The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 30th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Creativity Day, Mint Julep Day, and Water a Flower Day

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something. - Wilson Mizner

Meal Suggestion for today - Strawberry Mint Chicken
Drink of the Day - Garden Delight
Wine of the Day - Leonetti Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon, Walla Walla Valley, Washington State
Destination of the Day - Valdez, Alaska

Today in History:
1911 1st Indianapolis 500: Ray Harroun driving a Marmon Wasp for Nordyke & Marmon Company comes out of retirement, wins inaugural event

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Nieuw Statendam

Eidfjord, Norway 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Oosterdam

Barcelona, Spain 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 31 May

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska

Zaandam

Sydney, Nova Scotia 1000-1800

Zuiderdam

Portland, England 0800-2300

0530World.thumb.png.742f709a64d41b7d7a7533b5e51acd6f.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Nice collection of days, I like creativity day and I do plan to water the flowers at some point.  Since it’s a workday I’ll have to pass on the mint julep.  I like the quote, because of the statistics classes that I took in college I have never been a gambler.  Probably some of the more profitable courses that I took!  I’ll bet there are some good recipes for today’s meal suggestion.  A garden delight sounds interesting.  I haven’t been to Valdez.  Prayers for those on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27

Tuesday May 30 care and celebration list

57redbird’s cousin with gioplastoma, prayers for peaceful passing and family comfort

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

St. Louis cruisers with a health scare

Marshhawk with Covid after cruise

Smitty34877 DH’s surgery May 31

Wildfire and tornado victims

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Summer Slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

NextOne needing valve surgery 

Celebrations

Tana, celebrating small wellness victories as they

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

Cruising-along good nephrologist appointment 

Luvteaching’s dh making good progress 

Dailyites pitching in with port information for cruzin terri

Celebrating our great group of people on this thread!

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

5 days for Suslor (eurodam June 3 to 10)

Oceansaway17 (Disney fantasy  to June 3)

DeniseT (n. Amsterdam to June 4)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

Thank you for the fleet report and daily.

We do not gamble and today's quote describes gambling perfectly.

Today's food sounds interesting.

We have never been to today's port so I am looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope everyone on the care list are improving.

I wish everyone a lovely day.

Screenshot_20230530_113829.jpg

Screenshot_20230530_113925.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie/Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  I think today is the actual day of Memorial Day from before it was moved to Monday.  No flowers to water and I'll pass on the Mint Julep.  Congrats to Josef Newgarden although I do not watch the 500.  I love the Mizner quote.  Valdez was my very first HAL port of call (Rotterdam V in 1997).  What I remember most is the end of the Alaska pipeline.  The meal sounds very nice.  My alternative is Orange and Grapefruit Medley, Prime Rib of Beef au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam May 30, 2015.

Off in about an hour for some groceries.

Roy

• Like 37

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily, the care and celebration report, and all the info to come!

Woke up to sad news. Yesterday afternoon, Two area teens were in a small boat on the Neches River, down the road from me.  Apparently the boat started taking on water, and somehow they ended up overboard.  One is still missing.   Please keep this young teen’s family and friends in your prayers, as the recovery mission resumes this morning 

Prayers to all in need, cheers to those celebrating.  Hug your family, and tell them you love them. Share a smile with a stranger. 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich  and thanks to Eva, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, Tina & Debbie and all who contribute.

Great collection of days - creativity is good for the soul.  I will definitely be watering flowers (ok plants not yet flowering 😉) today.  

LOL on the quote - so true most of the time.  Hmm- meal sounds interesting - looking forward to Tina’s twists on it.

I guess I have acknowledged my age ‘sigh’.  I sent off my application for my Old Age Security since this is the last year I am allowed to apply.

IMG_3654.thumb.jpeg.10bdcfb641937c3276b269bc459b0050.jpeg

Wildfires are tearing through Canada and sadly there are two in New Brunswick.  For those of you that might have come to Saint John and travelled to beautiful Saint Andrews By the Sea, (a popular tourist spot). it is under evacuation order.  Firefighters are struggling and hope to get it under control perhaps today - but so far there have been hundreds of hectares destroyed and Saint Andrews is under heavy threat. 

