The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 27th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all.   Add me to the strange sleep club.  No thank you.  
so nice to see the great suggestions for Rome.  Such an amazing city.  I second Galleria Borghese,  I have never seen such amazing sculptures

We had a lovely lunch in the wilds of rural Alberta by a silver medalist chef at the world culinary Olympics.  Bison and Korean short rib burgers.  Also an interesting view 

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

We have a warm weekend, high 80's then it will be in the 70's with some welcome rain this week.  We have been to Pago Pago.  The picture brought back a lot of memories.  Remember the locally built busses built of wood on a Toyota truck chassis.  One thing we learned when there is that it is not pronounced like it looks.  Pongo Pongo would be close.  My DB is taking a Princess cruise next month from Seattle to Sydney.  I was looking at his roll call last night and saw that one of the passengers is planning a renewal of vows.  They were notified that Princess has increased the charge from $300. to $1500. for that service.  I didn't realize that there even was a charge for that.  Does anyone know what HAL charges?

Ray

• Like 22

@Quartzsite Cruiser The restaurant you have pictured is the one we did not eat at.  I would suggest that Annie try that one.  The other one (with the fence around it) was pretty bad.  We ordered pizza, and it was worse than the pizza we get here in SC.  The one you have pictured looked nicer but there was no room.  Again, it will be off season and things will be slower.  Also Piazza Navona is sort of a tourist trap.  There are a few smaller places on the side streets.  Better food.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'd hate for you to miss out on a flower arrangement so perhaps the first port you see the flowers being sold, buy there.  I've checked the Apia photos and see lots of tents at the port itself, but didn't see any actual flowers in the photos.  If you're going to Papeete they have lovely arrangements at the Market and outside the Market on the street corners near the ship.  And yes, in 2014 the ladies were selling flowers right there on the dock.  I hope that still holds true.

Good advice, thank you!  I'll probably get them first in Hawaii (unless I manage to get some in San Diego on boarding day, but that's more iffy.  We'll have lots of time in Hawaii to get them. Then in Pago Pago.  Lots of time after our tour.   And yes, Papeete is towards the end of the cruise, and may be the last chance to get some before the long sail back.  Thank you 🙂  

Ray @USN59-79 When we renewed our vows on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019 I'm thinking it was only $150.  Just looked now, and it's $300.  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 18

We also had the pleasure of landing in Pago Pago on the Oosterdam  in 2013 on April 21st , I had no tour booked instead I went for a long walk all by myself around the harbour inlet , a beautiful area .

I am a little late today had to first watch Max Verstappen win the Dutch Formula 1 Grand Prix in his native land and my country of birth , the Netherlands  , I have never seen this kind of atmosphere at a Formula 1 race as this one in Zandvoort specially when Andre Rieu played the National Anthem , the tears came close.......! 

So will now tell you about the very special day I had in Pago Pago on April 21st , 2013 …………...

939438276_NZAU20138742.thumb.jpg.8e86167a38f5ba829bfa4231e4029b06.jpg

1183297562_NZAU2013875.thumb.jpg.cbeb01db205d2d5a133c435feeec9af8.jpg

219883183_NZAU2013876.thumb.jpg.e6a53acfc8d59465cfa23e2c48607e4a.jpg

654388860_NZAU20138782.thumb.jpg.870b9b2ca7cfda4ae6646d83e14e3aba.jpg

268564966_NZAU2013879.thumb.jpg.d37ee778bd580810130d478dc1859eb2.jpg

359408331_NZAU2013880.thumb.jpg.a633d977caa40037c087e585859f9a84.jpg

591409492_NZAU20138812.thumb.jpg.e270eb576204195559c211a12bba4eaf.jpg

491413473_NZAU2013883.thumb.jpg.69a4927f76ee9c7a60bfbff324d76110.jpg

1694046384_NZAU2013884.thumb.jpg.e42dc79bfdc3f99b48b454571c87b8bf.jpg

1816475061_NZAU20138852.thumb.jpg.c2423a0069fef2c51f50c54bf0d0f17e.jpg

1958983624_NZAU20138862.thumb.jpg.dc7cac2bda08574f0a53e4d2f513c772.jpg

Again this was quite a special day for me because it happened to be my second birthday in two days ! 
 After we visited Apia , Samoa  on April 21st we crossed the dateline and the next day when we landed in Pago Pago it was April 21st  again so I had 2 BD cakes in 2 days ! How often does that happen in your lifetime ? 

