise, etc. You can experience completely different cruise quality/atmosphere/attitude depending on which of the four you are on. When we sail carnival, we always choose new over old; long over short, and itineraries that don’t cater to the short/old ship crowds.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4

My apologies to all that corrected me about Sitmar to Princess (head slap).

I do know that and misspoke. While we also cruised Sitmar in that time period (and Princess now), I should have said Chandris ---> broken into two brands Celebrity (upscale) and Fantasea (budget level to compete with Carnival) ---> Celebrity bought by Royal Caribbean.

21 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

The Sunday of Thanksgiving week I hear is an excellent week to go cruising. Perhaps we'll share a pint or two.

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We do Thanksgiving week every other year. It really is a great week to cruise!!

We have cruised several times during that week or the week following.  It tends to be more affordable and have few kids.  the only down side is flight costs can be high on the inbound leg