FLL disembarkation flight

jackadapt

We sail Odyssey of the Seas and will get back to FLL at 6 AM on a Saturday.  There is a flight leaving FLL at 9:11 AM.  If we take all our luggage with us and line up to get off the ship at 6 AM, should we be OK?  The next direct flight to the SF Bay Area doesn't leave until 8:30 PM.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

there's no way I'd book a flight that early.

No way YOU would, but MANY have previously posted they've made flights in the time frame mentioned.  That said, there's no way they'll exit the ship at 6AM.

• Like 1

Yes, you might make it but you might not.

Do you want a stress free cruise?  Personally, I would not want to be worrying about my return fight while sitting at dinner each night.

You say the next direct flight is at 8:30PM.  So what about a connecting flight?  You might be able to leave at noon (9AM San Fran time) change planes and land in San Fran by 6PM.

Just a thought.  

• Like 1

If there are no unforeseen delays, it's certainly doable. Personally, after a relaxing cruise, the last thing that I want to do is rush, rush, rush, carry off my baggage and worry that I might miss my flight. Of course, taking the 8:30PM flight and arriving in San Francisco at 3:00AM ET is no fun either. I think I'd look at other possible flight options. Fly out of Miami, use a different airline, or consider a connecting flight later that morning..

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

Port Everglades is probably the closest port to any major international airport, literally across the street from FLL.  However, I would never book a flight that close to debarkation time.  Just too many things that can go wrong (Murphy's Law and all).  Did you check MIA or West Palm Beach for a more promising and doable flight?  It may be a little expensive getting to one of them but it beats missing the early flight and may be better than waiting until ~8:00PM.  Just a thought!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Port Everglades is probably the closest port to any major international airport, literally across the street from FLL.  However, I would never book a flight that close to debarkation time.  Just too many things that can go wrong (Murphy's Law and all).  Did you check MIA or West Palm Beach for a more promising and doable flight?  It may be a little expensive getting to one of them but it beats missing the early flight and may be better than waiting until ~8:00PM.  Just a thought!

Havent done it in while but use to Fly out of MIA when Cruised out of Port Everglades and reverse at least once a yr. Most time was due to cheaper flight or no connections... Flying out of FLL that early, I wouldn't. At least once a yr Ships I was on didnt even start letting passengers off until 730 or after. Also what date of Flight, near a Holiday? Have seen lines out the door at FLL around Xmas, Dec 20-23, Thanksgiving, Mar/Apr(Spring Break). My flights are always after noon, one year after they missed Flight I heard passengers told at Gates they'll be lucky get home by Xmas, this on Dec 22. Post CV planes are now filled, few extras for stand by. Sure most time early flights will work out, just be ready if they don't

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Havent done it in while but use to Fly out of MIA when Cruised out of Port Everglades and reverse at least once a yr. Most time was due to cheaper flight or no connections... Flying out of FLL that early, I wouldn't. At least once a yr Ships I was on didnt even start letting passengers off until 730 or after. Also what date of Flight, near a Holiday? Have seen lines out the door at FLL around Xmas, Dec 20-23, Thanksgiving, Mar/Apr(Spring Break). My flights are always after noon, one year after they missed Flight I heard passengers told at Gates they'll be lucky get home by Xmas, this on Dec 22. Post CV planes are now filled, few extras for stand by. Sure most time early flights will work out, just be ready if they don't

When I managed the parking at FLL and shortly after 9-11, it was very common to see lines running from TSA in terminal 1 all the way across the pedestrian bridge and into the garage.  What a mess.  I left FLL shortly after that and went to Port Everglades, what a difference.  Port Everglades was the perfect pre-retirement job, laid back.  Of course, things have changed drastically since 2005 when I retired from the parking business.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jackadapt said:

We sail Odyssey of the Seas and will get back to FLL at 6 AM on a Saturday.  There is a flight leaving FLL at 9:11 AM.  If we take all our luggage with us and line up to get off the ship at 6 AM, should we be OK?  The next direct flight to the SF Bay Area doesn't leave until 8:30 PM.