1214041161_NZAU2013868.thumb.jpg.0642ae0175462b93a02fb197041f9154.jpg

The choir in the Canaletto singing Happy Birthday in Indonesian to the tune of  “  Lang zal ze leven “ which really is a Dutch BD song  but sand in Bahasa . 

1704910637_NZAU2013870.thumb.jpg.5986dbdb8da07bfff87134581ac1d820.jpg

Thank you Rich  @richwmn for reminding me of this special once in a lifetime birthday celebration !

Have a great day everybody ! 

Tony 😀😀
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I had a hard time sleeping last night/this morning, so will try to get some sleep now. Good night. 😴

you poor thing 😢. I hope you were able to catch up on some sleep. 🤞 

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh darn it.

Sitting and waiting for a callback from American airlines. They changed our seat assignments on Thanksgiving Day. We originally had seats in 8th row from Austin-Dallas-FLL. Now we were given 4 seats spread all over! Not even close to one another. I can't be 12 seats down from my sweet husband, who needs assistance. And it looks like the flight is booked. 

Well darn 😡 That’s infuriating.  I hope you can get some help from AA.  Good luck.

47 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@Seasick Sailor if you don’t have any luck today, get in touch with the disability people at AA tomorrow.  They should be able to help you.   We have had to resort to that in the past for my Brother in Law.  

Terri

Excellent advice Terri.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good Sunday morning Dailyites. 

A sleepless night. Yawn....

Please say a prayer for Denise and David. @DeeniEncinitas

A brush fire broke out in Kaanapali and people were told to evacuate. This time cell phones and sirens were blaring. Sounds like ths fire department was on it pretty quick.

Oh no.  I hope they will be ok 🙏. they are definitely in my prayers.

I have been reading about the Panama Canal reduction over the next 10 months. I wonder where we would go in Dec if P.C. gets canceled? It's smack in the middle of our B2B2B2 so cancellation of that particular segment would cause a problem. Anyone heard news?

From what I have heard so far, it’s only the partial Panama Canals being affected.  (Panama Canal Sunfarer where they got to Gatun Lake - in and out of the locks).

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Annie,  don’t kid yourself.  We don’t walk a lot.  We take taxis.  We combine things. For instance.  if you are going to Mass at the Pantheon, why not have lunch at the Piazza Navona, very close by.  Get yourself a good map and plot it out.  If we lived closer to each other I would help you out.  A place not to miss is the Galleria Borghese.  You have to get the tickets ahead of time, but you only have two hours to tour it.  The concierge in your hotel can get you the tickets. It is small, but a wonderful museum and the grounds are gorgeous.  

Good planning Terri 👍. I will join you and add a big thumbs up for Galleria Borghese.  It’s fabulous and so are the grounds.  We really enjoyed it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh darn it.

Sitting and waiting for a callback from American airlines. They changed our seat assignments on Thanksgiving Day. We originally had seats in 8th row from Austin-Dallas-FLL. Now we were given 4 seats spread all over! Not even close to one another. I can't be 12 seats down from my sweet husband, who needs assistance. And it looks like the flight is booked. 

Joy, that is just ridiculous.  We've never had our seats changed once we selected them.  I guess we've been very lucky.  I hope you can get it straightened out today or tomorrow by talking to people higher up.  I think Terri, @Cruzin Terri  had some excellent advice based on personal experience.

