From Where Do *You* Order Foreign Currency Online?

Rick&Jeannie

My experience has been that the best exchange rate is a bank in country you are visiting with a US bank debit card that doesn't charge for using ATMs.  Several years ago my travel friend ordered hers from Wells Fargo at home. I got mine at a bank in Spain.  I got significantly more Euros for my $200 than she did. It was a while ago so I don't remember exact numbers. But now she waits, too.

A couple years ago when the exchange rate was really good I got a few hundred Euros, and since that time I've only done cruises so I have a decent stash of Euros. Between credit cards, self guided walks and pre-paid tours I've not used too much cash.

Edited by herbanrenewal

On 9/6/2023 at 8:22 PM, Shmoo here said:

In the past we've bought what they call a "tip pak" from AAA.  It's typically a small amount just so we had some money when we got into a foreign country.  Then we find an ATM once incountry to get more, if we need it.

Last time I checked out a “tip pak” (and it was by no means recent) there was a service charge on top of a poor exchange rate. 

On 9/7/2023 at 12:14 AM, Szt said:

We have found there are usually ATMs right in the port entry and exits. Not everyone takes cards. Usually the drivers and guides we find want cash. The airports all have ATMs too.
Does anyone know what currency the ATM machines on board usually give?

A lot depends on where you are traveling. It’s difficult to use cash in Scandinavian countries and since the Covid shut downs contactless payments have really increased. 

6 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Last time I checked out a “tip pak” (and it was by no means recent) there was a service charge on top of a poor exchange rate. 

Yep.  That's mostly why we stopped using it.  But it's an option for someone who just wants "some" actual cash in hand when arriving.

As I said, we now just use an ATM when we get in.  Although for long trips (ones where we're going to be in same monetary type for a long time) we've gotten currency at our bank, with fee.

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

A lot depends on where you are traveling. It’s difficult to use cash in Scandinavian countries and since the Covid shut downs contactless payments have really increased. 

Not just Scandanavian countries, we could not use our Euros at several museums in Amsterdam. They would only take cards, Visa or Master Card. We managed to spend pounds in London, but if we had had none, we would have been able to make every purchase with a credit card.

I always have local currency when visiting another country. I'm fortunate to have a good currency exchange with fair rates not far from home. Otherwise I accept that the price of convenience is a poor rate at an exchange or ATM at the airport. 

Edited by K32682

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

I always have local currency when visiting another country. I'm fortunate to have a good currency exchange with fair rates not far from home. Otherwise I accept that the price of convenience is a poor rate at an exchange or ATM at the airport. 

Airport ATMs really vary.  If you are at an airport that permits bank-owned ATMs, the exchange rate will be the same as you get at bank ATMs anywhere (bank ATMs generally have the best rates).  But, some airports will only allow certain privately owned ATMs (such as Travelex) which spit out local currency at awful exchange rates.  Bottom line, when you travel look for bank ATMs.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Airport ATMs really vary.  If you are at an airport that permits bank-owned ATMs, the exchange rate will be the same as you get at bank ATMs anywhere (bank ATMs generally have the best rates).  But, some airports will only allow certain privately owned ATMs (such as Travelex) which spit out local currency at awful exchange rates.  Bottom line, when you travel look for bank ATMs.

Hank

Hank, what countries do you find where you still need foreign currency?

Our recently completed cruise started in the UK (where we stayed a day prior, and then went to the Netherlands (unfortunately skipping Belgium because of an extremely low tide), Norway, and Iceland were the final 2 countries we visited. .

I got pounds and Euros before the cruise. I spent the pounds, but really could have used a credit card for every purchase we made. In Amsterdam, several places, mainly museums, would only take cards. One museum did take cash, but really would have preferred a card instead.

We had no local currency for Norway or Iceland and did not need any, only again using a credit card.

