Celebrity: "Surround yourself with the greatest entertainment at sea." ​😅​

NutsAboutGolf

For our trip on Millie in August, entertainment was just OK.  Other than the two aerialists who were spectacular, the performing artists and the shows were unremarkable.  We were on NCL Spirit last November and their shows and performers were one of the highlights of the cruise (other than Tahiti and Hawaii!)  Very well choreographed shows and very talented musicians and performers.  Perhaps X should use the same contract company.

2 hours ago, jbcallender said:

For our trip on Millie in August, entertainment was just OK.  Other than the two aerialists who were spectacular, the performing artists and the shows were unremarkable.  We were on NCL Spirit last November and their shows and performers were one of the highlights of the cruise (other than Tahiti and Hawaii!)  Very well choreographed shows and very talented musicians and performers.  Perhaps X should use the same contract company.

Years ago Celebrity used to contract their production shows out and they were top notch. Somewhere  along the line they thought they could do it better and of course cheaper. Wrong!

We haven’t cruised since before the shutdown, but what we saw then was mediocre, at best. We usually to B2Bs to bring the daily cost average down since we consider all cost, including airline, hotel, etc. to come up with the actual cost of the trip.

In the last several cruises, we only sat the the entire show a couple times. I don’t recall going back the second week to see any of them.

At the end we did B2Bs on the Allure of the Seas and MSCs Seaside and never left early and didn’t miss a show the second week.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, retired dude said:

i was blessed to have a father that opened for mr. sinatra back in the day and i hope that i kinda know good music when i hear it...that said, we have seen some good entertainment over the years on cruise ships,,, back in the day, the drifters, the platters, the coasters, charo, and the list went on...Now days the acrobats, hatchet throwers and second rate magicians are taking up way to much time in the theaters....we like the groups that they have in the lounges on rccl and celebrity and some of the production shows, but we only sail on the older ships and not the "disney-land" monster ships with 5 or 6 thousand of our closest friends....the whole thing is subjective but with the cutbacks by the companies, you know that the amount that they spend on entertainment has also suffered...just have to make the best of it. We could have to sail hal who has dropped live musicians in their production shows to save $.......we are just blessed to be able to cruise period and make the best of it....just sayin'

I agree, "back in the day" NCL used to feature Jean Ann Ryan productions - full length, full scale productions of Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, etc. that would rival anything I've seen on Broadway. Their "Vegas style Revue", Sea Legs was also fantastic. Add to that people like Sha Na Na, Vic Damone, Clint Brown and you had an unparalleled week of entertainment. Nowadays we make sure to sit at the end of the row so that we can get up and leave discretely should the need arise. It's a shame, as the shows were always a highlight for us. We still love cruising, always find something fun to do in the evenings but definitely miss those aspects of the "good ol' days".

• Like 1

If you are on a ship you have to be surrounded by the greatest entertainment at sea.  Problem is it is not what is on the Celebrity ship,  it is on the other ships around it.  🤗

Hapay cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 2

recent exception to this trend was jalien valentine that we saw onstage in  2022 on the "connie"....Magnificent entertainer from vegas...long standing ovation that was well deserved...She had worked all over the country and 18 years at the top resorts like the bellagio in vegas....just wish they would book acts that that more often .Back in the day they would book top comics like John Pinette for two days at a time....After his shows your jaws would hurt from laughing so much...Now most of the comics  put us to sleep and we like others get a back seat in back  so that we can leave early and not bother anyone of our fellow passengers...just sayin'

3 minutes ago, retired dude said:

recent exception to this trend was jalien valentine that we saw onstage in  2022 on the "connie"....Magnificent entertainer from vegas...long standing ovation that was well deserved...She had worked all over the country and 18 years at the top resorts like the bellagio in vegas....just wish they would book acts that that more often .Back in the day they would book top comics like John Pinette for two days at a time....After his shows your jaws would hurt from laughing so much...Now most of the comics  put us to sleep and we like others get a back seat in back  so that we can leave early and not bother anyone of our fellow passengers...just sayin'

Don't forget that even if one is at the entire show, some are playing on their phones almost the entire time

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

I agree, "back in the day" NCL used to feature Jean Ann Ryan productions - full length, full scale productions of Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, etc. that would rival anything I've seen on Broadway. Their "Vegas style Revue", Sea Legs was also fantastic. Add to that people like Sha Na Na, Vic Damone, Clint Brown and you had an unparalleled week of entertainment. Nowadays we make sure to sit at the end of the row so that we can get up and leave discretely should the need arise. It's a shame, as the shows were always a highlight for us. We still love cruising, always find something fun to do in the evenings but definitely miss those aspects of the "good ol' days".

