What is the Truth About Sunset Verandas and Furniture; Social Media Says Loungers are Being Removed!

Lastdance

I have read over 10 social media posts stating that loungers are no longer available for Sunset Verandas.  The reasons given are all over the place about them being removed and no longer available.  It seems like Beyond has the most vocal patrons who are very upset with this new policy.  What as been your experience with SV’s, as several have reported that removal  started in August.  One person stated that it cost $20.00 to have the loungers returned.  I have a difficult time believing this; however, with all the changes going on(cutbacks)what would be the rational for this?  Please try and state factual information with as many details as possible.  These larger balconies are certainly a favorite among passenger due to the furniture that includes loungers too.

I don’t believe loungers were intended to be there initially.

Passengers asked their attendants and the attendants got them.  Unless someone asked to have them removed they stayed.  I have seen SVs with the standard 2 chairs and small table, others with 1 lounger and some with 2. 

Possibly going back to standardizing the  SV furniture and moving the loungers back to the pool deck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I don’t believe loungers were intended to be there initially.

Passengers asked their attendants and the attendants got them.  Unless someone asked to have them removed they stayed.  I have seen SVs with the standard 2 chairs and small table, others with 1 lounger and some with 2. 

Possibly going back to standardizing the  SV furniture and moving the loungers back to the pool deck.

I certainly hope that loungers will not be held hostage by Celebrity; Sunset Suites include loungers, chairs and a table, but passengers pay a lot more for this experience.  Personally, I hope that these are only being removed for safety or other precautions.  The balconies are quite large and have ample space for all this furniture, as the chairs are not that comfortable.  On our Sunset Suite(Beyond)our loungers were not even the cushioned ones, but just regular, non- padded ones.  It is difficult to see all of the furniture found on the SV’s, but it would be very appropriate to leave just one, IMHO.  The S1’s have such narrow balconies that the loungers do not fit all that well, especially if there are two of them.  However, the Retreat has numerous loungers too.  Another poster remarked that even following the chain of command to the top did not change the verdict.  

I hope people share their own personal experiences on this thread, along with the reasoning behind this removal.  Yep, I am a “why” person like many others and do have an SV booked on Ascent.  I personally love the wake and lounger concept, along with the larger balcony too!  

Edited by Lastdance

We were on the Beyond June 4, 2022 and both of our Sunset Verandas had one lounger, two chairs and one small table.

We were on the Apex July 31 and August 9, 2023 and each of our Sunset Verandas had one lounger, two chairs and one small table.

And, yes, the chairs were not that comfortable and the table was not big enough for a meal.

Edited by scrapcreator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a sun lounger was an easy fit on our EDGE  SV balc.

We only asked for one and  there wss no issue about getting it .I think we had a chair and small table as well.

If staff takes them away,  some cruisers may resort to self help in the wee hrs???

• Haha 3

We were in a SV on the Apex in July, and we had just two uncomfortable chairs and a very small table. When we asked our room steward for a lounger, he said they were no longer available. We loved the SV, but the small, uncomfortable deck furniture was disappointing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I certainly hope that loungers will not be held hostage by Celebrity; Sunset Suites include loungers, chairs and a table, but passengers pay a lot more for this experience.  Personally, I hope that these are only being removed for safety or other precautions.  The balconies are quite large and have ample space for all this furniture, as the chairs are not that comfortable.  On our Sunset Suite(Beyond)our loungers were not even the cushioned ones, but just regular, non- padded ones.  It is difficult to see all of the furniture found on the SV’s, but it would be very appropriate to leave just one, IMHO.  The S1’s have such narrow balconies that the loungers do not fit all that well, especially if there are two of them.  However, the Retreat has numerous loungers too.  Another poster remarked that even following the chain of command to the top did not change the verdict.  

I hope people share their own personal experiences on this thread, along with the reasoning behind this removal.  Yep, I am a “why” person like many others and do have an SV booked on Ascent.  I personally love the wake and lounger concept, along with the larger balcony too!  