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction

As the OP, I feel I should probably clarify the main point of my question.  For an upcoming cruise we have a (non-ship) excursion where the tour operator has specified up front that they require cash on the day of the tour.  So I *know* I need a chunk of Euros just to cover that.  I don't know that I will need any extra over that amount (except for probably a tip to the tour guide) but I just like to be prepared with *at least* a small amount for tip(s).  For a different cruise leaving from Southampton we will be going in a day early and fully expect to do a *small* amount of sight-seeing...and quite possibly wanting (needing?) some amount for tips here as well.  I know *most* of what we do in London can be covered with credit cards...but just having local currency seems to augment the feeling of being on vacation in a foreign country!  I just like to do it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Our recently completed cruise started in the UK (where we stayed a day prior, and then went to the Netherlands (unfortunately skipping Belgium because of an extremely low tide), Norway, and Iceland were the final 2 countries we visited. .

I got pounds and Euros before the cruise. I spent the pounds, but really could have used a credit card for every purchase we made. In Amsterdam, several places, mainly museums, would only take cards. One museum did take cash, but really would have preferred a card instead.

We had no local currency for Norway or Iceland and did not need any, only again using a credit card.

DW and I are very independent travelers/cruisers and generally are off on our own using public transit, rental cars, trains, our feet. etc.  Since we tend to avoid the tour thing, we will sometimes find oursleves in places where cash is still king.  I do think one could travel in Finland and Sweden without any cash.   In Norway, we still sometimes need cash for various street markets.  

As to the Euro countries, cash is definitely becoming less important,  One exception is Italy, where there are still some places (eating venues and smaller vendors) that only accept cash.  There are also the times when the card readers are simply not working (this has happened to us a few times...most recently in Bruges).  We see cash as a backup, but like to have enough to cover the tab in case our plastic does not work.  That being said, because we do so much independent travel we carry 3 different ATM/Debit cards (each drawn on a different bank) and quite a few different credit cards.  When one is out of the country for weeks/months, having backups is a good thing.

Hank

Much of Europe is driven by a north south axis.  On recent trips to Scandinavia, cash was more trouble than useful. However as you drift down to the Med you find more situations where vendors still want cash and may actually refuse CC’s.  Definitely required some Euros this spring in Portugal.  
To the OP I would look at the timing of that excursion. If it is day one and your time may be short then I fully understand your concerns, but if it is later in the trip then I would still encourage the Local (bank) ATM approach as it is simple and really very convenient to not haul cash with you.  Without knowing your personal finances I will point out that multiple of the full service financial companies offer ATM cards with no service fees attached

On 9/7/2023 at 12:12 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

My local bank (somewhat small town) *can* order foreign currency,  It usually takes 2-3 days before I can pick it up.  Plus, they have a processing fee (no surprise) and whet I feel are strict rules.  (Must order US $200 worth of currency per order, and you cannot "mix" currency types to make up that $200.)  So, any amount of a given currency is going to cost me a minimum of $200 + the fee.

I'm getting a bit perturbed at this inflexibility.  I know there are places to order online...but I'd like to hear from those that have done so and their experience.  It may very well not be any better than what I'm getting now...

The simple answer is to stop worrying.  How much is the fee?  You're flying to Europe, you're taking a cruise, you're going on excursions, and if you can find an online foreign exchange bureau you might save - say - $10?  Don't let it spoil your holiday.

I used to fret about exchange rates until I realised the best I could save would scarcely buy me lunch.  Now I get foreign currency from the travel agent (UK) because it's far more convenient than a bank (they don't have limited hours when they can open the safe) and they have a good reputation on price.

(I find in the USA that I want a lot of cash, because I have only 2 cards and one of them has a horrible tactic of ringing me at home to see if I really am in the USA.  And stopping the card when I don't answer!  Cash is king in that case.)

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not Hank, but I would say that there are some Mediterranean countries where you still run the risk of running into individual small businesses that have a long-ingrained battle with their government -- the govt seeks to impose taxes and they seek to pay as little taxes as possible. This is particularly true in Italy -- the tighter govt controls become, the more creative the population becomes. It's particularly true in Italy, Greece, and Portugal but also in France and Spain -- and leads to a sometimes unexpected demand to pay in cash, or occasionally incentives for doing so (like a discount).

