Another Carnival passenger jumps overboard

ontheweb

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Sad. 

And, equally sad, Carnival seems to be the industry leader. Perhaps it's just because Carnival has so many ships, so they're going to have this happen more often, but...

Tom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sad. 

And, equally sad, Carnival seems to be the industry leader. Perhaps it's just because Carnival has so many ships, so they're going to have this happen more often, but...

Tom

Or just reported on more?  We don't see European or Asian cruise news

42 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sad. 

Tom

If someone is hell bend on jumping there is really nothing stopping them, but on  Royal and NCL the ledges are higher in the common areas. The elation has very low railings. 

Also Carnival doesn’t have that many more ships and if you add the others there are many more than Carnival’s total. 

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It may well be "an American thing"... dunno

Anyone have the stats?

Tom

https://crew-center.com/news  ? 

I don't think it an American thing but I do think it it is publicized more by American attorneys.  I also think other cultures may not publish suicides to protect families.

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sad. 

Tom

I'd be interested in seeing where you got these "stats" from...  where did you get the information that Carnival is the industry leader in numbers of people jumping overboard?

Just now, angelsfort said:

I'd be interested in seeing where you got these "stats" from...  where did you get the information that Carnival is the industry leader in numbers of people jumping overboard?

I didn't have the stats - mine was purely speculation at that point (saying they seem to be the industry leader). In a later post I asked if anyone had the stats.

I did a quick search and found THIS (lots more out there). And, HERE'S another one.

Tom

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I didn't have the stats - mine was purely speculation at that point (saying they seem to be the industry leader). In a later post I asked if anyone had the stats.

I did a quick search and found THIS (lots more out there). And, HERE'S another one.

Tom

Thanks for the research. But I have a feeling that Carnival does not really want to be known as the leading cruise line for passengers to go overboard. 🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks for the research. But I have a feeling that Carnival does not really want to be known as the leading cruise line for passengers to go overboard. 🤦‍♂️

Interesting article HERE. (Disney has the technology, but being the "happiest place on earth", perhaps they don't need it - unless you're being stalked by Mickey or something!)

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sad. 

Tom

If true, perhaps it is because Carnival the price leader and the elite prefer other methods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Interesting article HERE. (Disney has the technology, but being the "happiest place on earth", perhaps they don't need it - unless you're being stalked by Mickey or something!)

Tom

I did not know that the idiot removed his clothes while still on the ship.

Well it goes without saying that suicidal thoughts crosses all income levels … that said something is fueling this.   But … it could have been a simple as him being very drunk, starts arguing with GF and jumps off while thinking “I’ll show her.”    Youthful stupidity perhaps combined with alcohol?   The Elation cruises are “booze cruises” so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out if alcohol is involved.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GwenyP said:

Well it goes without saying that suicidal thoughts crosses all income levels … that said something is fueling this.   But … it could have been a simple as him being very drunk, starts arguing with GF and jumps off while thinking “I’ll show her.”    Youthful stupidity perhaps combined with alcohol?   The Elation cruises are “booze cruises” so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out if alcohol is involved.   

Suicide sites attract suicides.  The Golden Gate is one example.  There are several bridges in the area but Golden Gate is chosen.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sad. 

Tom

Though Jumping/Falling is really nothing new. "Total of 212 overboard incidents on Cruise Ships from 2009 to 2019. But of those hundreds who went into the water, only 48 were successfully rescued"  ...I remember one from years ago, Senior Citizen on return leg of Cruise packed his Suitcase in his Cabin and jumped. Was a while before they even realized he was Missing.

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Their lives, their choices, their decisions. I would not pass judgement on them. 

They have to be hurting pretty badly to get to that point. Unfortunate that others cannot recognize or prevent

• Like 2