Infinity - No Murano

hampshirelad

Looking at booking a November Med cruise ans surprised to find that Murano has disappeared. As Tuscan grill has not changed the menu for a generation and Petit Chef is something you do once - a bit disappointed. No sure how the space has been used or what the thinking was behind it. Have happy memories of the Infinity  , Buenos Aires - Santiago , when during a force 10 down in the Southern Ocean a whole stack of deckchairs was washed overboard. That was proper cruising !. If any body has cruised on the Infinity recently I am interested in how she is keeping and what the food was like.

Many thanks

Murano is only on S class not M or E class

I love Le Petit chef we do it at least once a cruise on last M class we did it twic , 4 course meal, we also did Sushi at 5 multiple times 

Edited by George C
  • Like 2

M class ships, years ago, had restaurants similiar  to Murano.  On at least  1 ship it was called Ocean Liners.  Those restaurants were replaced with Tuscan.  LPC now has 4 different menus and animations.

We  had  a terrible dinner in Tuscan  early in our Summit cruise last month and had won a free dinner so we booked  the newest LPC last month.   We enjoyed both the show and the menu.  We had done 2 other LPC shows and this was by far the best of the 3.    

58 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I don’t think Murano ever was on any M class ship.

It wasn't called Murano but did serve the same menu.  They were spectacular restaurants on the M class ships decorated with items from some of the classic ocean liners.  

• Like 1

Original specialty restaurant on Infinity was Normandie.  I think it has been gone for nearly a decade.

All four of the original M-Class ships have had their launch specialty restaurants removed.

They were:

Millennium - Olympic

Infinity - Normandie (Panels from the French Liner Normandie are now in the Normandie Dining Room on Edge)

Summit - SS United States

Constellation - Ocean Liners

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

If any body has cruised on the Infinity recently I am interested in how she is keeping and what the food was like.

We were on Infinity last week and I was really disappointed with the food. Tuscan Grill and Sushi on Five were great but the MDR wasn't a good as usual. The buffet was fully stocked but it was mainly over-sauced foods with questionable ingredients (chow mein, beef stew, etc).

We have a cruise booked for next year and, if the food hasn't come back to Celebrity's standard, we may be moving on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

We have a cruise booked for next year and, if the food hasn't come back to Celebrity's standard, we may be moving on. 

You mean standard of days gone by. Ask anyone at Celebrity right now and I’m certain they will tell you their food offerings are up to their current standards. 

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

We were on Infinity last week and I was really disappointed with the food. Tuscan Grill and Sushi on Five were great but the MDR wasn't a good as usual. The buffet was fully stocked but it was mainly over-sauced foods with questionable ingredients (chow mein, beef stew, etc).

We were on the Summit in early May and we thought the food at dinner in the MDR was very good to excellent. We didn’t go there for breakfast or lunch.

3 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Original specialty restaurant on Infinity was Normandie.  I think it has been gone for nearly a decade.

All four of the original M-Class ships have had their launch specialty restaurants removed.

They were:

Millennium - Olympic

Infinity - Normandie (Panels from the French Liner Normandie are now in the Normandie Dining Room on Edge)

Joe

You have the named restaurants for Infinity and Summit switched around. 

Here are their obituaries in the USA TODAY:

Celebrity Cruises to jettison history-filled restaurants

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/10/09/celebrity-cruises-restaurant-makeover/73640978/

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

It wasn't called Murano but did serve the same menu.  They were spectacular restaurants on the M class ships decorated with items from some of the classic ocean liners.  

My memory is similar.  We dined in all four of the M-class Murano equivalent restaurants, and if the menu wasn't identical to what is served in Murano now it was darn close.

@mahdnc, you are spot on! When I was a child, I sailed with my family on the SS United States from New York to the UK. On my first few sailings on the Infinity, I was delighted to eat in that restaurant and look at the photos, menus, and artifacts from the SS United States. It brought back so many memories! And yes, the food in that restaurant on the Infinity was Very similar to Murano…very rich and delicious!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@mahdnc, you are spot on! When I was a child, I sailed with my family on the SS United States from New York to the UK. On my first few sailings on the Infinity, I was delighted to eat in that restaurant and look at the photos, menus, and artifacts from the SS United States. It brought back so many memories! And yes, the food in that restaurant on the Infinity was Very similar to Murano…very rich and delicious!

Wow, you got to sail on the all time Blue Riband champ!  How cool is that?  When I lived in Philadelphia, I could see her berthed and wasting away on the Delaware River--a shadow of her former self.  I think she is still there.

You probably know, they did squirrel away some SS United States memorabilia and put them on display aboard Infinity.  For new cruisers to Celebrity, it probably is an interesting display; but it is a sad reminder for those of us that were lucky enough to eat there.

• Like 1

Awww, thanks! Yes, I have seen the changes on the Infinity over the years. On one of our cruises on her (the last before many of her dry docks) there was hardly ANY air conditioning and plenty of plumbing problems. Went on her again after the purported dry dock, and not much had improved - our cabin was unreasonably hot. Haven’t been on her in years, although the Summit and Millie are lovely post-revolution. We also liked the Connie, but if she has been revolutionized, we have not been on her since then.

