Dress code for men (and women) in MDR on the Liberty of the Seas.

I thing it officially say no shorts in the MDR, but I have been hearing that dress code is now more relaxed.

Will my husband be turned away if he is wearing shorts?  If he has to wear pants, can it be blue jeans?

Can women wear shorts in the MDR?

We are on the Liberty of the Seas in August..

We were recently on Enchantment on a Med cruise and saw a lot of people men and women wore shorts or jeans and t-shirts and nothing was said. I tried to wear a dress or nice shirt and pants but a few times we just made it to dinner without time to change from our day out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruiseliz44 said:

I thing it officially say no shorts in the MDR, but I have been hearing that dress code is now more relaxed.

Will my husband be turned away if he is wearing shorts?  If he has to wear pants, can it be blue jeans?

RCI doesn't really enforce dress suggestions any longer.

Shorts or jeans will be fine.

Enjoy your cruise !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseliz44 said:

Shorts are fine for all meals (even the so-called Formal Nights). No problem. You are on vacation,,, ignore the fashion police who have no say in what you do. 

• Like 5

If it’s a European or UK cruise you will find that people dress up. Especially here in the UK, we are still quite formal lot here 😀.

Just noticed that you are sailing Liberty in August which I believe is sailing from the North East.

We sailed from Port Liberty over Easter and whilst nothing was enforced the New York crowd really dressed up. Our cruise last summer from Fort Lauderdale was the complete opposite.

Not saying either is good or bad, right or wrong just that dress wise New York departing is different in our opinion.

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, its nice to dress up for formal night.

I used to take my tux with me on cruises and just about everyone did the same some time back.

Things have changed a bit now.

Royal is more relaxed than others.

Back in 2012 I went on a P&O cruise where they would not let you in the MDR if you didn't wear a tie. However, once you were inside and seated you could remove it. I remember thinking to myself what was the point! Very strict.

The other side of the coin here is that you are on your holiday which you have paid for and if like me, wearing a tie makes you feel ill whilst trying to eat, then I am not going to wear it. Also, if wearing loads of clothes makes me hot and sweaty too then I am not going to wear them, no matter what, and I am not bothered about what other people may or may not think anymore than what I may or may not think about them.

That doesn't mean that I am not going to take part in a certain theme or formal event, it just means I am going to wear what I feel is best for me, and I normally have something that fits the bill without dressing up in my old tux.

Also, for anyone travelling by air both before or after a cruise, there may be limits on the weight of luggage, so packing heavy or large  clothes that may only be worn once for a cruise that hardly anyone is going to notice or care about seems pointless when the space in the cases can be used for things that you do need on a more frequent and practical basis.

Now, back to what you should not wear, regardless of the rules, I would not go in the MDR in my swimwear, or flip flops. I do not wear shorts at the best of times, so won't be seen in those either. 

You do not have to spend loads of money or have to look like 1st class passengers from Titanic or like some super model. However, you should be trying to make some effort, it doesn't take much and some people no longer seem to bother at all, which is a shame.

It always seems odd when there is a table of say 10 people dinning together and one couple can't be bothered for whatever reason to make an effort whilst everyone else sat there has and even a family with 2 kids comes and sits with them and their kids all have nice clothes and look really smart. 

I normally would wear a pair of my smart jeans to all other theme nights, and I have 1 pair of trousers just for formal night along with a shirt to match.

Don't forget this normally applies to just the evening time and depending on the length of your cruise you may only have 2 of these nights. And in the scheme of things, I doubt anyone will notice or say anything if you wear the same clothes for both nights.

Remember P&O had a rather strict but silly rule about ties. Royal is far more relaxed and that is why we choose to travel with them for our cruise. But we still want to look nice and comply with reasonable rules and requests.

Mick.

Mick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mick B said:

Also, for anyone travelling by air both before or after a cruise, there may be limits on the weight of luggage, so packing heavy or large  clothes that may only be worn once for a cruise that hardly anyone is going to notice or care about seems pointless when the space in the cases can be used for things that you do need on a more frequent and practical basis.

Point well taken.  Back in the 80's most people dressed up in formal attire every night.  In the 80's there was no charge for luggage on most airlines.  Times certainly have changed.

