Hurricanes in the Gulf

Cruising in hurricane season comes with the risk that itineraries may be changed.   For Allure from Texas that likely means extra sea days.   With no alternative home port it could mean delays boarding or disembarking if a storm is impacting Galveston on turn around day.  If the port is closed they can't enter the port to load or unload guests so you wait until the port opens.   

Most cruises during hurricane season operate normally.   You just need to understand there is a chance of itineray impact during hurricane season.   Royal can't change the weather, its up to mother nature.   

• Like 5

Anything is possible.  Sept and Oct are busier historically though.  

They will stay far away and you would potentially have a delay coming or going.  Possibly several days depending on the storm characteristics and track. 

Odds are high none of this will be an issue.  But there is certainly a chance.  

• Like 1

We experienced an itinerary change last September on our Harmony cruise out of Port Canaveral. It was supposed to be an Eastern Carib itinerary, but was changed to Cozumel and Costa Maya due to Hurricane Ian.  While we were looking forward to an Eastern Carib route, the disappointment of going to Cozumel for the umpteenth time didn't deter us from having a fantastic time, still. Ironically, we had the calmest seas we've ever experienced in the Gulf.  This pic was during one of our sea days in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

image.thumb.jpeg.bee6a063efae964e6c31765bf05a8441.jpeg

• Like 4

For the last 15+ years we always cruised during hurricane season.  Up until last year, we have never had one impact the departure/arrival.  Ian closed our home airport and our flight out the day before the cruise (and all flights to anywhere) was cancelled. Both FFL and MIA were open as the storm had already passed but we couldn't get out of our home town.  So, we got a one-way car rental and left around midnight to get to Miami (9 hour drive).  There was absolutely no traffic on I-95 (we were the only idiots driving through a hurricane).  The biggest issue, which I didn't think about at the time, there were no gas stations open or they were out of gas.  About 100 miles before empty we started looking.  Finally found one open with 12 miles left pursuant to the gauge (never so happy to pay $5.25 a gallon for premium).  On that same trip we did have tropical storm develop right on top of us as we were leaving the port in Aruba, so it was a little sketchy for the first hour until we got out from under it.  One other time several years ago we skirted Hurricane Michael on Oasis (I believe).  It was a little bumpy (super windy) but nothing too crazy while we slept, by the next morning nothing but sunshine.  As noted above, if during the cruise the ship will go around it.  If it hits one of the destination ports, they will either give an extra sea day or may change to a different port.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sargemrs said:

Just worrying about what happens if there is a hurricane in end of August when we’re cruising on the Allure!  Anyone experienced what happens if so?

My suggestion is the ship will take care of you, worry about your car.

I lost my car to hurricane Ike, parked at ezcruise 

Sept 2021 a cat 1 passed thru Galveston and I did get some water seepage thru my drivers door and can see salt water still on my cloth seats, parked at lighthouse

I would consider a indoor parking place late August or sept. Maybe a higher elevation. The seawall side where they bring in sand is higher than the port side. I only had water up to my car top, the port had 17 ft of water during hurricane Ike.

Anyway .. my suggestion is to consider indoor parking depending on your car. Galveston floods easily. Or park at a hotel on higher ground, not near the port. 

• Like 2

I was on Allure when Ian hit. At that time Allure was sailing from Fort Lauderdale. The ship was taken probably further south to get across the Gulf to Mexico/Western Caribbean stops and away from Ian's path. The water was like glass. Watched Ian destroying Fort Myers beach near my home. Worried more about my home than my safety on the ship. I had parked my car at Park N Go and all seemed fine but when I washed my car a couple days after getting home, there were yellow spots all over the car that wouldn't come out. I really have no idea what it was, but decided maybe leaves from the trees around sat on the car until they dried up enough to blow off with the wind. Luckily I had a policy that covered damage like that and didn't have to pay a penny out of pocket. As far as my home, some of my neighbors had damage 😞  but I had nothing. As far as the cruise, it was great. Less motion than I've experienced when no storms were around!

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My suggestion is the ship will take care of you, worry about your car.

I lost my car to hurricane Ike, parked at ezcruise 

Sept 2021 a cat 1 passed thru Galveston and I did get some water seepage thru my drivers door and can see salt water still on my cloth seats, parked at lighthouse

I would consider a indoor parking place late August or sept. Maybe a higher elevation. The seawall side where they bring in sand is higher than the port side. I only had water up to my car top, the port had 17 ft of water during hurricane Ike.

Anyway .. my suggestion is to consider indoor parking depending on your car. Galveston floods easily. Or park at a hotel on higher ground, not near the port. 

Thank you for those ideas!  I’ve already paid for parking by the Terminal ( so we could just walk over) but may reconsider!  

5 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Thank you for those ideas!  I’ve already paid for parking by the Terminal ( so we could just walk over) but may reconsider!  

If a hurricane forecast you will know before you go in time to change, though ike was forecast to go straight to mexico or el paso when I left on a sunday. Friday 5 days later it took a unexpected dog leg toward Galveston. We werent offered a chance to cancel, it was go or lose our money.  Tbh I was on carnival not rcl. 

