Celebrity used to be a step above the rest....Not anymore

tiggypooo

12 minutes ago, bac513 said:

In my experience, MSC Yacht Club is not stepping down from Retreat at this time. Better amenities include:

• Price for a seven day cruise $2-3,000 less for a suite compared with Sky Suite
  • All YC suites in one area of ship with key controlled access
  • Excellent Butler Service - they strive to please
  • Minibar included
  • Buffet for breakfast and lunch on pool deck
  • Good food and Service in YC Restaurant
  • Reserved theatre seating area for all shows
  • Complimentary bottle of alcohol (Got 1 liter bottle of Grey Goose)
  • Really good pizza that can be delivered to cabin or even pool deck
  • Special are for luggage drop off and embarkation

The main negatives compared with X are limited itineraries, small or no OBC, gratuities extra.

I really like sailing YC on MSC...the only issue I have is when I want to experience the rest of the ship...that is a step down from the rest of the ship on Celebrity.  That said, I'm sailing YC in  3 weeks..looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I really like sailing YC on MSC...the only issue I have is when I want to experience the rest of the ship...that is a step down from the rest of the ship on Celebrity.  That said, I'm sailing YC in  3 weeks..looking forward to it.  

Agreed. Would only sail YC on MSC.

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

We have been loyal to Celebrity.  We are looking at MSC for a cruise in YC.  Only negative that worries me is that all gluten free food is from MDR, which is not all that good.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Can anyone compare The Haven on NCL on the Prima-class ships to the Retreat?  I did mock booking and can get a Haven Two-Bedroom Family Villa for the price of our Beyond sailing in a SS, which has almost twice the space (and two bathrooms) for three adults.  We've always seen NCL on the same level as Carnival and RCCL.

Frederick

On 8/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, mizLORInj said:

Agree; they need to stop advertising as "luxury" because they aren't anymore.  

They are definitely NOT “luxury” anymore.  We’re heading to MSC next. At least the ships look luxurious.  Lots of “sparkles”.🤩. We figure why pay almost twice as much for the same type of food and accommodations.  Our next booked cruise for February on MSC is less than $3,000 for a balcony cabin Aurea category for 3 people (including vacation protection and gratuities) for a 7 night cruise.  We get complimentary access to the thermal spa and solarium plus anytime dining (no wait) and priority embarkation.  We’re not drinkers or fussy about the food (unless we’re paying a higher price like on X) so this deal is perfect for us. We’ll see how it goes but MSC may be our new cruise line.  They were literally almost half the price when I priced things out compared to Carnival, X and NCL.

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

They are definitely NOT “luxury” anymore.  We’re heading to MSC next. At least the ships look luxurious.  Lots of “sparkles”.🤩. We figure why pay almost twice as much for the same type of food and accommodations.  Our next booked cruise for February on MSC is less than $3,000 for a balcony cabin Aurea category for 3 people (including vacation protection and gratuities) for a 7 night cruise.  We get complimentary access to the thermal spa and solarium plus anytime dining (no wait) and priority embarkation.  We’re not drinkers or fussy about the food (unless we’re paying a higher price like on X) so this deal is perfect for us. We’ll see how it goes but MSC may be our new cruise line.  They were literally almost half the price when I priced things out compared to Carnival, X and NCL.

I love that Swarovski staircase!  Love sparkles.    MSC has some great deals out of Brooklyn, and we don't have to fly to it.  I'm trying them out for myself this year as well.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bac513 said:

In my experience, MSC Yacht Club is not stepping down from Retreat at this time. Better amenities include:

• Price for a seven day cruise $2-3,000 less for a suite compared with Sky Suite
  • Minibar included

The main negatives compared with X are limited itineraries, small or no OBC, gratuities extra.

Is it true that on MSC only some suites get butler service?

We are on the Millie right now and have no complaints whatsoever. The crew is exceptionally pleasant and cheerful and bend over backwards for any requests. Food has been great snd I especially have enjoyed the variety of options in the buffet.

I believe X is still a step up from RCCI. We have cruised on most the mass market lines and still feel X is superior (RCCI, Princess, NCL, MSC, Carnival). Only Viking ocean beats it. We are not loyal to any line, but have sailed enough on various lines that we have achieved enough status on some of them to generate some significant perks. For our budget, we are very happy with X. 

Cruiseing isn’t like what it was 20 years ago. All the lines have cut back. For folks who can afford it, the premium lines are probably a better choice. For us, we are happy being out on the ocean and being pampered every day. 

• Like 7

The majority of our 35+ cruises have been on Celebrity in verandahs, with occasional suites when the price was right.   The suite experience is very nice and feels like a small ship, but Celebrity is pricing themselves right out of the running with their recent suite prices.  I did a quick search for eastern Med itineraries between 10 and 14 nights next May and June, and Celebrity in a suite was more expensive per person per night than Seaborne, for some itineraries.   To me, that’s insane.   I’d much rather sail a luxury line that a Sky Suite on any Celebrity ship, as nice as the Retreat on the Beyond and Edge were.  Suites on all the other “premium” lines were cheaper than Celebrity.   It’s a nice product, but it’s not that nice.

We’ve been sailing more with Azamara recently, and other than the small cabins, the experience seems much more luxurious that Celebrity.   To be fair, Azamara’s prices are quite high, but they are more inclusive, and their itineraries are much more port-intensive.

We’ve always been loyal to Celebrity, for the most part, but I can see that changing if my husband continues to enjoy suites.  If I can save money sailing with a luxury line over a suite on Celebrity, I’ll definitely try to drag him away.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wineoclock said:

@MamaFej Celebrity need hire you. Your posts are always measured & talk sense. Something X seems to have forgotten about. 