56 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all.   Add me to the strange sleep club.  No thank you.  
so nice to see the great suggestions for Rome.  Such an amazing city.  I second Galleria Borghese,  I have never seen such amazing sculptures

We had a lovely lunch in the wilds of rural Alberta by a silver medalist chef at the world culinary Olympics.  Bison and Korean short rib burgers.  Also an interesting view 

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

Brenda, that is an unusual combination of meat in that huge burger.  I don't think I could get my mouth around it.

47 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser The restaurant you have pictured is the one we did not eat at.  I would suggest that Annie try that one.  The other one (with the fence around it) was pretty bad.  We ordered pizza, and it was worse than the pizza we get here in SC.  The one you have pictured looked nicer but there was no room.  Again, it will be off season and things will be slower.  Also Piazza Navona is sort of a tourist trap.  There are a few smaller places on the side streets.  Better food.

Terri

Terri, we've always gotten a Margarita pizza at the restaurant in the picture, and it was good.  When we were there in 2019, during the high tourist season, we sat at a table for 20 to 30 minutes, and never saw a waiter come close to the table.  We left and went across the piazza to a restaurant in a white building.  They did wait on us quickly, but the pizza just wasn't great.  I agree that it is a tourist area, and there are probably better places away from the piazza.  Once time, we got a sandwich at a Kosher deli in the Jewish quarter, and it was very good.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good advice, thank you!  I'll probably get them first in Hawaii (unless I manage to get some in San Diego on boarding day, but that's more iffy.  We'll have lots of time in Hawaii to get them. Then in Pago Pago.  Lots of time after our tour.   And yes, Papeete is towards the end of the cruise, and may be the last chance to get some before the long sail back.  Thank you 🙂  

Ray @USN59-79 When we renewed our vows on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019 I'm thinking it was only $150.  Just looked now, and it's $300.  

The good news is that two CC people spoke up and stated that they are ordained and would be happy to help with the service.  So the plan is to have it at Tahiti when the ship stops there.  Cruise critic comes through again.

Ray

• Like 25

Thank you American airlines!

They restored our 8th row seats and apologized for missing the assistant request. They waived the $65 pp seat assignment since we were originally booked in those seats. We noted there is a new luggage cost of $30 per bag. However we have a luggage forward so not concerned about it. 

Our preferred airline prior to moving to Texas was Delta, but they use Atlanta as a stopover. American uses Dallas.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

They restored our 8th row seats and apologized for missing the assistant request. They waived the $65 pp seat assignment since we were originally booked in those seats. We noted there is a new luggage cost of $30 per bag. However we have a luggage forward so not concerned about it. 

Our preferred airline prior to moving to Texas was Delta, but they use Atlanta as a stopover. American uses Dallas.

So happy to hear it worked out for you.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Speaking kind words is usually a good idea, but playing music on the porch, not necessarily.

OK on the wine but NOK on the meal and the cocktail. Dinner tonight will probably be salad and tuna.

Blending some Viognier into Syrah (Shiraz) is characteristic of the Côte Rôtie in France, the "roasted slope" at the northern end of the Rhone valley, and has also caught on in other hot regions, especially Australia where there is so much Shiraz. It has been done in the Finger Lakes, but because Syrah grown here is lighter than in warmer regions anyway, it's not obviously a good idea. I'll suggest Red Newt 2019 Glacier Ridge Syrah.

Of course I haven't been to Pago Pago. When it's mentioned I always think of Margaret Mead.

feels like seven.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 14

Tony @sailingdutchy thanks for your photos today of Pago Pago.  I'm happy to hear you got a "2 birthday deal" that voyage.  It happened to me once, also in April.  The first night I had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and had a lovely cake.  The following night I had dinner in the Main dining room where I had another wonderful cake along with serenading waiters.  Maasdam 2017 Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise.  I'm now officially 1 year older than my twin sister!  Just kidding!

