Odd question- medical services on RCCL

Have you ever needed medical attention in board? If so, how were you billed? My daughter went to the medical office for an x-ray after falling during ice skating.  No break.

Since she was with her grandparents I've gotten not much information about the visit (picked her up at 8am from a nearby parking lot. I think they've been sleeping ever since lol). Wondering if they were even asked about insurance information.  I have medical insurance but also took the travel insurance. 

Is it likely we'll get a bill in the mail from RCCL?  Even if I do i imagine between the medical portion of the RCCL offered insurance and our own medical insurance it'll be covered....just wondering if people typically pay on the ship or get billed after. 

I paid a small bill on the ship. I've never heard of being billed after you depart the ship.

There is a set charge for xrays that for me would have posted to my account onboard. They shou,d br able to see the charge if they are still onboard.

• Like 2

Just now, firefly333 said:

I paid a small bill on the ship. I've never heard of being billed after you depart the ship.

There is a set charge for xrays that for me would have posted to my account onboard. They shou,d br able to see the charge if they are still onboard.

They got off the ship Friday   i am able to see my daughter's folio but not much is detailed except for gratuities and the arcade 🙄.  I'll see if they are technology able to retrieve theirs lol. Ty

Did you purchase the travel insurance thru Royal?  If yes, then you should not billed.

Royal does not accept standard land based medical insurance that you may have thru an employer.

Maybe ask the Grandparents if they were billed.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did you purchase the travel insurance thru Royal?  If yes, then you should not billed.

Royal does not accept standard land based medical insurance that you may have thru an employer.

Maybe ask the Grandparents if they were billed.

Through RCCL yes.   But I haven't been able to ask them yet. I looked at their final folio and saw no charges for medical services.  

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I thought cruise lines covered med visits for onboard injuries.

That I don't know. I assume we, as passengers, take responsibility for any injuries we sustain participating in activities? 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree. Doubt get bill after leaving Ship. Our experiences, Sick Calls since CV, all were Colds with Neg CV Testing my Family & Friends recieved no Bill. A Sprain falling on Ice, was no Bill. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I thought cruise lines covered med visits for onboard injuries.

They did for us.  In 2014, DD cut her head in the pool on night 1.  Sutures, followups, and no charge.

In 2016(?), I sprained my knee playing volleyball.  X-rays, crutches for a day, then a cane to get off the ship, no charge.

OP, they wouldn't have let them off the ship without taking care of the bill.  If it didn't get charged to the cabin, they're not billing for it.

• Like 4

Wife took a tumble last year when her walker hit a bump (between hard floor and carpet) on Radiance and they (Safety team) took her to the Medical Dept to check her out since it was "kind of" their fault. No XRays, but she did see a doctor who checked her out, for a bump on the noggin and a band aid on her arm. never saw any bill. Signed more paperwork about the accident itself than her injuries.

If they were going to charge, they would have sent an itemized bill to the cabin in an envelope and the charge would have been listed on the final bill/invoice. 
Otherwise, they didn’t charge for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Wife took a tumble last year when her walker hit a bump (between hard floor and carpet) on Radiance and they (Safety team) took her to the Medical Dept to check her out since it was "kind of" their fault. No XRays, but she did see a doctor who checked her out, for a bump on the noggin and a band aid on her arm. never saw any bill. Signed more paperwork about the accident itself than her injuries.

The way dd tells it (she's 13 so grain of salt needed) she was met with one of the ice show "captains" or leaders who then called the Safety Team.  That team was asking a number of questions she identified as "investigating" the incident. 

Maybe that was the official accident report? 

• Like 1

I was injured on Freedom about a year ago and broke my foot (my fault, turned wrong and my foot went sideways) and went to medical.  There was no charge because I got hurt on the ship.  I fully expected to pay and also had trip insurance, but we asked and they said it would not cost anything.  So guessing you will not be charged for an accident on the ship. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

If they were going to charge, they would have sent an itemized bill to the cabin in an envelope and the charge would have been listed on the final bill/invoice. 
Otherwise, they didn’t charge for it. 

Exactly this.  You do not leave the ship unless you pay if you were going to be charged.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

The way dd tells it (she's 13 so grain of salt needed) she was met with one of the ice show "captains" or leaders who then called the Safety Team.  That team was asking a number of questions she identified as "investigating" the incident. 

Maybe that was the official accident report? 

Your daughter was hurt on the cruise and your parents haven’t been in contact with you to answer these questions?  Were they not with her when you picked her up from a nearby parking lot?  Heck my grandson threw up on CocoCay and his parents got a full report of the incident as soon as we disembarked.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, poocher said:

Your daughter was hurt on the cruise and your parents haven’t been in contact with you to answer these questions?  Were they not with her when you picked her up from a nearby parking lot?  Heck my grandson threw up on CocoCay and his parents got a full report of the incident as soon as we disembarked.

No i heard all about the incident and trip to medical.  It's the bill I started wondering about in retrospect.  

• Like 1

When my son was 3, he lacerated his cheek on a bathroom sink on the Serenade.  His height hit perfect to the public wash sink and it was sharp. he needed liquid stitches. 

The doctor on board fixed him up and gave him a lolli for being so good about it. I was never asked to pay anything. We also received some nice treats on our room later that night. I suspect they were hoping I didn’t make a fuss about it! 

I hope your daughter is okay. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, twinmommy08 said:

When my son was 3, he lacerated his cheek on a bathroom sink on the Serenade.  His height hit perfect to the public wash sink and it was sharp. he needed liquid stitches. 

The doctor on board fixed him up and gave him a lolli for being so good about it. I was never asked to pay anything. We also received some nice treats on our room later that night. I suspect they were hoping I didn’t make a fuss about it! 

I hope your daughter is okay. 

Let's put it this way, she's injured enough to not have to do chores, but no so hurt  we need to cancel our cruise in 40 days. 

🤪

Thank you...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Through RCCL yes.   But I haven't been able to ask them yet. I looked at their final folio and saw no charges for medical services.  

She didn't get charged for her xray and visit because it would have been on her account whether she had insurance through Royal Caribbean or another travel insurance provider.  It is typical for them not to charge for medical if you are injured on the ship.  If you did have to pay, it would be on her account and would have to be paid before she left the ship.  You would then have to file with your medical insurance company and if they didn't pay it, you then would file with your travel insurance company.  No insurance is accepted in the medical facility whether it is your primary insurance at home, Royal's travel insurance or any other insurance provider.

• Like 1

Last year I spent about 75 minutes in the ship "ICU" and the bill was $2200. We had to pay the bill immediately before they turned the ship around and went back to port to off load me to an ambulance to take me to the local shore side hospital. Trust me, they wanted payment right then. I will also say that the medical care I was given on the ship was EXCELLENT! Two board certified ER doctors and two nurses. Much better than the care  I received in the San Juan hospital. My 3rd. party medical coverage payed for almost all of the ship board medical care costs. My regular healthcare coverage paid for the hospital in San Juan and the ambulance - they were even 'in network'! 

• Like 1

I went to medical twice last year for falls. 1st at CocoCay water park, second was a fall on the ship. Both times I was X-rayed and given ankle wrap. No charge for either. Safety officers came and spoke with me both times, I think that’s standard

You shouldn’t be getting any sort of bill

They won’t let you off the ship with any kind of balance on an account