Not very many outside the industry knew that JA Ryan was the NCL choreographer!  Very inventive and entertaining.  My daughter was in Sea Legs...great show and I'm not the least bit biased....😉

• Like 2

Of course cruise ship entertainment is poor.

Where do you think all the losers from America/Britain Hasn't Got Talent go to die ?

Reminds me of the guy who spent 30 years cleaning out the animal enclosures at the local zoo and on the day he retired said " I'm going to miss working in showbiz ".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Where do you think all the losers from America/Britain Hasn't Got Talent go to die ?

Reminds me of the guy who spent 30 years cleaning out the animal enclosures at the local zoo and on the day he retired said " I'm going to miss working in showbiz ".

Someone thinks this comment is funny?.....👎.....mostly these are young people just starting out with many training years behind them.  Of course, some better than others but they don't just walk on to Broadway shows...they have to start somewhere.  They perform what they're given and are professionals.  Show some respect.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Someone thinks this comment is funny?.....👎.....mostly these are young people just starting out with many training years behind them.  Of course, some better than others but they don't just walk on to Broadway shows...they have to start somewhere.  They perform what they're given and are professionals.  Show some respect.

Nonsense.

If you're a useless singer it doesn't matter how old you are or how much training you have you're still useless.

And as a paying customer I have the perfect right to consider you useless and not make allowances because you're just starting out on your road to stardom.

Would you accept a terrible meal in the MDR because the feller who washes dishes fancied having a go at the cooking malarkey 

3 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Nonsense.

If you're a useless singer it doesn't matter how old you are or how much training you have you're still useless.

And as a paying customer I have the perfect right to consider you useless and not make allowances because you're just starting out on your road to stardom.

Would you accept a terrible meal in the MDR because the feller who washes dishes fancied having a go at the cooking malarkey 

There is no comparison to dishwashers cum cooks and performers...however...you've been given too much air time already.  You just seem to be a crabby person looking to vent your spleen.  Sincerely wish you a nice day.

21 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

There is no comparison to dishwashers cum cooks and performers...however...you've been given too much air time already.  You just seem to be a crabby person looking to vent your spleen.  Sincerely wish you a nice day.

" air time ".

Back in the real world our favourite act on our last cruise was Four Poofs and a Piano, a comedy singing quartet.

They didn't take themselves too seriously either.

Edited by Baggy178

I disagree. There is a lot of good entertainment on Celebrity ships, fleetwide. Early morning chair hogs scurrying about marking their territory.  Evening  chair hogs trying to save an entire row of seats in the theater for their entire group while fending off others who are trying to get a seat. And of course there is the buffet. People piling the food on their plates as if there was no longer going to be anymore food all the while running from one station to the other line jumping. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, doghog said:

I disagree. There is a lot of good entertainment on Celebrity ships, fleetwide. Early morning chair hogs scurrying about marking their territory.  Evening  chair hogs trying to save an entire row of seats in the theater for their entire group while fending off others who are trying to get a seat. And of course there is the buffet. People piling the food on their plates as if there was no longer going to be anymore food all the while running from one station to the other line jumping. 

This demonstrates what has happened to cruising and this message board...less gentlemen and lady behaviour.  Even though some of this is true, I suppose there are those who see the worst in others and have a need to share in an unkindly fashion.  It does get attention which, no doubt, is the purpose in the post.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Through the years we have seen lots of outstanding entertainment in the theater and bars.  Lately not quite as good usually.  I think part of the issue is more and more huge ships coming out. A lot more competition for talent

• Like 2

In the last year I saw one of the best guest entertainment groups I've seen on Celebrity in the last 20 years.   Take 3.   A trio of extremely talented young women.  Someone mentioned seeing them onboard again within the last couple of weeks.  I'd love to see them again on our October sailing.

10 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This demonstrates what has happened to cruising and this message board...less gentlemen and lady behaviour.  Even though some of this is true, I suppose there are those who see the worst in others and have a need to share in an unkindly fashion.  It does get attention which, no doubt, is the purpose in the post.

Thanks for the laugh. 😂  It's all true, entertaining and very funny. 

Edited by doghog

The celebrity cruises we do every year has way better entertainment than rccl or any other lines , in the past few years we have seen Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, America, Mellisa Manchester etc etc next year it has Don McLean, Dave Mason ,War , Randy Backman and many many others , but this is a music charter that even inside room are 2k plus . Funny one year we were in a port with live music from a great band playing at the pool in early afternoon and there was a huge rccl ship docked next to us and passengers were clapping and cheering our music . We have our 6th booked in March on the summit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

🙂 🙂  Do the Canadians have British spelling?  Asking for a friend? 🙂 🙂