I haven't been to Turkey or Egypt for a while but imagine it could still be the case there.

In more developed countries, I was surprised in April to find some resistance to using my credit card for everything in Japan. One would think cash would be virtually extinct there, but there are still places where it is needed. And the same in Germany, if you go off the beaten tourist track. I made several trips to my company headquarters in a relatively small town on the Main river, and in places like grocery stores, they get very suspicious when you don't pay in cash. You can't always count on taxis taking a card either.

Also just wondering how one would use a credit card to -- for example -- pay for a pay toilet in a city center or pay a small admission fee to a somewhat out-of-the-way church where you find a volunteer sitting at the door with a basket in front of them....

Finally, there are those odd times where the approval system for credit cards just isn't working. I know @Hlitner has told a story before about not being able to use a credit card to pay for dinner and having to dash out to find an ATM. It happened to me in Monemvasia, Greece recently.

18 hours ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

(I find in the USA that I want a lot of cash, because I have only 2 cards and one of them has a horrible tactic of ringing me at home to see if I really am in the USA.  And stopping the card when I don't answer!  Cash is king in that case.)

The card that calls you-can't you advise them that you will be traveling?

Edited by ngrund
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also just wondering how one would use a credit card to -- for example -- pay for a pay toilet in a city center or pay a small admission fee to a somewhat out-of-the-way church where you find a volunteer sitting at the door with a basket in front of them....

Well, there is always Unter den Linden. 😈

If we are traveling to a country that we previously visited, we have a small amount of coins and low denomination bills from prior trips. Unfortunately, most are in currencies no longer in use - Marks, Francs, Liras, Kunas, Schillings, and Shillings. My Florints, Drachmas, and Korunas will soon join this list. 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, ngrund said:

The card that calls you-can't you advise them that you will be traveling?

No.  It's more convenient for them to discourage phone calls and follow their own system about ringing the phone line.  They prefer not to cater for people that don't have mobile phones switched on at all times, anywhere in the world.

10 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

No.  It's more convenient for them to discourage phone calls and follow their own system about ringing the phone line.  They prefer not to cater for people that don't have mobile phones switched on at all times, anywhere in the world.

wow, with most of my cards, you can just go to their website and enter travel alerts

3 hours ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

So that bank rings your home number instead of your cellular number in order to determine if you are traveling?  When you don't answer they conclude you are not traveling!!  That is so backwards and customer unfriendly I don't know what to say (other than what I just said 🙂).  

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

wow, with most of my cards, you can just go to their website and enter travel alerts

The cards we have no longer have a vacation notification system either on-line or by phone.  They use whatever algorithm they use to identify card fraud.  So far it has been working pretty well.    

On 9/7/2023 at 7:15 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I appreciate all of the answers given so far...but none of them address what I'm trying to do. I prefer to have the foreign currency "in hand" as I step off the plane so that I don't have to deal with trying to find a bank or ATM. (That's just how I'm wired!)

Maybe *nobody* orders currency pre-trip...IDK. 

We frequently order currency pre-trip.   We order from our bank.  I think you are looking for an on-line resource.  Sadly, can't help you with that.  

On 9/7/2023 at 5:48 PM, Szt said:

American Express used to offer travelers checks in foreign currency. I don’t know if they still do. I would think, if you know you can get local currency on the ship, that should put your mind at ease. 
But I get it if you are flying into another country or spending any time at all precruise. Not EVERYONE takes ccs. Especially cabs, and small local places. But every airport has multiple atms and currency exchange offices. So if you can’t get what you need from your bank, don’t stress. 

Travelers Checks -- used to be good as gold!   No longer issues by Amex and I'm sure, other than us old folk, most won't even know what they are!  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We frequently order currency pre-trip.   We order from our bank.  I think you are looking for an on-line resource.  Sadly, can't help you with that.  

We get our "pre-trip" currency from our bank also.  However, we can order online, and have it mailed directly to us.

GC

• Like 1