IMG_0653.thumb.jpeg.219068c87561104c12e923904f66046f.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg.1925fa5cc23352026ba21748dd33c901.jpeg

OMG on the Carnival Sunshine - could someone explain to me how when it was flooded so badly on that stormy voyage it could sail the next day after it arrived in port?  I don’t think I would want to be on that sailing.  Yikes.

IMG_3648.webp.17c1137e2b257dc13e04cbf42218012b.webp

Looks to be another nice day out there so Ivan and I will try to get some more stuff done.  I bought more earth yesterday and fear I will run out (again) today.  We’ll see.  Maybe I’ll take Ivan to a couple of garden centres to celebrate his one month gotcha’ day yesterday 😉 

IMG_3655.thumb.jpeg.327dac6e78765314afe9393afe0f372c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to all those celebrating.

IMG_3653.jpeg.27e73a8c360a890daafc624d739ff1e3.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone 🙂 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wildfires are tearing through Canada and sadly there are two in New Brunswick.  For those of you that might have come to Saint John and travelled to beautiful Saint Andrews By the Sea, (a popular tourist spot). it is under evacuation order.  Firefighters are struggling and hope to get it under control perhaps today - but so far there have been hundreds of hectares destroyed and Saint Andrews is under heavy threat

🙏🏻 Praying for all impacted.  I hope these fires can be contained quickly. Scary situation. 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday! It’s strawberry season in Maryland and we have been lucky enough to get two quarts every week since we started picking up our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)  produce on May 16.  Do you have CSAs where you live?  I highly recommend them as a way to support your local farmers and get fresh produce every week.  We pay for a half share upfront in the winter (works out to $15 a week) and  pick up local produce every week from the Spring through the Fall. 

Today’s meal is Strawberry Mint Chicken. This straightforward recipe grills chicken breasts and then a sauce made with strawberries and wine, thicken with cornstarch is poured over them.

image.png.ed3e399da4f76956aa84f61131a7bfe1.png

Chicken with Strawberry Salsa  This recipe marinades the breast with balsamic vinegar before grilling.  The strawberries and mint are made into a salsa with the addition of lime juice and onions.  I think the salsa looks great and plan on making some tonight!

image.png.d31e0054c92b6bcf289dc8745ec75532.png

Strawberry Mint Chicken Salad  This salad is full of delicious ingredients like toasted almonds, goat cheese, snap peas (also in season), grilled chicken and fresh strawberries that are tossed in a homemade mint dressing.

image.thumb.png.03e0fc8b5488b27fcd0d7dd13f33ea1f.png

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Garden Delight cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Gin
2 parts Tonic Water
2 slices Cucumber
1 large sprig Rosemary Sprigs

Instructions
Build into a tall glass over ice. Whip the sprig against the glass to release aroma before adding to the glass. Top with tonic water.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 7.23.11 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning!

I am back from a wonderful vacation. It was made more special with meeting fellow CC members and knowing you all were behind me on this adventure. It was a long but smooth trip home ( after my Olympic performance getting to the airport). I have my first load in the washer and I am catching up on what I missed. The DGK’s will come later and bring Molly back home. I am sure she is ready for old lady quiet. 

My thoughts on the cruise are very positive. I wish they had guest speakers to talk about the history (Vikings) and landscape of Norway. It is not the same having the cruise director reading off a piece of paper describing the magnificent scenery. I had some awesome tours and very knowledgeable guides to fill in the blanks. I had watched the History Channels series on the Vikings so I was set. Others were disappointed though. The food was very good. I was surprised how good the Lido was at dinner time. I had sailed Celebrity Edge in December and the OV cafe it was pitiful with only a few people eating there at night. This cruise the Lido was very busy at dinner. Club Orange was a hit. I booked an Amazon cruise for 2025 and paid for 2 FCC deposits. I guess I need to start shopping for some more cruises. 

