What would you like to see next from MSC

stuart2468

Just doing a little light reading, and noticed that all Seaside & Meraviglia class ships are now delivered, and World America is 2 years away. Which kinda leaves 2024 as a bit of a lull year by MSC's standards. I know there is the Explora ships to come, and no doubt to perfect the operation.

But it made me ponder:

What do we think is next from MSC? Is there likely any grand announcment or new class of ship to be announced?

What would YOU like to see next from MSC. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

For the US market - 

Update their IT / website, customer service, policies / procedures on making changes to your cruise so it isn’t a huge ordeal to make a simple change without causing a price increase or other problem. 

Until they get those things right, more ships won’t be needed in the US market.

If they can get those things resolved, I would like to see: 

- Better Eastern Caribbean itineraries from Miami & Port Canaveral to include a mix of St Martin / St Maarten, St Thomas, St Croix, Tortola, etc. 

- A ship to homeport in San Juan for Southern / Far Eastern Caribbean itineraries. San Juan is easier and cheaper to get to than Martinique or Guadalupe for most Americans. 

- Two ships in Alaska in the summer - one Roundtrip from Seattle and one sailing one-way between Vancouver & Seward or Whittier. Explora will be sailing to Alaska, but they are priced above the average MSC cruiser.

- A second ship in the Northeast during the summer & fall for Canada / New England cruises. Meraviglia is doing a few itineraries and maybe will add more of the demand is there.

• Like 5

Pipe dreams, I know, but I would like to see one of the older, smaller ships sail from JAX, my closest port.  I know Armonia class could fit under the bridge, and I think Musica class, too.  Some five day cruises from JAX and Port Canaveral.  EM

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they view the Lirica class ship in the next few years. They certainly look much older vessels than the Musica Class. However this Lirica class seem to stay fairly close to the eastern Med/South African market (the odd exceptions of course) so i would guess the ports dictate this. However very rearly do the mainstreem cruise lines build new, smaller, vessels.

My hopes would be

- The announcement of a new ship order at the end of 2024/early 2025 of a new class, larger than the world class, but would expect to be smaller than the ICON class to extend deliveries up unitl 2032. Whilst i'd love MSC to take RCI title away from them, i expect this will be unlikely. 

- Itinaries into Alaska. This is the destination that was the only itininary I ever wanted to do, prior to trying a cruise. (yeah that soon changed) To cruise MSC their would be a dream.

- East Coast USA - Hawaii. Think this may be a long way off yet though. Possibly late 20s Early 30s. Musica Class ships would be the perfect start for this, assuming ports allow. 

• Like 1

A more appetizing selection of food in the buffet.  MSC is unlike other lines that have the satellite quick eat spots so it forces people to the buffet.  Have some variety so passengers don't feel todays selections are the exact same thing that were offered yesterday.  Show a little imagination on the dinner buffet and offer a couple of dishes that are being served in the MDR that night like the competition.  

Maybe more Far East Cruises,  Australia and New Zealand (I know bit far fetched) building of med size ships for a change rather than following who can build the biggest ship. Hoping they stay true to their Italian roots and independence. Oh and adding another level to voyager club after Diamond.

Edited by Cruiseforever11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

- Better Eastern Caribbean itineraries from Miami & Port Canaveral to include a mix of St Martin / St Maarten, St Thomas, St Croix, Tortola, etc. 

That would be great but is unlikely. 

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

- A ship to homeport in San Juan for Southern / Far Eastern Caribbean itineraries. San Juan is easier and cheaper to get to than Martinique or Guadalupe for most Americans. 

Before Covid, I was planning on flying down there to sail Seaview. The prices were good and the flights weren't bad. San Juan would be easier and could compete with the other lines that sail out of PR. 

53 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

- The announcement of a new ship order at the end of 2024/early 2025 of a new class, larger than the world class, but would expect to be smaller than the ICON class to extend deliveries up unitl 2032. Whilst i'd love MSC to take RCI title away from them, i expect this will be unlikely. 

The "arms race" for largest cruise ship is probably over. RCCL is winning the war and doesn't seem likely to let any ship be larger than the largest "...of the Seas". It's cool to see what the lines come up with when they both steal from each other and try to out do each other. 

21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The "arms race" for largest cruise ship is probably over. RCCL is winning the war and doesn't seem likely to let any ship be larger than the largest "...of the Seas". It's cool to see what the lines come up with when they both steal from each other and try to out do each other. 

I suspect you're probably right on this score. 

5-7 night itineraries out of Canaveral that go somewhere other than Nassau. Puerto Rico is amazing (hint, hint) and you could still hit their private island. That's a selfish wish though as Canaveral is only 45 mins from our house.

Honestly, I love smaller ship cruising and love the posted Explora itineraries. Really awesome ports that only smaller ships can use. Definitely a magnitude more expensive than than the YC on MSC, but if Explora delivers a true "all-suite" experience at a price that currently is lower than Regent and Oceania, then that may be worth exploring if you can status match from MSC. 

