The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 21st, 2023

richwmn

Peace was the chapel theme yesterday at HIU (it's always on Wednesday) and there were prayers and readings from various religious traditions. The most recent lectures in the psychology course I'm taking through edX were about gratitude.

The meal suggestion makes me feel a bit queasy, and I would rather have my Laphroaig straight. My alternative for the wine is Buttonwood Grove 2021 Sauvignon Blanc, which they say is made in the New Zealand style. The winery overlooks Cayuga Lake and also has cabins for rent. I haven't been to any port in Brazil.

Stonehenge has been legally protected since 1882 and is now owned by the Crown and managed by English Heritage; the surrounding land is owned by the National Trust. I visited it in my first trip to the UK, in 2008, when I rented cars twice. First at Gatwick Airport for touring in the southeast, using Rye as a base and returning the car at Canterbury, and then picking up another rental car at Salisbury to visit the southwest and the Cotswolds, returning that car at Gatwick. A friend who came out from London to meet me at Rye constantly exclaimed "We're lost! We should be there by now!" because she didn't realize how slowly I was driving on minor roads.

I'm a little frustrated in the edX course, because part of the grade is earned by replying to others' posts in discussion forums, but I seem to be ahead of everyone else, so most topics have no posts for replying to. There could be thousands of people enrolled, but many would be auditing and not necessarily submitting any of the work.

Dinner last night was ratatouille and scrambled eggs. That was supposed to be for the night before but I didn't get home in time to make ratatouille. I'm not sure about tonight's dinner, partly because I have class until 7:00 p.m., but also because I have too much of too many vegetables on hand. I'm thinking I should blanch the green beans and save them for later, and have the "it's like bok choy" tonight.

medicaladvice.thumb.jpg.ff9b3dafb5c281ceabb01a6a07efb5f3.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 28

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu Jacqui I don't know how much cheese Ivan ate, but Oliver gets cheese for part of his raw diet. Now if Oliver would stop eating crickets and leaves... 

LOL on the crickets and leaves.  That sounds like Miko 😂 

Ivan only got aroun 2 -2.5 ounces of cheese but it was a very rich one.  Cheese and arthritis do not go along.  I’m thinking it has aggravated his arthritis (not to mention all his activity in the last couple of days).    

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone know how to reach a moderator that can explain why our topics are getting locked out? At least that way we know what to avoid so we can continue with our Daily discussions?

It is in the guidelines but best not to question on here.

It says email community@cruisecritic.com for any guidance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone know how to reach a moderator that can explain why our topics are getting locked out? At least that way we know what to avoid so we can continue with our Daily discussions?

Community@cruisecritic.com I believe.

On the help page at the bottom in case you want to check to see if there is a better email/method.

IMG_1166.thumb.png.0abea032de338fd8cb182db2047d7978.png

IMG_1167.thumb.png.15d531b46ffb107471b7ddd4d77cfa82.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. I am on a count down for my Tales of the South Pacific cruise. Suitcase is packed but still have to do all my smalls. Hope everyone has a good day.  

Yippee!  Sounds like you are all set 👍 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@ocean sounds Congrats on the cruise and upgrade. When I cruised to Hawaii from LA, the Pacific wasn't bad in terms of waves, but it was chilly outside the first few days

Thanks @JazzyV for the cool days info.  Will pack appropriately now! 

I hope your pain subsides soon.  It must have felt like it flared up after weaning off ibuprofen.   Wishing you pain-free days. 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 13

In my humble opinion I’m thinking it’s being locked to prevent continued post after the day. IMO it’s a Daily and we don’t need three to four Daily threads on the front page. I may be wrong but that’s what I’m thinking. It does get a little confusing when there are a couple Daily post.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

In my humble opinion I’m thinking it’s being locked to prevent continued post after the day. IMO it’s a Daily and we don’t need three to four Daily threads on the front page. I may be wrong but that’s what I’m thinking. It does get a little confusing when there are a couple Daily post.