The cat 1 that hit Galveston 2 years ago was considered so minor it barely made the news. Flooding did happen but not enough to damage my car other than some rain seeping in through a closed door from the wind. Galveston does flood on the port side. 

Lol I'm cruising again this sept, prices were so good .. I wonder why. ..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ramja96 said:

We experienced an itinerary change last September on our Harmony cruise out of Port Canaveral. It was supposed to be an Eastern Carib itinerary, but was changed to Cozumel and Costa Maya due to Hurricane Ian.  While we were looking forward to an Eastern Carib route, the disappointment of going to Cozumel for the umpteenth time didn't deter us from having a fantastic time, still. Ironically, we had the calmest seas we've ever experienced in the Gulf.  This pic was during one of our sea days in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

image.thumb.jpeg.bee6a063efae964e6c31765bf05a8441.jpeg

We wouldn’t care for a change of ports.  We’re just going to be with family and the cruise.  We’re “ olders “ and afraid of the crime in our ports.  We plan to stay onboard.

• Like 1

Well, first thing is that it will be windy.  Your hair will get messy.  Hang on to your hat.  Ship might sway a bit.  

By the way, hurricane season is about 6 months long, and to worry about it is nonsense.  The ship will not sail into the eye, and in the worst case, you will be rerouted, but the cruise will go on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sargemrs said:

We wouldn’t care for a change of ports.  We’re just going to be with family and the cruise.  We’re “ olders “ and afraid of the crime in our ports.  We plan to stay onboard.

Which ports are you worried about that Allure goes to?

I can understand mobility and transport being a problem.

We were supposed to cruise when Hurricane Harvey hit in Texas. We got stuck at a hotel for 5  days. Cruise port, airports EVERYTHING closed down. But I think that was definitely  a worse case senerio. We wound up finally finding a van and drove over 30 hours home. 

We flew into Texas just as the hurricane was starting. It's a story for the books. But at the time it was scary and extremely disappointing. 

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Which ports are you worried about that Allure goes to?

I can understand mobility and transport being a problem.

Actually all of them on this cruise.  We’ve read about mugging, murders, poisonings….. maybe not right at the ports but close by….. scared!

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

We were supposed to cruise when Hurricane Harvey hit in Texas. We got stuck at a hotel for 5  days. Cruise port, airports EVERYTHING closed down. But I think that was definitely  a worse case senerio. We wound up finally finding a van and drove over 30 hours home. 

We flew into Texas just as the hurricane was starting. It's a story for the books. But at the time it was scary and extremely disappointing. 

3 families driving in but it would be a nightmare!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Actually all of them on this cruise.  We’ve read about mugging, murders, poisonings….. maybe not right at the ports but close by….. scared!

As far as I know Allure only goes to Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel? 

Obviously take precautions as with travel anywhere but I don’t think you will have any serious problems with those ports - maybe if you get redirected to Falmouth or Nassau.

There are a limited number of places Allure could go from Galveston. Anyway have fun and enjoy the ship.

Just now, c-leg5 said:

As far as I know Allure only goes to Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel? 

Obviously take precautions as with travel anywhere but I don’t think you will have any serious problems with those ports - maybe if you get redirected to Falmouth or Nassau.

There are a limited number of places Allure could go from Galveston. Anyway have fun and enjoy the ship.

Thanks for that!  We Will have fun!  Love cruising and love the family so it’s all good!

58 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Cozumel and roatan are islands. Roatan there arent excursions to the mainland. A excursion I took to cozumel said they have taken care of any homeless problems there. You never see any homeless do you?

Where close by have your heard of these things ... just curious if you mean across a ocean or somewhere in mexico and so you worry about some place else. It's like hearing of a crime in SF and saying well I'm not going to dallas sounds like.

But its ok to stay on the ship, but facts are important  .. where are these muggings etc. Cozumel is safer than most cities in the usa.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

We purposely choose Sept. as our prefered month because of them.  Fares are pretty much cheaper at the height of the season, yet on 15 cruises we've done in Sept. only one was a problem...and that was easily solved by rebooking our flight out of San Antonio 2 days earlier.  Got to the port the day before and our cruise went on as planned.  Only one other time was our itinerary changed, they started at the end in order and went backwards that fixed it.  They are great at workarounds during storms, don't sweat it.  We cruise Sept. 3rd coming up in fact on Allure...can't wait.

2 hours ago, sargemrs said:

This sounds like all the ports are in the U.S.   Other countries have a 'do not travel' warning for their citizens thinking of coming here.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They change itineraries to avoid the storm. 

Yup. 90's-early 2000's we use to do end of Aug/Labor Day week. One yr we had 4 named Hurricanes/Storms, during 3 years we had to change at least one stop and one we did the Ports were in reverse. Year of the 4 named, Wow! Even though we missed them all(of course) Gulf was all stirred up and Ship was a rocking, water washing out of Pools, plates crashing in Main Dining and by end of week couple dozen passengers with sprains and breaks in Wheelchairs and on Crutches. As many know my experience isnt typical for weeks around Labor Day, but can happen

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1