2 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

Awww, thanks! Yes, I have seen the changes on the Infinity over the years. On one of our cruises on her (the last before many of her dry docks) there was hardly ANY air conditioning and plenty of plumbing problems. Went on her again after the purported dry dock, and not much had improved - our cabin was unreasonably hot. Haven’t been on her in years, although the Summit and Millie are lovely post-revolution. We also liked the Connie, but if she has been revolutionized, we have not been on her since then.

We last sailed on Infinity in Dec 2016 and I thought she was in very good shape.  Recent reports circulating in this forum say she is in need of maintenance.

We sailed on Constellation last Nov.  Like Infinity, she is not yet Revolutionized.  Constellation was in very good shape with a top notch cruise.  Sadly, I never got a chance to eat at the Ocean Liners restaurant on Connie because last year's cruise was our first time on her.

• Like 1

One of the main reasons for us not cruising on M class for some years has been the removal of the ‘liners’ restaurants. They were beautiful and always felt special. I can remember them doing a champagne afternoon tea with a string duo as well as that lovely Murano style evening service.

Well we are now booked on Infinity for next year! A mixture of an itinerary we liked plus a yearning to return to M class has made our mind up. 

We plan to do the following to ‘fill the gap’.

We are in a suite so we will have access to Luminae.

We are aware you can order from the MDR so will consider, also we have read that with 24 hour notice Luminae will prepare off menu items. We have only ever done this once but may utilise more.

We will visit Tuscan and Sushi at least twice each.

Possible visit LPC once.

Look for the chefs market tour excursion which is a trip to a local market followed by a special meal for the group later using some of the produce bought.

Use evening room service at least one night and dine on the balcony (Santorini when we don’t leave until 10pm).

Look out to see if Sushi does a ‘Taste of India’ special night.

Use the buffet one or two evenings if we are tired…

Consider doing a Chef’s Table again. We were put off this after dining with Mr Talk a Lot and his wife Mrs Drink a Lot but I think they are the exception rather than the usual…

I don’t think we will starve…

9 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

Looking at booking a November Med cruise ans surprised to find that Murano has disappeared. As Tuscan grill has not changed the menu for a generation and Petit Chef is something you do once - a bit disappointed. No sure how the space has been used or what the thinking was behind it. Have happy memories of the Infinity  , Buenos Aires - Santiago , when during a force 10 down in the Southern Ocean a whole stack of deckchairs was washed overboard. That was proper cruising !. If any body has cruised on the Infinity recently I am interested in how she is keeping and what the food was like.

Many thanks

Can I suggest you look at the recent Norwaylady live B2B report. Lots of great Blu pictures from the first cruise and MDR from the second. The MDR food looked very nice…

9 hours ago, JoePDX said:

They were:

Millennium - Olympic

Joe

I believe the Summit had Normandie and Infinity was SS United States.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DingoMom said:

My first job in 1967 was as a computer operator for US lines , at the time SS United States and SSAmerica were still sailing, I never got a chance to sail either but many of my coworkers did heard great stories.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Well we are now booked on Infinity for next year! A mixture of an itinerary we liked plus a yearning to return to M class has made our mind up. 

We plan to do the following to ‘fill the gap’...

We have a similar conundrum facing us in 2025, with a Japan cruise on Millennium.

Last time we were onboard we were in the Retreat so Luminae supplemented with Tuscan and So5 was sufficient, but this time no Retreat (sold out and we wouldn't have paid what they were asking anyway ).

.. add in that there is no World Class bar either and we are starting to feel like the experience is going to be a bit flat compared to our recent cruises on 'S' class ships...

48 minutes ago, hampshirelad said:

Many thanks for all the information following my original post. Just goes to  prove out out of date I am as have been on the S Class ships more recently

I think it is about 10 years since we were last on M class. I guess we have simply become ‘comfortable’ with S class.

We will board Infinity with our eyes wide open to her status as a refined old lady with a few wrinkles…I bit like me really…I should fit in really well…

Seriously we have no intentions of comparing her to the S class, we aim to enjoy as a different experience but hopefully still that lovely relaxing ambiance we book Celebrity for…

• Haha 1

Thanks to information from other members, I present the correct list of the original specialty restaurants on the Millennium Class ships:

They were:

Millennium - Olympic

Infinity - SS United States

Summit - Normandie (Carved wall panels from the French Liner Normandie are now in the Normandie Dining Room on Edge)

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Sadly, I never got a chance to eat at the Ocean Liners restaurant on Connie because last year's cruise was our first time on her.

Ocean Liners did not have a singular feature like the other specialty restaurants - like the wall panels from the original Olympic or Normandie.   Instead there was at least one showcase as you entered the restaurant that displayed items from several different lines/ships.  I seem to remember silver items from Cunard.  There was also a short video playing on a loop narrated by the late maritime historian John Maxtone-Graham.   

Joe

Edited by JoePDX