April 8, 2017 elevator photo and Pinnacle Grill cake

IMG_9517.thumb.JPG.583296488127a3f190adcbad2a48238c.JPG

IMG_9579.thumb.JPG.0ff5f38baa8aff3dc559613f2f170ce3.JPG

April 8, 2017 part deux elevator picture and dining room cake

IMG_9582.thumb.JPG.11a2a7f2c803a46f29c3abf6828af8ec.JPG

IMG_9585.thumb.JPG.10f42f4bcdbaf1d78e7fec0f268dd06c.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Tony @sailingdutchy thanks for your photos today of Pago Pago.  I'm happy to hear you got a "2 birthday deal" that voyage.  It happened to me once, also in April.  The first night I had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and had a lovely cake.  The following night I had dinner in the Main dining room where I had another wonderful cake along with serenading waiters.  Maasdam 2017 Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise.  I'm now officially 1 year older than my twin sister!  Just kidding!

April 8, 2017 elevator photo and Pinnacle Grill cake

IMG_9517.thumb.JPG.583296488127a3f190adcbad2a48238c.JPG

IMG_9579.thumb.JPG.0ff5f38baa8aff3dc559613f2f170ce3.JPG

April 8, 2017 part deux elevator picture and dining room cake

IMG_9582.thumb.JPG.11a2a7f2c803a46f29c3abf6828af8ec.JPG

IMG_9585.thumb.JPG.10f42f4bcdbaf1d78e7fec0f268dd06c.JPG

Super photos Sandi.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I had a hard time sleeping last night/this morning, so will try to get some sleep now. Good night. 😴

Sounds like sleep eluded a lot of Dailyites last night. 😟 

I’m back and feel good. Got a few hours sleep, took a shower, got coffee, and watched church online. It’s supposed to be over 100°F today so I’m not planning on going anywhere. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Woo hoo!  What wonderful news 😉. So glad it is all fixed 👍 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham @grapau27 your photos showcase such a relaxing and beautiful place.  I'm glad you had time to fit in a lovely holiday to celebrate your 42nd anniversary this week.❤️

Thank you Sandi.

We had a fantastic time in our favourite area in England and our food was amazing every day.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Darn it Graham. Wish Pauline would let you post about your journey's. Would love to have heard about your travels along the way!!

Thank you Joy.

It is because house insurance in the UK would be void if we had to made a claim after highlighting our travels because their loss adjusters would investigate.

IMG-20230825-WA0000.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon Dailyites from a warm and smokey PNW. 

It's about 80F at the moment and may be as high as 85F today. It's just still quite smokey and it's not a nice time to be outside too much. I'm getting my walking in (goal is 6000 steps/day) and that's good with a left leg that wants to be ornery due to nerve issues. I'm finally doing PT and it's improving so that's a good thing. 

One week until I'm on the Westerdam. I'm so looking forward to it even if the forecast is showers. I am a great one for kind words (preached it to my 6th graders - especially in the spring when the hormones started surging) and I'd have the meal if I were on a BHB or someone else made it. 

Now off to get the next back of oatmeal butterscotch cookies out of the oven and then work on projects around the house. So exciting - not!

Karen

• Like 20

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Joy.

It is because house insurance in the UK would be void if we had to made a claim after highlighting our travels because their loss adjusters would investigate.

IMG-20230825-WA0000.jpg

Well, I don't understand your policy. But I understand your security.  Would just love to know your travels. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well, I don't understand your policy. But I understand your security.  Would just love to know your travels. 

We went to some of our favourite places like 

Keswick.

Ambleside.

Grasmere.

Bowness.

We saw Lake Windermere and Lake Ullswater.

One day we did a 100 mile round trip to Gretna Green in Scotland.

IMG-20230824-WA0002.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

We went to some of our favourite places like 

Keswick.

Ambleside.

Grasmere.

Bowness.

We saw Lake Windermere and Lake Ullswater.

One day we did a 100 mile round trip to Gretna in Scotland.

IMG-20230824-WA0002.jpg

OH wow! I am interested in your travels across the pond and those pictures! Beautiful!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1