Is there any permissible steamer or iron you can take on Carnival?

Eli_6

I am packing for our trip in less than 3 weeks. I am going to attempt to fly with carry on only because I don't want to have to pick up luggage and re-check it in Heathrow and go through customs both in Heathrow and again in Barcelona. (Our IAH-LHR round-trip heathrow had to be booked on a different ticket number than our one way LHR-BCN for reasons that would take a paragraph to explain. If tickets are on different ticket numbers despite being with the same airline, you have to pick up and re-check luggage, go through customs, etc.)  Because of this, I will be vacuum packing our clothes. Is there any sort of item to get the wrinkles out that I can permissibly take on the cruise?  Has anyone ever asked the room steward for an iron and been given one?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It is not permissible to bring a clothes steamer or iron on board. There are laundry rooms on the ship that I believe have irons you can use.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

Properly bundled clothing should not wrinkle. I once packed cruise clothing (back when husband packed a suit) and left it for almost two weeks while on land tour. Not a wrinkle! I use the bags you force the air out with pressure so I can more easily use them for the return trip. It may not look pretty but I put the bundle inside, seal the end and then lay it on the floor. I lower my body over it slowly, forcing the air out the vents. My alternative which works just as well is rolling and cubes.

Try it ahead of time to learn where problems might be.

Have a great trip.

• Like 1

Agreed on the Downy Wrinkle release but with carry on space at a premium you may not have room to bring enough.  

i have sent out items of clothing - mostly DH’s shirts on the first day of the cruise for ironing only.  This is an option on the laundry sheet in your cabin.  We are not platinum/ diamond so it was not free but worked well.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

I just pretend wrinkles are the new fad and everyone else hasnt caught up to me yet.

LOL that's what I said on our cruise last week. My wife said your shirt is wrinkled.

I said so, most people on here have wrinkled clothes. we laughed and went to dinner.

At home I'm more meticulous but on vacation it's live and let live.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, 2wheelin said:

Properly bundled clothing should not wrinkle. I once packed cruise clothing (back when husband packed a suit) and left it for almost two weeks while on land tour. Not a wrinkle! I use the bags you force the air out with pressure so I can more easily use them for the return trip. It may not look pretty but I put the bundle inside, seal the end and then lay it on the floor. I lower my body over it slowly, forcing the air out the vents. My alternative which works just as well is rolling and cubes.

Try it ahead of time to learn where problems might be.

Have a great trip.

I never said I was "properly" bundling them, lol.  😂  I have the bags that use an actual vacuum to get all the air out and the clothes do come out wrinkled because I have done it before.  I believe you that the system you use doesn't cause wrinkles because I have used those roll bags before as well, but they don't get the clothes as shrunken down as the vacuum bags do. I even told everyone that we are skipping formal nights because I don't want to have to pack the shoes for formal nights...because with three boys/men their giant shoes alone will take up half of a carry on suitcase. Hubs is 12/13 shoe size and my boys are already in men's size shoes despite being in 8 and 10.

Edited by Eli_6

19 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

you can take a large steamer on Carnival, no problem - the plumbing can handle it.

Not on Carnival Ecstasy, room E6. First hand experience.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I never said I was "properly" bundling them, lol.  😂  I have the bags that use an actual vacuum to get all the air out and the clothes do come out wrinkled because I have done it before.  I believe you that the system you use doesn't cause wrinkles because I have used those roll bags before as well, but they don't get the clothes as shrunken down as the vacuum bags do. I even told everyone that we are skipping formal nights because I don't want to have to pack the shoes for formal nights...because with three boys/men their giant shoes alone will take up half of a carry on suitcase. Hubs is 12/13 shoe size and my boys are already in men's size shoes despite being in 8 and 10.

Vans are quite fashionable and are in style for formal settings. I also wear a size 13 so I do not pack dress shoes either. It's too much to lug around for 1 night (we do the steakhouse on the first formal night). Also agree that it's impossible to keep all the clothes wrinkle free. I buy Cubavera Golf polos which hold up very well against wrinkles but their linen shirts do require a date with an iron. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I never roll them but as I said, lay on them on the floor. My weight definitely competes with any vacuum!!!

On 5/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, Eli_6 said:

I don't want to have to pick up luggage and re-check it in Heathrow and go through customs both in Heathrow and again in Barcelona.

You'll have to go thru customs in both places no matter what you do about luggage.  Because the UK is no longer part of the EU.  Entry thru Heathrow is only valid for the UK.

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

You'll have to go thru customs in both places no matter what you do about luggage.  Because the UK is no longer part of the EU.  Entry thru Heathrow is only valid for the UK.

Even though I am just having a layover and not leaving the Heathrow airport? I thought if you were not leaving the airport that you didn't have to go through customs and immigration...only security. 

Edited by Eli_6

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

I just called British Airways and I do not have to clear customs and immigration on a short layover (less than 24 hours) unless I had to go "land side" to pick up and recheck baggage.  Now I do have to go back through security, but not customs and immigration because I am never officially entering the UK.    

Edited by Eli_6

34 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I just called British Airways and I do not have to clear customs and immigration on a short layover (less than 24 hours) unless I had to go "land side" to pick up and recheck baggage.  Now I do have to go back through security, but not customs and immigration because I am never officially entering the UK.    

What British Airways says and what HM Customs and Immigration do is frequently two different things. Especially at Heathrow.  Believe whatever you want to.