I was thinking the same thing, Bruce.

It seems to get locked after the day’s Daily is posted.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 9

I think Bruce is right also.  One concern I have is that I usually have time to go over the Daily in the evening when I spend an hour or so on the computer around 9:00 PM.  However, that is midnight on the East Coast so it seems too late to add a comment to that Daily.  Then, of course we are discussing different things the next day.  That is the main reason why although I always read the Daily, I seldom comment.

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Maybe I should limit my post each day. Maybe CC will only allow RNB to post five times per day before they crack day! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

55 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I was thinking the same thing as well.  Once a new Daily is started they expect the conversation to move over there.  Kind of like what Jacqui wanted to have happen with the Future Cruise List.

• Like 13

@cat shepard  A suggestion about your car search.  We had the same issue in Fl when we wanted a 4 wheel drive.  I contacted the USA site and found the car we wanted out of state.  The price was better than the front wheel drive in Fl.  Just get the price quoted with everything included , all fees etc except for sales tax.  All paperwork was done over the internet and the car delivered to our home.  Also you can find a good car agent who can do the work for you.

So sorry to hear about everyone’s medical issues.  It is hard getting older!!

We are enjoying our cruise to Alaska on the Noordam.   We got to Anchorage a bit early. We are waiting for the crowds to disperse and then we will head out.  We have been here multiple times so we are just going to walk around.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas where it is 89F and feels like 97F.  The weather app says the humidity says the humidity is 57%, but with the dew point at 72F  it still feels like it's very humid.  After an hour working in the yard, I felt like I was back in The Woodlands where you started sweating when you opened the door. 

This morning I picked up three bags of top soil to fill in the places where I pulled the crabgrass earlier this week.  I also picked up doughnuts while I was out, so after we finished a late breakfast, and I got a couple of things done around the house to work in the yard.  First, I sprayed roundup on the crabgrass that I couldn't pull.  Then I spread the top soil, and scattered the Bermuda grass seed I'd gotten earlier.  After working the seeds into the top soil, I watered the front yard very well.  Now, I'll just have to see if the seeds sprout since it is late in the year to plant Bermuda seeds.  However, the seeds were designed for Texas and it does remain warm until sometime in October.  🤞

After I checked on the prices for our prescriptions with the national chain our regional grocery store sold their pharmacy operation to, we decided the slight increase was worth not having to drive almost 50 miles round trip to W-M.  It turns out when the prescriptions were ready, they were about 50% more expensive.  The pharmacy web-site said they'd check all discount sites like GoodRx and give us the lowest price.  It turns out that on two of the drugs they just went with the site for the other two.  There was another site that had much lower prices, and when I showed those coupons today, I got the lower prices.  It saved me a little more than $25, and the price increase was lowered to $12 and a few pennies.  It pays to do your homework.  

With our humid weather and with DH's surgery a week from today, we decided to hold off replacing the coils on the the convertible.  It drives all right, and when we got back from UTSW two weeks ago, the code reader showed no codes.  Sometimes, procrastination isn't a bad thing.  🤣

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It was only 53 when I took the dogs out this morning. It will get up to 70 later.

I read the Daily for the last few days but neglected to comment. I was sad to read about the DH of Melisa @Hal sailor. ( where are the blue bubbles when they are needed?) and hope the birthday was happy. It is so hard to watch a decline in function and I hope the docs can help.

@OceanSounds, Bon Voyage! I loved sailing the Pacific and hope you will too.

@rafinmd, Roy, I am so glad you opted to go on the cruises and hope you feel more energetic soon. It does take a while but I am confident you will get there.

@grapau27, Graham, I am very glad you got a good report from the Doctor. And I want to see Pauline’s feet on the dash!,

@ger_77, I hope your DH is feeling better . I am sorry that there is still smoke to contend with.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I took the same medication for years and always had a wonky stomach for a few days post injection. My rheumatologist said it was “ uncommon” as well. I also got the itchy rash. I hope you are feeling better.