You are very kind.

Some of my posts demonstrate my twisted sense of humour. Those are a bit less measured and sensical, but I do try to be logical in my more serious posts. 

That U in humour was just for you, by the way. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fsdorado said:

Can anyone compare The Haven on NCL on the Prima-class ships to the Retreat?  I did mock booking and can get a Haven Two-Bedroom Family Villa for the price of our Beyond sailing in a SS, which has almost twice the space (and two bathrooms) for three adults.  We've always seen NCL on the same level as Carnival and RCCL.

Frederick

I would jump on that deal. The Prima class ship Haven is very comparable to Retreat, in fact I think the Haven cabins are a bit of a step up in design. The only difference between the two is that the menu in the Haven restaurant is the same every night, whereas the Haven menu changes daily. However, I believe unlimited dining package is included with the Haven, so you'll be able to dine at specialty restaurants each night.

I definitely do not consider NCL on the same level as Carnival. It does have some of the gimmicky bells and whistles like race car track, but the food is excellent and shows are great. Just sailed Prima last December and it is now one of my favorite ships, tied with Edge-class. NCL deposits are refundable, so really no risk in booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How big is that NCL ship?

Based on comments on this thread, I looked at some of the MSC ships and reviews..

I was surprised to see that. the ships are huge compared to X , a bit gaudy and  lots of places where my fear of heights would be an issue . There were neg remarks about the elev system ..where u are  assigned to a specific car and must wait for it to arrive???

Can anyone suggest any smaller to medium modern decor ships focused on nice dining choices, spa, t pool and  relaxing spaces?   We like music and shows but bars and  gambling are not our thing!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, hcat said:

How big is that NCL ship?

Based on comments on this thread, I looked at some of the MSC ships and reviews..

I was surprised to see that. the ships are huge compared to X , a bit gaudy and  lots of places where my fear of heights would be an issue . There were neg remarks about the elev system ..where u are  assigned to a specific car and must wait for it to arrive???

Can anyone suggest any smaller to medium modern decor ships focused on nice dining choices, spa, t pool and  relaxing spaces?   We like music and shows but bars and  gambling are not our thing!

I thought Viking Ocean was nice.   Not as many restaurants.  Great spa.  My husband had a heart attack when he realized the pax were older.  He’s 58.  He thought he was on Virgin not Viking.  He refuses to go back until he’s 75.  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

I thought Viking Ocean was nice.   Not as many restaurants.  Great spa.  My husband had a heart attack when he realized the pax were older.  He’s 58.  He thought he was on Virgin not Viking.  He refuses to go back until he’s 75.  

Wait, so the average age on Viking is older?  I was going to check them out.

On Scarlet Lady/Virgin:  I'd say the cruise I was on had people of all ages, though most appeared to be in their 20s and 30s.    

43 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

On Scarlet Lady/Virgin:  I'd say the cruise I was on had people of all ages, though most appeared to be in their 20s and 30s.    

Was that Mediterranean, TA or Caribbean cruise? 

23 hours ago, bac513 said:

• Minibar included

I would add 

1. Their shoreside customer service is horrendous. Hope you don’t have any issues.  
2. Leaving YC can be an experience all in itself. 

3. If you don’t enjoy the 80’s Vegas strip club aesthetic it may not be for you. It’s hard to believe some of their ships are only a few years old. 

On 9/1/2023 at 8:31 AM, mizLORInj said:

The average age on Viking is 120.  We did two river and one ocean cruise.

Just disembarked Queen Victoria yesterday.

I would strongly suggest Cunard as the place to find what is now missing on Celebrity and most mass market lines.

Food in outstanding quality and variety,

ship maintained in impeccable condition,

chips, nuts, and hot canapés with your evening cocktail, twice daily cabin service,

top quality guest performers etc, etc……

Just be aware and agreeable to sailing with a strong British atmosphere (a plus for me) and two formal nights per week that sees all but a handful in black tie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Just disembarked Queen Victoria yesterday.

I would strongly suggest Cunard as the place to find what is now missing on Celebrity and most mass market lines.

Food in outstanding quality and variety,

ship maintained in impeccable condition,

chips, nuts, and hot canapés with your evening cocktail, twice daily cabin service,

top quality guest performers etc, etc……

Just be aware and agreeable to sailing with a strong British atmosphere (a plus for me) and two formal nights per week that sees all but a handful in black tie.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:59 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Forgot to mention that I was in standard Britannia grade balcony, NOT a suite.

Booked a 7 day cruise for next year while onboard for $1099 pp which makes it almost unbelievable what they are still providing for the money.

Booked a 7 day cruise for next year while onboard for $1099 pp which makes it almost unbelievable what they are still providing for the money.

Cunard appeals to DH 

DH and I are seriously looking into Cunard for future cruises.  .  We have cruised only suites on X.  The attire on X has slowly lowered to the point that the typical airline paz are better dressed. (That's not a compliment to airline paz.) Cunard is still attracting paz who want to dress up after 6 p.m.  

Additionally, the lack of negative discourse on the Cunard Board is a definite ;positive.

• Like 2

We are starting to book other lines after 21 tears loyal to Celebrity, achieved Zenith last year.  Staying in Sky Suites no longer gives us anything more than free laundry.  We will take Celebrity Transatlantic in May (may be our last one) and instead of B2B2B on Celebrity we just booked Viking (31days) to follow the Transatlantic.  Now with Delta One being outrageous we are looking into Cunard QM2 for the return trip, I was shocked at the low prices for balcony as the lower end suites were fully booked. It's only 6 days, but for 3 grand, seriously looking at this. Would love more feedback on people's experience.  Thanks! 

• Like 2