15 hours ago, cruiseliz44 said:

Same fleetwide, no matter the itinerary.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

Yes, its nice to dress up for formal night.

I used to take my tux with me on cruises and just about everyone did the same some time back.

Things have changed a bit now.

Royal is more relaxed than others.

Back in 2012 I went on a P&O cruise where they would not let you in the MDR if you didn't wear a tie. However, once you were inside and seated you could remove it. I remember thinking to myself what was the point! Very strict.

The other side of the coin here is that you are on your holiday which you have paid for and if like me, wearing a tie makes you feel ill whilst trying to eat, then I am not going to wear it. Also, if wearing loads of clothes makes me hot and sweaty too then I am not going to wear them, no matter what, and I am not bothered about what other people may or may not think anymore than what I may or may not think about them.

That doesn't mean that I am not going to take part in a certain theme or formal event, it just means I am going to wear what I feel is best for me, and I normally have something that fits the bill without dressing up in my old tux.

Now, back to what you should not wear, regardless of the rules, I would not go in the MDR in my swimwear, or flip flops. I do not wear shorts at the best of times, so won't be seen in those either. 

You do not have to spend loads of money or have to look like 1st class passengers from Titanic or like some super model. However, you should be trying to make some effort, it doesn't take much and some people no longer seem to bother at all, which is a shame.

It always seems odd when there is a table of say 10 people dinning together and one couple can't be bothered for whatever reason to make an effort whilst everyone else sat there has and even a family with 2 kids comes and sits with them and their kids all have nice clothes and look really smart. 

I normally would wear a pair of my smart jeans to all other theme nights, and I have 1 pair of trousers just for formal night along with a shirt to match.

Don't forget this normally applies to just the evening time and depending on the length of your cruise you may only have 2 of these nights. And in the scheme of things, I doubt anyone will notice or say anything if you wear the same clothes for both nights.

Remember P&O had a rather strict but silly rule about ties. Royal is far more relaxed and that is why we choose to travel with them for our cruise. But we still want to look nice and comply with reasonable rules and requests.

Mick.

Mick.

Someone asks a simple question and gets your life story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

Point well taken.  Back in the 80's most people dressed up in formal attire every night.  In the 80's there was no charge for luggage on most airlines.  Times certainly have changed.

You always paid for luggage.  It was just included in the airfare for everyone even if all you took was a handbag.   Nothing is ever, "no charge"

5 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

You always paid for luggage.  It was just included in the airfare for everyone even if all you took was a handbag.   Nothing is ever, "no charge"

True but there was no extra charge for baggage.  You could bring 4 large bags for 2 people without paying an additional fee.  It made it easier to bring more clothes.

I guess if you want to break down the cost of your cruise there would be 50 categories of what you are paying for.  Might be an interesting exercise. Any takers?

7 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Shorts are fine...

I was getting board with talk of half and half. I guess this is a welcomed change for me. 😳

Why not combine the two subjects & talk about Capri's, which are half shorts and half long pants. 😉

• Haha 4

On 7/25/2023 at 8:54 PM, cruiseliz44 said:

I am going on a short Liberty cruise soon and have no intention of bringing pants or jeans with me. I am sure they don't care on the 3 and 4 day sailings; I've been on them on several ships and they just want to make sure you're happy and eating. 

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I am going on a short Liberty cruise soon and have no intention of bringing pants or jeans with me. I am sure they don't care on the 3 and 4 day sailings; I've been on them on several ships and they just want to make sure you're happy and eating. 

Yes you will see lots of shorts at dinner. I take mostly 4 day cruises and see lots of folks in shorts even on dress your best night

Most women will wear sundresses or dressy pants/nice tops in the MDR. 

Most men will wear slacks or nice jeans and button-downs/polos in the MDR. 

A few people will wear shorts; the majority will not.  

On what used to be called formal night, maybe 30% of the guests will wear suits or cocktail dresses.  You won't see tuxes. 

1 hour ago, RyderJ201 said:

OP only asked if they could wear shorts. Not what others will do. Lol.

Based on the OP's question, @Mum2Mercury's input (from actual experience) was relevant and Likely helpful to OP... IMHO