@mamaofami, I hope your DH is home and that things continue to improve.

My son returned home yesterday and our smaller group ate dinner together last night with a meal I cooked. It was good to do something normal. The hospice equipment was finally removed yesterday and my bed will be reassembled tomorrow  when we have more help.The six days we had DH on hospice seemed like an eternity and now time seems to have sped up again.Both of my children continue to help with every possible thing which is greatly appreciated. Today we will pick up the urn an d find a spot in the house  that is good.We are starting to think of what we want to do for the Celebration of Life. My Lou loved a party and that will be a fitting goodbye from all of us.

I am so glad that this community is here every day.

Terry, I agree with Joy that you are a very strong person when faced with what you've faced the last couple of years.  I'm glad your children are helping you.  Since your Lou loved a party, that sounds like a very good way to say goodbye, but still let everyone know he is not forgotten.

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Back from our last excursion of this cruise and then lunch in the Buffet. Tonight we set sail back to Hamburg with two sea days. Then two days in Copenhagen before flying home on Tuesday. One of my first tasks when home will be to get my phone fixed as the SIM card failed. I can still use WiFi though. It also seems that I can't transfer photos to my phone either

We have had good weather in Ireland. Yesterday we took the bus from Dun Laoghaire into Dublin and walked around the area of Merrion Square. Today we docked at Ringaskiddy (across from Cobh) and had an excellent excursion to Kinsale and Charles Fort. 

Tonight is the "White Night" celebration. Our MDR time is 6:00 pm which is the same time as the sailaway so need to decide which one we will do. It has been a nice cruise and sad to see it ending Sunday. Some photos have blue cast for some reason. Sorry.

Stay Safe and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Cobh

0921230811b.thumb.jpg.d89d3028771e70cda0618852c324da49.jpg

Cobh with the Regal Princess docked.

0921230805.thumb.jpg.9cac181295dc9e2853ce492d9d06a020.jpg

Kinsale in the distance

09212311562.thumb.jpg.bb12acb833772784ef9e9764e502ec5a.jpg

Three of six different types of pizza!

0921231355a.thumb.jpg.88e011ff3712d315ed4e4aead1377962.jpg

Grilled Blackened Salmon

0919231848.thumb.jpg.3e1a97b1c4746f7a35c1cfe6bac0ac24.jpg

Crunchy Crusted Pork Chop

0919231848a.thumb.jpg.608471a02de50f70f82b231ad3371b80.jpg

Gateau Opera cake

0919231905.thumb.jpg.7d532bf9ec4fa5fa19b1b53c3f70894a.jpg

Jack, enjoy your two sea days and then your time in Copenhagen.

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

I figure I better write now than wait til later when I might get locked out.  I was next to the last poster on yesterday’s thread before it got locked.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  I like the days.  

Peace and Gratitude go together.  What a wonderful world it could be if we all adhered to these principles.  I haven’t played Mini Golf in a while, but it was always fun when we did that.  DBIL used to love that.

I will skip the meal and drink.  Maybe the wine.  I have not been to the port.

I agree with Roy @rafinmd about the quote.

We expect some bad weather today.  There is a tropical depression off the east coast.  So today is a day for inside activities.  I have a lot of ironing to do so i may try to make a dent in that.

I also have a lot of clothes that no longer fit me.  I have lost about 22 pounds.  I need to get them ready for the thrift shop.  So I have enough projects to keep me busy for a rainy day.  I am sure they will not all get done today.

@JazzyV Thank you for keeping me on the Cares list.  I am doing better, and I think you can remove me.  i will let you know about my cousin as soon as I find out.  The last I heard, she was seeing a wound doctor, due to an infection at the wound site.

@smitty34877I hope you are doing okay.  You and your family are in my prayers.  i am happy that you have family near you to see you through this difficult time.

@mamaofami I’m glad your Sam is home.  I hope he recuperates well from the surgery.

@HAL Sailer Prayers for you and your DH.

@rafinmdGlad you decided to take that cruise.