Thanks again for everyone’s support. Prayers for those on care lists and others in need. I will catch up in the next few days. 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Garden Delight cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Gin
2 parts Tonic Water
2 slices Cucumber
1 large sprig Rosemary Sprigs

Instructions
Build into a tall glass over ice. Whip the sprig against the glass to release aroma before adding to the glass. Top with tonic water.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 7.23.11 AM.png

How appropriate for water a flower day. When does rosemary bloom? 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Rosemary is an ornamental evergreen shrub with attractive, aromatic, deep green leaves and blue flowers in spring and early summer.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to this morning. Thank you all for your birthday wishes. I will be celebrating it off & on throughout the week with different groups of family & friends. You can be sure there will be 🍷 .

Eva thank you for sharing our happenings. Hope you and your family have found peace. Debbie hope you continue to feel well. Can’t wait to see your newly painted house. Sandi, safe travels. 

Gym, Bindi walks, house cleaning and gathering with friends at our favorite wine bar. 

IMG_1346.jpeg.341640f0f214f2d0c257d78d9a79ba46.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg.9b1ed4dae4b8655c76a394330040d5b2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Leonetti Cellar 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon, Walla Walla Valley, Washington State

A lovely sounding Cab from Walla Walla. It has a hefty price, but all released vintages share the same superb/outstanding ratings. I used the 2020 vintage info, since that might be the most available. Find the best price near you, but the more recent vintages might need a bit more time. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $119.00. I would love a taste. 

Winemaker Notes

Very dark crimson to the rim of the glass. Explosive nose of baking spices, rising sourdough, honey, plum flower, and ripe plum fruit. Viscous and creamy on the palate, with notes of red currant and fresh herbs. The beautiful structure has full-bodied, fine-grained tannins and a long, luscious, and intense finish. Blend: 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Malbec, 6% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc

JS95 James Suckling

Aromas of blackcurrants and dark cherries, together with walnuts, licorice and dried rose petals. It’s full and structured, with fine-grained tannins that are firm and slightly chewy. Juicy and mellow fruit hiding underneath. Creamy finish. Better after 2025.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

Good morning. We have another beautiful day coming our way with temperatures going to the high sixties. DD was very busy planting a ridiculous amount of flowers in planters and along the sidewalk area. Watering will occur as no rain is predicted for a few days. We have not been to the port and the recipes look very good.

I have never gambled other than donating twenty dollars or so to a slot machine once. I was always afraid I would like it too much!

We will hopefully hear from the hospital,soon regarding time for the surgery tomorrow. DH is understandably nervous and this wait has been hard on him.He is very hard of hearing even with hearing aides and worries that he will not be able to communicate well. I will stay with him until they take him to the OR. My plan is to go home(8 traffic filled miles) and wait to hear. I assume he will be overnight in the hospital at the very least.

@kazu, Jacqui, the wildfires look just horrifying and I do remember going to that area when we were in St John. Ivan looks very happy on the couch with his toy,however. Does he like the car? I hope you both enjoy the outing to the garden center.

We get a CSA box here every week but strawberries are a way off as it has been cooler than usual for May. I find I have to use my culinary creativity a lot in order to utilize things properly. I was recently asked very nicely by the teenager not to make more recipes with beets. He did say last night that he liked the pasta with asparagus I made. Phew!

@dfish, Debbie, I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your walks. It is great that the pain is less already. Please don’t overdo.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a hot one here in mid-Michigan today.  Forecasted high is 90F.  Something is wrong with my trusty window fan for the bedroom.  I turned it on last night and it shrieked like crazy.  I'll have to investigate today.  

@cruising sister Welcome home, Lorraine!   I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise.  Norway is hard not to enjoy.  

@ocean sounds What a sad thing to happen.  My thoughts and prayers for those involved and their families.

I am sure hoping the fires can be contained soon.  It has been so dry here that I understand that one errant ember can be a problem.  

I am happy to report that I am feeling almost 100% at this point.  My only complaint is the itching around the incisions, but that is normal.  So, we are all systems go here.  We're going to get paint samples and try them out on the back trim.  The color we are looking for will be the two doors as well as the trim around the roofline.  There is a house down the street that has a lighter orange color as their accent.  So, I am leaning towards the cranberry to be different.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful.  It is kind of a variation of the salmon with strawberry relish.  I have a recipe for minted chicken that I enjoy.  But, I will definitely have to try this one.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 36

@RedneckBob I thought the same thing when I saw our cocktail and the minty chicken.  Total pass on those.  But the wine is a terrific wine. 