Though you would most likely be able to make the flight , One thing noone has mentioned is that if you have travel insurance , they would require a minimum amount of time between docking and flight time or you will not be covered . I ran into this a few years back and was told I needed 4 hrs , but I can't remember if that was MIA or FLL

Cheers

22 hours ago, jackadapt said:

You should be fine. Take a taxi to the airport which is just outside the cruise port. Have a great cruise!

6am does not mean much.  In General usually if you walk off it will be at least 7am maybe a bit later.  If you get in line early and walk off you should be in a cab before 730 and to FLL by 7:45.  It would help if you are TSA precheck. I would say you can do it but not much pad. 

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

When I managed the parking at FLL and shortly after 9-11, it was very common to see lines running from TSA in terminal 1 all the way across the pedestrian bridge and into the garage.  What a mess.  I left FLL shortly after that and went to Port Everglades, what a difference.  Port Everglades was the perfect pre-retirement job, laid back.  Of course, things have changed drastically since 2005 when I retired from the parking business.  

Just 2 decades ago I was parking so close to the Ship I could throw a penny from my Balcony and hit it. Was out in open, parked in front of Ship in Miami. I got home from Cruise 6am 9/11/01, lucky as was just me and 3 Kids, 3, 5 & 10. Unfortunately was back in Florida during the Anthrax scare. Even Disney was searching coat pockets, strollers and Diaper bags. Then was getting off a Cruise when got to Airport, take my shoes off? Was day of Shoe Bomber and took over 3hrs to get threw check in, not even security. Traveling and Cruising was cheap really then, can see why

• Like 1

I'd prefer a later flight but this can be done. Just be prepared that something could go wrong. If you can deal with that is a question only you can answer. One thing people sometimes overlook with these early flight questions is that TSA is often quick early in the morning. They get backed up when all the cruise passengers start showing up a little later.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:34 AM, jackadapt said:

you can also monitor the incoming flight as well.  We do that when embarking as we are one of those who fly in the day of with only a direct flight about 75% of time.  Being that the next flight is 830p, I'd go for the 911am flight as long as you self disembark, taxi, TSA pre check and have good mobility.  Not sure when you are cruising but if its winter and your incoming flight is coming south, I'd keep an eye out for any possible delays which will work to your advantage.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 12:34 AM, jackadapt said:

You should be fine if all goes well.  We have been at our gate before 8am in the past.  I would not try this if you are sailing on a holiday weekend, especially Thanksgiving weekend.

This is not a direct response to the OP's issue:

There is a new game(s) in town, not the old inbound running late, or weather causing delays, or fuel truck running late, et al.  The new game(s) is/are lack of crew, lack of pilots, computer software issues, ransom hacks, strikes (actually strikes are old issues), and a few more I can't think of right now.  And many of the above issues don't even have to directly affect the flight(s) you have booked to be an issue for you.  Your aircraft can be sitting on the tarmac in the previous airport, waiting on,  unfortunately, crew member(s), pilot(s), or all the above, and the aircraft doesn't make it to your debarkation airport.  Having said all that, I don't fly for many reasons, the above just being a few of them.

Back to the OP's question:

As far as getting to FLL in time, chances are you will be fine, but it is, no matter what others say, a roll of the dice.  I wouldn't do it.  Since the OP is looking to get back to the SF Bay Area, driving isn't much of an option, LOL.  I'd do it, but that's me!

JMHO

If everything goes perfectly (and often it does), you will make that flight.  In the other hand, I have been on multiple cruises where disembarkation has been delayed for a variety of reasons.  If you chose the early flight and disembarkation is delayed, don’t allow anyone in your party to be the cranky or mouthy passenger in the disembarkation line.  Remember you knew you were taking a calculated risk when you booked a very early flight and sometimes those calculated risks don’t work out.  Have a back up plan and use it if needed.

• Thanks 1

There is someone that posted on another cruise line about a woman that refused to go to guest services to finalize her bill.  She held people up for who knows how long.  He’s got it on YouTube; (I hope I don’t get banned, but it was the Carnival Venezia).  Anything can happen.  So many things are out of our control.

I was on the Oasis around 2015 when a guy jumped off the ship on the last night . 

Ship had to circle back to try and find him and we were late getting into port .

There were many nervous pax jam packed on the promenade deck that morning. 

I remember telling a couple sitting next to me in the dining room how easy it was to self disembark.

I wonder what they thought of me if they chose to self disembark.😃