Prayers for all who need them.  Especially Baby Murphy.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising and getting ready to cruise.

Happy Thursday.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I think I'd rather spend a rainy day with a good book instead of ironing.  However, we're supposed to get rain Sunday night and all day Monday, so I'll be cleaning house on a rainy day.  😒

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. We’re back from the vet and Tux has been given the all clear. Back tomorrow with Houdini. 

I'm glad Tux has been given the all clear.  I hope Houdini gets a good report from the bloodwork.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce, I was thinking the same thing the other day when DH and I talked about the locked threads.  However, since some of us look at and comment on the Daily late at night and first thing in the morning, I would like to see it kept open for a few hours to most of the next day before it is locked.  We don't need more than the current and the previous day's Daily open.  Earlier this week, someone replied to a Daily from mid-August which was a stretch.

21 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

@cat shepard  A suggestion about your car search.  We had the same issue in Fl when we wanted a 4 wheel drive.  I contacted the USA site and found the car we wanted out of state.  The price was better than the front wheel drive in Fl.  Just get the price quoted with everything included , all fees etc except for sales tax.  All paperwork was done over the internet and the car delivered to our home.  Also you can find a good car agent who can do the work for you.

So sorry to hear about everyone’s medical issues.  It is hard getting older!!

We are enjoying our cruise to Alaska on the Noordam.   We got to Anchorage a bit early. We are waiting for the crowds to disperse and then we will head out.  We have been here multiple times so we are just going to walk around.  

I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise.  Alaska never gets old.  BTW, when we bought our Prius in 2008, DH found what we wanted at a dealership in Phoenix.  We were in Quartzsite at the time.  He ordered the car online and we picked it up later that day.  We were lucky as it had just come in that morning and probably would have been gone the next day.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon!!! I am late and no real reason. Just have the slows today and there is no reason to hustle. Weather is sunny.... lows are starting to dip into the high 30's and the highs are in the low 70's. Nice Fall weather.

I am continuing to try to work on downsizing and also beginning to organize for the GA in that I am culling some clothes. Also got some info today on shipping of luggage. Will deal with that later in October. And I am reading and trying to get some books out of here so that a couple of book cases can follow them out the door. I will probably start to panic in late November.

Off to pick up dog food (critical) and check laptops at a couple of stores. Not sure what communication devices will make the trip with me. My phone for sure.... but then??????

Take care all and positive thoughts and prayers to all.

Susan

• Like 20

Hello Dailyites! 

I will attempt to move to contributor from lurker status, if only briefly 🙄. And before yet another day's contribution gets locked.

I do read this wonderful outpouring of comradeship practically every day - smiling at the achievements; tearing up when reading of challenges and loss; laughing out loud at some of the memes and observations; pondering the contributions by the amazing F&B team. Thank you all -- not just for brightening my day, but making this such a treasured refuge. And it is so heartening to read the people continue to 'discover' this thread.

We are among some very lucky people who are counting down to boarding a BHB. We fly to Quebec next Wednesday for a few days before boarding the Zuiderdam as she repositions to FLL. Most of my attempts with private tours collapsed earlier this week when I realized revised arrival & departure times at some ports were in play. Unfortunately, the vendors were either unable to accommodate the new timing or wouldn't/couldn't guarantee getting to the ship by All Aboard, so we cancelled most of them. The good news is we wee able to book tours with HAL Shore Ex. Given that this hurricane season still seems to have some life left in it, it seems a prudent thing to do.

Next up: Actually starting 'the cull' in terms of what to pack. It's a regional jet to Toronto, so it will be a small roll aboard and one checked case (which we usually take into the cabin on big jets) for each of us. Thankfully, we have the 4* star perk of free laundry while on board.

We have received our annual flu shot and the RSV vaccine, but have not been able to get our 6th COVID yet. There are reports of COVID cases on recent sailings of the Zuiderdam, so we will be packing masks, as well.

Best wishes all,

-Cat

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1