Warmest, Amy

Revive the Italian roots and traditions.

Better dress code, classical music.

Do not americanize.

Transfer the best (lMHO :classic_rolleyes:) from the European to the American sailings and vice versa, e.g. the room service breakfast from the US to Europe, the more Italian lunch and dinner menu from Europe to the US. 

• Like 3

Add more complimentary food options or have more main dining rooms open for lunch. All buffets are gross on all cruise lines. So, I am not knocking MSC, just buffets. Yuck.

• Like 2

• More/longer sailings to Bermuda out of east coast ports
  • Longer sailings on newer ships out of Florida
  • Southern Caribbean sailings out of San Juan
  • Alaska cruises
  • Anytime dining available without all the other Aurea "perks", even if for an additional fee
  • Drinks allowed in the theater
  • Some included casual dining outside of the buffet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A better website would be nice, but at this point it's almost endearing how bad it is.

More port of call. I'm not really sure what my wife and I book next with MSC after our NE/Canada trip in October on the Meraviglia. We've done the Caribbean with them twice, both were fun. Most of their current itineraries in the region are pretty basic, bordering on dull. They need to start sailing from the west coast and they should start sailing further south in the Caribbean (from PR). 

We like sailing with MSC but going to Bahamas every time isn't moving the needle for us at this point. 

10 hours ago, stuart2468 said:

Just doing a little light reading, and noticed that all Seaside & Meraviglia class ships are now delivered, and World America is 2 years away. Which kinda leaves 2024 as a bit of a lull year by MSC's standards. I know there is the Explora ships to come, and no doubt to perfect the operation.

But it made me ponder:

What do we think is next from MSC? Is there likely any grand announcment or new class of ship to be announced?

How about a customer service center?

An IT department?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

A better website would be nice, but at this point it's almost endearing how bad it is.

More port of call. I'm not really sure what my wife and I book next with MSC after our NE/Canada trip in October on the Meraviglia. We've done the Caribbean with them twice, both were fun. Most of their current itineraries in the region are pretty basic, bordering on dull. They need to start sailing from the west coast and they should start sailing further south in the Caribbean (from PR). 

We like sailing with MSC but going to Bahamas every time isn't moving the needle for us at this point. 

I'm with you. How is this even considered an itinerary. 7 day cruise with stops in Port Canaveral, Miami, Nassau, and Ocean Cay. (smh)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Better Eastern Caribbean itineraries from Miami & Port Canaveral to include a mix of St Martin / St Maarten, St Thomas, St Croix, Tortola, etc. 

This will sort of be happening come fall 2024/winter 2025 with the Divina. Examples are some 10-day cruises as per the following:

Map

Map

I'll also echo all of the comments that list the concerns with the IT and overall website operation. It is a serious piece of work. It's not just the random glitches but also unclear phrasing here and there, and also overall poor organization of the information you want.

As for newer ships, I think MSC could've done a lot more with making the World Europa their own (not just with the trademark chrome and shiny shiny everywhere). In essence, I feel like they've been very reactive instead of proactive (for example, Princess has them beat with the Medallion smart-ship concept; Royal has them beat with entertainment variety for mega ships). If they want to push the envelope, I'd love to see them apply some truly new ideas to their newbuilds that are also executed well. Looking at you, MSC Zoe.

Edited by snoozecrooze
  • Like 1

I'd like to see them try to offer some new locations and new ports.  I'd also like to see them back off of recent price increases.

As an example, I just booked a 7 night, southern Europe Panoramic Oceanview on Celebrity Ascent (new ship being built, no perks) for roughly the same price as a 6 night, northern Europe on an older ship (obstructed balcony).  While the MSC booking did include drinks, which is nice, in my mind, Ascent would blow Poesia away.  I also expect the service, food, and entertainment to be superior on Celebrity.

I think MSC had a real value advantage and recent pricing increases, on drinks and the cruises themselves, have eroded that value proposition.

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I think MSC had a real value advantage and recent pricing increases, on drinks and the cruises themselves, have eroded that value proposition.

This is a difficult one to counter as value is very subjective. When you look at some of RCI prices they are astonishing and I really dont understand how they sell at those eye watering prices. I was quoted £1300 for a week inside cabin on the new Icon ship for next year, and whilst I except its a new ship, who in their right mind would pay that price for an inside. Only then to be stung further when onboard with their stupidly high drinks packages. I looked no further than that single enquiry.

Indeed MSC's prices have increased quite a bit, and for the latest ships, it can almost be justified, but when you start looking at the Preziosa down, then indeed the value has been eroded. 

But, the market is clearly heading in an upward trend regarding prices. I guess the need to be so cheap has gone. Will be interesting to see if this continues as the publics purse strings become tigher into next year. 

• Like 1