I think the Sunset suites had loungers from the beginning. The SV did not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MustBCruzn said:

We were in a SV on the Apex in July, and we had just two uncomfortable chairs and a very small table. When we asked our room steward for a lounger, he said they were no longer available. We loved the SV, but the small, uncomfortable deck furniture was disappointing. 

We were on Apex 19 July in a SV and had a lounger, two chairs and a table. Plenty of room for all of it. I really like having the lounger. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

We were on Apex 19 July in a SV and had a lounger, two chairs and a table. Plenty of room for all of it. I really like having the lounger. 

That's the sailing we were on as well. Maybe I should have tried @Georgia_Peaches $20 idea. 😀

• Haha 1

We sailed on the Edge twice on SV’s

in 2020, we asked room steward and he gladly brought us a lounger.

In March 2023, we asked for a lounger but the attendant said that because of the previous guests in that room, that he was not allowed to bring us a lounger for safety reasons (sounds like the lounger went overboard).

We suspect we were being fed a line.  Interestingly we did notice other cabins had a lounger so their practice was not consistent.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kitakizmo said:

It’s the only reason I booked the corner aft SS. I need at least one there with a cushion. Time to call my TA. 

IMG_6858.jpeg

Those two 'dinky' chairs are reason enough for me to not book an E class suite (I hope those are not on S class verandahs).

We were on the Beyond in Feb and requested a lounger - no problem.

Same ship in July - sorry no can do for safety reasons. Clearly a line that the cabin steward had been given to parrot. I asked him to ask his supervisor but he returned with a hard no.

I then went to guest services who gave me the same spiel whereupon I asked to speak to the hotel manager. Eventually his/her deputy trotted up and delivered the same speech. I asked him to explain how a sun lounger on the balcony of an SV was a safety hazard but not one on the balcony of an Edge Villa or various other cabins. He said he couldn't explain but 'Miami' had told them to remove them - no exceptions.

I'd got a bee in my bonnet by now so made it quite clear that I was more than a little unhappy and asked him to convey that to Miami. He said he would contact Miami as soon as the office opened, convey my disappointment and see what, if anything, they could/would do. He promised me he would call me the next morning (it being around 6pm EU time).

I never did hear back from him but around 10.30 the next morning our cabin steward arrived with a sun lounger!

It took a lot of persistence and, frankly, it was so much hassle I'm not sure I would bother again. Onboard for enjoyment not aggravation. Sad, because it does remove one of the advantages of an SV and is yet another nail in the Celebrity coffin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Bugsy1966 said:

We were on the Beyond in Feb and requested a lounger - no problem.

Same ship in July - sorry no can do for safety reasons. Clearly a line that the cabin steward had been given to parrot. I asked him to ask his supervisor but he returned with a hard no.

I then went to guest services who gave me the same spiel whereupon I asked to speak to the hotel manager. Eventually his/her deputy trotted up and delivered the same speech. I asked him to explain how a sun lounger on the balcony of an SV was a safety hazard but not one on the balcony of an Edge Villa or various other cabins. He said he couldn't explain but 'Miami' had told them to remove them - no exceptions.

I'd got a bee in my bonnet by now so made it quite clear that I was more than a little unhappy and asked him to convey that to Miami. He said he would contact Miami as soon as the office opened, convey my disappointment and see what, if anything, they could/would do. He promised me he would call me the next morning (it being around 6pm EU time).

I never did hear back from him but around 10.30 the next morning our cabin steward arrived with a sun lounger!

It took a lot of persistence and, frankly, it was so much hassle I'm not sure I would bother again. Onboard for enjoyment not aggravation. Sad, because it does remove one of the advantages of an SV and is yet another nail in the Celebrity coffin.

Uggh! So disappointing! One of the reasons we booked SV on Beyond in January. I see a move up bid in our future!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

People like to complain about inconsistency. A hard no across the board seems pretty consistent to me. 

A “hard” yes would be great too, but that is not going to happen either.  Jeremiah, have you been in an SV with a lounger, or just the uncomfortable chairs?