snacking between meals

tobymurph

Is it possible to snack between meals when onboard? if we felt like some cheese and crackers, for example, can we get it anytime or just certain times during the day? Can you bring your own snacks on board ?

Hi Toby!

I looked back at your postings until I saw that you will be on the Koningsdam. Good luck for you! The K'dam, as a Pinnacle Class ship, has the Grand Dutch Cafe on Deck 3 (across the attrium from the Front Office). The snacks there are free, while the beverages will come out of your Beverage Package. I believe you did finally get HIA? 

Can't say for sure there is cheese and crackers, but there are tasty fries with peanut sauce and mayo. That was our go to. Oh, here is the posted menu:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Grand-Dutch-Cafe-2021-1.pdf

So no crackers (although they also have packaged Dutch snacks, maybe something cracker-y there). But several sandwiches with different types of cheese, you could de-construct...

• Like 2

If you think you'll want some cheese and crackers, the surest thing to do is make up a small cheese plate and put it in your mini fridge. Pack some one gallon slider plastic bags to keep it fresh.

Also, the room service menu has cheese and crackers on the 24 hour menu.

• Like 4

@tobymurphYes, you can bring packaged snacks on board, but honestly, there is plenty to eat! 

*French fries at the Dive in up until 6 or 7pm when they close.

*Gelato at the Gelato bar. 

*Lido buffet "usually" has potato chips and cookies that you can get a bowl of to take away.

*Peanuts at the Ocean Bar (they had them last fall anyway). 

*Room service has several things.  Check the menu's on @Crew News website:          Room-Service-S-and-Pinnacle.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

*The Pizza place is open up until evening. 

*Chips and candy $$ in the shops when they are open.

*On sea days Afternoon Tea in the MDR at about 3-3:45pm. 

*Explorations cafe has some things.

Is there something else in particular you have in mind?

~Nancy

• Like 3

As @crystalspin mentioned, you can get a great selection of snacks (and really light meals) at Grand Dutch Cafe; I LOVE that place!

And as others have mentioned, room service 24/7 has cheese and crackers, it comes with fruit (grapes, I think).

Yes you can take snacks oboard - we take trail mix & protein bars for shore hikes.

You can also take fruit from Lido to your cabin as well as order thru room service.

My first HAL cruise, I brought on board a pouch of beef jerky.  Turned out, never opened it.  Most folks will learn that they eat in a "robust" manner --- that the gap between breakfast & lunch (and the one, lunch & dinner) won't require any snack items. 

But, that is just my opinion. 

Like others have said, there is always room service.

---MisterMatthew

22 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

My first HAL cruise, I brought on board a pouch of beef jerky.  Turned out, never opened it.

I always take a couple of protein bars. I tend to take all-day tours (or plan to be off the ship most of the day), so these come in handy sometimes when it's lunchtime and you're nowhere convenient for a meal. You can't take nonsealed food items off the ship, so these are an easy out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I remember one girl who brought cheese curls onboard. They aren't available on the ship I  guess. 

It can be fun to see what snacks the crews will bring back on board.  Even saw a Phillipine grocery store on one of our cruises. My wife brings granola bars on our excursions.  

Yes, there have always been plenty of snack type foods on the Lido buffet.  If you want to have them in your cabin, bringing plastic bags to store them in is a great idea.  I like that suggestion for a late night snack while watching a movie on Lido or in my cabin.

Pre packaged snack items as mentioned are also good for port days.  I usually bring a tumbler to fill for lemonade/tea/coffee to take back to our cabin or to shore on port days.

I just wish HAL had a better selection of non alcoholic beverages, but that is for another thread.