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports each day Rich.   Yesterday was water the flowers day.  We got the lake pump working so everything got a long drink and my rain barrels filled to the top.  Good thing because we have little meaningful rain in our forecast.   Today is attempting to get the Starlink installed on the roof of the porch.  

Lots of news coverage of the Carnival Sunshine in the bad storm.  It had to be so scary for those expecting calm seas.  Pipes do break when there are rough seas.   We had just left Antarctica and the high waves and wind on the Volendam when the pipe broke on our floor.  When one signs up for Antarctica one knows to expect rough seas but these poor folks weren't signed up for that.   One thing was our Captain Arno kept us up to date on upcoming challenges. 

Eva thanks for keeping our Cares and Celebrations lists.  Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine.   

Have a great Tuesday.   Nancy 

• Like 30

Good Morning to All!!

I am creative, never had a Mint Julep, and my flower always die - probably because I over water them!!

The food - hmmmm.  I don't think I have ever been to Valdez during my 2 contracts in AK.

It is 65 degrees now heading to a high of 97.  🙂 I think Martina (my cat) knows something is going on as she is more and more clingy.  Cruise stuff is almost completely packed and working on the cross county drive stuff.  Munchies, water and soda bought for the drive, which will probably take me 5 days to reach Long Island.  Unless I see something interesting that will divert me from my "sort of" planned route.

Thoughts for those on the care list, BV to those sailing and I hope Canada's fires get under control!!

Off to the gym for the last day before my adventure.  Have a great Tuesday everyone!!

• Like 27

33 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

RedneckBob, Rosemary usually blooms after three or four mint juleps.  It all depends on how quickly she drinks them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

Good morning. Other than toiletries and meds I’m packed and in the can we go now mode! C’mon Thursday. House cleaners will be here soon. I believe tonight will either be dine out or pizza delivery. Wednesday night dear friends have invited us to dinner so we are pretty well covered.

Currently 65 but another beautiful day will bring temperatures to mid eighties. Weather has been gorgeous.

Thanks for the reports and have a safe week to all.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.85e83ee624bb11552f20164317f18358.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.18b2ecda3513953153c481e474f40aae.jpegimage.jpeg.c4ec7a63539ffee86e0ca46f0c600360.jpegimage.jpeg.195c982bbe3d951a8e7d66f0217fd764.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f484819f9f0436afbf1e6d411f3a4c68.jpegimage.jpeg.93e97dda75371bdf964e78f38197e17e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 22

42 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We have another beautiful day coming our way with temperatures going to the high sixties. DD was very busy planting a ridiculous amount of flowers in planters and along the sidewalk area. Watering will occur as no rain is predicted for a few days. We have not been to the port and the recipes look very good.

I have never gambled other than donating twenty dollars or so to a slot machine once. I was always afraid I would like it too much!

We will hopefully hear from the hospital,soon regarding time for the surgery tomorrow. DH is understandably nervous and this wait has been hard on him.He is very hard of hearing even with hearing aides and worries that he will not be able to communicate well. I will stay with him until they take him to the OR. My plan is to go home(8 traffic filled miles) and wait to hear. I assume he will be overnight in the hospital at the very least.

@kazu, Jacqui, the wildfires look just horrifying and I do remember going to that area when we were in St John. Ivan looks very happy on the couch with his toy,however. Does he like the car? I hope you both enjoy the outing to the garden center.

We get a CSA box here every week but strawberries are a way off as it has been cooler than usual for May. I find I have to use my culinary creativity a lot in order to utilize things properly. I was recently asked very nicely by the teenager not to make more recipes with beets. He did say last night that he liked the pasta with asparagus I made. Phew!

@dfish, Debbie, I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your walks. It is great that the pain is less already. Please don’t overdo.

Sending your husband our best wishes for his operation tomorrow Terry.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1